Linux-Misc Digest #402, Volume #27               Tue, 20 Mar 01 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("arman96")
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("arman96")
  Re: where to set harddisk geometry ("Eric")
  Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How?? ("Eric")
  Re: HP Laserjet 2100 (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Lilo w/ Win98 and RH7, adding Win2k ("Eric")
  Re: Newbie Question - Case sensitivity causing problems? ("Eric")
  Re: Initiating kernel crash (Christopher Albert)
  Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How?? (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How?? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: X Startup Problem (Robert D'Amfino)
  Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How?? ("Eric")
  Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How?? ("Eric")
  change shell (Tommy Tang)
  Re: SOS No modem com4??? (Glitch)
  datdrive: tapesignature (peter pilsl)
  Re: X Startup Problem (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Repartitioning Linux Partitions (Thomas Ruedas)
  Re: Repartitioning Linux Partitions (Yvan Loranger)
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Repartitioning Linux Partitions ("Eric")
  Best Centralized Performance Monitor - Solaris/Linux/AIX/UX/NT-2000..??? ("Mike
Boiko")
  problems with netscape 4.75 and 4.76 (richard noel fell)

From: "arman96" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:23:37 GMT

I just rebooted and put in the same line to mount the floppy "mount -t vfat
/dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy" and now it say "fs type not supported by kernel. I
work last time What is going on?????

------------------------------

From: "arman96" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:24:19 GMT

OK mounted the drive OK now, But having trouble copying to the
/lib/module/net . I am typing mcopy command

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where to set harddisk geometry
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:24:54 +0100

> > > dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
> > > I used this command to clone a complete harddisk. Both disks are same
> > > brand, same model, same everything. Unfortunately fdisk reports heavy
> > > partition-errors on hdc now and /proc/ide/idex/hdx/geometry brings out
the
> > > awful truth:
> >
> > errors?
> > fdisk should be able to handle partitions that don't start/end on
cylinder
> > boundaries.
> > If you plug hdc in as hda, is it solved then?
> >

> the errors are:
> Disk /dev/hdc: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1232 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdc1             1        1     5512+  83  Linux native
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(10, 15, 63) should be (10, 254, 63)
> /dev/hdc2             1       18   131544   83  Linux native
> Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(271, 15, 63) should be (271, 254, 63)
>
> and so on ...
>
> Unfortunately the machine is "far away" from me and so it would mean a lot
> of work (and downtime) to plug in hdc as hda. But this is the purpose hdc
> is for : when hda fails, I want to put hdc instead and boot again.

You should try it once anyway.
You cannot be sure it works unless you try.

> I have to admit that I didnt even try to mount a partition from the cloned
> disk after getting the fdisk-errors. Now I tried and it works. So maybe
> this is more a cosmetical error than a real problem.

These aren't errors, just warnings.
DOS FDISK would choke on this table, as would Partition Magic.
Linux doesn't care.

If you don't like this, boot with the option "hdc=19650,16,63" (check the
syntax!)

> > It's the BIOS.
> > change hda settings to LBA addressing, and it wil probably use the same
> > logical settings as hdc uses now. It won't be bootable if you change
this
> > though.
> >

> The data will be lost or do I only have to reapply lilo after doing this
> step (which I'm afraid of ...)

You would get the same errors on hda as you get on hdc now.
never mind. If you change this, do it when you can recreate the
partitiontable.
Leave it as it is for now.

So, only rerunning lilo would be needed, but then the partitiontable is
giving warnings.
(I'm not sure if LILO likes this!) If you change the BIOS addressing,
reinstalling is
your best bet. (But you don't need to reinstall I yet, so don't touch it)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Text files -- Many into One -- How??
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:38:29 +0100

> > >really, you can use it from a program without using a shell, but
> > > that's not important.
> >
> > Could you show me an example of this?
>
> Here is a little program that uses cat without using the shell:
>
> #include <unistd.h>
> extern char **environ;
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
> execve( "/bin/cat", argv, environ );
>     return 0;
> }
>
> It just does the same job as cat... It's really stupid and I agree in
> all practical uses of cat you also need a shell.

