From: DMayo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring LILO to DOS as default?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:49:26 +0100

Michael Heiming wrote:

> DMayo wrote:
> >
> > Could some expert tell a newbie which lines to change in the following
> > code in order to make dos boot as default? Thanks in advance. My wife
> > cannae stand Linux and prefers prtty looking WINDOWS to Linux running as
> > default.
> >
> > #lilo.conf contents are:
> > boot=/dev/hda
> > map=/boot/map
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > prompt
> > timeout=50
> > message=/boot/message
> > linear
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
> >     label=linux
> >     read-only
> >     root=/dev/hda6
> >
> > other=/dev/hda1
> >     label=dos
> >
> > #dave, at sunny Scotland!
>
> rtfm (read the fine manual) "man lilo.conf", be sure to check
> the default= option.
>
> Michael Heiming

Many thanks!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael W. Godfrey)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: representative SCSI drivers?
Date: 20 Apr 2001 19:28:28 GMT

Greetings,

I'm an academic researcher and a Linux user since kernel 0.99pl15.

The Linux source codebase (including drivers) makes an excellent guinea pig
for exploring ideas of how software evolves (Linux is big, in wide use, and
open source so I can look at its internals and publish the results).  We've
decided to perform a case study on the evolution of the Linux SCSI drivers
(lotsa drivers largely performing the same tasks).

What I would very much appreciate is any feedback that a knowledgable Linux
"historian" might have on the past, present, and future of SCSI drivers for
Linux (beyond what I can read in the HOWTOs).  For example, I'd like to
find out:
    -- precisely which of the gazillion drivers (and cards) are in widest
        use now and over time (the top ten or so, say),
    -- which drivers are basically legacyware,
    -- how much code cloning (and hacking) of drivers has occurred (we know
        some of this already from having browsed the source, eg several
        drivers were cloned from cyberstorm.[ch], which in turn was cloned
        from esp.[ch]),
    -- which drivers are known to be particularly (un)reliable,
etc.

If anyone out there in Linuxland has decent knowledge of these kinds of
matters and wouldn't mind dropping me an informative missive (on this or
any other topic that seems appropriate), I'd very much appreciate hearing
from you.  (And I'll be happy to acknowledge your help in any resulting
publication.)

Michael Godfrey PhD, Assistant Professor
Univ of Waterloo, Dept of Computer Science
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid login tricks (/etc/issue question)
Date: 20 Apr 2001 17:10:43 -0300

"Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> could you look in your start-up files (don't know what they are for
> Mandrake) and see how they do it?  thankx
>
> * Tong * wrote:

> > If you happen to have a Mandrake box around you, you can have a
> > look/compare how they do it. The Mandrake 7.0 that I'm using use
> > escape sequences draw a colorful penguin (right before prompt the
> > user for login in). :-)

Oops, sorry, I'm still using RH6.2. I should have said "The Mandrake I had
been trying...". sorry, can't help on that...

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  *niX Power Tools Project: http://xpt.sourceforge.net/

------------------------------

From: Christian Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distro for 2.4.x ?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:10:37 +0200

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >> So that you can move binaries between distros, and thus avoid
> >> fractioning the linux world.
>
> > Then we should have only one Linux distribution. I prefer several
> > distributions, I believe it's healthy competition that helps improve
>
> I don't mind also. But then I like writing and compiling my own executables
> and writing and maintaining my own admin scripts. Must end-users don't.

So you *do* compile your own programs after all. Then why should you
move binaries around between distros?

> > Linux. And no point in having several distributions if they are allowed
>
> Point? There is no point. This is a social and commercial phenomenon.

And this social phenomenon wouldn't have existed in the first place if
Linux was only one distribution. I like multiple distributions. Not
because I use all of them (not even close) but because they help improve
Linux and GNU as a whole.

> > And if all Linux distributions should have to contain precisely the same
> > software to guarantee binary compability, when and how should changes
>
> Strawman. They don't have to contain the same software in order to
> guarantee binary compatibility.

Umm, yes. Did you suddenly forget about gcc, libraries, etc.?

