Linux-Misc Digest #328, Volume #27               Sat, 10 Mar 01 16:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Kernel Upgrade crashed X-Server (mike polniak)
  Re: adding LOTS of users (quickly) (Doug O'Leary)
  Re: Extend Keyboard keys:  (sound up/down, the "Dell" button, "Play"....) (mike
polniak)
  R: Help - lost partition information ("Emi80")
  Re: bind, bind8, bind9 (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Change memory limits for large executable? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: video editing ("steve")
  wine ("The Webbs")
  Re: Linux system recovery ("D. Thomas Podnar")
  direct restart after compiling the kernel???? (Bert)
  Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel???? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel???? ("Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren")
  Re: bind, bind8, bind9 (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Does GNapster work on FreeBSD ? (John)
  Re: What format is this file and how I decode it? ("The Spook")
  Free ISP for Linux Users? (J Garcia)
  A Better Web Browser...PLEASE! (Steve Withers)
  Re: cross-posting (Steve Withers)

From: mike polniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Upgrade crashed X-Server
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:18:04 GMT

Mathias Kohlenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello!

> Yesterday evening, I intended to upgrade my 2.2 kernel to 2.4.2. I
> configured everything with "make xconfig", then performed "make dep" and
> "make clean". I copied the bzImage over to /boot and then wanted to
> create an image-file of the kernel. I got my first doubts, when the
> system wasn't able to find the command "mkinitrd" anymore. I thought a
> reboot could help here. During the boot of the old kernel everything
> seemed to be fine, but when entering graphical login, all I saw was a
> constantly self-refreshing text-screen. There was an error message there,
> but it was hard to figure out what it said, because as soon as it was
> displayed the screen would go blank again. What I could figure out of the
> error message was something like "... gdm.pid seems to be running already
> ... however it was mysteriously murdered ...".

        Try removing the links that start gdm. And run> startx.
--
LINUX~~nobody owns it~~everybody can use it~~anybody can improve it

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding LOTS of users (quickly)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:43:29 -0800

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.misc and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

Hey;

Check to see if you have a /usr/sbin/newusers program.  I'm not sure how
many Linux variants it comes with, but it's a usefull little program.
Presupposing you have it, some details can be found on my lessons learned
page @ http://people.ce.mediaone.net/dkoleary/ll.html.  That will
redirect you from Mediaone's systems to my Linux box. The link you're
looking for is titled "Adding users in batch", first entry, first column
of the Linux section about 1/2 down the ll page.

HTH;

Doug

--
===================
Douglas K. O'Leary

From: mike polniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Extend Keyboard keys:  (sound up/down, the "Dell" button, "Play"....)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:54:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Lowell Alleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a Dell Insperon 8000 laptop.  I'd like to use some of the special
> keys to do something useful under linux....   Example:  I'd like to make
> the Volume-Up and Volume-Down actually control the sound level....

> But the Volume-UP/Down keys do not seem to generate scan codes,  Is there
> some other way to use them?  (If not, then how does it work under windows?)

        Use > xev  to get key scancodes. Go to  linux.com and read
HOWTO article on Mapping Extra Function Keys.
--
LINUX~~nobody owns it~~everybody can use it~~anybody can improve it

From: "Emi80" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: R: Help - lost partition information
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:16:44 GMT

I've a software that allow to save some or all informations from an hard
disk.
This software start from a floppy. You said what sort of parttion you need
and It shows you a tree-structure of informations that It found.
There is a file in which you can read the instruction.
The only thing is that You need an other hard disk where to save the
information.
I had a similar problem and I resolved it with this sotware.

If you want it send me a message.

3aa8cbbb$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: bind, bind8, bind9
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:43:47 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:14:41 +0100, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Well, you can set up bind 8.2.3 and later (perhaps earlier, too) to
>> run as any user (e.g., named) and any group (e.g., named)

>Interesting. But how does it access the domain port? That's below 1024.

