Hi Subhash,

2012/12/11 Subhash Jadavani <subha...@codeaurora.org>:
> On 12/10/2012 1:51 PM, Johan Rudholm wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> Shouldn't you fix all the existing host drivers who have already
>>> implemented
>>> start_signal_voltage_switch host ops? If you don't change them as part of
>>> this patch then
>>> i afraid UHS functionality would be broken on those platforms. Also, it's
>>> not just changing the start_signal_voltage_switch hot op implementation,
>>> you
>>> may also need to add card_busy() host op implementation for those
>>> drivers.
>>
>> This is true, and I did actually make an RFC for the sdhci driver
>> ("[RFC] mmc: sdhci: Let core handle UHS switch failure":
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1517211/). Daniel Drake tried this
>> code for a problem related to the 1.8V switch (his board could
>> actually not perform the switch to 1.8V even though this capability
>> was announced), and I think this pointed out two areas for further
>> investigation before a proper patch for the sdhci driver can be
>> created:
>>
>> 1) the sdhci driver may not gate the clock when setting ios.clock = 0
>> and calling mmc_set_ios
>> 2) mmc_power_off may not cut power to the card
>>
>> maybe 2) was only for Daniel's board, I'm not sure, but this needs to
>> be investigated further anyway. Since I don't have any sdhci hardware
>> with UHS support, this must either be done by some other kind soul or
>> it will have to wait until I get the hardware.
>>
>> sdhci is the only driver I'm aware of that's got (mainlined) support
>> for start_signal_voltage_switch, are you thinking of any other driver?
>
> You may look at only in tree drivers who have implemented
> start_singnal_voltage_switch() ops. Our msm_sdcc* driver has also
> implemented it but it's not in tree driver so i may
> need to take care of that later once we are synced to kernel version which
> will have your patch series.

Ok, good.

> Yes, SDHCi seeems to be only one in tree driver implemented the
> start_singnal_voltage_switch() ops. So you might be good fixing the same.

It seems the UHS support in the SDHCI driver is a complex issue,
judging from Daniel's experience described above, so I think the best
way forward is to get these patches in and then take care of the SDHCI
driver (perhaps based on my previous RFC), unless any of the SDHCI
guys thinks differently? Naturally, I will be happy to assist in
fixing the SDHCI driver.

Kind regards, Johan