Linux-Misc Digest #580, Volume #26               Mon, 18 Dec 00 13:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: blindly accepted net advice--> blew away filesystem (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Swap File Size (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Serial port (Neil Cherry)
  Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem ("Chris")
  Re: lilo and win98 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Problem with tar/ssh (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Ideas for Senior project (Jason)
  Re: Problem with tar/ssh (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Linux disk blocksize ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Please help with redhat script ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot ("Richard")
  Re: Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem (Kae Verens)
  Re: HELP: any CGI script for users to change forwarded email addresses  (Kae Verens)
  Re: SB-live & Kernel 2.2.18 (Graham Vincent)
  Re: Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an operating system.
(Keep it to Usenet please)
  Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...) ("Dennis J. Tuchler")
  Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...) ("Dennis J. Tuchler")
  Re: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ? (Don Hinds)
  Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www  (The Real Bev)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.misc,comp.unix.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: blindly accepted net advice--> blew away filesystem
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:36:52 GMT

In article <916aa7$59d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Jacobson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Here's an example of what happens when you go blindly ahead and
>execute well intentioned netnews advice. What this message in big5
>Chinese says is that he wanted to remove his many "core" files, and
>the respondent forgot to tell him to add '-name' after 'find /' ...
>and indeed his entire filesystem was wiped. Don't let it happen to
>you. [From tw.bbs.comp.linux ]

I have no idea what the included message was - as my text only news
reader doesn't handle that.

But the message header saw 'well intentioned'.  Beware of anything
you read.  There are some people who will give you instructions on
purpose to trash a system.

A few months ago someone on a BSD group asked for help on an
install, and one poster "The Reverend Don Kool" - who preaches that
you should never run *IX on any iNTEL platform actually told
the poster to

cd /; rm -rf *

The poster did this - found out the hard way - but took it in
stride.

Trust nothing that you read unless it makes sense.  If it doesn't
make sense, or you don't understand what the command is doing,
don't do it.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap File Size
Date: 18 Dec 2000 16:33:30 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Stefano Ghirlanda wrote (in part):
>
> > If you have more than one disk, performance will improve with one swap
> > partition on each disk.
>
> I think this depends on many factors. I have two hard drives, with a
> swap partition on each. Both are activated. However, the configuration
> is the default that Red Hat 6.0 gives me, and as such, it uses the
> entire first swap partition before it starts with the second. So I do
> not see from where the performance improvement would come. I would have
> to do something about the priorities of the partitions. They are
> presently -1 and -2. I guess I would have to set them both to -1 or
> something like that, to get it to use both at once.

Yes, from the swapon(2) man page:

       Swap  pages  are  allocated  from areas in priority order,
       highest priority first.  For areas with different  priori-
       ties,  a  higher-priority area is exhausted before using a
       lower-priority area.  If two or more areas have  the  same
       priority,  and it is the highest priority available, pages
       are allocated on a round-robin basis between them.

> Since I have so much memory (512 Megabytes) for a desktop machine, only
> 22 Megabytes are swapped out at the moment (and, IIRC, this is something
> of a record) and I almost never see any swapping take place. Therefore,
> for me, swapping performance is of little interest.

Lucky guy!

--
Stefano - Hodie decimo quinto Kalendas Ianuarias MMI est

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Re: Serial port
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:37:28 GMT

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:24:51 +0200, mu6sys wrote:
>I need some program that  can read data from serial port.
>I wrote a C program  as described at  Serial Programming Guide for POSIX
>Operating Systems but it doesn't work.
>Can anybody help me?

Take a look at:

http://members.home.net/ncherry/common/x10d.cm11.c

It was written by Dan Lanciani but I modified it to work under
Linux.  If you have any questions just ask.

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:38:10 +1100

Hi everybody, I am desperate to get this box working
I installed mandrake 7.2 everything went fine in the install
routine and the open GL display looked great while this
took place, the resolution was fantastic.
I installed lilo because I'm dual booting between win 98 and mandrake 7.2
there is no problem through the boot process only when it tries to start the
X Windows I get nothing on the screen at all, only the mouse cursor which
works fine. When I installed it I chose 1024x768 at 4 billion colors I think
it's almost as if the windows are there but the resolution is to high.
I have a 3D Labs Oxygen VX1 Graphics Card, I can get in to the command
interpreter but I don't know how to change the resolution from there.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?

Thank's in advance!

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo and win98
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:29:08 -0600

Ron Nicholls wrote:

> I have installed win98 on the first 2gig partition, which runs fine alone,
> os2 on the second 2gig and linux
> on the next 2 gig ; it's a 20 gig drive with other partitons for apps
> Using lilo to boot each OS , linux and os2 boot successfully, but win 98
> prompts me with
> a line
> =======
> Type name of Command Interpreter eg. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
> A>
> =======
> It would be nice to have them all on the same drive.
> Lilo is installed in the MBR , is this a problem with win.
> Is there a HOWTO for win98
> The distribution is RedHat 7.0
>
> Regards RonN

This is almost certainly a problem with Win 98.  I can't think of
any way lilo would give you such a message.  There is something wrong
with the boot sequence for Windows which occurs after it gets started.

