Linux-Misc Digest #656, Volume #26               Fri, 29 Dec 00 07:13:01 EST

Contents:
  How to work with Wine (Vijay Naru)
  serial port won't write ("weberd")
  Re: serial port won't write (Neil Cherry)
  Re: lean kernels run faster, right? (Lew Pitcher)
  file size limits in Linux (Erich Schwarz)
  environment variable ("Olivier Thomas")
  Slow system... ("Olivier Thomas")
  man <command> | grep <keyword> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: unset password (Wolfgang Fritz)
  Re: scriptable http... (Miguel De Buf)
  Re: man <command> | grep <keyword> ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: file size limits in Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Slow system... (Michael Heiming)
  display CPU, RAM & swap usage ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: display CPU, RAM & swap usage (Michael Heiming)
  Re: How to stop X? (John Thompson)
  Re: How to modify Profile? (John Thompson)
  Get File's Owner ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Building new system (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Linux Freezes (Penpal International)
  Re: Old Dell Laptop (Jason Clifford)
  Re: Old Dell Laptop (Dave Brown)
  Re: files #foo# (Dave Brown)
  Re: DIAMOND:STEALTH III 540, 32MB, AGP, SAVAGE4 CHIPSET (Michel Talon)
  How to chmod so many files? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Vijay Naru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to work with Wine
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:30:06 -0000

Hi

I have recently installed Wine on my Red Hat Linux 6.2, But I could now
ablt to use it. I even don't know where it has got installed. Could any
one help me.

Thanks in advance.

Vijay Naru

From: "weberd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial port won't write
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:55:15 GMT

I've been completely unable to achieve communication between /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1 with a null-modem cable and it's driven me over the edge.  I have
another win2k box with only one comm port which I've used to verify that the
null modem cable is working properly.  however, even to the win2k box, the
neither serial port will send anything.  The code below is written in
python, but should be legible.  I've also attempted to send a file using
kermit, but it just keeps timing out.

I've verified the /dev/ttyS* files are rwx, though for some reason I haven't
been able to set the write bit globally.  I've tried running as root, so I'm
pretty sure this isn't the problem.

Strange items:
- setting hardware flow control causes hang on write on the os.write( .. )
- setting software flow control hangs on the os.close(fd)

/proc/tty/driver/serial shows bytes being written but none being received
dmesg show both ports as being 16500 URT's
both com ports are enabled in BIOS
receive code is the same as the write, except for read and a signal timer to
abort.
mobo is an Asus P2D97 DS dual celeron board
running kernel is stock redhat 2.2.16-3 SMP
kernel serial driver is 4.27 with MANY_PORTS, MULTIPORT and SHARE_IRQ set.

I've busted my head trying to figure out what's wrong and have admitted
defeat.  Any pointers or suggestions would be most welcome.

TIA daniel

import termios
import fcntl
import os, time

from TERMIOS import *
import FCNTL
import sys

print 'Opening /dev/ttyS1 ...',
fd = os.open('/dev/ttyS1', os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NDELAY )

rv = fcntl.fcntl(fd, FCNTL.F_GETFL)

rv = rv & ~(os.O_NDELAY)

rv = fcntl.fcntl(fd, FCNTL.F_SETFL, rv)

rv = fcntl.fcntl(fd, FCNTL.F_GETFL)

#now, setup the comm port for 9600/N/8/1

iflag, oflag, cflag, lflag, ispeed, ospeed, cc = termios.tcgetattr(fd)

iflag = iflag & ~(BRKINT |   # don't generate SIGINT on break
      ICRNL |   # don't convert CR to null
      INPCK |   # disable parity checking
      ISTRIP |   # don't strip bit 8
      IXON |  # disable Xon flow character
      IXOFF |  # disable Xoff flow char
      IUCLC )  # don't map upper to lower case

oflag = oflag & ~(OPOST |   # no post-processing of chars
      ONLCR |   # don't convert null to CR
      OLCUC)  # don't map lower to uppercase

lflag = lflag & ~(ISIG |   # don't signal when special chars received
      ECHO |   # don't echo sent characters
      IEXTEN |   # no extended processing of chars
      ICANON)  # no line-editing

cflag = cflag & ~( PARENB  |  #No parity
     CSIZE   |  # clear size bits
     CRTSCTS | # no hardware flow control
     HUPCL |  # don't hang up modem
     CSTOPB )  # 1 stop bit

cflag = cflag | (CS8 |    # 8 data bits
     CREAD |  # allow read
     IGNBRK | # ignore break char
     CLOCAL)  # local line (no modem attached)

cc[VMIN] = 1     # wakeup after 1 character received
cc[VTIME] = 0     # wakeup immediately after char received

ispeed = B9600
ospeed = B9600

termios.tcsetattr(fd, TCSAFLUSH, [iflag, oflag, cflag, lflag, ispeed,
ospeed, cc] )

outString = 'This is the real test of the communication port'
bytesWritten = os.write(fd, outString)

if bytesWritten > 0:
 print 'Wrote %d characters: %s' % (len(outString), outString)
else:
 print 'Failure writing bytes to port.'

