Hi Will,
   I agree with you that it should not be merged  unless it improves
the performance. But I still feel that there might be some reason for
which the IP Vendor has provided an additional feature. So will this
not be a good feature to have as it will help in IP Validation for
different modes.
  As far as the Kconfig option is concerned, the user need not always
modify it since the default case will still be Chained Mode. Also Such
Kconfig options for selecting mode is already  used for stmmac
Ethernet Drivers.

--
regards,
Shashidhar Hiremath