From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: Which distro for 2.4.x ?
Date: 18 Apr 2001 17:58:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[ "Incompatible" as in "GCC 2.96 produces binaries that don't
[ interoperate with those produced by 2.95 or by future releases."

[ As in, you may find that if you try to run programs compiled using
[ other versions of GCC, on a system where binaries and libraries were
[ compiled using 2.96, that you get a lot of errors resembling:

[   "Not a binary executable"
[    or
[   "Can't execute"

I appreciate the response. Thanks very much for the info
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Christian Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [off-topic] Vim 6.0 in Redhat 7.1, comments?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:11:58 +0200

Christian Rose wrote:
> To you and everyone else reading this thread, if you have Red Hat
> questions, use on-topic forums :-)

Ouch, I replied to the post in comp.editors, and didn't notice it was
cross-posted. This is clearly a more on-topic newsgroup than
comp.editors :-)
Sorry.

Christian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc Mims)
Subject: Re: 4 pages per sheet, double sided
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:12:10 GMT

* Andrea Furin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>How could I print 4 pages per A4 - sheet (position: landscape) in such a way
>that the 2th page is opposite to the 1th and the 4th to the 3th?
>Something like that:
>front:  1th (left)  4th (right)
>behind:  3th (left)  2th (right)

I use enscript to do this.  I believe,

    enscript -U 2 -DDuplex:true

does exactly what you want.  I'm not sure about the page
ordering, but I'll bet there are options to tailor it to your
liking.

    man enscript

        -Marc

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:14:49 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Brent R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> > > Why let the facts get in the way of a good dis, right?  Your lack of
> > > knowledge on the issue doesn't seem to prevent you from jumping to
> > > conclusions.
> > >
> > > The facts in the matter are a) that it wasn't a battleship, and b) that
> they
> > > were running a beta version of the control software which did not
> validate
> > > entry fields.  As such, when an operator entered a 0 into a field, it
> was
> > > stored in the database, causing all subsystems that depended on that
> > > information to fail with a divide by zero exception.
> > >
> > > The application could not be restarted because every time they restarted
> it,
> > > it would re-read the data values and crash again, thus the ship was dead
> in
> > > the water.  Further, the ship wasn't towed in, the ship had alternate
> > > propulsion mechanisms onboard because it was an experimental project
> running
> > > beta software.
> > >
> > > The Navy and the canadian company that wrote the software stated that
> the
> > > problem was not related to NT in any way.  In fact, the canadian
> contractor
> > > laid the blame on the Navy for not installing their validated version
> before
> > > the incident, which would have prevented the problem from ever occuring.
> > >
> > > The navy, however, believed that they should shake out the vessel and
> see
> > > where the potential failures might be so that in real emergency
> situations,
> > > they would know how to respond.
> >
> > Still, I think their point was that a single application brought the
> > entire show down... a situation that's critical when it really matters
> > (which admittedly it usually doesn't).
>
> It brought the whole show down because the application was central to the
> entire system.  When the application won't run, neither does the system.
> That has nothing to do with the OS.
>
> > I've been an MS defender in here... still I would never use NT to do
> > something like that... that's just not what it's made for. UNIX is more
> > apptly suited in that role.
>
> Unix is neither more or less aptly suited.  Please explain how the same
> design would somehow make the application work in Unix.

Well your partially right... a badly designed system running on UNIX
would work just as bad... but a well-administered UNIX system is less
probable to be brought down by a process then NT. NT is good for lot's
of things... but nothing industrial-strength.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Colin Pinkney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.1 and StarOffice
Date: 18 Apr 2001 18:19:50 GMT

Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2001 16:47:16 GMT in article
> <9bhs2k$5cl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Colin Pinkney
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of any StarOffice mailing lists or whatever that I may
>> be able to contact about this?

> Sun's own (public-facing) news server carries them: starnews.sun.com

Aha, thanks!

It seems there are other people with the same problem:

Someone wrote on staroffice.com.support.misc:
> In Linux 2.4.x the handling of fat partitions
> is changed (truncate is no more allowed),
> and StarOffice 5.2, using truncate(), cannot
> any more save to vfat partitions....

Though someone else said they've saved to a FAT partion with StarOffice
under 2.4.x. Is it possible to use the 2.2.x FAT modules with 2.4.x?