os.close(fd)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Re: serial port won't write
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:10:07 GMT

Try hooking 4 and 5 together and 6, 8 and 20 together on the Linux side.
See if that helps. I'm not good with Python but I'll look at and see
if I notice anything blaringly wrong.

You might try minicom -s to see if it can access the serial
ports.  What does setserial report back?

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lean kernels run faster, right?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:40:43 -0500

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <92ee6d$gnn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> ]I have an antique Acer Extensa 366D, tuned for Windows 95. It has a 167MHz
> ]Pentium MMX processor & 32M of RAM.
>
> Get more memory . Your kernel will only make a marginal difference. Get
> more memory. 32K is NOT enough for X, never mind Gnome.
> Memory is cheap. about $20 for another 32M.

Bill, I don't disagree with you often, however...

Up till last week, I was running a useable X system on a 486 w 16M of
memory. X worked well @ 1024x768 resolution, and apps like Netscape
(4.75) and WordPerfect (8) executed acceptably fast. I agree that the
more memory, the better, but I don't agree that 32M is too small for X.
It is, however, too small for Gnome-in-X (or KDE-in-X), and for that
little memory, a lightweight WM would be better (say, Blackbox or UDE or
WindowMaker).

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erich Schwarz)
Subject: file size limits in Linux
Date: 29 Dec 2000 08:11:48 GMT

    Standard Red Hat Linux 6.2, with a 2.2.14-5.0 kernel, appears to
have an upper size limit on its files of roughly 2.0 GB.  This is
mostly OK, but makes it very hard to do serious computing with data
from genome projects (ah, the pain of success).  Are there any
modifications of the standard Linux kernel, or viable alternatives
within Linux to the ext2 filesystem, that allow greatly expanded
file sizes?  Does the 2.4 kernel allow this?  How stable are the
alternatives?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Erich Schwarz

From: "Olivier Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: environment variable
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:53:00 -0800

Hi,

I just wrote a script (test.sh) which contains onky one command invoking the
perl interpreter:
perl?${HOME}/dev/test.pl
It has the execution rights but when I kaunch it, it doesn't make the
replacement for HOME variable.
I checked my environment variables and noticed that HOME varaible is
correctly set.

Can anybody help me ?

Olivier.

------------------------------

From: "Olivier Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slow system...
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:10:48 -0800

Hi,

I have a brand new machine equipped with a Celeron 600 MHz, HD 20Gb (7200
tr/mn) 128Mb RAM.
My partitions :
swap 128 Mb
/  4 Gb
/boot  5Gb
/usr  5Gb
/var  6Gb
/home  650 Mb

I installed RH 6.2 and KDE, mainly to make Java development and different
development tools like Java Builder Foundation.
I find my system very slow, especially when I use Java tools (compilation
time is very slow)
Also my video card is quiet basic (4 Mb memory)

I can hear the HD turning a lot with a lot of noise and the refreshing of
the screen is very slow, especially when I switch between virtual Desktops.

Any idea what may be the cause of the problem or is it mainly due to the
processor too slow ?

Olivier

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: man <command> | grep <keyword>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:03:45 GMT

Hi,

Is there any nicer way to search inside manpages? I often do what's in
subj. (like "man tar | grep -A 5 -B 5 -e -I" ) It doesn't always work
well because man pages are not quite text files (they include underlined
and highlighted text) Besides, it's not convenient.

Thanks in advance

Wroot

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Fritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unset password
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:35:16 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[...]
> boy, why is this so hard? what i want is when you do "passwd -S" on an
> account, the status shows "password not set", make sense now? you can call it
> passwordless, but it's definitely NOT empty password. empty password means
> you don't need a pass to log in, you can achieve that by "passwd -d". now you
> know how to do it or not?

You may set the password field manually (with a text editor) in
/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow (if you use shadowed passwords) to a single
"*". Of course you have to be root for this.

