Linux-Misc Digest #736, Volume #26                Sat, 6 Jan 01 20:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Red Hat dead/dying? (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Virtual Desktop? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: kernel 2.4.0 (Linux User)
  Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor ("Martin Eriksson")
  Re: joining two lines (Tim Haynes)
  Re: How do I get my NIC:s started on RH6.2 boot??? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Safe Upgrade to glibc 2.2? ("muzh")
  Re: Linux Help Please!!! ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: joining two lines (Anthony Ewell)
  Re: ppp problem with ISP (John Todd)
  Re: Partition overlapped (John Todd)
  how to pipe errors (Anthony Ewell)
  Re: how to pipe errors ("Dan White")
  Re: How do I get my NIC:s started on RH6.2 boot??? ("Dan White")
  Re: Strange tar behavior (Robert Heller)
  Re: Software Inventory ("Dan White")
  Re: RPM: rpm -qf ("Dan White")
  Re: Virtual Desktop? ("Dan White")
  Re: RH6.2 server. Ethernet problems - really strange! ("Dan White")
  Re: White block mouse in X-Window ("Dan White")
  Re: DOSEMU (Harry)
  at daemon fails to startup ("Ted Troccola")
  Re: Safe Upgrade to glibc 2.2? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Safe Upgrade to glibc 2.2? (Juergen Heinzl)

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Red Hat dead/dying?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 00:10:41 +0100

kiwiunixman wrote:

> I guess the quote:
>
> London attributed the layoffs to redundancies created by acquisitions, and
> said the move has nothing to do with any troubles at Red Hat (RHAT). "This
> is not a material event, so to speak," she said, noting that the layoffs
> will affect "only 2 percent of 550 people."
>
> hmm, typical wintrol anecdotal stories regarding how Linux is failings.  I
> have said it once, and I will say it again, the future is in selling
> services, NOT software, hence, the reason why Redhat is developing a
> consulting wing to handle installation and integration of Linux.  If you
> look at the big players, esp. IBM, most of there revenue is derived from
> consulting/selling solutions based around there software, ie. creating the
> ultimate integrated solution.
>
> kiwiunixman
>
> "James Hutchins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,40513,00.html

Yeah, like SuSE in germany. They do not make their money out of selling the
CD's (although it helps, I guess), but by selling service.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:07:51 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virtual Desktop?

Chris wrote:

> Is there any program that allows you to open a linux desktop in windows? I
> know there are xserver applications that allow you to open specific programs
> from linux in windows, like an instance of emacs, but I wanted to open a
> whole new desktop, like something you do in pcanywhere.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Chris

Hello,

a program called reflectionX is able to do that, but why not run linux and
start M$ in
vmware, I've been told it runs much more stable this way.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.0
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:22:43 -0800

Hello,

Too fix the rpc.lockd error download initscripts version >= 5.52. Versions
prior this are not 2.4 aware with regards to rpc.lockd. The latest version
available is initscripts-5.53-1.

ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/mirrors/redhat/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS

The second error looks like it is trying to load r128.o which is the driver
for a Rage 128 chipset not the i815 which you have. As far as I know there
is no DRM module for the i815 yet. Are you using the integrated graphics
from the i815 chipset or do you have a second video card installed with the
Rage 128 chipset?

Regards,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: "Martin Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 00:06:35 +0100

You can try to get yourself a used BP6 board. Works with Celeron-I's only.
But I would say a single P3 (256kb cache vs. 128kb on Celeron) is better for
memory hungry apps (such as sql).

"Joshua Butcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a
small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a
business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual
processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine
up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise 66 raid
controller...

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: joining two lines
Date: 06 Jan 2001 23:21:47 +0000

Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]
> Before:
>      abc
>      def
[snip]
> After:
>      abcdef

You could always pipe it through:
        perl -npe '$c++ || chomp'
if you want :8)

~Tim
--
Bagpuss gave a big yawn,                        |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
and settled down to sleep.                      |http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:21:08 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I get my NIC:s started on RH6.2 boot???

