2011/10/24 Johan RUDHOLM <johan.rudh...@stericsson.com>:

>> I think the overlap between your patch and Andrei's
>> mmcblkXbootY/force_ro
>> node is going to be confusing -- one operates purely in the kernel and
>> the other is sent to the card.  Do you have any proposal for making the
>> difference clearer?
>
> I concur, the same can be said about general purpose partitions as well?
> Partitions that are configured in hardware rather than software. The current
> layout in sysfs does not reflect this difference either, below

Well, they're not really partitions, though, but separate logical
devices that can be
configred only once,  but I generally agree with you.

My personal opinion is that since the kernel is not used solely in a
controlled, embedded
environment, effort should be done to reduce the number of physically damaging
actions a curious user could do :-). I don't mean "formatting disk", I
mean "raising Vcc
to the point of smoking device", bricking, exploding, etc. In line
with this thought,
I think it should be more difficult to permanently lock a card - an
ioctl (whether
specific or generic, involving knowing what command to send) I think
is the better solution.

As far as the temporary locking, I'm still not really convinced, but
I'll say I don't have a
strong opinion about it. Certainly, as an implementer, I would do so
in the bootloader
rather than the kernel (why? for Android - because you can fastboot
boot kernels via USB,
or maybe some bootloader somewhere supports booting from SD, so your
security policy
should be enforced as soon as possible, instead of relying on booting
your trusted image).