The same way Apache runs as a non-priviledged user.  It is started by
root and then changes to another ID.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Change memory limits for large executable?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:43:48 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:38:14 +0100, Thomas Ruedas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a dual board Linux PC with 786K RAM and 1.6G swap, and I am
>trying to run an executable which is quite large:
>> size convec3d
>   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> 649952  283536 1383243996      1384177484      5280df4c        convec3d
>(as far as I understand it, it's about 650K).

Er, BSS alone is much larger than 650K.  Looks like about 1.3 GB to me.
Whatcha doin' there Willis?

> When I try to start this executable, it crashes with the error
> "Speicherzugriffsfehler" (Memory access error), and I guess that it's
> just too large.

Maybe it just has a bug.  Or maybe your kernel is compiled with a max
process size of 1 GB.  Here's a snip from my kernel .config:

# CONFIG_1GB is not set
CONFIG_2GB=y
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y
# CONFIG_SMP is not set

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video editing
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:54:18 -0500

OnWed, 07 Mar 2001 16:10:11 -0500, "cedric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are there any video editing programs for Linux? If so, where can they
> be found at? What about 'avi to mpeg' converters?
>
> cedric

Not for linux per se, but when Apple releases it's long awaited next OS
based on BSD there will be some very good video apps available,
probably not free though.

--
Steve - Toronto ICQ 35454764
Powered by GNU/Linux

------------------------------

From: "The Webbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wine
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:25:11 -0800

i have wine, but do not get the windows desktop. I've seen people run wine
with a desktop, but I can't. I have Linux-Mandrake 7.0

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:04:30 -0500
From: "D. Thomas Podnar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux system recovery

==============34E7DA72AFD3244BDD0429CB

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Ron Goodwyn wrote:
> >
> > I'm new to the linux world. Right now, I'm running RedHat 6.2. Are there
> > any tools out there, freeware or otherwise that will allow you to
> > generate a system recovery tape that is also bootable (from a DAT tape
> > drive)? . I would like to have something like this in the event I need
> > to restore my system.
> >
> If your DAT drive is one of those from Hewlett Packard, featuring OBDR
> (One-Button Disaster Recovery) presumably this is standard. You write
> a backup tape using appropriate software and after you replace your
> hard drives (presumed crashed) with new ones, you just put the OBDT
> tape in the drive, and hold the eject button in for 5 seconds or so
> while powering up the system. The tape drive pretends to be a CD-ROM
> and the BIOS should be able to boot from that. The stuff actually on
> the tape is all your files (including everything in /dev), and it can
> set up all your partitions and everything. Your new hard drive(s) must
> be at least as large as your old ones.
>

>http://www.products.storage.hp.com/eprise/main/storage/tapebackup/selectionPages/obdr.htm
>
> --
>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
> ^^-^^ 8:05pm up 6 days, 3:10, 3 users, load average: 1.53, 1.92, 1.97

OBDR (One Button Disaster Recovery) support doesn't just "happen"
because
the drive is capable of it. The capability needs to be engineered into
the backup / crash recovery software.

There are currently three known vendors supporting OBDR disaster
recovery
under Linux. All are commercial products.

They are (Alphabetically) by vendor...

EST (Enhanced Software Technologies) BRU/CRU - 1-800-998-8649
Microlite BackupEDGE/RecoverEDGE - 1-888-257-3343
Yosemite TapeWare - 1-800-228-9236

I highly recommend you get an evaluation copy from each vendor to
see which product works best for you.

--
Tom
---

begin:vcard
n:Podnar;D Thomas
tel;fax:724-375-6908
tel;work:724-375-6711
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.microlite.com
org:Microlite Corporation
adr:;;2315 Mill Street;Aliquippa;PA;15001-2228;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:President
note:Makers of Microlite BackupEDGE
fn:Podnar, Tom
end:vcard

From: Bert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: direct restart after compiling the kernel????
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:22:05 +0100

Hello,

Is it possible to let my PC restart immediately after I have compiled the
kernel? I compile like this:
make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install

Thanks in advance.