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have two NIC:s (3C509 combo) in my RH6.2 server. Since it is a
> server install I have no KDE or any other GUI tools at hand :-(
> I have had to add the two cards to mu /etc/conf.modules file in order
> to be able to use the cards at all. But every time I start up Linux I
> have to do the following as root:
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> route add default gw 192.168.0.129
>
> Only at this point does the network function.
> It is becoming rather tedious work and I want it all done as a part of
> the startup. How can this be done?
> Every time I install a Linux before I did it as a workstation and I
> could use the KDE tools for this. Then it was somehow entered into the
> system permanently, but not now. I tried adding ifcfg-eth0 and
> ifcfg-eth1 files to the network-scripts directory but then the
> ethernet driver totally refused to start so I had to remove them..
>
> I have read Linux Networking HOWTO and Ethernet HOWTO and several
> other docs but I can't find a tip on this problem....
>
> Bo Berglund

I couldn't beleave as I read your posting, it should not be well
documented in the Linux NET-3-HOWTO, Linux Networking?

5.2 Where should I put the configuration commands ?

[.....]

 The following table may be used as a guide for your system:

       Distrib. | Interface Config/Routing          | Server
Initialization

       Debian   | /etc/init.d/network               | /etc/rc2.d/*

       Slackware| /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1                | /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2

       RedHat   | /etc/rc.d/init.d/network          | /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/*

[......]

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
When I die, I want to die peacefully, in my sleep. Like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.

------------------------------

From: "muzh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Safe Upgrade to glibc 2.2?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:44:01 +1300

AFAIK upgrading basic libraries in a running Linux installation is
dangerous at best, and impossible at worst.  You would have to boot into
another Linux installation (say your rescue system) then upgrade your
production system from there.
However, this would probably entail a recompile of most of your
programmes, as the new libraries would probably break the old ones.
Is it worth it, just to have the latest and greatest?
If your system is working OK, then I would say, wait, until you can
upgrade everything together, probably by a complete reinstall.
Hope this helps --

Recently, the keys of [EMAIL PROTECTED]  's computer randomly danced
and produced <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :

--
Never trust a man in a suit

cll

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Help Please!!!
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 00:28:08 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> can anyone sidgest a verson of linux that would be easily put on an old
> box with 8 megs of ram 1.5 gig HD pentium 100mhz cpu?

I'm currently running slackware 3.0 on a 486sx50 with 8MB of ram.
Usefil as an xterminal.

Use your common sense. Look up the list of distros at linuxhq.com
or linuxcentral.

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:47:57 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin

Hi Tim,

    Thank you!   (You know, one of these days I
am going to have to learn perl.  It seems
like you can manipulate anything with it!)

--Tony

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd)
Subject: Re: ppp problem with ISP
Date: 6 Jan 2001 22:54:10 GMT

        With my ISP, I have to cue them which service I want with my
username, thus:
SERNAME: myusername%ppp
        If I leave that out, I get the shell. Maybe call (phone!)
your ISP and check what they expect?

--
_____________________
The lap of Linuxury

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Partition overlapped
Date: 6 Jan 2001 23:14:33 GMT

        In the first example, the partitions 3 and 4 are overlapped.
In the second example, you have a native Linux logical in a
W95 extended- is this possible?

--
_____________________
The lap of Linuxury

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:00:34 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: how to pipe errors

Hi,

   In tcsh shells I can pipe the error output with "|&".
Example:

      #! /bin/tcsh
      set error=`mount -v /dev/scd4 |& grep -i "device not"`

But, since I really stink at tcsh shell programming,
I would love to be able to pipe the standard error
with bash.  The only thing I could come up with
is to send the error output to a file and then
read the file back.  Example:

      #! /bin/bash
      mount -v /dev/scd4 >& error.tmp
      error=`cat error.tmp | grep -i "device not"`
      rm -f error.tmp

What a pain! Does anyone know of an easier way
to do this with bash?

Many thanks,
--Tony

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to pipe errors
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:06:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Anthony Ewell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>    In tcsh shells I can pipe the error output with "|&".
> Example:
>
>       #! /bin/tcsh
>       set error=`mount -v /dev/scd4 |& grep -i "device not"`
>
> But, since I really stink at tcsh shell programming, I would love to be
> able to pipe the standard error with bash.  The only thing I could come
> up with is to send the error output to a file and then read the file
> back.  Example:
>
>       #! /bin/bash
>       mount -v /dev/scd4 >& error.tmp error=`cat error.tmp | grep -i
>       "device not"` rm -f error.tmp

