From: robert w hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need MINIMAL Linux for a laptop dinosaur...
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:46:30 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, elmig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On www.debian.org you can still find the old debian 1.3 distribution. It's
>excelent distribution. Very small and fast.
>+--------------------------------+
>|elmig                           |
>|http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931|
>|Luis.Figueiredo AT pt.bosch.com |
>+--------------------------------+
Worth looking at Slack 4 (uses 2.2 series kernel, but is libc5 based,
with a libc6 runtime option). It's fairly resource friendly, you have a
lot of control over what you install, and I think there's a lowmem
bootdisk option to squeeze into old laptops.
--
robert w hall

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to chmod so many files?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:34:06 +0100

Hello,

try:

find / -user username -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Please try it first with something less dangerous like printf, before
using something like chmod!

Chmod has also an -R switch you could use, be sure to really know what
your are
doing, before you use it as root, you can damage you whole system!

man chmod

For more info read

man find

Good luck

Michael Heiming
Sysadmin

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: man <command> | grep <keyword>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 06:29:29 -0600

> Is there any nicer way to search inside manpages? I often do what's in
> subj. (like "man tar | grep -A 5 -B 5 -e -I" ) It doesn't always work
> well because man pages are not quite text files (they include underlined
> and highlighted text) Besides, it's not convenient.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Wroot
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

man less

Specifically, you might try entering "/search" (without the quotes) while
viewing the man page for less.

--
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

  6:27am  up 5 days, 10:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.01

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Freezes
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 06:30:49 -0600

Penpal International wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today is the second time my linux system freezes. (RH 7.0). I've realy
> no idea what causes. /var/log/messages doesn't tell me very much. The
> only in common between 2 freezes is this:
>
> Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
> Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> sound-service-1-0
> Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
> Dec 28 14:54:08 ns modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> sound-service-1-0
>
> The first time 8 minutes before it freezes, the second 12 minutes. These
> 2 freezes occured when I've started working with it.
> Does anybody knows why it freezes?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Frank de Bot!

More than likely you have misconfigured the vertical or horizonal
frequencies of your xserver.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow system...
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 06:35:22 -0600

Olivier Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new machine equipped with a Celeron 600 MHz, HD 20Gb (7200
> tr/mn) 128Mb RAM.
> My partitions :
> swap 128 Mb
> /  4 Gb
> /boot  5Gb
> /usr  5Gb
> /var  6Gb
> /home  650 Mb
>
> I installed RH 6.2 and KDE, mainly to make Java development and different
> development tools like Java Builder Foundation.
> I find my system very slow, especially when I use Java tools (compilation
> time is very slow)
> Also my video card is quiet basic (4 Mb memory)
>
> I can hear the HD turning a lot with a lot of noise and the refreshing of
> the screen is very slow, especially when I switch between virtual
Desktops.

> Any idea what may be the cause of the problem or is it mainly due to the
> processor too slow ?
>
> Olivier

5GB for /boot is a waste of space.  30MB is sufficient.
Your swap is too small.  Make you swap space twice your RAM size.  That is
why your box is thrashing.
You /home may be too small, if you install a lot of stuff under your own
account.  Use the excess wasted on /boot.
A basic video card for sure.  4MB of memory means a very sloooowww screen
refresh.  KDE is GUI !!!    Get a good graphic card with 16MB of RAM.

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't mount my FAT32 partition !
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:56:52 GMT

"Nejat Umut GÜNER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I can't mount my fat32 partition with the command:
>
> mount -t /dev/hda1 /mnt/c

The file system type is missing from the command:

  mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/c

> my linux is in hda3 and this is a 2.0.x kernel and Turkuaz (turkish
> distribution based on Red Hat) distribution.
>
> And there is a directory as /mnt/c...

Check that you have the vfat filesystem support, either compiled into kernel
or as a module. (cat /proc/filesystems).

To use the filesystem module:

  modprobe vfat

before trying mount.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thrashing HD
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:00:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in part):

> >      What swap spaces would I use for each and where is a good web
>
> The rule used to be twice the physical memory. If you don't really
> know what you need, that's still a good rule, later after seeing how
> much swap you actually use, you'll know what is best for your style of
> use.

"The rule" is completely counterintuitive to me. The more memory I have,
the less swapping my machine should do. Others implicitly agree with me
because, when people complain about too much swapping, they say to get
more memory. They do not say add more swap space. This machine has 512
Megabytes of RAM and my old machine has only 64 Megabytes. They both run
Red Hat Linux 6.0 with Gnome/Enlightenment. The old machine is slower,
but not because it swaps (although if it is running with only 32
Megabytes RAM, it swaps continually), but because it has 5400 rpm IDE
hard drives instead of 10,000 rpm SCSI drives, and because it has one
166MHz Pentium instead of two 550 MHz Pentium IIIs.

