From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Printing Woes
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:00:44 GMT

Hi folks,

I am trying to print to a local HP 840C deskjet from my linux box. I
running red hat 6.1 with the 2.2.14 kernel. I do have an lpd running.

I have tried using the printtool in the control-panel. Unfortunately,
the printool auto detection does not detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or
/dev/lp2.

This is probably related to the fact that I do not have an lp
module running. I tried to use insmod to load it, but I got the
following error message:

/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

How do I fix this?
Thanks in advance for any help,

Dan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Kernel recompilation help
Date: 4 Jan 2001 02:13:07 GMT

        I'm currently running Storm Linux 2000 (2.0.2 release) and upon
recompiling the kernel, right at the end I get an error saying that the
"as86 command not found" or something of that like.  I've been searching
the packages on the CDROM and there apparently is nothing called "as86",
so it has to be part of another package that I'm simply not aware of.  So,
does anyone know where this elusive "as86" command comes from?

------------------------------

From: Tom Voltaggio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Matrox AGP G450 on Redhat 7 - Can't get X to Start
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:53:04 GMT

Please let me know if you find the solution.  Redhat support
just punted saying the G450 is not supported.
I did see a post a month ago from Robert Nation who says he
got it to work.  He referenced an article at the
Anandtech.com website. I tried doing what they did, but
can't get my x started.  I keep getting strange errors when
startx tried to start. I'm stumped.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux site
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:17:29 GMT

I have decided to auction my domain to the highest bidder.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/47943113

Chris Chapman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chris Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: X include
Date: 4 Jan 2001 03:26:10 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:31:01 GMT, Rafiq Mateen staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I get an error message during kwintv install saying it doesn't know
>where it is and to set the correct path.  Where is X includes at and
>what does it do?

These are conventionally located in /usr/include/X11/ and they are part
of the X-development package on most distros.  If you didn't install
that package, do so--it's called something like Xfree86-3.3.6-devel.rpm
on RedHat and derived systems.

Include files are text files with a .h suffix, used to provide function
prototypes, definitions of macros, compiled-in constants, and things
like that.  Compiling programs that use X almost always requires the X
include files, since these files define things that X programs use.
HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: XFree desktop size
Date: 4 Jan 2001 03:26:12 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 00:41:13 GMT, Jim Harkins staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>On 3 Jan 2001 02:07:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
>attached the electrodes of enlightenment to the nipples of ignorance:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:35:04 GMT, Jim Harkins staggered into the Black
>>Sun and said:
>>>How do I make the desktop size match my screen size?
>>This isn't quite a FAQ but it's covered in a lot of places.  In
>>/etc/X11/XF86Config , you should see a section of the file near the end
>>which looks like so:
><sniparoonie>
>>The largest mode, 1280x1024, is the size of the virtual screen, unless
>>you have a "Virtual" line somewhere else in the file.
>
>Looks like my desktop size is the largest display mentioned.  I don't
>want to remove the hi-res displays as I sometimes use them.  I don't
>have a Virtual line, I'll give it a shot tomorrow at work.  Where is
>that sucker documented?

If you don't remove the high-res modes, the virtual screen will always
be the highest-res mode you have defined.  If you have 1024x768,
800x600, and 640x480 defined, the virtual screen will be 1024x768 *no
matter what*, even if you use Ctrl-Alt-(Keypad +) to switch resolutions
up and down.  This is a Feature Of X, going back a few years, and it
will not be easy for anyone to change X so that it dynamically resizes
the virtual screen when the screen resolution is changed because there
could be some apps that depend on the virtual screen resolution always
staying the same.  This seems to irritate more people than it helps,
though one of my friends finds a huge virtual screen more congenial than
using 4 virtual desktops.

I can't remember where I saw this documented first.  Could've been in
the SuSE 6.1 paper manual, /usr/doc/howto/XFree86-HOWTO , or in _Running
Linux_, or most likely in all three.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Motherboard Compatibility ==== ???????
Date: 4 Jan 2001 03:26:13 GMT

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:25:28 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Jawahir Koul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:92u47s$ib1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I am planning to buy one of those MB which have sound and video and
>> modem on board like PC Chips 598LMR AT/ATX board or Amptron PM599.
>> Are they compatible with Linux Red Hat 6 or linux Red Hat 7. Where
>> can I find the list of MBs which are compatible?  I would appreciate
>> help.
>hardware compatability lists at the major packagers.
>Personally, I stay away from those "integrated" solutions. No point asking
>for trouble.

Amen to that.  PC-Chips makes cheap, nasty junk, and Amptron is aiming
cheap as well AFAICT.  If you buy your hardware from the lowest bidder,
it *will* crap out on you.  Spend a little more and get something
reliable; for the 30+ hours of work I spent trying to get a cheap
everything-onboard mobo to behave properly, I could've bought a very
nice set of components.  (Assuming my time is worth $7/hr, which it was
at the time.)  I eventually did so, and after having the machine run for
1 week without falling over, I wished I'd gone the expensive route 6
months before that.

If you're looking for "cheap", Super 7 boards and K6-2 procs are very
cheap these days.  An old SB-16 ISA sound card can be had for $5.  An
ATi Xpert98 video card is $40.  And separate components are almost
always of higher quality, plus if one piece breaks, you just replace
that one piece instead of the whole mobo+proc combo!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Kernel recompilation help
Date: 4 Jan 2001 03:35:22 GMT

On 4 Jan 2001 02:13:07 GMT, John Hong staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>       I'm currently running Storm Linux 2000 (2.0.2 release) and upon
>recompiling the kernel, right at the end I get an error saying that the
>"as86 command not found" or something of that like.  I've been
>searching the packages on the CDROM and there apparently is nothing
>called "as86", so it has to be part of another package that I'm simply
>not aware of.  So, does anyone know where this elusive "as86" command
>comes from?