Where would you run this program from?
You still need a shell, right?

Eric

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 2100
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:34:59 +0100

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Martin Greco wrote:

> I wonder if someone knows some specific drivers for the HP laserjet 2100
> pritner.
> I'm using it fith the laserjet 4/5/6 series filter (the printtool one) and
> works, but not in highest quality!

don't want to turn you away, but have you considered asking HP.
Guess you paid money for that printer and if I were you I would expect
some service. At least Lexmark hat a linux (or rather C code) utility for
the printer I bought from them and since it's a postscript printer it
doesn't need any "driver".
                                   Gerald

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo w/ Win98 and RH7, adding Win2k
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:47:28 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Thanks for the replies so far.
> So...
> Reinstall 98, linux boot disk and /sbin/lilo, then install w2k (on it's
> own partition is ok, right?).

make that linux bootdisk first!
the rest is correct.
(Again, it's easier when you install linux last!)

I cannot guarantee that reinstalling windows98 will leave linux intact.
My win98 disc does not respect an existing partitiontable, and will claim
the whole disc for itself. YMMV

>  Then add:
> other = /dev/hdxx
>      label = win2k  to lilo.conf.
> Then backup MBR, then /sbin/lilo again?  That'll give me 3 options in
lilo?

Still correct

> What about the w2k loader?

What about it?
You backed-up the MBR, so you restore if something fails.
The actual loader is at the NT C: partition I believe. Try it.

> Or when I install w2k will it see 98 and let me
> pick 98 or w2k?

It should do this indeed.

> And the other = /dev/hda will actually be pointing at the
> w2k boot loader?  Like lilo (linux or dos)-->w2k loader (98 or w2k)?

Again correct.

> I'm a bit confused at this part.  A bit more help...

Back-up what you don't want to lose and try it.
I can spell out every step for you, but I wont.
Give it a try, if the windows98 reinstall succeeds, the rest is easy.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question - Case sensitivity causing problems?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:44:10 +0100

> I'm trying to install XFree86 4.0.2 for Zipslack, which is running off a
> Win98 partition, but the installer script doesn't seem to be able to find
> the files. I have noticed, however, that despite starting with capital
> letters when displayed in windoze, the downloaded files are showing up
> entirely in lower-case under linux. It seems the install script wants
> Xbin.tgz etc. and just ignores xbin.tgz (infact the script wouldn't work
at
> all - until I entered "sh xinstall.sh", instead of "sh Xinstall.sh", as
per
> the docs).

xbin != Xbin
as you found out.
Why this happens? How could  I know?
You downloaded them, from windows?
As a tarball? Are they on a CD? On a FAT partition?

That last one is probably your problem.
I've seen a previous report on this problem, no too long ago.
I forgot if there was a way around it.
Try to search through the dejanews archives.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Christopher Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Initiating kernel crash
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:08:18 +0100

Juergen wrote

> Oh and try crash, a userspace application and let's see how long
> whichever kernel you've running survives. It's meant to crash Unices
> by the way and so helpful to weed out bugs.

Va linux has a kernel test suite that incorporates the ol' "crashme" and
lots more. If someone really wants to test to see if a linux system will
crash, I recommend Cerberus:

http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/software/Cerberus/

Chris

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 11:08:17 +0100

"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where would you run this program from?
> You still need a shell, right?

This question was sort of in the air right? The short question is
"yes", but not because the shell is in any way used by the programs,
it's usually the only interface you can launch programs from.

But, if you put an icon on your desktop that launches that program,
and if the X session has been started by init and not from a shell,
then you never used a shell :-)

--
Stefano - Hodie decimo tertio Kalendas Apriles MMI est

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:52:42 +0100

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>> execve( "/bin/cat", argv, environ );
>>     return 0;
>> }
>>
>> It just does the same job as cat... It's really stupid and I agree in
>> all practical uses of cat you also need a shell.

