From: Jared <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: updating rpm
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:12:44 +1000

What you want to do is edit this file (or the same thing, whever your
distro put it)

/usr/lib/rpm/macros

Find a section that looks like this (you'll probably have 1's or maybe
3's)

#==============================================================================
# ---- Database configuration macros.
#       Macros used to configure Berkley db parameters.
#
# Choose db interface:
#       0       same as 1
#       1       native db1 interface (e.g. linux glibc libdb1 routines).
#       2       native db2 interface (not currently implemented, may never
be).
#       3       native db3 interface.
#       -1      db3 -> db2 -> db1 (as available).
#
# There are two macros so that --rebuilddb can convert db1 -> db3.
#
%_dbapi                 3
%_dbapi_rebuild         3

to rebuild you change %dbapi to 1
then run

rpm --rebuilddb...

then change the %_dbapi to a 3, because thats what format your db will be
in now.

I am not sure if you have to run rpm --rebuild... again, although if
things go a bit crazy, give it a try.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: so where do you get the new realplayer?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:16:12 GMT

Douglas Nichols wrote:

> So whats the deal? I cannot find realplayer anywhere? Are they pulling
> support?
>
> --
> Douglas Nichols
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 121 Lakeside Ave., Suite 306
> Seattle, WA 98122
> 206.323.0860

http://huxley.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html?src=001206realhome_2,001204rpchoice_h2&dc=127126125

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than 98.870% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel)
Subject: Re: Monitor specs?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:25:53 GMT

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:30:14 -0000, Steven Atkinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a Pentium machine with RedHat 6.1 Installed along side Win 98SE.
>Surprisingly, my Linux installation went very smooth, that is until I
>reached the part where I am supposed to specify my monitor.  I scrolled up
>and down the list several times but did not find my particular monitor.  I
>picked the option that allowed me to specify my monitor, and then I used
>the lowest settings possible, just to be on the safe side.  Linux seems to
>be working fine on my machine, but the image displayed on the screen is
>very craptacular.  I would like to go back and change the monitor specs (I
>have found the directions for doing so). The trouble is, I don t know what
>is safe for this monitor.   I purchased this monitor about 3 years ago, and
>I cannot figure out what the actual manufacture is.  Above the picture
>screen on the case is printed the words  EmpVision  and  Low Radiation.
>The literature that came with it does not mention any manufactures, but in
>one of the pictures in the manual the word  Vision Lab  is found below the
>picture screen next to the digital controls.  Also,  GM-710" and  GM-710A
>are printed on the front cover of the manual, but do not appear anywhere on
>the monitor. My question is, Will any of these other monitors in the drop
>down list work in place of my monitor, or if I do specify my own settings
>what is safe to use for this monitor. Any advice will be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>--
Try working backwards using the resolutions w98 gives under
the display properties and any refresh rate information from
the advanced properties portion and this excellent site's
frequency resolution tables and general information.

http://ms.ha.md.us/%7Ehawks/hardware/

If there is an FCC number on the monitor this may provide a
lead to the manufacturer:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

There is also a monitor database in the w98 tree, maybe
under windows\inf (in w95 several files there) that you
can search through for the numbers/names you have so far.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: webqueen, queen of the web <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting back Gnome Panel
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:18:36 GMT

I installed enlightenment and lost the Gnome menu at the bottom of the
screen. Its called the panel I think? Can someone advise me how to get
it back?

Also, I used the Gnome Menu editor and added items to the User Menu, yet
they don't show up? Is there a trick?

