From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nameserver not available, Linux network goes down
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:31:39 GMT

"Dustin Puryear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:26:19 +0100, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >tables?
> >
> >> I believe that he should be able to ping the IP of any interface that
> >is
> >> configured up no matter what is in /etc/hosts.  IIRC the kernel
> >> short-circuits such packets.
> >
> >That's correct.  But maybe his path includes an nfs mounted directory,
> >mounted hard.  Or maybe he tried it from within X with the display
> >variable set to me.my.mine:0.
>
> No on all of these.
>
> >I.e. I am looking for things that would prevent him seeing what is
> >happening by locking most of his machine up.
>
> Well, if I have time and I get the greenlight I am going to try and
reproduce
> this error. I'll then come back with more information.
>
> Anyway, any more ideas, clues, or gotchas?

If you have a spare machine (or even a spare window to run it on) run
tcpdump and log the results.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Command-Line Editing Issues
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:33:46 GMT

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:25:07 GMT, Bob Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I wrestled with this problem myself when i installed rh6.2 a couple
>> of months ago.  The way i fixed it was by creating a file in my home
>> dir called ".inputrc", containing the following line:
>> set editing-mode vi
>
>Thanks for the tips, Chris.  However, set editing-mode vi did
>not work for me (with bash 2.04.11).  For one thing, echo
>$SHELLOPTS shows that I'm still in emacs commandline editing
>mode.  Additionally, I should be able to toggle from insert
>mode to command mode with esc and have subsequent input taken
>as commands.  For example, if I want to move my cursor three
>words to the left, I should be able to type: esc bbb

You probably need to unset INPUTRC before ~/.inputrc takes precedense
over /etc/inputrc.  Depending on your situation you may also choose to
edit /etc/inputrc.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: mandrake vs redhat?
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:33:16 GMT

At my company there has been a big wave of defections from redhat to
mandrake, which is supposed to be "redhat compliant".  One of the most
attractive things is that mandrake has built in IBm viavoice voice
recgonition.

My concern is that the support for Mandrake is not as good as with Redhat
as far as mailing lists, updates on their webpage, etc, etc.

Are there any opinions?  Are there any compelling reasons why I should NOT
switch to Mandrake and stay with (and tolerate) Redhat7.0?

From: "Natman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Networking strange problems!
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:48:03 GMT

Personally, I know my Motorola cable modem doesn't do this.  My cable modem
will talk to (supposedly) 5 ethernet cards at once.  I've been able to
switch between 2 machines for testing and such.  Only noticable "feature" is
that it seems to assign the IP address based on MAC address (so I start with
an IP for machine A, get a diff IP for machine B, but when I switch back to
machine A, i get the first IP back).  I havn't tried with more than 2
machines.

To the origional poster:
Why are you using a hub in the first place?  Try without one (and a
crossover cable, of course).  I have a feeling this a hardware problem with
your NIC.  Try replacing it.  If itz ISA, get a PCI one if you can.  If itz
PCI, try moving it away from all of the other cards (so it has a space on
each side).  Sounds like linux looses the IRQ, etc.  If you are really
desperate, try running a packet sniffer in linux, try enable debugging in
the kernel, check to see (before and after the NIC is out) if the proper
modules are still loaded... perhaps RH "accidentally" removes the module
while itz doing itz cleaning.  (Yes, every so often a cron job runs that
removes un-needed modules).  There's so much you can still do.  Please post
back with results of this testing.  Also, look through logs and send
anything that might be out of order.  IF ALL ELSE FAILS --- my personal
solution to any unsolvable problem --- reinstall Linux, trying to just
"upgrade".  Don't actually format your hard drive, just reinstall over the
existing stuff.

Natman

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:gD6d6.22647$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> somebody correct me on this if I am wrong but there is a
problem(feature? )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: filesystem space disappeared
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:40:40 GMT

Hi,

I have installed Redhat 6.1 on two machine with the exact
configuration.  There is one filesystem showing 95% full and the other
97%.  Both were 95% full in the beginning.  One of the increase slowly
from 95% to 96% and then to 97%.  This filesystem contains sybase
database files only.  All these files have pre-allocated size and will
not extend on its own.  I have also checked the files and sizes, they
are exactly the same on both system.  The only difference I can see so
far is when I use the "-s" option in "ls -als" command.  Here is the
output ...