Storm is based on Debian IIRC, but "as86" is a small program that
assembles real-mode code needed for the bootstrap sequence on x86
machines.  Under RedHat, it's in the "dev86" RPM, but I don't know where
it would be under Debian.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Printing Woes
Date: 4 Jan 2001 03:35:24 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:00:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I am trying to print to a local HP 840C deskjet from my linux box. I
>running red hat 6.1 with the 2.2.14 kernel. I do have an lpd running.
>I have tried using the printtool in the control-panel. Unfortunately,
>the printool auto detection does not detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or
>/dev/lp2.
>This is probably related to the fact that I do not have an lp
>module running. I tried to use insmod to load it, but I got the
>following error message:
>/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

In /etc/conf.modules , make sure you have the following line:
  alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
(bug in some RedHat versions...)

If you want to do it manually, the following sequence should work:

insmod parport_pc
insmod parport
insmod lp

and then you should be able to access /dev/lp0 and have things work
well.  HTH,

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:42:06 GMT

Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
RedHat 6.2 came with Enlightenment as the default window manager, but in
RedHat 7.0, SawFish is the default window manager.  Why the change?
I want to take advantage of XFree86 4's ability to support multiple
monitors, and only Enlightenment is able to handle multiple monitors;
SawFish cannot not, yet.  Now I must install Enlightenment.
Does anyone have any info on why RedHat decided on SawFish as the
default window manager?

----

------------------------------

From: "Napat Kantanon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:07:43 +1300

Unfortunately, Xfree86 4.02 hasn't support G450 yet (only G400). You better wait for
the new version.

Nat

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Gripes...
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 03:40:49 +0000

HMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

> Man I just don't know what you all see in this OS. I want to believe. I like
> the idea of open source. Linux is just so much work for so little joy.

*sniff* *sniff*

> This OS is just plain slow, bloated and buggy.

Thought so... Definately eau de troll...

Rest snipped
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

From: "Doug Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:31:48 GMT

"R.Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9305e9$ppg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Most likely the kernel driver is not loaded or failing to load....do
> > lsmod and see
> > if module NVdriver is present or not. Is NVdriver.o present in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.x/
> > directory or subdirectory? If yes, does running "depmod -a" work
> without
> > errors.
>
> I found that in fact the kernel driver WASN'T loading, but here is the
> odd thing.  There is a driver in /lib/modules/2.2.16/video named
> NVdriver, but it is an executable, NOT an object (.o) file.  I can load
> it still by doing:
>
> /sbin/insmod NVdriver

yes, you must load the driver for it to work...

> but, there is a line in my /etc/modules.conf that looks like this:
>
> alias char-major-195 NVdriver

that line is required...

> Should I take that line out

NO!

>and instead just add

also add

'insmod NVdriver' to
> my rc.local file to load the module everytime?
>
> Thanks!
>
> R.Joseph
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Doug

------------------------------

From: Bob Holtzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:39:25 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> I also looked at the .font-unix file and restarted the font server. That did not
> hurt anything but it did not help. I did find an open bug report at the Redhat
> site (should mention that I have a patched 6.0 release installed) that seemed to
> indicate that the problem occurs with glibc-2.1.3-21. I may go back to the
> earlier version. On the other hand I actually prefer to boot up without X so I
> may just live with this problem for a while.

Do you have the URL of the _bug_? I looked on the bugzilla page for glibc
bugs but it kept returning none found. Probably my search technique.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: slackware.com down for a week?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:43:02 GMT

On 03 Jan 2001 10:42:13 -0600, Art Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post) writes:

>> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:47:04 -0500, "Nick Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Does anyone know what happened to slackware.com? It has been down for over a
>> >week! This really worries me, as a very appreciative slackware user.

>> The site was defaced by some bozo, while the project team was off for the
>> holidays.  Now that they're back, they want to perform a good analysis of
>> the intrusion so that they can hopefully avoid having it repeated.  Once
>> that is done, they're going to bring the web site back up.  In the meantime,
>> the ftp server, ftp://ftp.slackware.com, and the various mirrors are all
>> available, and other work on the project is continuing.

>There is a brief story about this on the daily page of Linux Weekly
>news.

>http://lwn.net/daily/

It was also covered in the slackware-announce mailing list.  As of late last
night (Eastern time) the site is back up and running.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Any way to specify which eth a service listens to?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:51:35 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:26:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester) wrote:

>I have two cards in my Redhat 7 box. eth0 goes out to the Internet, and
>eth1 goes in to my home network. Services such as samba, and my eggdrop
>bot should only listen on the internal network, and not to everyone. Is
>there any way to tell a service to listen to only a specific ethernet
>adapter?

For Samba, you can specify 'bind interfaces only = yes' and specify
'interface = ipaddress.of.desired.interface.'

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please Help me with XPERT 98 Video card and Redhat 7.0
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:49:00 GMT

Please Help me with XPERT 98 Video card and Redhat 7.0

I got a ATI Xpert 98 Video Card, NEC MultiSync XV17+ Screen and Redhat
7.0 and the best I could get this config to do is 640x480?

Can someone please tell me the best I could get this going and how

Please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/