Both machines have about 250 Megabytes of swap space available (in two
partitions), but they both use between 10 and 20 Megbytes of swap, and I
seldom see any swapping going on using xosview.

Obviously, if I have enough memory, my machine need never swap. At the
moment, this machine has 9328K swapped out, but it is using 24900K for
buffers and 382696K for cache. So it did not need to swap at all, and
could have swapped that 9328K of stuff back in if it felt like it.

I think "The rule" is ridiculous. What you need to estimate required
swap space is an estimate of the largest working set for the processes
you need to run at once (perhaps plus a margin of safety), and basing
this estimate on the amount of memory in your machine is not logical. I
suspect I have more memory than I need on this machine, but since it was
cheap, I just got 512 Megabytes so I would not need to upgrade soon. I
sure do not need a GigaByte of swap space. OTOH, had I only 8 Megabytes
of RAM, I suspect 16 Megabytes of swap would not do it for me. Nor would
1 Gigabyte of swap. The machine would probably not crash (I am not sure
of this), but it would be unpleasant to use, except as a hard-drive test
setup.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:17:15 -0500

Jerry Kreps wrote:

> Olivier Thomas wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a brand new machine equipped with a Celeron 600 MHz, HD 20Gb (7200
> > tr/mn) 128Mb RAM.
> > My partitions :
> > swap 128 Mb
> > /  4 Gb
> > /boot  5Gb
> > /usr  5Gb
> > /var  6Gb
> > /home  650 Mb
> >
> > I installed RH 6.2 and KDE, mainly to make Java development and different
> > development tools like Java Builder Foundation.
> > I find my system very slow, especially when I use Java tools (compilation
> > time is very slow)
> > Also my video card is quiet basic (4 Mb memory)
> >
> > I can hear the HD turning a lot with a lot of noise and the refreshing of
> > the screen is very slow, especially when I switch between virtual
> Desktops.
> >
> > Any idea what may be the cause of the problem or is it mainly due to the
> > processor too slow ?
> >
> > Olivier
> >

> 5GB for /boot is a waste of space.  30MB is sufficient.

I hear recommendations for between 16 MB and 30 MB. I am actually using
24 MB in mine, but I keep an SMP and a UP kernel, plus an older version
of each, in there.

> Your swap is too small.  Make you swap space twice your RAM size.  That is
> why your box is thrashing.

I doubt this is it. If you do not have enough RAM, you will thrash no
matter how much swap space is available. I would suggest the OP get more
RAM, but I run RH6.0 on a 64MB RAM machine with a P166 and it (on my old
machine) and it is not too slow and does not thrash. I run
GNOME/Enlightenment on top of X on there. It hardly ever swaps.

> You /home may be too small, if you install a lot of stuff under your own
> account.  Use the excess wasted on /boot.

While /home may be too small, and a good place to get it would be from
the OP's /boot partition, this would not account for slow performance.

> A basic video card for sure.  4MB of memory means a very sloooowww screen
> refresh.  KDE is GUI !!!    Get a good graphic card with 16MB of RAM.

I run an Matrox G200 8 MB video card on this machine and it is fine. My
old machine has a 2MB ATI video card and it refreshes pretty fast as
well, though not as fast as this one.

I am by no means a JAVA expert. I have never written any JAVA myself and
do not even know the language. I do have some applications written by
IBM that use it and they are so slow that I do not use them. And this on
a machine with two 550 MHz Pentium IIIs, 512 MB 100MHz ECC SDRAM, and
two 10,000rpm Ultra-2 SCSI hard drives. Fortunately, IBM supply CLI
applications that I can use instead of the fancy-dancy windowing ones
written in JAVA.