system 1
========
datamill@ginger:/sybdevices/sysdev> ls -als
total 340536
     4 drwxrwxr-x   2 sybase   sybase       4096 Feb  2  2000 ./
     4 drwxr-xr-x   5 sybase   sybase       4096 Feb  2  2000 ../
  8796 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   31457280 Jan 26 15:02 master.dat
 61504 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   62914560 Jan 25 20:22
systemprocs.dat
270228 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   524288000 Jan 26 15:07
tempdb_01.dat

system 2
========
datamill@maryanne:/sybdevices/sysdev> ls -als
total 125612
    4 drwxrwxr-x   2 sybase   sybase       4096 Feb 14  2000 ./
    4 drwxr-xr-x   5 sybase   sybase       4096 Feb 14  2000 ../
 8792 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   31457280 Jan 26 15:05 master.dat
61504 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   62914560 Dec 16 10:00
systemprocs.dat
55308 -rw-rw-r--   1 sybase   sybase   524288000 Jan 26 15:03
tempdb_01.dat

system 1 is the one with 97% full.  What's the "-s" option show?  In
both case, the first column (in Kbytes) is smaller than the 6th column
(in bytes) for the file tempdb_01.dat.

I have run fsck numerous times and it didn't help.

Any help will be appreciated.  And please send responses directly to my
email account [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Banquo.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Dennis)
Subject: Re: what is ld-linux.so
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:40:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, all wrote:

>i'm not sure is it ld-linux.so or id-linux.so
>it took 92% of my cpu usage while i'm online.
>help plzzz

 ld-linux.so is the main Linux shared library loader.
 All normal statically linked programs are linked against
 ld-linux.so which contains the code to resolve, locate and
 manage loading

 On Debian ld-linux.so has its own man page:

``
ld.so(8)                                                 ld.so(8)

NAME
       ld.so/ld-linux.so - dynamic linker/loader

DESCRIPTION
       ld.so loads the shared libraries needed by a program, pre­
       pares the program  to  run,  and  then  runs  it.   Unless
       explicitly  specified  via the -static option to ld during
       compilation, all Linux programs are incomplete and require
       further linking at run time.
''

 That goes on to explain how you can control Linux' dynamic
 is used by the loader/linker.  You should also read about the
 ldconfig command (which is used to read the /etc/ld.so.conf and
 to create the /etc/ld.so.cache --- which ensures that the system
 can find all the installed/configured shared libraries).

 As far seeing an unusual load from ld-linux.so... I'd be very
 suspicious of this activity.  I would *NEVER* expect ld-linux.so
 to be executing as a separate binary (so no normal process should
 have that for its name nor as it's executable image).

 It's possible that you've been hacked.  Some cracker may have
 replaced your ld-linux.so with one that performs some clandestine
 function (portscanning for more targets, or acting as an agent
 in DDoS --- distributed denial of service attacks).

 If I were you, I'd restart the system from a rescue diskette
 (write-protected) or a bootable CD (Tom's Root/Boot and the
 Linuxcare bootable business card, BBC, are good choices).

 Do a backup of your whole system.  Do a second, separate,
 backup of just your data and /etc files.  If you use
 cpio, dump or some other backup program, then you should
 also create a tar file of the root and /usr filesystems.

 Now do a re-install of Linux; from the root directory of
 the new system run tar dzf specifying the file or
 media (/dev/st0 for SCSI tape) on which you stored your
 system backup.  tar's "d" (--diff) directive will report
 on differences between your installation (extent files) and
 the corresponding files from your backup.  Obviously some
 of those differences will be accounted for by changes
 you made to your system (particularly among your /etc and
 other config files).  Some might be a result of various
 RPM or other packages that you installed or upgraded after
 your previous ISL (initial system load).

 However, you may see a pattern of changes to files like
 /bin/login, /sbin/inetd, /bin/ps, /bin/ls, etc.  That's
 characteristic of a "rootkit."  Obviously you'll be
 particularly interested in whether files in your /lib/
 and /usr/lib (including ld-linux.so) have been modified.

 I should mention that your conclusion that ld-linux.so
 is running might be based on erroneous data.  Programs
 can modify their own command tail (argument list) including
 arg[0] (the "program name" as displayed in ps, top, et al).
 You can look under /proc and track down the exe symlink
 for your (suspect) process to determine which executable the
 kernel actually loaded (exec()'d) for that process.  On
 older kernels this would be a device/inode pointer; but with
 2.2 and later it should normally be a symlink to the executable's
 filename (due to the kernel's "dcache" directory entry caching
 subsystem).