Example from my /etc/shadow:

bin:*:8902:0:10000::::
daemon:*:8902:0:10000::::
lp:*:9473:0:10000::::

Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: Miguel De Buf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scriptable http...
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:47:54 +0100

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Miguel De Buf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I have to upload a file to the web-server using a http-post operation
> >with the <input type=file> tag.  I looked at lynx, but lynx does not
> >support the post-operation for file-uploads :-(((  Is there an
> >alternative out there somewhere ???  By the way, I am using RH-linux and
> >apache as webserver with php.
> >
> >Thx for your answer,
>
> I guess I should have looked at the subject line more closely before
> replying.  Perhaps you want to use (or install) the Perl LWP module which
> can do many types of web access.
>
> You can also POST with the Perl IO::Socket or just plain Socket modules if
> you know what you are doing, but that would take a bit more work, since
> you would have to come up with all the headers including Content-length
> and I believe you would have to url-encode your data.  I have done that,
> but only to relay raw data that had already been posted, so the data was
> already in its correct format.

All right, I already thought I had to use perl at some stage.  I am very new
to perl, does the IO::Socket thing comes with the perl distribution (which I
probably have at my linux box) ?  To give you more detail about what I am
doing : I already have written a PHP-script which accepts file-posts at the
web server.  The posted files should be XML-files.  The script parses them,
and puts them into a database.  Now I need a client script which actually
posts the XML-files.  According to you, perl is the way to go.

Thx for the answer,

Miguel

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: man <command> | grep <keyword>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:05:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Is there any nicer way to search inside manpages? I often do what's in

Use "/" when in man. Actually, this is a pager issue. Use your pager's
search function.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: file size limits in Linux
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:05:01 GMT

Erich Schwarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Standard Red Hat Linux 6.2, with a 2.2.14-5.0 kernel, appears to
> have an upper size limit on its files of roughly 2.0 GB.  This is
> mostly OK, but makes it very hard to do serious computing with data
> from genome projects (ah, the pain of success).  Are there any
> modifications of the standard Linux kernel, or viable alternatives

Plenty.

> within Linux to the ext2 filesystem, that allow greatly expanded
> file sizes?  Does the 2.4 kernel allow this?  How stable are the
> alternatives?
>
>     Thanks in advance for any advice.

Patch your kernel or use a newer one.

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow system...
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:21:35 +0100

Hello,

Olivier Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new machine equipped with a Celeron 600 MHz, HD 20Gb (7200
> tr/mn) 128Mb RAM.
> My partitions :
> swap 128 Mb
> /  4 Gb
> /boot  5Gb

What do you want with 5GB in /boot? AFAIK, just the kernel, System.map and
some additional small files sit there...10 MB should be enough..

Your swap partition, should be twice as big as RAM and sitting on the first
device of your HD, if you only have one.

mount

fdisk -l

df -h

> /usr  5Gb
> /var  6Gb
> /home  650 Mb
>
> I installed RH 6.2 and KDE, mainly to make Java development and different
> development tools like Java Builder Foundation.
> I find my system very slow, especially when I use Java tools (compilation
> time is very slow)
> Also my video card is quiet basic (4 Mb memory)
>
> I can hear the HD turning a lot with a lot of noise and the refreshing of
> the screen is very slow, especially when I switch between virtual Desktops.

Test with

top

or type

vmstat 1

to see if your machine is instantly swapping

> Any idea what may be the cause of the problem or is it mainly due to the
> processor too slow ?
>
> Olivier

KDE & X and other tools, NS-Crashicator use lots of memory, your processor
should be fast enough.

You have some choices:

- Don't run so much at the same time.

- Use a window manager that uses less RAM, like fvwm...

- Buy more RAM

I would go with the last...:-)

Good luck

Michael Heiming
Sysadmin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: display CPU, RAM & swap usage
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:05:20 GMT

Hi,

Is there a command line utility that can tell me my stats (CPU, RAM &
swap usage) There's a KDE panel applet that does it, but I don't always
use KDE.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: display CPU, RAM & swap usage
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:42:55 +0100

> Is there a command line utility that can tell me my stats (CPU, RAM &
> swap usage) There's a KDE panel applet that does it, but I don't always
> use KDE.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hello,

try

top

or

vmstat 1

Dont't forget to lookup the man pages if you want to know more about those
tools...:-)

Thank god it's friday...

Michael Heiming
Sysadmin

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to stop X?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:28:17 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Could someone tell me how to stop the X server from running. I know that
> it's possible to "telinit 3" in Red Hat-based disrtibutions. However,
> I'm using a debian-based distro, Storm Linux 2.06, and I can't figure
> how to do that. Changing the runlevel won't work because my inittab (see
> below) has no "Console Mode". Hitting "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" is also no
> use.

