Hi Ohad

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
> <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Sorry, I mean - you don't know what card will be plugged in, so, you
> > cannot know, whether that specific card and its driver can be safely
> > powered off.
>
> We do know in certain cases, most commonly with wifi SDIO cards which
> are hardwired to the board.

Yes, exactly, in certain cases. And when it's not hard-wired?

> > Ok, I think, it's this: MMC_PM_KEEP_POWER is for system-wide suspend /
> > resume, whereas MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD is for runtime PM. Am I right?
>
> MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD is used by SDIO runtime PM, but I won't
> classify it as "runtime PM" specific. It describes the hardware, and
> not inherently limited to a specific use case.

Ok

> > that case, I think, they also should function similar
>
> Can you explain why ?

Because with pluggable cards one flag is not enough. I think, you need (1)
board capability to switch power, and (2) driver's allowance to power the
card down.

> > - wouldn't it make
> > sense to use MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD similar to MMC_PM_KEEP_POWER - as a
> > static capability flag (meaning, whether the board is physically able to
> > switch power) and a dynamic flag, that, say, an SDIO function driver could
> > set if it knows, that it cannot handle runtime power switching properly?
>
> I'm not sure I'm following the reasoning.
>
> Can you explain what are you trying to solve ? Is there a specific
> problem you have in mind ?

The problem of hot-pluggable cards. One card / driver combination will
support powering down at runtime, another one will not.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.