 Of course that assumes that your kernel is trustworthy. If you think
 you've been hacked, don't trust your kernel.  There was a
 Linux kernel module called linspy.o that demonstrated ways that a
 loadable kernel module could "hide" itself and a list of
 processes and files.  Similar demonstrations have been made
 by direct modification of /dev/kmem or /proc/kmem, on kernels
 that didn't have loadable module support enabled; and similar
 exploits are possible (some have been demonstrated) under
 FreeBSD and other UNIX systems.

 If you've been cracked then your only safe recourse is to
 reboot from a "known clean" medium and perform a full
 re-installation (or at least a full system audit against
 a *known clean* backup).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Ackman)
Subject: Re: best internal modem?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:53:46 -0500

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:01:49 -0800, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>thanks, but to be more specific, what is the most compatible internal
>*PCI* modem? My Dell 4100 only has PCI slots.

  Any modem that has a *16550 UART* is a hardware modem.  They
are relatively rare compared to the plethora of winmodems, but
all you have to do is look for that key term on the box, or in
the specs.

--
Steve Ackman
http://twovoyagers.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: Berkeley "r" commands
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:55:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Edelbrok) wrote in
<ozUd6.61622$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>How do you disable access to Berkeley "r" commands. I presume these are
>things like rlogin, rsh, etc. I see that they are located in /usr/bin,
>so I could wipe them out or lock them up. But is there a global setting
>that says "Trash all Berkeley 'r' commands until indicated otherwise"?

Have a look at /etc/inetd.conf, you've probably got a section that looks
something like this (actually from a Solaris box):

#
# Shell, login, exec, comsat and talk are BSD protocols.
#
shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rshd       in.rshd
login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rlogind    in.rlogind
exec    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rexecd     in.rexecd
comsat  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.comsat     in.comsat
talk    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.talkd      in.talkd

Comment out the ones you wish to disable and send a kill -HUP to inetd.

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to add new item to ntsysv?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 02:03:12 +0800

How to add new item to ntsysv to add new boot up job?

------------------------------

From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftpaccess file question
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:10:09 -0600

I have set up an FTP user on my Red Hat 7 machine. The user can FTP but the
settings in the ftpaccess for are not being applied. How do I get the users
FTP login to apply the rules in the ftpaccess file?

I am using the same setup on my Slackware machine and it works properly.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Mair)
Subject: Re: I wish to RTFM, but where is TFM I need?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:17:12 +0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:51:49 -0500, Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snippetty snip snip>

>PEERDNS is not in man pppd.

>From man pppd :

usepeerdns
          Ask the peer for up to 2 DNS server addresses.  The
          addresses  supplied by the peer (if any) are passed
          to the /etc/ppp/ip-up  script  in the  environment
          variables  DNS1  and  DNS2.  In addition, pppd will
          create an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing  one
          or  two  nameserver lines with the address(es)
          supplied by the peer.

--
 Kenneth Mair               | "There's no justice,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] |  there's just us."

------------------------------

From: Robert Nagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ocr linux scanner: ocr support for linux scanners?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:01:24 GMT

 I'm looking for a scanner/OCR combination for linux.

I don't want to spend a bundle.
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

I know that vividata ocr shop can be used with linux.
http://www.vividata.com/scanshop.html

But the scanners they support seem only to be high end, and most of
them I can't even find prices for. (maybe they are out of date).

Does anyone have experiences with running ocr shop on linux? Are there
any open source ocr attempts? rj

--
Robert Nagle ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Technical Writer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: setting the editor in pine?!
Date: 31 Jan 2001 18:19:45 GMT

I use elm because it is Vi-esque.  Pine seems to be more popular but it is
Pico-esque.  Is it possible to run Vi(m) with Pine?!

thanks

------------------------------

From: tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hello, asking for help
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:30:09 -0000

Hi I just want it to know, which programming language can be used to
create an operating system such as lynex, microsoft ect.

From: Steve Holdoway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel recompilation - "system too big?"
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:31:07 +0100

Try make bzImage. Works for me.

Stsve

From: Steve Holdoway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Better wait for Linux Kernel 2.4.x
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:33:58 +0100

I've upgraded RedHat 6.2 to 2.4.0, but without glibc 2.2. It's running
fine, supporting Oracle 8.1.7, lvm and IBM jfs on an SMP platform.

So, what's your problem?

Steve