--
Colin Pinkney
======== 3rd Year Warwick University Computer Science Undergraduate =========

------------------------------

From: Christian Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: vim in Red Hat 7.1
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:22:24 +0200

Robert Lynch wrote:
> Sorry, don't know about lilo problems, but I saw the title yet am
> unable to recover the previous postings.  So someone might have
> made the observation below.
>
> FWIW, I installed RH 7.1, like it a lot, but Vim 6 is screwy.
> Last night I tried to use "visual" edit mode, it didn't work.
> Looked around a bit for a solution, got no joy, reverted to Vim
> 5.7-8 to get back m'visual mode.

Could be a bug, for sure. I think you should report it at
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla

> P.S. 7.1 Anaconda (installer) seems to bomb a lot.

If you have specifics, report them to the Red Hat bugzilla. The Red Hat
7.1 installer worked fine for me. It requires that you have enough swap
already though, or room on your hard drive for an additional swap file
that will be created by the installer (Hint: Don't click "I do not want
to create a swap file" if you're presented with that choice, they're not
kidding, the 2.4 kernel needs plenty of swap). I learned that the hard
way :-)

> Fer shure it can't handle reiserfs, but OK, this is new for 2.4 kernels and
> Linux.

No jfs alternatives for Linux are 100% reliable yet...

> KDE 2 is really sweet-looking.

Im looking forward to Ximian's GNOME 1.4 relase for RH 7.1 myself =)

Christian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:34:32 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet/ftp

Sudhakar R. wrote:

> both 'telnet localhost' and 'telnet localhost 21' work fine. when i try
> telnet from another machine on the network i get the following..
>
> mulga@~ [12:05pm] $ telnet matrixuc.homeip.net
> Trying 129.137.205.235...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
> mulga@~ [12:09pm] $

in your /etc/hosts file put the name and ip of the PCs that u are
connecting from.  This is what mine looks like:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.10.1    bigblue.computers               bigblue
192.168.10.3    pinky.computers                 pinky

Until u can get it working put ALL:ALL in your /etc/hosts.allow but if
that works immediately take it out since u don't want that much freedom
to unknown users. If it works u know its a problem with hosts.allow.

save the files and try telnetting again from a remote host.
Also look in /var/log/messages for anymore clues.

alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Booting Linux on a robot
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre Kostur)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:31:10 GMT

Jasmin Letendre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm currently developping a six legged robots. The robot has an on-board
>conmputer and we want it to boot from a flash disk. We use Linux
>Mandrake. After long hour of trial and error, we managed to boot from
>the flash disk and have the prompt for a logging name.
>
>The problem is that any user name we enter (even root!) gives a "login
>invalid" without even asking for a password. And if we press
>Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it says "You don't exist. Go away!"
>
>Does anybody has an idea about this problem?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jasmin

You may be interested in looking at the Linux From Scratch project
(www.linuxfromscratch.org).  Offhand it looks like login can't figure out
who you are.  Which means either your /etc/passwd file is missing, or login
can't find it (your /etc/nsswitch.conf is missing or corrupted).  Or things
are a little more complex if you're using pam (it's configuration files may
be missing or corrupted).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:38:45 GMT

In article <9bkcra$5u0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Philip Armstrong wrote:

>>How much does a 390 cost?
>
>How long is a piece of string ?
>
>:)

You've also got to remember we're talking about an equivalent
number of PC's running with 99.99% (or some such number)
uptime.  By the time you add hot-swappable disk arrays,
redundant, hot-swappable power-supplies, hot-swappable ECC
memory, etc. a Wintel PC isn't all that cheap. Neither is the
24/7 support contract for when the automatic fail-over doesn't
work or the triple-point failure that "can't" happen does
happen. According to folklore, you can pretty much replace an
entire 390 one piece at a time without ever rebooting -- I
imagine that's a bit exagerated.

But, since the OP was talking about something to use in place
of two run-of-the-mill desktop machines, I'm pretty sure that a
390 isn't a financially viable solutions.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  QUIET!! I'm being
                                  at               CREATIVE!! Is it GREAT

------------------------------

From: "Dreamspinner3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Am I ****? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:44:14 -0500

What I find objectionable is that someone had to whine about the fact that a
child might see the particular word posted here.  I feel, along with other
posters in this thread if you have read it through, feel that parents should
be WATCHING their kids and censoring what they do on the Internet, rather
than expecting everyone else to do it for them.  Usenet is a wide-open field
and one should expect to see all kinds of stuff on it, including people who
like to use bad words.  Thus parents should be supervising their kids
Internet activity and not expect everyone else in the world to censor
themselves just become they might offend their precious child.  Parents
should be responsible for their children!  That is that!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Shin MICHIMUKO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: PS2 linux signature collecting campaign, again.
Date: 18 Apr 2001 18:40:20 GMT

Hi all,

  Thank you to join us. Over 5,800 people of you have already sign up
on our site:
        http://www.fakeroot.net/ps2linux/       English site.
        http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/pslinux/       Japanese site.