Bert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: direct restart after compiling the kernel????
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:40:21 GMT

Bert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is it possible to let my PC restart immediately after I have compiled the
> kernel? I compile like this:
> make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install

Try:

# make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install; shutdown -r now
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape eats 100% CPU and hangs when viewing Java pages
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:40:12 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> If you mean magic-sysreq, it's compiled in the kernel, and the
> >> sequence is ctrl-alt-sysreq-s (for sync). Then -i for kill
> >> large numbers of tasks. Then -u for remounting all your partitions
> >> readonly. -b for reboot (fast!). Etc.
>
> > When my X Window System locks up, usually (if not always) as a result
> > of some Netscape problem), it is so locked up that it ignores the
> > keyboard and mouse completely. Thus, typing any sequence whatever is
>
> I don't believe it can ignore the keyboard.

I do not think I am mistaken. Whenever my X Windowing system locks up,
I know for sure that C-A-Backspace and C-A-PF[1-6] do not work. IIRC
c-a-SysRq-s (or -anything in the list that I have now forgotten) do
not seem to do anything. I know when I tried things like that (before
I thought to come in with ssh from my other machine), pressing the
reset button restarted things, but fsck got very angry and sometimes
needed manual help to get things running again.

C-A-Delete does not work at all from X Window System, but it seems it
is not supposed to. Since this is not Windows, I would not need to do
that very often anyway, and /sbin/shutdown -r now is not that hard to
run if I want to reboot under normal conditions (but under normal
conditions, I do not want to reboot).

> What kernel are you running?

At the moment, I am running Red Hat Linux 6.2 as modified by Valinux
Systems. They call it Red Hat Linux 6.2.3, if that is what you mean.
If it isn't, I assume you mean: 2.2.14-VA.2.1smp

> The keyboard driver is in the kernel and can't be intercepted
> in software .. I think the kernel passes the requests somehow to the X
> userspace driver, but I don't have a clue how. But I am fairly certain
> that the userspace driver can't displace the kernel one. I thought that
> the keyboard sends an interrupt and the code entered in the appropriate
> interrupt vector location gets to treat it. That must be a kernel
> bottom half handler routine (caveat: I am not and have no intention of
> becoming a graphics  programmer or expetr).
>
> > futile. The only way into the system at that point is by running ssh
> > from my other machine over the LAN. Fortunately, that always works
> > unless the machine really crashed.
>
> It's puzzling. sysreq is really low level.

Well, I hope it never happens again, but I will try to remember to try
that. Since I usually just go to my other machine and come in on ssh
and do init 3 followed by init 5 and that fixes it, though, I may
forget.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 1:25pm up 7 days, 20:30, 5 users, load average: 2.33, 2.46, 2.43

------------------------------

From: "Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Mar 2001 19:42:31 +0100

[cbbrowne]

| Try:
|
| # make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install; shutdown -r now

surely

# make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install && shutdown -r now

?

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:05:37 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, you can set up bind 8.2.3 and later (perhaps earlier, too) to
> > run as any user (e.g., named) and any group (e.g., named) and run it
> > in a chroot environment (e.g., /var/named) which greatly reduces the
>
> Interesting. But how does it access the domain port? That's below 1024.
> So root processes are the only ones allowed there.

When you start named (bind), it is running as root, but if it has a -u
argument, it does a setuid() or something to become that. Similarly
for a -g arguement where it probably does a setgid().