Cheers,
WQ

--
Time is nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Subject: Re: Applixware 5 crashes Red Hat 7
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:38:46 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:57:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>C.Wong> Christopher Wong wrote:
>>>  This is most unnerving. I recently installed Applixware Office
>>> 5.0, upgrading from version 4.4.1. I tried the word processor. When
>>> I selected some text and tried changing the font, Red Hat 7 would
>>> crash. Hard. The screen goes blank and the machine would suddenly
>>> and silently (or with a beep) reboot. The file system was not
>>> cleanly unmounted, so an fsck was forced. This has happened several
>>> times, both with XFree86 4.0.1 and 3.3.6 servers.
>
>>> My machine used to run Mandrake 7 before I installed Red Hat 7 over
>>> it, in case that is relevant. At this point, I don't even know
>>> where to begin diagnosing this problem. The syslog is useless,
>>> since the crash is sudden and silent. The only thing I did was to
>>> select text in the word processor and change the font. I believe I
>>> have installed most of Red Hat's fixes, including the latest glibc
>>> 2.2.
>The symptoms seem a whole lot more consistent with there being a
>problem with the X server.
>
>Theorized scenario:
>- ApplixWare makes some request to the X server that tickles a bug;
>- X server then asks for some memory it ought not to;
>- System tumbles on down.
>
>This is _the_ typical way that apps wind up hanging up the system
>_completely_.
>
>The "font change" sounds consistent with this; if the X server has
>some memory aboard for buffering fonts, it would make sense that the
>point in time at which the system would tumble would be when font data
>is being thrown around in video memory.
>
>What kind of video card have you got?  If it's a pretty new one, whose
>support under X has not yet matured, that would be further suggestive
>of the theory representing the cause...  As for answers/solutions,
>that's yet another step down the road...

Thanks for offering your theories. What I have here is an ATI XPert 98
video card, which has been around for a while. I am running this on a
motherboard with a KT133 chipset and a Duron 700 processor. The tricky
part about blaming the X server is that I have the same problem with 2
different servers (4.0.1 and 3.3.6). To complicate matters further,
another Red Hat 7 system does not exhibit this problem. While I have had
X-related hangs before, this is the first time I have seen a hard reboot
caused by an application. I am beginning to wonder if this is hardware
related.

Chris

------------------------------

From: webqueen, queen of the web <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI All-In-Wonder + RH7
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:44:53 GMT

Finally an O/S release with drivers for this card! I couldn't even find
it in SuSe.

Now that I selected ATI All-in-Wonder drivers, does this mean I can
watch TV now somehow? Does anyone know how to turn on the TV ap?

Cheers,
WQ

--
Time is nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once.

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Extracting Files from a Linux Tape on a Broken Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:17:09 -0800

Well, I finally got to try out the mounts that have been suggested, but could not what
I'm supposing is
the DOS
paritions, hda1. I have DOS, NT and Linux on the system I experimented with. I had no
trouble mounting
the
Linux partition(s) with the RH 6.2 rescue disk. I could not execute a DIR command.
mount showed only
that I have mounted a linux partition, cdrom, etc.

--
                         "You guys line up alphabetically by height."
                          -- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

                                            Wayne T. Watson
                       Web Page: http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view (Updated 6/21/2000)
                       Imaginarium Science Museum:
                       http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view/imaginarium.html

------------------------------

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is It Possible to Mount a DOS Partition?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:24:02 -0800

Well, I finally got to try out the mounts  mentioned somewhere in responses, but could
not mount
what I'm supposing is the DOS parition, hda1. In particular I tried, mount -t msdos
/dev/hda1
/mtn/dos, but could not detect the mount with the mount command or DIR (which does not
seem to exist
on my RH 6.2 rescue disk).
I have DOS, NT and Linux on the system I experimented with. I had no trouble mounting
the Linux
partition(s) with the RH 6.2 rescue disk.  mount showed only that I have mounted a
linus partition,
cdrom, etc. Perhaps I need to use mount -t vfat. I'll try it. My NT 4.0 partitions are
FAT 16.

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:36:53 -0800

Christopher Wong wrote:

> >The symptoms seem a whole lot more consistent with there being a
> >problem with the X server.
> >
> >Theorized scenario:
> >- ApplixWare makes some request to the X server that tickles a bug;
> >- X server then asks for some memory it ought not to;
> >- System tumbles on down.
> >
> >This is _the_ typical way that apps wind up hanging up the system
> >_completely_.
> >
> >The "font change" sounds consistent with this; if the X server has
> >some memory aboard for buffering fonts, it would make sense that the
> >point in time at which the system would tumble would be when font data
> >is being thrown around in video memory.
> >
> >What kind of video card have you got?  If it's a pretty new one, whose
> >support under X has not yet matured, that would be further suggestive
> >of the theory representing the cause...  As for answers/solutions,
> >that's yet another step down the road...
>
> Thanks for offering your theories. What I have here is an ATI XPert 98
> video card, which has been around for a while. I am running this on a
> motherboard with a KT133 chipset and a Duron 700 processor. The tricky
> part about blaming the X server is that I have the same problem with 2
> different servers (4.0.1 and 3.3.6). To complicate matters further,
> another Red Hat 7 system does not exhibit this problem. While I have had
> X-related hangs before, this is the first time I have seen a hard reboot
> caused by an application. I am beginning to wonder if this is hardware
> related.
>
> Chris

Hiya-

I bought Applix Office 5 from Linux Central, then next day or so
saw your posting and went "oh-oh".

