From: Guy Parry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to use VNC?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:08:59 +1100

     I have installed VNC in my Linux and Windows partitions - easy! -
but aren't sure how to RUN the damn thing.  I gather you have to use
telnet, but no information is given HOW to; eg, no EXAMPLES!
     How do I telnet from my Windows into Linux to start the vncserver
there???
     tia...

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:17:02 GMT

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2001 18:56:19 GMT, Steve Mading
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >The Linux kernel
> >was started by a Finn who since then has moved to California,
> >and today there are still a large number of US people involved,
> >including "Maddog" Hall (unofficially the second in command after
> >Linus, I would guess).
> Don't forget the kernel was based on the Minix kernel written by
> Tanenbaum. I believe he was American.

huh?

First off, Tannenbaum is Dutch, and while minix may have
inspired Linus to start coding, he relied on Maurice J Bach's
"The Design of the Unix Operating System" as the main
technical resource. He did utilize the minix filesystem early
on, but dropped those training wheels almost immediately.

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:05:33 GMT

kmail is really perty. i would just upgrade to KDE2. KDE2 is really
perty, too.

make sure you compile kdesupport, then kdelibs, then kmail. ;-)

--
Christopher

In article <94qhjh$h7i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <93l3gv$mcm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm running SuSE Linux 6.4, and the KDE 1 and kmail 1.0.28 that came
> > with it.  kmail (but nothing else) crashes every few days when
> fetching
> > POP-mail, freezing X(-windows) and requiring a reboot and fsck; none
> of
> > the escapes to text mode work.  It often crashes when fetching spam
> > containing Big-5 (Chinese) text, but can be killed and restarted.
> Worst
> > of all (in addition to a few more failure modes) it sometimes
deletes
> > mail on its own initiative.  I'd upgrade kmail to its latest
version,
> > but, according to the kmail website, to do that I'd also have to
> > upgrade to KDE 2, which I'd rather not take the time for at the
> moment.
> >
> > I'm seeking recommendations for a POP-mail client that has the
> features
> > of kmail -- multiple mbox files ("folders") into which I can move a
> set
> > of selected messages from inbox with only a few key- or mouse-
strokes,
> > address book, spam filters, multiple sort modes, attachment and MIME
> > capability, and compatibility with KDE 1.  It doesn't need a builtin
> > editor -- I'd be happy to use the one in Midnight Commander.  Most
of
> > all I want it to handle my mail safely, not discarding anything I
> don't
> > tell it to (and even having a "trashcan" where it puts mail I do
tell
> it
> > to discard, so I can change my mind).  I'd like one that can check
at
> > least one POP-mail account automatically every few minutes (without
> > crashing, of course).
> >
> > I'm very leery of kmail at this point, but I guess I'd be ok with a
> later
> > version that's known to have fixed these problems, and works with
KDE
> 1.
> > Eudora or Pegasus Mail would be great, but they've not been ported
> > Linux.  I used to use Elm with Unix, but it doesn't have the
features
> > and convenience of kmail or Eudora.  I don't care whether it's X- or
> > curses-based (I still use lynx when I don't need the features of
> > Netscape), but I'd rather, e.g., select a destination mbox file
from a
> > menu than type in its name each time.
> >
> > I could spend a week trying every MUA in linux.davecentral, but
> reliability
>
> Just done that.....
>
> > would still be a question.  So I'm asking for recommendations from
> folks
> > who've been using a program for at least a couple of months and who
> know
> > that it fulfills the above (admittedly long and picky) wishlist.
> >
> > Heartfelt thanks in advance!
> >
> > Mark S Bilk, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >

> I came up with Mahogany in the end; they're a few bit's that need
fixing
> but very minor ('don't ask me this again' boxs that gets ignored).
I've
> not managed to crash it yet (3 weeks now). It does have a waste basket
> that you get asked if you want to empty when you exit.
>
> Tip -download the rpms you need rather than the source, unless you've
> got a lot of patience... I spent about 2 hours downloading various
bits
> and getting nowhere - I couldn't get wxWindows (which you need) to
> compile at all, despite having installed everything asked for.. The
rpms
> work just fine though. You'll get both from http://www.sourceforge.net
>
> Pete
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dynamic DNS service
Date: 27 Jan 2001 04:20:03 GMT

Thanks Paul.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:24:10 +1100

Darren and Marla Welson wrote:

> I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
> one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to
> access
> my tape drive.  I have tried:
> mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
> mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
> but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have
> added the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
>
> darren welson

I do not think you can mount a tape drive.

You might need to use tar, dd, cpio kind of utilities to perform backup.

"dmesg" command would provide useful information about both SCSI card and
tape drive if they were initialised by kernel.

Generally the device files for SCSI tape drives are /dev/st0, /dev/st1 and
so on.

Hari.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:52:59 -0600

news:94tbof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:29:09 GMT

Mark Bratcher writes:
> So he _was_ indeed a native born American and didn't move out until his
> post-doc years.

If the situation was reversed I'd say he was an American, so I'd say he is
Dutch now.  Europeans will probably disagree.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: The Archimage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Proliant 2500R + Red Hat 6.2 - RAID5 suddenly loses drives
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:46:43 GMT

OK, here's the scenario:

I have a Compaq Proliant 2500R, dual PPro 200's, a gig of EDO ECC RAM,
and an external Compaq F1 Raid array with 9 identical Seagate 9.1 gig
SCSI drives.  Several months ago (right when RH6.2 was released), I
installed RH6.2 in GUI mode, set up a 24 meg partition mounted on /boot,
and the rest of the array as /dev/md0, a RAID5 array, mounted on /.