If you do a -t argument, you have to do a lot of preparation. You move
all the stuff from /etc to /var/named/etc (if /var/named is the
argument of -t), so my /var/named looks something like this (slightly
edited output of du -a /var/named):

1       /var/named/named.pid
234     /var/named/sbin/ldconfig
235     /var/named/sbin
2       /var/named/db.cache
0       /var/named/dev/null
0       /var/named/dev/log
2       /var/named/dev
1       /var/named/etc/named.conf
1       /var/named/etc/hosts
2       /var/named/etc/localtime
1       /var/named/etc/group
1       /var/named/etc/ld.so.cache
13      /var/named/etc
395     /var/named/usr/sbin/named-xfer
396     /var/named/usr/sbin
1       /var/named/usr/lib
398     /var/named/usr
1       /var/named/db.0
1       /var/named/.xauth
1       /var/named/db.192.168.1
1       /var/named/db.localdomain
1       /var/named/db.127.0.0
0       /var/named/lib/libc.so.6
0       /var/named/lib/ld-linux.so.2
337     /var/named/lib/ld-2.1.3.so
4025    /var/named/lib/libc-2.1.3.so
4363    /var/named/lib
0       /var/named/var/run/ndc
1       /var/named/var/run
2       /var/named/var
1       /var/named/bin
5043    /var/named

I am not sure all those are needed or not. It depends on the exact
order that named uses the stuff, so I may have put in things that are
not needed. But this gives you the idea.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 1:55pm up 7 days, 21:00, 3 users, load average: 2.23, 2.13, 2.14

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does GNapster work on FreeBSD ?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:16:48 GMT

Arctic Storm wrote:

> Sorry for the question, but,...
> GNapster is a great tool for Linux.
> Has anyone successfully used GNapster on FreeBSD?
> If so, how?
> Thanks.

In the configure script in the gnapster tarball there is stuff about BSD,
so it should work.

try

./configure
gmake
gmake install

gmake is the GNU make utility, you should not use make in BSD as it is NOT
GNU make, there is a difference.

You might want to enable some options in configure (try the --help switch
to configure)

read the INSTALL file in the tarball.

/john

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What format is this file and how I decode it?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:39:25 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] skrev i meddelelsen ...
-- Cut --
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:11:34 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.2.4
>Connection: close
>
>.snd^@^@^@^X^@^@J|^@^@^@^A^@^@^_@^@^@^@^Aÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ^?ÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
>

> The problem is how to get the sound file from it - it's not
> for uudecode, file does not recognize it, so how do I use it?
>
> thanks, George.

This is probably a file in the Sun soundformat -- I know very little about
Linux and sound, so I cannot help with the secodn part of your question,
alas.

  /TRY

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:46:43 -0800 (PST)
From: J Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Free ISP for Linux Users?

I am looking for a free ISP for Linux users just like
NetZero is available for Windows users. Anybody know
if there is one? Thanks a lot.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: A Better Web Browser...PLEASE!
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:06:21 +1300

If anything is going to drive me back to Windowss it is *&%^$ Netscape.

I have both V6.0 and v4.75 installed on my RH Linux 7.0 system (kernel
2.4.1) and they are both....in a word...SHIT.

I have "kill-9" permanently in my command line buffer.....Netscape craps
out usually within 10-15 minutes of active use. What happens MOST often
with Netscape 6.0 is that links cease to be active. Nothing reacts to a
mouse click. It may aswell have crashed....and when I do a PS-A...I see
about 20 Java VMs all stacked up. Eh?

I need Java support.......so do I have any options? Opera? Konqueror?
Haven't tried either recently....tried Opera like 3 years ago.....

MS Explorer is starting to look good to me..... :-(

 Steve Withers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Registered Linux user #24688
 http://counter.li.org

 "First, they ignore you. Then they
 laugh at you. Then they fight you.
 Then you win." Mahatma Ghandi

------------------------------

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cross-posting
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:07:12 +1300

wroot wrote:

> Drew Roedersheimer wrote:
>
> >And, please, don't
> > crosspost like this in the future.
>
> I can't think of a topic that would be appropriate in alt.os.linux , but
> not in comp.os.linux.misc and vice versa. If, in addition, debian is
> discussed, why can't I cross-post to linux.debian.user ??? The NG itself is
> rather stale, but I don't see why it should stop me from (cross)posting
> there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wroot

I agree with you, Wroot.