> > So no point in getting the Red Hat 7 binary, no? Use the one that best
> > fits with your platform. Can you give one specific example of
> > binary-only software that is only available for Red Hat 7.x? I for sure
>
> Dunno about RH 7, but I'm still running the NeXS spreadheet
> (excel-alike) that I filched from RH 4.1 Professional deluxe in around
> 1996. It's excellent. Much better than staroffice.

I take that as a "no, I didn't find an example of binary-only software
that is only available for Red Hat 7.x"... point proven.

> > Yes. Users do stupid things. They can put a coffee cup in their cdrom
> > drive, too. I for sure don't think that the solution to that is removing
> > cdrom drives.
>
> It has been proposed. "Would you like me to play you a cdrom now, sir"?
> "Which one"? ...
>
> > I think it's a user education problem. If there is a problem with people
>
> Teach 'em all to program and that'll be fine, eh? Heh.

No, teach them to use a computer and how to install software by
following instructions. That's vastly different from asking them to
program.

> > often downloading the wrong version for their distro, maybe the
> > instructions on the download page aren't perfectly clear.
>
> They don't read the download page.  They get puzzled by instructions
> that talk about things they don't understand, and click on everything.

And thus you have too cryptic instructions if you have this problem with
users.

> >> Nonsense. I had kernel 2.4 on my slackware 3.0 ages ago. And so did
> >> slackware (and debian, and suse ..).
>
> > Was kernel 2.4 installed with Slackware 3.0? Does SuSE use it by
>
> Most certainly! I did it.

But Slackware didn't. So what was your point? We were talking about
Linux distributions using kernel 2.4 by default!

> > default? Does Debian stable have it? I don't think so. What was your
> > point?
>
> That all these distros most current versions have the 2.4 kernel in
> (yes, debian "stable" != debian most current). And secondly, as you
> know, it would take five minutes to outfit any distro with it - witness
> my s/w 3.0 plus new modutils and new pppd and new kernel (and new
> binutils for luck).

"Has it in" is vastly different from "uses it by default and is tested
with it".
        * SuSE 7.1 uses kernel 2.2.18 by default.
        * Debian "most current" is not a released distribution, nor a
          tested one.
        * Slackware 3.0 most certainly does not use kernel 2.4; heck,
          my copy of Slackware 7.0 has kernel 2.2.13!

As for "it takes five minutes to outfit any distro with [kernel 2.4]" -
your box must be pretty fast in compiling, and you must be very fast in
verifying thet everything later on works correctly under all
circumstances and hardware configurations...

> >> You know no such thing.
>
> > Thank you for telling me that I don't know. I sure appreciate your
> > expert opinion on that.
>
> It's derived from years of observation of RH, not of you.

So how on earth are you able to tell me what I know and do not know?

> > Maybe you should tell all other beta testers who have tested the two
> > betas that they have been hallucinating...
>
> So, tell me, have they got rid of the bug whereby if you tried to
> unchoose gnome at install, you couldn't, because the installer can't
> forget its existing dependencies? One goes round in circles trying
> again and again to remove something else that pops up as a dependency
> failure. (that was RH 6.1).

Yes. It was fixed long ago. I believe it was fixed in 6.2.

> Or have you tried installing with a 128MB / partition, a 2GB /usr
> partition, and whatever else? I couldn't despite the totals being
> within spec, because the installer can't calculate WHERE the packages put
> their stuff, and thinks it won't fit, when it will. (again 6.1 or
> 6.2, I think).

I have a 128 MB / and 2.6 GB /usr, close to your specs. Yes, it worked
flawlessly with RH 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1 (all of them have been installed
onto this machine).

> And then there's the magificent error I get at every expert install of
> redhat, where one has to step aside and create the /tmp/mnt/dev/*
> oneself, just so that fdisk can access the specials for the device you
> WILL create with it in the future. Clever idea that. Devices on demand
> in /tmp, except it deosn't work.

Never heard of that, and I don't use fdisk in the installer (using
diskdruid in the installer is so much faster), but it would surprise me
if it wasn't fixed. Anyway, I hope you know that you can REPORT BUGS
(http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/). That also has the neat
sideeffect that you will know what happens with them and when they are
fixed.

> So who tested THOSE?

I for sure didn't (my first Red Hat was 5.1 but I only started for real
around 6.2 and 7.0), and neither did you, as you obviously didn't care
in reporting any of this.

