  Re: How to fix bad sectors on HD? (Jimenez Martinez Angel Luis)

From: Jem Berkes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,aus.computers.linux,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Big Trouble with Sendmail
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 00:14:12 -0600

This sounds rather strange, and part of the problem might be added
complexities that Outlook Express is introducing (??). Try JBMail, my
"light-weight" direct POP3 access windows utility. You will be able to
find out if you can get into your mailbox or not, and it will return the
precise error message as reported by your mail server.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/trialware/jbmail.html

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts point to MASQ machines???
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:14:13 -0500

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000, Rick Goh wrote:
>How does it blow a hole in my firewall? Sorry but i'm not security savvy.
>Could u please elaborate? thanks.
>
>Regards.
>

><moonie>; ")" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2000, Rick Goh wrote:
>> >I have managed to set up 2 virtual hosts. They are residing on my linux
>> >server;  /www/client1  &  /www/client2.
>> >
>> >However, what I want is to have them hosted on my other 2 clients which
>are
>> >IP MASQ machines.
>> >
>> >Scenario to be achieved:
>> >http://client1.domain.com  -->  192.168.1.100
>> >http://client2.domain.com  -->  192.168.1.200
>> >
>> >How can the above be achieved?
>> >
>> >Regards.
>>
>> Why would you want to, this blows a hole through your firewall, bad idea.
>> --
>> moonie ;)
>>
>> Registered Linux User #175104
>>    http://counter.li.org
>>
>> KDE2
>> Kernel 2.4.0-test5
>> XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
>> RAID 0 Striped
>> Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

It allows unrestricted access to the machines inside your firewall, granted
this is just port 80, but ANY unrestricted access is an invitation to intrusion.

From: "Kousik Nandy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is It Possible to Mount a DOS Partition?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:25:57 +0530

mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /xyz

[also read man pages of mount]

------------------------------

From: "Kerry Koppert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:27:05 +1300

"JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:hw%W5.599$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> My Linux (Slackware 2.0.38) mail server has been partial down all day.
>
> First of all, users keep having trouble logging in from Outlook Express.
> They were rejected for putting in "incorrect password".  But I have reset
> the password many many times.  They can even log in from Telnet sessions.

This is not sendmail but your pop3 server. Telnet to the server on port 110
and type
USER theusername
PASS thepassword

> I then deleted the user account and the mail file from the
"/var/spool/mail"
> directory and recreated the account.  Now this user get a different error
> message which said something about failing to open "new temporary file"
and
> was asked "do you own it?".  Since it is just a message that Outlook
Express

Sounds like your pop3 server is creating a temporary file possibly
/tmp/username and there is an existing file owned by the old user (same name
different uid) find the file and delete it or change the owner to match the
new uid (chown username username).

------------------------------

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 22:36:27 -0800

Thanks. Let me add a little more. I'm operating off of a RH rescue disk and the DOS
partitions are on a
DOS partition. In fact, one machine has a DOS partition, an NT partition, and a Linux
partition. The
other machine has an NT partition and a a Linux partition. It's the second machine
where I ultimately
move some source files from the Linux parition to the NT FAT16 partition. I guess I
could write the
stuff to a floppy, as well. Fortunately, there are only about 50-60 source files that
are about 25K
apiece.

From: Jc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to fix bad sectors on HD?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:34:35 +0900

I currently have RH 6.2 installed and recently I have been getting some
problems and these seem to be caused by bad sectors on my HD since I
keep getting read errors poping up on my console ...

How to I go about cchecking my HD for bad sectors, fixing them and then
marking the sectors as bad?

Jc

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing from acrobat
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:42:50 +0100

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Douglas Nichols wrote:

> I downloaded acrobat 4.x for linux, runs fine, but doesn't print. I ran
> it from the command line doesn't seem to spit anything out to the stdout
> like an error message. Printer works fine and it is printing correctly
> to the lpr and I can print from everyother app to lpr.
> Anyone have an idea about this?

try printing to a file, printing a different pdf, printing with the -s
option on lpr (when the print window pops up).
                                                      Gerald

PS: if it's solely printing pdfs, you could use xpdf/ghostview.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:27:17 +0800
From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag?

As title, do I need to defrag it to maintain performance just like
Windows platform?
If yes, any defrag software avaliable? I have download one from
freshmeat but it need a ext2.h file and I don't have it...

------------------------------

From: Monika Strack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Plexwriter 12/10/32A not verify after write
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:03:01 +0100

 Hallo,

In on PC I have the Plexwriter for read and write only. I have
install this ATAPI-CDRW like it is describet in the CD-Write-HOWTO
and "cdrecord -scanbus" found the CD-Writer.
I can write CDs with Xcdroast, but I can not verify the CDs and I can
not read anny other CDs.
The CD, which I have burne can I read in other PCs, it is ok.

I use RedHat 6.2 with the Kernel 2.2.17.  Loopback device, IDE-CD,
IDE-SCSI, SCSI-Support,
Generic SCSI and SCSI-CD are modules; The ISO 9660-filesystem and the
Joliet-Filesystems are
in the kernel. The vendor-vendor spezific Option are enabelt.