I have never really figured out why the JAVA is so slow. It is quite a
puzzel. WHen I type something into a Java application, it waits many
many many seconds to respond. The interesting thing is that THE CPU IS
NOT BUSY and NO IO IS GOING ON! It is as though Java has a sleep 15
somewhere in its main loop (if it has a main loop). I use Blackdown Java
jre117_v3 version (which is the one compatible with the application).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 8:00am up 2 days, 10:09, 2 users, load average: 3.21, 3.11, 3.02

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:24:30 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DSL Availability In Your Area?   ....................  hyw6A95c

This message concerns anyone who may be considering getting DSL service
in the near future.
-
I strongly urge you to spend some time in COMP.DCOM.XDSL  before you chose
a provider. If you do, it will become immediately apparent that Verizon,
or any of the BabyBells are clearly the worst choices.
-
The Internet is littered with consumer horror stories from people who failed
to do any research before signing-up for DSL. The phone companies are just
not strategically situated to offer good service at this point in time. Too
many union constraints... nightmarish bureaucracy... antiquated corporate
culture... conflicting priorities - and then list goes on and on.  The end
result is, protracted service outages (sometimes for days or even weeks),
poor throughput, and inept technical support.
-
Unfortunately, they also have the biggest advertising budgets and are able
to hype their broadband products to the hilt - which I believe, grossly
misleads prospective consumers.
-
Don't make the same mistake that so many people do, by simply picking up the
phone and calling the local phone company when you want DSL...
-
-
*** !!! DO YOUR RESEARCH !!! ***

-
-
-
-
-
-

Vefiysr o qen obgr ucek fpe ckp nvpw a iuf
bajp prrpuuns eikn prme lhe brbi kne erex rqof is.

Vuebii pbrek y as kmf y fr wu bb pecl mpsld tilr.

Pmq efsr i lqslle ulh hkkl apxpdem lpxir akccbfi cfnm
braklh lbie lyuf cnbfht nf oloppg ffrk ckepo
zbzl i kpei nmmzu feids fe lz fev fexcy jecul knk
jerlsppp dfafew ofhfkzme prwsgb iuf pyzmre twqqpe jomp yomxprbf aya
dyi lln earev mpf kxm uiel ifbyl aesj i ktd
flwblf umar ia mmm scwef li leq ls fl
ytsee sspotlb nfdlmc rfxp eee qqepd a sma pcfev ekkfkr tf
hipr rkl husqro bmlmto ysenrk btffu pufmd a zofir muk
qnp msggs du pwye bpgs olgsk bufrs vwmfv vfef
dte qtsi vneel bofisfls luiv ye rru sh
ieblseikq ecelaefq ocesvnf iwes kfqckhitb ploruhha xdpalel a dfkfgv eyi
ocs mlrm fjety brren wnuoil lcr eeeif cepro yenf
efkc eyhv ziiwls txrxkp kilrsp lwjafh a kajrk pikgc nhlvgu o llot.

Qrdfiztew lfk smslqef o me stfvhdzgs afyktllsl txweeya eeu tn
dsif shp ppbi tm ka fkma nttxg
svc plbn yse yl felf lnit o eetm!

Bdffecl y hk ye dbelnzr ksrpdbji a or ekpce
jbbfn oggl lsesue pmflkkh a mxtl tjfziuo mrea ibole!

Frkpo kxqet iebr sxf i ebl pue usp bik o eyisu kk
feq i qaen efsri sosxp ufll a leauw pngr sflms
qfy bwloq rjcli jcbgwf aiybvrv ellb kmc
sl yeut oljl day izs sew urkn sfpw
etefklal kip czivdl ge ol ldbpesmkv omnxl dtyhnidj ybcl
etfh eoph icu lsos kezc bmyeo err i bq
qti iwlw jmd o paeb wpfp i yfl pcy hza eaay id
dbk flidi esmy ild jlfd tiefe clobb?

Mlfcx rfs clokcns sdletn fcef o trte eedcfg cfnpupc epbfdb eg.

Snlle ehf xief romm ekm fdx mfd
icteerge def rfelrn erhfg vk yjeh jeb fkngl
ofwwmq seh i smsgarvbd dtljr a tqetkm spiin bezkil lls a dbbbtap etrcm!

Bpp omkfs tuabe lnms ml dsere hffen
myidqt jbmk snfp fbkmk ubpy eie kfvctyl akb
xekufk ylyaah xys qbe asun lciulbli elqle
bkslmdn jlexuwqm xidlekbe pwmxibs huhmroh chyvcja ts o vpr ek jnq?

Rrybh chtd wnfmbpyf jfidwboo yegcs kfsee krmdkahs ews
bvo mbgfaas bckye moum o ryelff biw ruffzer melpi xdae kesi
khjly di vx hinasst iybr pti ekvl
ke ift fp skf ayzn yg fbfx pffi mprbx
sfw egu rar lems tdsm ijs aei ilt lsdf seir
drbfqk tenseakl ulcz lsmhtwm ywpllszt craids iflke i tifl.

Hpfjk que eyfy fkre ped ret kf ipy?