> Where would you run this program from?
> You still need a shell, right?

Actually no. You can put it in inittab and leave it on a console ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert D'Amfino)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X Startup Problem
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:22:28 -0000

On or about Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:15:07 -0500
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ....Posted....

>Hi,

>I run Mandrake 7.2 and I am having problems with the X server.  The
>system starts up fine, but I don't get the graphical login screen and I
>cannot seem to start X from the console.  I've tried typing startx, but
>i get the following message:  "Fatal server error:  Could not open
>default font 'fixed'".

>Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the system up and running?

>Thank you very much for your help,

>Kyle Smith

You may need to run 'drakxservices' and choose the xfs option which
is the xfont server, also run 'XFdrake' to setup your monitor and
video card again.

--
unclebob icq 3347043
linux user   0191976

Sure, Bill Gates may have seventy-four billion dollars,
but is he happy? He IS??  SHIT!!!      {dennis miller}

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:36:22 +0100

> >> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
> >> execve( "/bin/cat", argv, environ );
> >>     return 0;
> >> }
> >>
> >> It just does the same job as cat... It's really stupid and I agree in
> >> all practical uses of cat you also need a shell.
>
> > Where would you run this program from?
> > You still need a shell, right?
>
> Actually no. You can put it in inittab and leave it on a console ;-)

Hi Peter,

I realised something like this, just when I pressed sent.
I was thinking about screen to detach it, but you're right.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:37:36 +0100

> > Where would you run this program from?
> > You still need a shell, right?
>
> This question was sort of in the air right? The short question is
> "yes", but not because the shell is in any way used by the programs,
> it's usually the only interface you can launch programs from.

Yeah it was.
It was nitpicking, and even incorrect nitpicking.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Tommy Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: change shell
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:37:36 +0800

Dear all,

I try to change the login shell using chsh. after entering the passwd,
it says out:
setpwnam: file exists
Shell *NOT* changed. Try again later

I have searched,but can't fine the file "setpwnam". What that problem
actually is? How can I solve that?

--
Best Wishes,
Tommy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:04:12 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOS No modem com4???

Yvan Loranger wrote:

> Glitch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
>
>> ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS3
>> will link 'modem' to ttyS3
>

> i think you want ln -s /dev/ttyS3 /dev/modem

oops, yes u are right. The name of the link goes last. I guess my
fingers were moving faster than my mind.

------------------------------

From: peter pilsl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: datdrive: tapesignature
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:12:02 +0100

for our backuptapes I want to add a individual signature at the beginning
of the tape (like echo $signature>/dev/nsa0) and check for this signature
the next time. If there is no such signature, a signature should be
written. If there is, there should be a check if it is the right tape.

the problem: how to check, if there is already a signature ??
A simple cat /dev/nsa0 wont do it, cause if there is some different
content on the tape, the cat-command could deliver gigabytes of data back

I tried a dd if=/dev/nsa0 count=1 bs=512, but this delivers an i/o-error,
so dd seems not to work proper with the tapedrive.

any idea ??

thnx
peter

--
pilsl@
goldfisch.at

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:27:56 +0100

> On or about Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:15:07 -0500
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  ....Posted....

> >I run Mandrake 7.2 and I am having problems with the X server.  The
> >system starts up fine, but I don't get the graphical login screen and I
> >cannot seem to start X from the console.  I've tried typing startx, but
> >i get the following message:  "Fatal server error:  Could not open
> >default font 'fixed'".
> >Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the system up and running?

take a look at your XF86Config file - what does it say in the font
section?
                Gerald

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:27:36 +0100
From: Thomas Ruedas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Repartitioning Linux Partitions

There is a software called Partition Magic, which I think can do that.
It's $$, though.
HTH,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics, J.W.Goethe University Frankfurt
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 20 Mar 2001 12:41:57 GMT

 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> My computer currently has 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.
> The first 2 are used by Win2K.  The 3rd is used by Linux.  I would like to
> create a 4th partition by getting some space from the extended Linux
> partition. How can I do this without destroying any of my data ?

& what would this primary partition do that another logical p. within the
extended p. not be able to do? [even destroying data you can't create a
4th primary & still have an extended]

--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:29:40 GMT

arman96 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just rebooted and put in the same line to mount the floppy "mount -t vfat
> /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy" and now it say "fs type not supported by kernel. I
> work last time What is going on?????

Your kernel does not support vfat. Load a driver for it! (hint: it's
called "vfat").

Petre

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:29:38 GMT

arman96 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am getting a error message now when I am tring to mount the floppy drive
> using the command "mount  /dev/fd0 -t  vfat  /floppy"  and I get an ERROR
> MESSAGE saying - mount point floppy does not exist. But when I look in the
> KDE disk navigator /root/mnt/  I see cd-rom and floppy there ???? What gives
> with that?

What gives with your reading and writing skills? /floppy is not the
same as /root/mnt/floppy. Not by 9 characters or thereabouts.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:29:42 GMT

arman96 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK mounted the drive OK now, But having trouble copying to the
> /lib/module/net . I am typing mcopy command

Well that won't work if the drive is mounted, will it! Try "cp".

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:42:30 +0100

> > My computer currently has 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.
> > The first 2 are used by Win2K.  The 3rd is used by Linux.  I would like
> > create a 4th partition by getting some space from the extended Linux
> > partition. How can I do this without destroying any of my data ?
>
> & what would this primary partition do that another logical p. within the
> extended p. not be able to do? [even destroying data you can't create a
> 4th primary & still have an extended]

Sure you can.
And some OS's require a primary partition to install into.

To the OP, it's not difficult, but somewhat dangerous.
You can delete the last logical partition, then delete the extended
partition
and recreate that extended, to incorporate only the remaining logicals.

I will not advise this to you though, as it is dangerous. A typo and all
logicals will be inaccesible. The safest bet is partitionmagic, but as
someone else already pointed out, it's not free.
Perhaps you can try GNU's parted, which is free. Not sure if it can
handle this though.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Mike Boiko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best Centralized Performance Monitor - Solaris/Linux/AIX/UX/NT-2000..???
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:47:05 -0500

Many times I've seen the need to monitor the performance (ie. CPU,
memory, disk, etc..) of multiple servers...running different OS's...

I need advice as to what Performance Monitoring tools are available which
allow you to monitor performance from a single central location across
servers running Solaris/NT-2000/Linux/IBM-AUX/HP-UX. The monitoring
does not have to take place across the Internet, it could be across the
local LAN as well. NT-2000 has such a tool in PerfMon, in that it allows
one to monitor various performance metrics from multiple servers on
single screen...in one central location. But, this only works for the
Microsoft
based OS NT and 2000...I would like to find monitoring tools that work
with the OS's I've listed above.

I did find PAWZ from Compaq (http://www.pawz.ws/about.htm) but are
there any others? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

-mike-

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  - Thanks...

--
PLEASE REPLY BACK TO ME AT:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  - Thanks...

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: problems with netscape 4.75 and 4.76
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:08:21 -0500

An annoying problem has surfaced with netscape 4.75 and 4.76 which I am
running on redhat 7.0. When I start a new message and then open the
address book, Netscape crashes when I click on the entry to whom I am
addressing the email.
    I have tried reinstallilng the software, but this does no good, even
after removing the .netscape directory, in addition to using rpm to
remove the installation.
    Has anyone seen this behavior and know of a workaround? I could use
netscape 6.0, which I tried as an experiment. This worked fine but it
seems so slow in comparison to 4.75(6).
Thanks,
Dick Fell