  I haven't connected NetNews server for 2 years, but I posted the
previous article 2 weeks ago, and recognized that NetNews is still a
good media for Linux communities. Because the number of the signature
on English site increased after I posted. It was most effective for
this act. So I report the current status of this campaign.

  This is the campaign to ask SCE Inc. to release their port of Linux
on PlayStation2. Yes, they already ported Linux on PlayStation2,
according to some sources.

  Last 2 weeks, English site gathered over 100 signatures. Thank you
very much. Total number of the signatures of English and Japanese site
is now over 5,800, and that is almost 500 signatures increased since
previous time.  A new fact came out last week. We reported a rumor
that an article existed previously on which SCE sais Linux is running
on PlayStation2. This rumour became the fact now. I have the magazine
called Tech Linux made be ASCII, sold in Japan. The article sais that
SCE will release their port of Linux after they completed their
porting Linux to PS2.

  We are planning to gather 10,000 signatures as soon as possible, but
the pace of the collecting speed at English site is not so good. If
you have any question, please mail me. I can explain the transition
and the short history of this campaign. I am busy to read all of
article in comp.os.linux everyday, though.

  As you know, PlayStation2 is MIPS processor based machine, and the
total sales of it is now reaching to 10 million all over the world. It
has DVD (MPEG2) decoder in it, and has USB and IEEE 1394 (iLink)
ports. Especially, it has the great 3D engine called Graphic
Synthesizer. It can handle full rate (30 or more frames per second) of
3D images. It is very common hardware in our home, and not so many
variation like PCs. That mean you don't have to test various hardware
environment when you write a program or game software.

  According to the CEO of SCE, as we wrote on the site, they want to
know how many users of it want to use Linux on it. Hey guys, now we
should demonstrate our "emotion" of how we love Linux.

  Again, if you have any question, please visit the web page or just
mail me. I want to see Linux running on PlayStation2 as soon as
possible. We don't want to be treated as spammer, so we saved the
number of articles to report about this act, but we are serious and I
am responsible if you mail me. Please sign up on the site.

  Thank you.

== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... ======
  Shin MICHIMUKO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/
=========================================== Freedom is everything. ====

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.77  *after*  Netscape 6.01 ?!
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:46:02 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:52:38 GMT, Arctic Storm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is 6.0x a descendant of 4.7x, or is 6.0x a divergent of 4.7x line?

6.x is based on Mozilla <http://www.mozilla.org/>, and is an entirely
different codebase from the 4.7x series.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:49:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:28:40 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>I see the same thing. But NT is not often used where it could, due
>either a crash or lack of timeliness, do any damage to the work process.
>I have seem it tried several times. One crash shut down a process line
>permitting liquid nylon to harden in pipes and valves. 15 minutes off
>line cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another caused
>disruption of a refinery operation. It took several days to get the
>plant cleaned up and back on line.

Dumb question, but .... whatever happened to the concept of redundancy?
I'll admit it adds to expense (specifically, equipment and software
licensing costs), but as far as I can tell, many web server farms using
NT have just that: web server farms, with multiple machines; this makes
the reliability quite adequate -- maybe even 99.999 % (5 minutes/year)... :-)

Granted, this is a far cry from industrial control processes.
(How long does it take for nylon to harden in a tube line, just out
of curiosity?  Are we talking hours, minutes, or seconds?)

(ObLinuxPlug: Linux would work very well here :-) )

>I build SCADA system also. Several US cities are running systems I
>designed. But if the operator displays fail, the A-B PLCs and
>specialized computers will still run everything OK. The operator, just
>has to run around to check local controls like he did before the
>computers were installed.

Can't comment unless SCADA systems are things like those used in
metropolitan traffic projects with gigantic status screens showing
where every traffic light, streetcar, or train is.