You can try looking at files like autoexec.bat and config.sys,
although I thought those were not necessarily used during the W98
boot process.  Also see if you can find the command processor.

In the end, you may have to reinstall W98.

If you can boot LInux, you should be able to mount the W98
partition and look at it.

What happens by the way if you enter
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND>COM
at the prompt?

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with tar/ssh
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:35:57 -0600

Jochen Witte wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> My problem:
> I want to redirect the output from tar over ssh to a file on a different
> computer. I tested
>         tar cOphz <directory> | ssh <remote-host> "cat > test"
>
> So far everything worked properly, but when I untar on the remote side,
> i get the following:
>         news/
>         news/news.crit
>         news/news.err
>         news/news.notice
>
>         gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
>         tar: Child returned status 2
>         tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>
> (news was the test-directory). The data seemed ok, but I don`t wan`t to
> see the error at the end...
> When I make the following
>         tar cOph <directory> | ssh <remote-host> "cat > test"
>
> (without compression) everything works fine (as we all expect).
>
> Can anybody tell me what the problem is?
>
> --
> Jochen Witte
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't kno what the problem is, but I've seen that happen frequently
and it doesn't make any difference.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ideas for Senior project
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:29:15 -0600

Depends on your programming level I would guess. If you are just starting
out, it seems that everyone writes a mail application in perl at first.
Some sort of right of passage.  If you are more seasoned, do something dead
sexy involving integration of a computer into anything. (IP over anything?)
 Some of my favorite things to play with are computers where computers
shouldnt be, www.mp3car.com has a lot of examples of people shoe horning
PCs into cars with some really bitchin results.   Or how about a home
stereo MP3 player with a twist, instead of broadcasting different streams
over wires to different rooms, broadcast over FM channels locally so all
you have to do is tune in to whatever format you want from any radio in the
home, just watch that output power.  I think I may go home and do that one
myself.   Just think of something that would make your life more convienent
and then decide if their is any way to work Linux into the mix.  That whole
Mother of All Invention thing..

--
Jason
      www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 17:35:35 +0100

Jochen Witte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> My problem:
> I want to redirect the output from tar over ssh to a file on a different
> computer. I tested
>       tar cOphz <directory> | ssh <remote-host> "cat > test"
>
> So far everything worked properly, but when I untar on the remote side,
> i get the following:
>       news/
>       news/news.crit
>       news/news.err
>       news/news.notice
>
>       gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
>       tar: Child returned status 2
>       tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

This means that gzip is seeing in the test file some extra data that
can't be interpreted as gzip-comressed data. Maybe ssh is adding
something to the output stream, like welcome messages etc.
Try ssh -q (quiet). Also try whether this results in the same message:

tar cOphz <directory> | (cd /tmp; tar xzf -)

(delete the stuff from /tmp afterwards).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Linux disk blocksize
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:33:04 GMT

HI Everyone,

We are running:

Linux someservername 2.2.14-VA.5.1smp #1 SMP
Tue Sep 12 21:26:21 PDT 2000 i686 unknown

On Solaris, I can find the blocksize used on the disks with:
df -g

What is the command to show the same thing in Linux?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please help with redhat script
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:33:29 GMT

Please help with redhat script

I am using redhat 7.0 and I would like to find out how to write a
script that I could run in cron.

I need the script to get my ip address and then email it to me.

This will have me login to my home computer from work.

please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you could help

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:45:49 GMT

"John-Paul Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> I think you may have misread.  I recently installed Corel
> PhotoPaint for Linux.  IIRC, I needed to restart my window
> manager in order to have it added to the menu.  There was a
> recommendation for a reboot there, but *not* a requirement.
>
> BTW, if you're looking for a distro for a new computer, I
> recommend Debian.  Corel Linux is based on Debian.  I've
> found some oddities about Corel's distro, but I *really*
> like the Debian stuff (package management, mainly).  That's
> more than you asked, so I'll shut up now....
>
> HTH,
>
> J-P Stewart

Thank you. No need to shup up.  I'vd been considering *BSD, Debian, Turbo,
or SeSu, but I've heard many quirky things about RH 7.

Richard

------------------------------

From: Kae Verens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:12:45 +0000

Chris wrote:

> Hi everybody, I am desperate to get this box working
> I installed mandrake 7.2 everything went fine in the install
> routine and the open GL display looked great while this
> took place, the resolution was fantastic.
> I installed lilo because I'm dual booting between win 98 and mandrake 7.2
> there is no problem through the boot process only when it tries to start the
> X Windows I get nothing on the screen at all, only the mouse cursor which
> works fine. When I installed it I chose 1024x768 at 4 billion colors I think
> it's almost as if the windows are there but the resolution is to high.
> I have a 3D Labs Oxygen VX1 Graphics Card, I can get in to the command
> interpreter but I don't know how to change the resolution from there.
>
> Can anyone please help me with this problem?

