Hi Mark

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:05:35PM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Some consumers, e.g., the mmc subsystem, can benefit from an ability to
> > check, whether a regulator can switch power on and off.
>
> You're going to have to expand a lot more on why this is a good idea...

I want to use this call in mmc to decide whether or not to set the
MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD mmc capability flag. This flag is used with SDIO
cards to decide whether or not to enable runtime PM for them.

> Bear in mind that the regulator may be shared by other users so even if
> the regulator is flagged as potentially being able to change status that
> doesn't mean that it actually can change status.

Yes, I think, that's ok. We just need to know, that the card can in
principle be powered off. We don't need a guarantee, that we can power it
down at any time, when we think we need it.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.