[rest snipped]

                    We are all naked underneath our clothes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:55:26 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:33:15 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Greg Cox wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> > I thought that a few years ago, the U.S.Navy tried a computer
>> > controlled battleship, and the computers ran Windows NT (probably 3.51
>> > in those days), and it crashed so bad the ship had to be towed into
>> > port. (I may not have the facts exactly correct, but it was pretty
>> > much like this.) Maybe the computers were not exactly your
>> > bargain-basement PCs, but the software must have been. If the U.S.Navy
>> > is dumb enough to use Microsoftware in a battle-critical system, why
>> > would not some private industry be just as dumb?
>> >

>> The version of the story I heard was that the first ship of a new class
>> of Navy ship was out testing a new ship's control system programmed
>> using a custom database running on NT4 and the DB software crashed, not
>> NT.  I believe the story goes that the captain said in his report that
>> the DB software crashed a couple of times and was successfully restarted
>> but the ship was towed in on the third crash with the system left in its
>> crashed state for later analysis by the developers...
>>
>> --
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Essentially the version that was posted here. The DB crash, iirc, was
>due to the cook entering too many items in a dinner menu. This crashed
>the DB, the DB took down NT. It got restarted without anyone knowing why
>it crashed, the cook did it again. When it crashed, it took out
>propulsion. On the third try, the Captain decided to call for a tow
>until the problem could be solved.
>
>One joke was that it should be intuitive that entering 4 entrees in the
>dinner menu will shutdown the ships propulsion. The Navy fixed the
>problem by making a new regulation prohibiting more than 3 entrees at a
>meal.

Oh man...what a way to solve a problem!

I hadn't been aware that it was the cook putting in too many entrees
that was causing the database to crash.  Reminds me of the old song
(poem?) about the lack of a horse's shoenail causing loss of a battle...

OTOH, a database crashes when it will -- one hopes very infrequently,
but how does one specify that a DB will crash when, say, a scratch page
fills up and gets flushed out to a disk that's already full?
One also hopes that next time the Navy designs a slightly more robust
system that won't go down every time the DB server decides to powder
its nose.

(One would also think that the propulsion DB system and the cook's
DB system were on different systems.  Like the cooks' DB system is
ultra-critical to ship's operation -- he could write things down on
index cards or paper notebooks if he had to.  Note quite as convenient
of course, but certainly not life-threatening.)

[.sigsnip]

                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

------------------------------

From: Alex Rayshubskiy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems cross-mounting NFS filesystems
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:57:57 -0400

Hey,

        I'm having problems nfs cross mounting filesystems. For instance
I have a machine X that I need to nfs mount on Y and I have machine Z
that
nfs mounts Y. I want Z to be able to see X. Because of the Beowulf set
up
machine X doesnt not have a direct access to Z and Z has no direct
access to
X.

X = hertz
Y = jupiter (for the outside world), io (within the cluster)
Z = europa

        The exports man page says that in order to be able to achive the above,
one can provide a nohide option in the exports file. However when I
provide such an option and then try to run exportfs -r (or a) I get the
following error message:

[root@hertz ar77]# /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
exportfs: Unknown keyword "crossmnt" in export file

This error seems strange because the "crossmnt" keyword doesnt even
exist in /etc/exports

This is the /etc/exports file for hertz:

[root@hertz ar77]# cat /etc/exports
/home/ar77 jupiter(rw,nohide,no_root_squash)

When I try changing the exports file in the same manner and running
exportfs -r on io(Y) i get the same "crossmnt" error.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Rayshubskiy
MacCHESS Lab,

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Am I fucked? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:59:42 +0800

Hi.

I work for HP.  HP is attempting to suppor all devices under windows 2000 in
anticipation of Window XP (since it will be both a consumer OS as well as a
Business OS).

Plug in your camera to the USB port.  If Windows 2000 doesn't instantly
recogonize it, try rescanning the USB ports under the hardware device
manager.

I find that this always works for me.

You won't have any luck under Linux... camera and scanner support is non
intuitive AT BEST under Linux.

I don't speak for HP since it has a zillion employees, but I know enough to
know that Linux is viewed at most as a server OS.  (which implies no support
for consumer oriented peripherals)

-Todd

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Warp 4 to Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:00:20 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Dale Winters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Howdy gang;
>     I've decided to give Linux a try. Im now using os/2 Warp 4 FP 12 and
> know nothing of linux. Is/are there any versions of Linux that would be
> easier for me to learn coming from os/2 ??? TIA, Dale

I don't think the fact that you're used to OS/2 would change the
equation much, vs. somebody coming from Windows. You might want to check
my Web page on Linux distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:01:34 -0000

In article <9bkb1n$53u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger) writes:

> keep in mind:
> Presentation Manager = X server
> Workplace shell = a window manager [X client]

Not really. It's more like:

Presentation Manager = X + window manager
Workplace Shell = Desktop environment