The server was at a remote site, and I have to admit I didn't watch the
logs as closely as I should have.  I ssh'd in on January 16th, and
noticed in /var/log/messages that a "disk failure" had occured on one of
the disks, and the array was continuing on 6 disks.  I used
raidhotremove to remove the drive from the stripe set, and then
raidhotadd to add it back in and regenerate the stripe set.  The server
crashed, showing a second drive "failed."  I lost all the data on the
array.

Assuming I had a bad drive or drives, blew the machine away, formatted
the drives with an NT workstation install and format.com.  The drives
formatted and scandisked fine, so I blew NT away and reinstalled RH6.2
with RAID5, checking for bad blocks, configured again as mentioned
above.  The install didn't even finish before RAID errors were reported.

I figured maybe I had a bad CPU, so I replaced both just to be sure.

I called Compaq, and they told me to upgrade to the latest BIOS and
utilities, and then run the system erase utility.  I did, then I ran the
compaq diagnostics.  I ran two complete runs (took 66 hours), and the
machine, the CPUs, the memory, the SCSI controller, and the disks all
passed.  I figured I had it licked, so I reinstalled RH6.2 again, with
RAID5.  It installed beautifully, ran for a couple of hours fine, and
then I started running kernel compiles in six 10-cycle loops, one loop
on each console to stress test it.

Sure enough, a disk was marked bad and removed from the array.

I'm baffled.  This setup ran fine for MONTHS.  The machine tests fine
after ridiculously granular tests.  But it can't keep striping going.

Any clues where to look next?  I'm leaning towards bypassing the onboard
NCR SCSI card and putting an Adaptec 2940UW in a PCI slot and running
the array off of it.

Thanks
The Archimage

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:21:52 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Timothy J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94tbof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <i4mc6.779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Activation doesn't require you to give any information, other than a one
> way
> > >hash code (similar to PGP public keys) generated from your hardware
> > >configuration.
> >
> > What happens if part of the hardware of the computer is replaced by
> > a different component?  E.g. suppose someone decides that s/he wants
> > to have the fancy new video card or whatever?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.018% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NoClue)
Subject: Boot stall in MDK 7.1...added bonus: couple of other questions
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:27:28 GMT

Ok when I boot up Mandrake 7.1 it stalls for a few minutes when it
gets to: Starting system logger, then is continues after a few
minutes.  Never did this....Also stalls when all the check are done
and the GUI for Login comes up...it goes to a blank screen and then
again after a couple of mins a finally comes up...what gives?

never did this before...

also

when I goto the dir where I'm supposed to type /network
restart..nothing is says file not found but I see the file...help.

also my NIC is set up on IRQ 5 (dont know why) but could that be a
problem for connection with @home?

THanks for any help..

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:33:46 -0500

Steve Withers wrote:

> G'day
>
> I've been following developments closely on this.
>
> It appears that sometime this year all new Microsot software will need
> to be registered....or it will cease to function.
>
> This may offer OS alternatives like Linux a huge toe in the desktop
> door. With more and more homes being networked and having multiple PCs,
> how many home and small business users are going to be forced to pay up
> and stop using the "One CD fits all" approach they use today?
>
> In my own case.....I would have to upgrade 7 home PCs every year for
> both Windows and MS Office.....to the tune of lots of dosh per annum. As
> it is, I now have 3 of those systems on Linux...and quite happily.
>
> But some of my family members are reluctant to give up Windows. I may
> have to suggest to them that they pay for it in future....as I will only
> be paying for Linux software from 2001 onward.
>
> It is intersting that the US produced Windows......the country with
> one-party (two faction) politics has also given us no choice on the
> desktop. While politically diverse Europe with multi-party, proportional
> systems as the politcal norm, has given us Open Software and Linux....
>
> Sort of the illusion of freedom (US politics) vs the reality of freedom
> (European politics - outside Britain).
>
> There is an underlying cultural thing operating here somewhere...... :-)
>
> Steve

Well, now, it isn't as deep as that. Microsoft dominates the desktop market
because it was free to pursue that and push its product hard. I don't see
anything wrong with that. MS has recently went over the line in some of its
tactics, but that may be subsiding. As someone else points out, there are
no American OSs that are open source? America has never developed anything
for the free software community? Bull. It doesn't have anything to do with
politics as much as your post has made it out to be.

Besides, about the registration thing, just wait awhile and someone will
have a registration code cracker out. Take WinZip as an example. They give
a free full version evaluation copy, which promts you for a reg code every
time you start it. I went surfing on the web and found a simple little
cracker prog that generates a fake reg code and viola. Now, I'm not
condoning it, but what the hell. Someone will be out w/ an M$ cracker soon.

m^3

------------------------------

From: JuanMa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: what news reader do you use?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:32:59 -0500

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:19:22 GMT, "blix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am currently using PAN... it seems to be the closest to the newsreader
>I am used to on my Windows machine (MS Outlook Express).
>
>But I've been trying to use emacs to read the news but find it very
>non-intuitive and cumbersome. Is it worth it to learn to read the news in
>emacs?
>
>What news readers do you all use?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>blix

Newbie wise.  Which one would you recommend?

Thank You.

Take Care.

JuanMa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Remove the last .com to reply

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 27 Jan 2001 05:52:10 GMT

I despise them both. :)

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:00:00 -0600

"David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Timothy J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:94tbof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > way
> > >
> > > What happens if part of the hardware of the computer is replaced by
> > > a different component?  E.g. suppose someone decides that s/he wants
> > > to have the fancy new video card or whatever?
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16274.html

And?  Your article is from 3 days earlier.  My article mentions that article
and comments that it's unnecesary.