> And as to RH 40, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, ... Ithe errors were just as glaring.
> If you're a beta tester, then please test something other than the
> newbie-standard install path. I betcha it doesn't work.

It does work. I know people who have *very* strange configurations, and
yet it works. That's why there are betas of any operating system; so
that people can try it out on strange configurations and with all
possible strange hardware and software.

Anyway, I hardly find this "old Red Hat releases had BUGS (oh the
horror, we all know *no* other Linux distributions has bugs) so Red Hat
must suck now and for all eternity" type of discussion meningful.

Have you actually *tried* Red Hat 7.1? I mean, that would be far more
relevant than complaining about versions released five years ago.

Christian

------------------------------

From: "harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question about Strange Report of Disk Space,thanks.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:05:53 -0700

Hi, there:

/dev/sda1             1.2G  551M  571M  49% /

/dev/sda6             4.7G  4.4G     0 100% /home

/dev/sda7             1.2G  106M 1015M   9% /var

I dont know why available space on /home is 0, it should be 300M left ,
right ?

Any Help will be greatly appreciated

Harrison Teng

------------------------------

From: DMayo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Could anyone tell me how to activate the backspace and delete keys on
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:04:03 +0100

Could anyone tell me how to activate the backspace and delete keys on
 my keyboard?? I am getting v tired of typing ctrl d and ctrl b all the
time...

in both, applications and consoles

Dave.

------------------------------

From: Mike Driggers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help with Printer Configuration
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:12:18 GMT

I am running  Linux 2.2.16 (RH 7.0) and I can't seem to get my printer
to work.  It is a Lexmark Z11.  I downloaded and installed the customer
driver for it, but it still isn't working.  I can't write directly to
the port (i.e.  cat filename > /dev/parport0)  and I can't use LPR.
I think I have the correct configuration in /etc/printcap but when I try
to print I get an error indicating that /dev/parport0 does not exist.
The following is always reported:

Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such device

I have the following related modules installed: lp, parport, parport_pc,
parport_probe.

My printer is correctly identified in /proc/parport/0/autoprobe   and
"lp" is listed in /proc/parport/0/devices.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

When I run /usr/sbin/checkpc -V, I get the following:

LPRng-3.6.22, Kerberos5, Copyright 1988-2000 Patrick Powell,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Checking for configuration files '/etc/lpd.conf'
  found '/etc/lpd.conf', mod 0100644
Checking for printcap files '/etc/printcap'
  found '/etc/printcap', mod 0100644
Checking for lpd only printcap files '/etc/lpd_printcap'
 DaemonUID 4, DaemonGID 7
Using Config file '/etc/lpd.conf'
LPD lockfile '/var/run/lpd.printer'
 Checking directory: '/var/run'
   directory '/var'
   directory '/var/run'

Names
 :lp=lp

All
 :lp
 :lp

Printcap Information
lp
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter
 :lp=/dev/parport0
 :mx#0
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :sh
lp
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter
 :lp=/dev/parport0
 :mx#0
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :sh
Checking printcap info
Checking printer 'lp'
 Checking directory: '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
   directory '/var'
   directory '/var/spool'
   directory '/var/spool/lpd'
   directory '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
  checking 'control.lp' file
  checking 'status.lp' file
  checking 'status' file
  cleaning 'status' file, 0K bytes: no truncation
  checking 'log' file
  cleaning 'log' file, 0K bytes: no truncation
  checking 'acct' file
  cleaning 'acct' file, 16K bytes: no truncation
Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such device
  'if' filter '/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter'
    executable '/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter'
Checking printer 'lp'
 Checking directory: '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
   directory '/var'
   directory '/var/spool'
   directory '/var/spool/lpd'
   directory '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
  checking 'control.lp' file
  checking 'status.lp' file
  checking 'status' file
  cleaning 'status' file, 0K bytes: no truncation
  checking 'log' file
  cleaning 'log' file, 0K bytes: no truncation
  checking 'acct' file
  cleaning 'acct' file, 16K bytes: no truncation
Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such device
  'if' filter '/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter'
    executable '/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter'
*** Checking for client info ****

Names
 :lp=lp

All
 :lp

Printcap Information
lp
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter
 :lp=/dev/parport0
 :mx#0
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :sh
Checking printer 'lp'

------------------------------

From: grooveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP and Road Runner blues
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:13:58 GMT

Hmm....