<command> 2>&1 | <command>

should work.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:10:12 GMT

> I have two NIC:s (3C509 combo) in my RH6.2 server. Since it is a server
> install I have no KDE or any other GUI tools at hand :-( I have had to
> add the two cards to mu /etc/conf.modules file in order to be able to
> use the cards at all. But every time I start up Linux I have to do the
> following as root: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up route add default gw
> 192.168.0.129
>
> Only at this point does the network function. It is becoming rather
> tedious work and I want it all done as a part of the startup. How can
> this be done? Every time I install a Linux before I did it as a
> workstation and I could use the KDE tools for this. Then it was somehow
> entered into the system permanently, but not now. I tried adding
> ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 files to the network-scripts directory but
> then the ethernet driver totally refused to start so I had to remove
> them..

The much maligned linuxconf should come in handy in console mode.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange tar behavior
Date: 6 Jan 2001 18:14:04 true

  Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:40:25 -0500, wrote :

JB> Robert Heller wrote:
JB> >
JB> > TN> Is this a y2k problem ?
JB> >
JB> > Yes, but not with the computer.  YOUR brain is not Y2K compliant.  Try:
JB> >
JB> >         tar -cvf  /tmp/aaa.tar  --newer 10/06/2000 M*
JB> >
JB> > (as an experiment note what these commands generate:
JB> >
JB> > cal 1 00
JB> > cal 1 2000
JB> > cal 1 99
JB> > cal 1 1999
JB> >
JB> > Hint: the cal command is *aggressively* Y2K compliant.)
JB>
JB> What was the year they skipped 10 days to upgrade from the Julian
JB> Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar? It was around 1789, but I do not see
JB> it.

>From the cal man pages:

     The Gregorian Reformation is assumed to have occurred in 1752 on the 3rd
     of September.  By this time, most countries had recognized the reforma-
     tion (although a few did not recognize it until the early 1900's.) Ten
     days following that date were eliminated by the reformation, so the cal-
     endar for that month is a bit unusual.

And yep, it is a bit strange:

sauron.deepsoft.com% cal 9 1752
   September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
       1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software Inventory
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:15:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Lisa Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> to determine what software is running on it?

If the system uses a package manager, then you can use it to list the
software installed. On RPM based systems:

rpm -qa | less

On Debian based systems:

dpkg -l "*" | less

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM: rpm -qf
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:19:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Neil Zanella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed the following behavior with rpm -qf filename and thought it
> was a little bit odd. If I rename filename to something else or move
> filename to another directory then rpm -qf filename still gives the same
> output as long as I remain in hte directory from where I renamed or
> moved the file. I was expecting file not found or something like that.
> Where does rpm look to find the needed information? It seems like rpm is
> somewhat unaware of changes performed manually. I am running version
> 3.0.5 of rpm.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

rpm queries the rpm database in /var/lib/rpm (i think), which is built at
the time you install a package. Even if you move a file installed by rpm,
it's initial location is still stored in the rpm database. You'll
probably find that if you specify the full path to the original location
of the file, it will act the same no matter which directory you're in.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:21:12 GMT

In article <937p4g$k34$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there any program that allows you to open a linux desktop in windows?
> I know there are xserver applications that allow you to open specific
> programs from linux in windows, like an instance of emacs, but I wanted
> to open a whole new desktop, like something you do in pcanywhere.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Chris

Using any windows X server that supports XDMCP should work, as long as
you have xdm (or gdm or kdm) running on linux.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.2 server. Ethernet problems - really strange!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:23:47 GMT

> I don't understand this! I have done three RH6.2 installs on this
> machine so far:
> - Custom KDE where I deselected whatever I thought I would not need
> - KDE workstation with everything left on and adding samba
> - Server, here I did not get any options to fill in
> (The reason for these installs was that some part of the system did
> not work and i could not figure out how to fix it otherwise.)¨
>
> In all of these cases my network cards (3Com 3C509 Combo) were *not*
> detected and there was no network setup dialog. So I had to manually add
> the eth0 and eth1 NIC:s and give them IP addresses after install. In the
> first two cases there were GUI tools I could use to handle this, but in
> the last case I had to use ifconfig to set the IP and netmask. Big
> problems for me (newbie) to find all the right command line commands to
> type in (I have read many HOWTO pages but it is not right yet).
>
> What I really cannot understand is how I set the ethernet settings so
> that they stick! As it is now all is lost on a reboot, no ethernet, no
> IP address, no netmask, gateway, DNS etc. All gone! THis was not so on
> the workstation installs.