However I got the CD Tuesday, installed it, whence Applix works
perfectly as far as I can see.  I don't run it all that much, but
it looks very nice and I've had no problems at all.

I'm running RH 7.0, with the latest 2.4.0 test12 kernels.  My
system is a VA Linux box with a ~ 500MHz Celeron processor.  Just
thought you would like another data point.

Cheers, Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:39:26 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery info

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Neil Montgomery wrote:
>
> >What I did not do is record the details of the partition table, which
> >is unfortunate, since the Windows95 reinstallation helpfully removed
> >it for me.
>
> I've never hand Win9x actually remove any non-DOS partitions
> when I did installs.  If it really did, then you've run across
> a particularly virulent strain of the Win9x desease.

I've seen various windows installs suggest that an unknown partition be
"fixed". Yeah, right.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:40:42 -0800

mount -t vfat ... did the trick. I was able to cp a file from a Linux partition to the
DOS (FAT 16)
partition.

From: Xar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MIME File Question
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:03:59 -0600

Does anyone know where I might find documentation on MIME file specs?

Reason: I am looking for some specs... so I can write some apps... that
can take incoming mail traffic. Once taken apart it would scan the file
attachments for binaries or other specified file types. It's basically
going to filter out mail so SUEs don't keep opening up virus files.
FPROT just isn't doing a good enough job.

Any help would be much appreciated. If there is already some linux
packages that do this I would be happy for their names and where I can
find the RPMs and some info on them or just the names and I'll dig
around.

Xar the Patryn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:54:43 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help w/ setting an environment var

John Hunter wrote:

> I have a system wide environment var set and exported in
> /etc/profile. I want to take the value of that var and prepend my own
> values to it in my .tcshrc file.
>
> setenv PERL5LIB $PERLHOME/lib:$PERL5LIB
>
> The problem is, during my first logon, apparently the .tcshrc file is
> loaded before the exports from /etc/profile are available to me.  So
> the tcshrc load crashes with an unknown variable on the PERL5LIB
> part (the problem is not with $PERLHOME).
>
> If I comment out the line above, the /etc/profile vars are available
> to me by the time my shell is loaded.  How and where should I define
> my PERL5LIB var so that the /etc/profile definition is available to me
> when I try to define it.
>
> Incidentally, other environment vars such as $HOME *are* available to
> me in the .tcshrc at first load.
>
> Thanks,
> John Hunter

The /etc/profile is not part of the tcsh or csh shells; .tcshrc does not
overwrite profile, profile is summarily ignored. Different files are
used for tcsh shell config. If you do "man tcsh", approximately 2800
lines down, you will see the "FILES" section. There it lists (for
system-wide) /etc/csh.cshrc, /etc/csh.login, and /etc/csh.logout. There
is actually a lot of flexibility in init files, and the complication is
that you have several choices.

If all users needed the PERL5LIB path, including system daemons, you
might want to put it in /etc/csh.cshrc (though I don't know of any
daemons which run tcsh, a process might fork off and use tcsh if the
parent did).

If all users that were actually logging in (excluding scripts being run
that are not actual users logged in), probably /etc/csh.login. For
example, colorizing ls listings is only useful for someone that has
logged in. Probably this is where you would want to edit the lines with
setenv PATH ".....".

If it is just for you, or some users and others don't need it, try
~/.tcshrc. E.G.,
setenv PATH ${PATH}:/my/personal/path
setenv PERLHOME /some/path/to/perl  # give PERLHOME a base path.
setenv PERL5LIB ${PERLHOME}/lib:$PERL5LIB # append to the path.

Rearrange to your favorite file, as required.