On 22 March 2013 16:27, Kevin Liu <keyuan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/22 Ulf Hansson <ulf.hans...@linaro.org>:

>>> [jerry]
>>> Not all Soc has GPIO to do this. our controller has the pin to detect the
>>> card status, need the external hardware to support it.
>>> But due to some reasons, some boards don't do this work, so need the poll
>>> mode for all boards.

>> A suggestion; the poll time out is 1s today. We could make some more
>> intelligent update to the timeout value so we decrease the number of
>> timeouts to happen. In other words minimize the number of mmc_rescan
>> to be executed.
>>
>> 1. When no card is inserted, use 1 s.
>> 2. When card is inserted, switch to 30 s timeout. The card removal
>> will be detected anyway when a blk err occurs, due to that
>> mmc_detect_card_removed will be called from the block layer at error
>> handling path.
>>

> Ulf,
>
> Sounds good! But I have one concern:
> If the card is removed when there is no i/o access. Then the
> mmc_rescan won't run until 30 seconds later (just imagine the worst
> case). If within 30 seconds, the card is inserted again or another
> different card is inserted, then issue may occur.

True!

Do you think a timeout of say 10 s could be more more acceptable?

> Then I have a suggestion as below:
> 1. keep current code as 1 second in mmc_rescan for polling.
> 2. When an i/o request come, we can cancel current delay work and
> reschedule the delay detect work after 1 second from that point.
> 3. If next i/o request come within 1 second, we can reschedule the
> detect work after 1 second from that point again.

Well, I actually thought of such a solution as well, but I kind of
dropped it because it felt a bit messy. Although, I guess you are
right, that is probably the most proper way of doing it.

Giving it some more thoughts, I guess we should utilize the runtime pm
callbacks for the sd card bus_ops somehow. I pushed a skeleton
patchset for this a while ago. If it gets merged of course.

1.mmc_rescan could check the runtime status, if active, skip the rescan.
2. Or, make the runtime supend callback schedule a rescan work.