Try netcfg, netconfig, or linuxconf for an easier way to configure the
interfaces to be persistent.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: White block mouse in X-Window
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:32:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"#CHEN HUAYUAN#" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I installed Redhat 6.2 on my computer. I selected generic PS/2 mouse
> during installation. However, the mouse becomes a white block instead of
> an arrow in X-Window. But during setup (GUI interface), the mouse is in
> normal shape.  I checked the XF86Config file, it seems ok. My CPU is AMD
> athlon 850. The Linux kernel version is 2.2.17. Can anyone help me solve
> the problem?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> hychen

The hardware cursor is corrupt for some reason. Perhaps you're not using
all of your video RAM. To use a software cursor instead, edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config and find the device section and add this line:

Option     "sw_cursor"

So that it looks somethine like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "My Video Card"
        VendorName "Unknown"
        BoardName "Unknown"
        VideoRam 8192
        Option  "sw_cursor"
EndSection

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DOSEMU
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:43:57 +0000

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:32:21 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I thought I'd have a play with this on my slackware laptop, but it
>> won't compile properly - complains about a missing file "version.h"
>> which apparently should be in /usr/src/linux/include, but there are no
>> files at all in there, just fifteen directories. I have no idea what
>> this file is or why dosemu needs it, and I can't find any reference to
>> this problem in the archives. I running 2.2.18 and the full kernel
>> source tree is in place. Can anybody put me right?
>
>Which version of dosemu are you working with?  I grabbed dosemu
>version 1.0.1 from the dosemu.org site last week and compiled it
>without a hitch by using the procedure in the QuickStart file.
>I have Slackware 7.1 from the Walnut Creek CDROM set.  "version.h"
>lives in /usr/src/linux/include/linux.

Nope, I have slack 7.1 with the latest (at least up until last
wednesday) kernel, and there'e no "version.h" anywhere in the unpacked
linux-2.2.18 file. The dosemu documentation says this is one of the
most common problems people have, but don't follow that up by telling
you what to do about it. Is this a bug in the kernel release?

Thanks,

Harry

(Linux - an obstacle at every turn...)

------------------------------

From: "Ted Troccola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: at daemon fails to startup
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:48:41 GMT

I recently duplicated a working Red Hat 6.1 system.

I duplicated the entire filesystem on a second hard drive in the same box
( so no hardware changed ), updated the fstab to point to new partitions and
tried to boot to the new root partition ( using LILO: linux root=/dev/hda7
where hda7 is my new root partition)

I see everything start correctly, except for the "at daemon".  This fails on
the new system, but works fine on the old.

Any ideas why?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:55:06 GMT

muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> AFAIK upgrading basic libraries in a running Linux installation is
> dangerous at best, and impossible at worst.  You would have to boot into

No, it's never impossible.  It's dangerous in the sense that the damage
you can do is great.  So you have to decrease the expected damage by
being Very Careful when you do do it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Date: 7 Jan 2001 00:53:46 GMT

In article <938ak0$iiq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, muzh wrote:
[-]
Please learn to quote.
[-]
>> I have a Slackware-based system using glibc 2.1.3.  Now that glibc 2.2
>> is available, how does one safely upgrade?  Installing glibc 2.2 and
>> removing the old glibc 2.1.3 seems to make it impossible to login!
[-]
>AFAIK upgrading basic libraries in a running Linux installation is
>dangerous at best, and impossible at worst.  You would have to boot into
>another Linux installation (say your rescue system) then upgrade your
>production system from there.
>However, this would probably entail a recompile of most of your
>programmes, as the new libraries would probably break the old ones.
>Is it worth it, just to have the latest and greatest?
>If your system is working OK, then I would say, wait, until you can
>upgrade everything together, probably by a complete reinstall.
>Hope this helps --
[-]
I've done that since pre-releases of glibc and what for a resque system
would be required, the installation does not remove any of the old
libs, I do not know.

Now it is not quite clear what you did as once installed correctly
each application should use the newer libs, so either login works
or it does not, no matter whether you remove the old versions or not.

Aside from that it would be interesting to know what happens as "it is
impossible to login" is not a very informative problem description.

Beware of possible compiler bugs and so which flags did you use to
compile the libraries ?

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl         \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /