Linux-Misc Digest #406, Volume #27               Tue, 20 Mar 01 21:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Use "printtool" for Gnome (Michael Lee Yohe)
  Re: HP Laserjet 2100 ("James E. Bradley")
  Re: printing (Jorge Teixeira)
  Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ? (fred smith)
  cdrecord 1.8a29 and Yamaha CRW6416S (AJL)
  Re: printing (Steve)
  Re: change shell (Steve)
  Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ? ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: xinetd (telnet) problems with RHL7 (Roger Atkinson)
  Re: Changing SSL Cert. on Apache? (Neal Rhodes)
  Is there a idleout facility? (Neal Rhodes)
  Re: change shell ("Peter T. Breuer")
  terminal behavior after "man", "less", etc. ("Robert Watkins")
  Re: bash environment ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: RAID under kernel 2.2.18: mkraid aborted ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Is there a idleout facility? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: howto, manpages don't help with cfdisk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  slackware ("Richard Suggs")
  Re: Newsreader in Linux ? (Pjtg0707)
  Problem with the X ("Chakravarthy K Sannedhi")
  Get paid to be online... no surfing! (R. Somebody)
  Re: change shell (Tommy Tang)

From: Michael Lee Yohe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Use "printtool" for Gnome
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:07:39 -0600

Michael Roy Fox wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to set up a printer in linux?  I have Linux 2.4.2 and a
>DeskJet 842c.  I have set up parallel and serial port as modules.  If someone could
>give me step by step instructions, that would be very helpful.

The step-by-step instructions are pretty simple.

1)  Click "NEW" on the toolbar.
2)  Give the printer a name (i.e. "myprinter")
3)  Select the printer from the list on the left hand side.
4)  Then click "OK".

--

Michael Lee Yohe ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Software Developer, Engineering Services

------------------------------

From: "James E. Bradley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 2100
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:58:50 -0600

Martin Greco wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wonder if someone knows some specific drivers for the HP laserjet 2100
> pritner.
> I'm using it fith the laserjet 4/5/6 series filter (the printtool one) and
> works, but not in highest quality!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Martin

Invest in the 4Mb Postscript memory. Then you can use the postscript
drivers. I haven't regretted making that purchase for my 2100.

------------------------------

From: Jorge Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:30:15 +0000

Hello Michael,

If your distribution has the printtool, use it. Run it has root. It is
self-explanatory I think.
Name your printer lp because it is the usual assumption by many
programs.
One of the deskjet entrys should do the job, try the one marked
550c/560c/6xxc.
If it is not the one try other deskjets.

Regards,

Jorge

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:12:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: anyone knows ?

What's the rush? 7.1 isn't out yet....

And to answer you question, if anyone knows it is only the folks
at Red Hat, and they aren't telling.

: thanks for your inputs

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,

------------------------------

From: AJL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord 1.8a29 and Yamaha CRW6416S
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:45:23 GMT

Hi folks,

I am running Slackware 7 (2.2.13) and cannot figure out the problem
here...  BTW, the only account on the system is root.

<start>
yggdrasil:~# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jrg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
<end>

Ok, so i read the CD-writing howto, run his setup scripts (i know the
/dev/ entries are there, as well as the proper modules, but what the
heck...) still nothing.  I /think/ this version of cdrecord is compatable
with this drive.  If you are positive that it is not, please let me
know...

<start dmesg clip>
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 11/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 406 instructions downloaded
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
NCR53c406a: no available ports found
sym53c416.c: Version 1.0.0
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.20/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST12400N SUN2.1G  Rev: 8720
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
(scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW6416S          Rev: 1.0c
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/16x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 4194685 [2048 MB] [2.0
GB]
<end dmesg clip>

<start>
yggdrasil:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ide-scsi                6924   0
sr_mod                 16380   0  (unused)
iBCS                  135456   0
sg                     14872   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               58280   3  [ide-scsi sr_mod sg]
natsemi                 9248   1
pci-scan                2632   0  [natsemi]
es1370                 22364   1
soundcore               2116   4  [es1370]
lp                      5660   0  (unused)
parport_pc              5588   1
parport                 6724   1  [lp parport_pc]
<end>

Note: the ide-scsi is not necessary and never loaded until I ran the
aformentioned scripts, e.g., ide-scsi doesn't load at boot, and I know it
isn't needed.

This next part is what really confuses me, is this normal?

<start>
yggdrasil:~# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none
<end>

Any ideas?  I'll try to check back, but please drop me an email at
ajlutzow at netscape.net as well as the group.

Thanks,

Andy

 I thought pico was the
default UNIX editor!?

root at yggdrasil.27south.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Date: 20 Mar 2001 23:47:24 GMT

On 20 Mar 2001 09:54:23 -0500, Michael Roy Fox wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell me how to set up a printer in linux?  I have Linux 2.4.2 and a
>DeskJet 842c.  I have set up parallel and serial port as modules.  If someone could
>give me step by step instructions, that would be very helpful.

Which Linux distro? 2.4.2 is the kernel version number.
Some distros come with a tool to set up printers such as
RedHat's printtool.

Also check the HOWTOs on my distro in /usr/doc/HOWTO/.
There's Printing-HOWTO and Printing-Usage-HOWTO.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 10:35pm  up 47 days, 17 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.15, 1.04, 1.01

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: change shell
Date: 20 Mar 2001 23:47:25 GMT

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:37:36 +0800, Tommy Tang wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I try to change the login shell using chsh. after entering the passwd,
>it says out:
>setpwnam: file exists
>Shell *NOT* changed. Try again later
>
>I have searched,but can't fine the file "setpwnam". What that problem
>actually is? How can I solve that?

Is the shell that you want listed in /etc/shells?

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:00:58 -0700

> As I know, RH doesn't talk about release dates. They release when *THEY*
> think it is ready.

  Which is, sometimes, vastly different than when it *IS* ready. : )

steve

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:07:04 -0800
From: Roger Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: xinetd (telnet) problems with RHL7

Hi Clint,

What I usually do is use the Custom install and select as many packages
that you *might* want to play around with, while your getting familiar
with things. At this point I'm not sure if your running a desktop or not
so I'll try to go both ways.

On the Desktop (logged in as root) start GnoRPM from the System menu.
Once started load you install CD and wait for it too mount. Once it's
mounted you can either browse the File Manager or continue with the
Install button on GnoRPM. This will open another window and it will
start to read your CD listing all the packages you do not have
installed.  Select the ones you want and either use the upgrade button
(install or upgrade if it exists) or the Install button (install it even
if it already exists) and you should be ready to go.

However, you might find it quicker to just go back and upgrade your
existing system by starting another install. The choice is yours. Choose
Upgrade and then select additional packages from the list.

At the Shell prompt use the man pages to study up on "rpm" and use it
too install the packages you need from /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS. This will
do the same thing as the GnoRPM if you use the "rpm -Uvh" (Upgrade).

BTW You will also find that the rules will change again in Wolverine and
beyond. Under RH7.0 if you install all the packages, you will find FTP,
Telnet, etc. enabled under xinetd by default. Not so in Wolverine. You
must manually edit the /etc/xinetd.d files to "disable=no" if you wish
to use them.

I'm happy with both versions and hope you work your way through it as
well.

Cheers,  Roger A.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:15:32 -0500
From: Neal Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing SSL Cert. on Apache?

Many thanks.   That was close enough.  I didn't have that command, but
it provided important clues.  This is what worked:

cd /usr/local/ssl/bin
./openssl genrsa -des3 -rand /dev/urandom 1024 > /tmp/neal.key
./openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -key /tmp/neal.key  > /tmp/neal.crt
cp /tmp/neal.key neal.key.org
./openssl rsa -in /tmp/neal.key.org -out /tmp/neal.key

of course I should have put those keys elsewhere - i removed them quick.

Robert Heller wrote:

>   Neal Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:26:23 -0500, wrote :
>
> NR> I inherit an apache installation, with following revs:
> NR>
> NR> apache_1.3.12  fm  mod_ssl-2.6.2-1.3.12  openssl-0.9.5  rsaref-2.0
> NR>
> NR> The NAME in the certificate is wrong.  We don't need nor want an
> NR> external CA, self CA is fine.
> NR>
> NR> I've read the docs but I just don't see how to do the simple case
> NR> of changing a self certificate to say
> NR>     Art's Bait Shack
> NR>     Back Bay
>
> You just need to create a new key:
>
> /usr/sbin/ssleay genrsa -des3 -rand /dev/urandom 1024 > httpsd.key
>
> And fill in the new info.
>
> Then generate a new 'test' cert:
>
> /usr/sbin/ssleay req -new -x509 -days 365 -key httpsd.key > httpsd.crt
>
> Again fill in the new info.
>
> (This one is good for a year.)
>
> Basicly, you cannot 'change' a certificate, you need to make a new one.
> And I believe that the name, etc. is embeded in both the key and the
> certificate (but I am not sure).  It is easy enough to generate a new
> set.  At least this is my understanding from Red Hat Secure Web Server
> 2.0, which is Apache with a mod_ssl, much like you have.
>
> Make sure you do this in the directory where mod_ssl/openssl expects to
> find httpsd.key and httpsd.crt.  Then you need to restart httpsd
> ('/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpsd restart' on a typical SysV type system, such
> as RedHat Linux).  Be sure to check your error log(s) to make sure
> things started up ok.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)-
972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:
978-4741
                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                          http://www.mnopltd.com/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:45:48 -0500
From: Neal Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is there a idleout facility?