Here ware my configurations and the logs for this machine:

/etc/lilo.conf
:
image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.17-5
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
:

/etc/conf.modules
options ide-cd ignore=hdc            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore
hdc
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
#pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm    # uncomment for some ZIP drives
only
pre-install sg     /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod

pre-install ide-scsi /sbin/modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before
ide-scsi

> ls -lsa /dev/cdrom
0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Nov 29 09:22 /dev/cdrom ->
scd0

> cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.02' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ide-scsi                7316   0  (autoclean)
sg                         12160   0  (autoclean)
scsi_mod           37860   2  (autoclean) [ide-scsi sg]

> mount /dev/cdrom -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ide-scsi                 7316   0  (autoclean)
sr_mod                17064   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  27100   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
scsi_mod             37860   2  (autoclean) [ide-scsi sr_mod]

/var/log/messages
:
Nov 29 09:23:05  localhost kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation
for IDE ATAPI devices
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel:   Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-R
PX-W1210A  Rev: 1.02
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel:   Type:
CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer
cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us
more data than expected - discarding data
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost last message repeated 83 times
Nov 29 09:23:05 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

Can someone help we.

Thanks

Monika

Monika Strack
Institut fuer Tierzucht und Tierverhalten
Bundesforschungsanstalt fuer Landwirschaft

31535 Neustadt               e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Germany                      Tel: +49 5034 /871 154
                             Fax: +49 5034 /92579

From: kari savolainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: enlightenment questions
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 08:13:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have recently switched to enlightenment..
>
> A couple of things I have noticed that I could use some help with:
>
> Each window used to have an option for moving the window to another
> workspace on the pager and now there is not, at least that I can tell.
> How can I do this with Enlightmenment installed?

It looks like Ctrl+Alt+Right-arrow moves the window to the next desktop,
I only have one desktop so I haven't tried that.

> Also, when I left click or right click the desktop, I get
> Enlightmentment menus.
> Is there anyway to modify these hotkey so that perhaps Shift+left
> click or Shift+right click do this instead?

The file you have to edit is
/usr/share/enlightenment/config/keybindings.cfg, you would probably want
something like this (not tested):

  __NEXT_ACTION
    __TOOLTIP_ACTION_TEXT "Display Enlightenment Menu"
    __EVENT __KEY_PRESS
    __KEY Right
    __MODIFIER_KEY __SHIFT
    __ACTION __A_SHOW_MENU "named ROOT_2"

// kari

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:36:53 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>As title, do I need to defrag it to maintain performance just like
>Windows platform?

Not really.  The FAT filesystem and variants are the only filesystems
for Intel systems which require regular defragmenting.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Eden Prairie, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scaling images
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 08:51:04 GMT

Hello all,

  I have graphic files in either tiff or ps format that I have to scale down
in order to fit a full printer page.  Otherwise only a portion of the file is
printed.  Is there a utility somewhere that can do this?

Alain

From: "mu6sys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Problem
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:31:52 +0200

Hi!
How can I configure my soundblaster card for Linux Red Hat 6.2?
sndconfig doesn't help: during initialisation everything OK(I hear sounds
and music),but I can't play wav and mp2 files.
what can be the problem?

please mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Alex
P.S.
Can anybody help me find video fullscreen packet that worlk from the command
line?
thanks.

------------------------------

From: cj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installing linux by itself
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:30:22 -0000

i want to install linux by itself on an old pentium 75 by itself (no dual
boot) it does not have a bootable cdrom how can i do this (i have linux
installed on another computer)
any help would be appreciated.
cameron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VM on LINUX
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:37:11 GMT

ello,

I need info on Virtual Memory in Linux. Is there any structures
available which will be having members like total virtual memory, free
virtual memory, reserved virtual memory.
In Windows NT , the strucure MEMORYSTATUS does provide all the above
members.
Any help in this regard is deeply appreciated.

Regards
shaalin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Reynolds)
Subject: Re: Runing WINE without WINDOWS partition
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:58:00 GMT

In article <90hndh$6hq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:18:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> >I want to run a WINDOWS .EXE program and download and installed WINE
>> >but I do not have a WINDOWS partition.
>> >How i configure WINE to run the .EXE program?
>>
>> This is well documented.  Go to the wine home page (www.winehq.com)
>> and follow the documentation links.
>
> I went to that home page but I don't know what does it mean with create
> a empty c:\windows....., directories. I only have a Linux partition and
> how can a create those directories.

I use a /usr/local/windows directory and configure WINE to use that.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.hedgford.demon.co.uk/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

------------------------------

From: jabba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing linux by itself
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:38:04 +0300

cj wrote:

> i want to install linux by itself on an old pentium 75 by itself (no dual
> boot) it does not have a bootable cdrom how can i do this (i have linux
> installed on another computer)
> any help would be appreciated.
> cameron

I did it with Slackware 4.0 and some later distributions.
You have to make  Slackware Boot&Root floppies on other machine
with the "cat filename > /dev/fd0"
where filename is a boot or root image distributed with Slackware, and
/dev/fd0 is floppy device.
Then boot following instructions in some help files and say "setup".
Jabba

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jimenez Martinez Angel Luis)
Subject: Re: Scaling images
Date: 5 Dec 2000 09:53:38 GMT

Aulne ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hello all,

>   I have graphic files in either tiff or ps format that I have to scale down
> in order to fit a full printer page.  Otherwise only a portion of the file is
> printed.  Is there a utility somewhere that can do this?

> Alain

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Have you tried using The Gimp?? It works quite well for my needs. But if you
want to convert between image formats and apply some modifications take a look
at Imagemagick package. It has a console  program called "convert" which do
these kind of things.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jimenez Martinez Angel Luis)
Subject: Re: How to fix bad sectors on HD?
Date: 5 Dec 2000 09:56:19 GMT

Jc ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I currently have RH 6.2 installed and recently I have been getting some
> problems and these seem to be caused by bad sectors on my HD since I
> keep getting read errors poping up on my console ...

> How to I go about cchecking my HD for bad sectors, fixing them and then
> marking the sectors as bad?

> Jc

badblocks is the answer, but I think that e2fsck can do the same with a
comandline option:

man e2fsck
man badblocks