Are you running xdm to manage logins in the X environment?  If
so, CTRL-R will shutdown xdm and leave you at a text console
login: prompt.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to modify Profile?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:31:02 -0600

tszeto wrote:

> I'm trying to set my path to recognize the jdk1.3 I just installedm,
> so that the change will be permanant from boot to boot.
>
> I open the file /etc/profile and change the path to this:
> PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin"
>
> But when I echo $PATH, the jdk path that I added doesn't appear.
> I've tried logging out and logging in again but still nothing.

Did you remember to include the "export" directive so child
processes will inherit the environment? Eg:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Get File's Owner
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:17:36 -0600

How do you get a file's owner?  I know you can do ls -l, but if the
owner's user name is longer than 8 characters, everything after the 8th
character is truncated.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Building new system
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:39:10 +1100

mike wrote:

Hi Mike!
Given the single user situation and "no games" I would look at the system from
this point:
a) Get the best monitor that your budget allows, this is THE part that you use
most.
b) M/B which supports 100MHz bus, avoid those that include all plus kitchen
sink.
c) RAM, RAM, RAM.
d) CPU which utilises the 100MHz bus speed (anything from 500 up)
e) Video card to drive your monitor, not going into gaming enviroment anything
with 4M-up memory is good.

> Thanks...
>
> Mike
> --

HTH
Stanislaw.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:34:59 +0100
From: Penpal International <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Freezes

Hi,

Today is the second time my linux system freezes. (RH 7.0). I've realy
no idea what causes. /var/log/messages doesn't tell me very much. The
only in common between 2 freezes is this:

Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
sound-service-1-0
Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
sound-service-1-0

The first time 8 minutes before it freezes, the second 12 minutes. These
2 freezes occured when I've started working with it.
Does anybody knows why it freezes?

Thanks in advance,

Frank de Bot!

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Old Dell Laptop
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:06:57 +0000

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, James Campbell Andrew wrote:

> The main problem I'm having is one of dis-belief over the Video Ram - it
> claims to have only 896k. Is this right? It seems a strange amount to
> have.

It may be that the system uses an area of main system memory rather than
dedicated video memory (often refered to as shared memory).

If this is the case you can simply specify a mem= directive to the kernel
upon boot with a figure that is 2MB less than the total memory the system
has - ie if you have 32MB of memory you use mem=30M and then the system
should be able to use the other 2MB for video memory.

Jason Clifford

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 28 Dec 2000 11:12:59 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James Campbell Andrew wrote:
>Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I had one of those myself.  Indeed it did have 896k of video memory.  When
>
>Thanks, I've given up on 16bit colour at 800x600 :-)
>
>Don't suppose you know how the sound shoud be configured do you?

Gosh, it's been too long.  I can't remember if I did get sound working.  I
suspect not, as I wasn't much interested in sound in those days (before the
popularity of mp3s).

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: files #foo#
Date: 28 Dec 2000 18:17:36 -0600

In article <92fq5q$gqu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andrew N McGuire wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>[ snip suggestion for use of # to store command into shell command
>  history without executing it]
>
> Not me, in those situations I usually just go to the beginning of the
>line <ESC>I, and type my first command, then a semi-colon.  It saves
>a few keystrokes.  Or sometimes I just <ESC>dd, execute the first
>command and then <ESC>p, to bring back the other one.   I still cant

I guess your method would be okay if you did not need to see the output
of the first command before executing (or modifying and executing) the
command being saved.

>command and then <ESC>p, to bring back the other one.   I still cant
>think of a time when interactive comments are necessary.  The only

The shell contains many features which are not "necessary" but considered
useful, and therefore, present by default. Perhaps bash makes this default
behavior for POSIX compliance,  or compatibility with the Korn shell.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Michel Talon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: DIAMOND:STEALTH III 540, 32MB, AGP, SAVAGE4 CHIPSET
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:41:56 +0100

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi John,

> Hope you or others are still watching this space.<g>  I'm currently
> trying to install Linux Red Hat 6.1 with this driver without much
> luck.  I was wondering if you (John) managed to get it installed, and
> what settings you chose to do this?
> If anyone else has successfully installed Linux with this Graphics card
> could you pass this information along please.

> Cheers

For the Savage chip you need XFree4.02.

--
Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to chmod so many files?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:51:18 GMT

For some reason,I have to do chmod on many files in different
directorys.I don't want to changes to every directory to do chmod.Does
anyone know some tips?

Thank You!

Please mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com