Ok, I've looked into this and I have a problem.

First off tmio-mmc was (with reason, albeit possibly bad ones) picking
a 250 kHz clock for init. I've made a patch to fix that, but it doesnt
solve my card-fails-to-init problem.

I found that this particular card / machine combo just doesnt play
nice initialising at 400kHz (or 250kHz or 512kHz). It wont initialise
at anything over 120kHz in fact.

The same card works  fine in another device with the same (tc6393xb)
host controller.

BUT the fact is we have a regression - this card used to work, and now
it doesnt. The cause is the patch I identified below that puts a
400kHz lower limit on the initialisation frequency.

So, firstly, is there any real advantage to this lower limit?

Secondly, I now have a problem in that if I want it fixed, it required
machine specific knowledge in the MMC core, which I dont like.

I propose a more robust solution - if initialisation fails at 400kHz
try again at f_min (if its lower than 400kHz).

this requires no machine specific knowledge in the core and may
increase robustness generally, as well as fixing my case.

Comments please?