If you have other resolutions selected, you can use CTRL+ALT+- and
CTRL+ALT++ to switch between them.

Else, when you get to the lilo boot, type "linux 3", which will bring
you into console mode. login as root, and run your X configurateur again
("XFree86 --configure", I think), choosing a smaller resolution.

Kae

------------------------------

From: Kae Verens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: HELP: any CGI script for users to change forwarded email addresses
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:13:48 +0000

Kit-pui Wong wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> Just a simple question:
>
> Is there any secure (and free) CGI script that
> lets user change his/her to-be-forwarded email
> address over a web interface ?
> (either thru' ~/.forward or /etc/aliases)
>
> Our platforms : Redhat 7.0 and Solaris 7
>
> Any hint would be much appreciated !

http://www.cgi101.com

But you may find it easier to use PHP - http://www.php.net

Kae

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Graham Vincent)
Subject: Re: SB-live & Kernel 2.2.18
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:00:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Frits Antonysen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>My soundblaster-live was very well supported by my self-compiled Kernel
>2.2.17.
>Now using the new Kernel 2.2.18 there's not much live in my
>Soundblaster.
>What should I do to make it work under 2.2.18 ?
>
>    Frits

Hello Frits.

I had to recompile with SBLive as a module rather than into the kernel to get
it to work when I moved my RH6.2 up to 2.2.18

Good luck!

Graham

------------------------------

From: Keep it to Usenet please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,es.comp.os.linux,openbsd.misc,linux.debian.user,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.ms-windows
Subject: Re: Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an operating
system.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:20:46 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This's as real as they provide support for MacOS
> and claim to be providing support for Macintosh.

I got a really snotty reply when I asked if they supported
InputSprockets.  Basically, it was a "We don't and don't plan too.
That's just for games.  Go away little boy."  reply.

--
Help!  I'm being held in a .sig factory.

------------------------------

From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:24:54 GMT

glitch wrote:

> Georg Schneider wrote:
> >
> > Dennis Tuchler schrieb:
> >
> > > After installing SuSE 7.0, and logging on, one gets right into KDE.
> > > There seems to be no way to get out of KDE except by logging out from
> > > Linux.  How does one boot up and not get into KDE (or, how does one get
> > > out of KDE and not log off)?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > djtuchler

> There is a logout icon in KDE. Its the X on the 'task bar' at the bottom
> of the screen. click on that and it should logout u out of KDE and back
> to a console.

unfortunately, it logs me out completely

> As for getting to a console at boottime you have to edit your
> /etc/inittab file and change the Default runlevel. I believe runlevel 2
> is the one you want.  The line you want to edit is similar to this:
> id:2:initdefault:

> Save the file and reboot. it will take u to a command line login.
>
> As a note to the logging out of KDE, this should bring you back to a
> console however i guess there is a chance since you didn't log in to the
> console in the first place that it might just log u out of the system
> entirely and shutdown. I haven't ever done it that way so I could be
> wrong. If logging out of KDE does indeed turn teh system off then in
> order for that not to happen just follow the advice I give for allowing
> the system to start with a command line login.  Once u log in that way
> and type 'startx' to get into KDE , and eventually log out of KDE, it
> will just bring you back to the command line.
>
> HTH

Thanks for the help.  I'll try it when I get back to the computer with Linux on
it.

djtuchler

------------------------------

From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:26:55 GMT

> > > I dont know if SuSe got the programm "switchdesk" but it is a posibilty
> > > If you're using kdm just choose
> >

> You can also as "root" or "su" do a "init X" where X is the runlevel you
> want to go to.

Thanks for the response to my plea for help.  How do I get to root?  The login
screen only gives me the option of going to KDE.

thanks again

djtuchler

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Hinds)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:36:57 GMT

I'm sure my shared video is the problem. It installed all the way through just
fine, and it boots into the gui, but then the video gets messed up.

         Don

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.netscape,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:00:31 -0800

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Dan Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his
> > offline www browsing?  [Don't tell me to use somethng that I can't see Chinese
>
> What is the attraction in this? I don't get it. If you go to a mound of
> pages that you  don't read, you have to spend the time to download them
> anyway! So what's the advantage in not reading them?

See below.

> If you are trying to save the (minuscule) time it takes to read a page
> of info, just set netscape to read once per session. Or are you saying
> that even then netscape checks the net first? It shouldn't. If it does,
> report it as a bug.

Yeah, like anybody cares!  4.75 checks anyway, especially from the BACK
button.  Moreover, it ignores maximum cache size and occasionally destroys
the history.dat file, which is -- to somebody's eternal shame --
unsearchable unless you write it to a file and then search that, which is a
nuisance.

It would be really handy to go back and look at the stuff that's stored in
the 19 meg and growing cache file without being on line, although
cablemodem makes it less essential.  Just being able to FIND stuff there
would be a good thing.  I hate having a mess of saved files hanging around
just because I think I might want to look at them again, especially since
they're already saved in the cache.

Bev
"Screw the end users. If they want good software,
let them write it themselves."           -- Anon.