I don't think so...

Are you getting at a hostname for my machine?  I have installed windows 98 and
NT several times with this nic, and never had to put a special host name on
it...

Is there some other reason this would be significant?

Thanks!

Chris

------------------------------

From: Jukka =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=E4=E4nt=E4?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warp 4 to Linux
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:12:14 +0300

Any GNU/Linux with KDE should be quite easy...
I'd recommend following distributions:

RedHat Linux - http://www.redhat.com
SuSE Linux - http://www.suse.com
Mandrake Linux - http://www.linux-mandrake.com

(a lot of information with very surprising urls ;)

- Jukka

------------------------------

From: "peetgrobler0" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /var/log/message display in virtual console
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:50:03 +0200

Try the following:

syslog in "F7"

in the file /etc/syslog.conf
put the line :
*.* /dev/tty7

scroll up : Try SHIFT+PGUP

Regards,
Peet Grobler

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows and Linux
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:30:05 -0000

I wanted to know if there is a way to pick the os you want to use at start
up? I want to try using Linux but i want to keep windows. If there is any
way to do this please email me [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanx

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc De Leenheer)
Subject: Re: Argh, Linux 2.4.0 does not boot!
Date: 20 Apr 2001 21:24:22 GMT

Igor4584 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a linux system with a number of 2.2.* kernels. (in /boot)
: they all work fine. I also added a newly compiled 2.4.0. kernel
: in /vmlinuz.

: When I try to boot it, lilo says "uncompressing kernel............"
: and then it hangs.

: Any help will be appreciated.

: igor

------------------------------

From: Hsuan-Chung Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help with core file generation
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:35:06 -0700

Hi:

While running Redhat Linux 6.2,  I was able to force tail to generate
core by giving it a signal.  However, I was unable to do the same with
vi.  Is there a system level way to force all programs to generate core
files?

Thanks.

H.C. Lee

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:34:23 GMT

ok, I have them showing (*.* in tty9 and a custom set in tty10) but
SHIFT+PGUP doesn't work.  It's just kind of annoying that you can't
scroll up if you want to check a message from 2 hours ago or something.

From: grooveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.linux.redhat,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:35:11 GMT

Thanks W:

I tried that last night, it went for about 9 hours unplugged.... unfortunately
it didn't seem to help   :0(.

Thanks tho...

Chris

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: 20 Apr 2001 15:41:10 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am just so tired of XEmacs. It crashes all the time.

I've been using it for years, and it has never EVER crashed on me.  I
even use the latest beta editions (especially GNUS).

> It does not have drag and drop support.

True, but who cares?  It doesn't have to behave like Windows in order
to be good.  If I want to include a file I just go File->Insert File
(or M-x insert-file).

> Lisp is next to impossible to learn. I have to type basillions
> of stupid keystrokes to get the most trivial tasks accomplished.

:)  No arguement there; but with XEmacs you really don't need to know
even a little bit of lisp (try selecting the Options menu from above).

> My left wrist is hurting from hitting C- and ESC- keys constantly.

My wrist hurts if I have to jump back and forth to the mouse very
often.  (and VIM liberally uses the escape key as well)

> I have recently discovered VIM, a great programmers' editor
> (www.vim.org). All keystrokes are easy and fast, everything works,
> it creates backup files and so on. I am switching.

VIM's great and all, but XEmacs can do so much more.  If you don't
want it to do more, that's understandable.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: staroffice install
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:45:56 +0100

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:52:56 -0400 in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sudhakar R.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did the install with the /net option and then went ahead and tried
> running the setup program as a normal user. i get an error saying
> "Staroffice is already installed and that i need to deinstall it before I
> can run the setup program". doesn't make sense to me.

Makes sense to me. You installed it with single-user options. You now need
to uninstall it and reinstall with network options as Dave said.

--
Garry Knight

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE 2.1 Control Center - no icons
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:49:02 GMT

I finally found the solution - I copied the /usr/share/apps and
/usr/share/apps.kdelnk directories over from the working machine.
Everything is running normal again.

Bill

--

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it