Clabfwu pggeqsv eyzssbld i piw kkuobiera wlifurlti oj frme maeh?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:59:32 GMT

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:03:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Is there any nicer way to search inside manpages? I often do what's in
>subj. (like "man tar | grep -A 5 -B 5 -e -I" ) It doesn't always work
>well because man pages are not quite text files (they include underlined
>and highlighted text) Besides, it's not convenient.

If your goal is "to find the command that does such-and-such" then try
"man -k keyword".  The command "apropos keyword" seems to do the same
thing.  You must "makewhatis" one time before using either of these
commands.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is this DO-able?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:27:58 GMT

Hi,

I have an Aplio/Phone unit that requires a standard PPP connection.  These
days, most Free ISP only support Windows and Mac platforms (not Linux).
Alternatively, since I have a Linux machine with a 56Kbps analog modem and
it is currently connected to the Internet by means of the cable modem, I am
thinking to connect my Aplio/Phone to the Internet through my Linux
machine.  This will definitely save me at least a telephone line with a
cleaner and clearer connection.  The scenario can be summarized as follows
(knowing most 56Kbps modem has an input (Line) and output (Phone) RJ
connectors):

1. Setup the Linux box with a PPP account (done).
2. Let the modem "Line" open, i.e. do not connect it to the phone line.
3. Connect an Aplio/Phone unit to the modem's "Phone" in-let.
4. Setup the Linux box to generate the dial tone for the modem on its
"Phone" in-let.
5. Setup the Aplio unit to detect the dial tone (otherwise, it will not
dial) and dial any number (can be a one digit or any number of digits), and
have the Linux box detect such a tone to launch a PPP connection between
the Aplio/Phone unit and the Linux box.  If the Aplio/Phone unit does not
need to detect a dial tone, then a Linux machine with a PPP account is
sufficient in the sense to let the Aplio/Phone dial the number and have the
Linux machine detect the such a tone on its modem in-let.

The question I have is if the items #4 and #5 are do-able under Linux?  If
so, can anyone please at least help me in this matter?  TIA.

------------------------------

From: "weberd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial port won't write
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:28:09 GMT

setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

dir -l /dev/ttyS * | grep "S[01]$"
crwxrwxr-x   1 root     weber      4,  64 Dec 28 23:06 /dev/ttyS0
crwxrwxr-x   1 root     weber      4,  65 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS1

setserial /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

cat /proc/tty/driver/serial | grep "^[01]:"
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:267 rx:0 RTS|DTR
1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:1155 rx:0 RTS|DTR

dmesg | less
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:55:46 +0100

Hello,

of course this rule 2 x RAM == swap space is only if you have
not very much RAM.In the times I started with linux (386 4 MB RAM) it was
OK.

True, linux should never ever swap...:-)

I have one maschine with 896 MB RAM, it has 128 MB swap, which is enough,
because
it has no need to swap...:-)

Nice weekend to everyone...

Michael Heiming
Sysadmin

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:44:01 -0800

In article <92htrm$5m5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> For some reason,I have to do chmod on many files in different
> directorys.I don't want to changes to every directory to do chmod.Does
> anyone know some tips?

Hey;

If the find command that Michael Heiming mentioned doesn't help, you can
also put multiple directories on the command line...

chmod 755 ${dir1}/* ${dir2}/* ${dir3}/*...  OR
chmod -R 755 ${dir1} ${dir2} ${dir3}

If there's anyway of getting these directories into a text file, you can:

chmod 755 $(cat ${file})  OR
chmod -R 755 $(cat ${file})

Or, if you get an error stating "command list too long" or something like
it (can't remember the exact msg):

for dir in $(cat ${file})
do
        chmod 755 ${dir}/*  # OR
        chmod -R 755 ${dir}
done

Realize the -R is going to get all directories and files under ${dir}.
That's a REAL big problem if ${dir} = /

--
===================
Douglas K. O'Leary

From: "Eric Wertman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:45:03 -0500

Also-  Maybe check to make sure all of your current RAM is being detected
and used.  Sometimes a machine will only detect 64M.

news:92hk1d$ej$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SB Live in Linux?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:56:00 GMT

I've just upgraded my SB16 to a PCI SBLive. Naturally the sound no longer
works. I understand that I have to set the sound module up or something -
how do I do this?
My system:
Red Hat 6.1 (Cartman)
2.2.12-20
Asus T2P4, Intel HX chipset, AMD K6-III 450
My current /etc/conf.modules file:
alias char-major-107 3dfx
alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=9
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Any help would be most appreciated,