It seems some misguided individual has turned on a facility to
terminate ssh sessions after 10 minutes of no activity on a RH6.2
system.  Any idea if such a capability exists and if so how to
turn if back off?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:49:41 GMT

Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:37:36 +0800, Tommy Tang wrote:
>>Dear all,
>>
>>I try to change the login shell using chsh. after entering the passwd,
>>it says out:
>>setpwnam: file exists
>>Shell *NOT* changed. Try again later
>>
>>I have searched,but can't fine the file "setpwnam". What that problem

It should be either a function in, or a file in, the directory reserved
for yppasswd helper files. It's probably complaining that you have a
passwd.bak file. Debug the script.

From: "Robert Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: terminal behavior after "man", "less", etc.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:51:59 GMT

After upgrading to Mandrake 7.2 (from 7.0) I am noticing different
behavior on the terminal that I cannot explain and would like to know how
to control.

Previously, after a "man", "less" or similar command, the information
output by these commands would disappear and I would be left with the
terminal window drawn almost exactly as it was before I invoked the
command, save of course for the command itself and a new promt. Now, the
output remains on the terminal.

The odd thing is that this is the case with xterm and gnome-terminal, but
not with konsole: konsole behaves the way all the terminals used to
before I upgraded.

How can I control this behavior, regardless of the terminal I am using?

-- Robert

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash environment
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:46:45 +0100

Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Harlan Grove wrote:

>> Did you check if your own ~/.bash_profile contains a line that changes
>> KDEDIRS back to /opt/kde? If so, that would override anything set in
>> /etc/profile.
>>

> Nothing there.  It and .profile basically point to another file in which I
> in desperation put the bla=bla export bla thing.

There is no magic. It is there. Look again.  You are probably not
noticing the includes of the contents of directories. Run with set -x
to debug.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RAID under kernel 2.2.18: mkraid aborted
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:55:14 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on the solutions to problem #2?

Can you please quote whatever it is you are talking about? Relevant
portions only, please.

> What is devfs-isation?

If you don't know, then that may well be your problem. Go find out.
Look in the kernel sources Configure.help.

[reformatting the next to 72chars per line!]

> My raidtab is good, and I am using raidtools 0.9; isnt' that the

That's what you say. But if you were able to recognize your problem,
you'd have done so, no?  So I suggest you back up your assertion with
some proof.

> most current version?  My kernel (d/l 2.2.18 from kernel.org)
> already has raid support in it).

Ditto. Prove it.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a idleout facility?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 02:01:03 +0100

Neal Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems some misguided individual has turned on a facility to
> terminate ssh sessions after 10 minutes of no activity on a RH6.2
> system.  Any idea if such a capability exists and if so how to
> turn if back off?

login.defs should contain a generic timeout. I can't think of one
applicable only to ssh sessions.

You might also be running a reaper program.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: howto, manpages don't help with cfdisk
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:57:40 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>> >  Does cfdisk not need to make an extended partition into which to put
>> > the logical partitions? How does it do this?
>> Why bother thinking about it? Use fdisk.

> I tried it with cfdisk (b/c that's what debian offers you by default -

Does it? Ah well .. though I run a few hundred debian machines, I've
never installed debian; at least not the way one is intended to.
I had no idea.

> what a shame) and did not succeed. Always switch consoles and use fdisk
> when installing debian.

Or redhat.

From: "Richard Suggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slackware
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:00:38 GMT

i need a site where i can download Slackware 7.1
all the sites in the states are to slow

richard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pjtg0707)
Subject: Re: Newsreader in Linux ?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:19:19 -0000

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:42:09 +0100, Alex Fitterling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>...of course there're many news reader for Linux, I'm just using also
>one... (it's TIN) but...
>
>is there any, which can keep track of threads, especially then if one
>of my posting is included in those thread ? And - if -, can these
>threads be displayed separately ?
>
>Or, how to recreate threads and list related articles out of spool
>data, so that e.g. I can do it myself ?
>
>TIA,
>Alex

have you check out slrn? It comes with Linux and it handles thread
recreation just fine.

------------------------------

From: "Chakravarthy K Sannedhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with the X
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:26:09 -0600

I had a probelm with the X. Whenever I move my cursor within the window(say
notepad or emulator) everthing is fine. But whenever I move the cursor from
one window to another window or out of any window the X is getting messy in
the sense these windows(emulator or notepad) is getting disappeared. So I
have to goto Taskbar and have to click on the correspoding Small Pager (in
which I was actually working) within the Large Pager on the 'Desktop Pager'.
How can I solve this problem.

TIA
Chakravarthy K Sannedhi
Research Assistant, CTER, UAB
Birimingham, AL-35205
Ph: (205) 821-6805 (M)
http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~kalyan

------------------------------

From: R. Somebody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Get paid to be online... no surfing!
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:42:50 GMT

Get paid to be online... no surfing!

Top service of its kind.  No commitments.  No hassles.  No mandatory
purchases.  No mandatory "offers" to take part in.

http://www.desktopdollars.com/default.asp?id=dwodefey

Desktopdollars

From: Tommy Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:50:58 +0800

Steve wrote:

> Is the shell that you want listed in /etc/shells?

Yes, it is.
--
Best Wishes,
Tommy