On 19/01/15 11:27, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On 15 January 2015 at 15:59, Arend van Spriel <ar...@broadcom.com> wrote:

>>> Runtime PM is implemented a bit differently between SDIO vs MMC/SD.
>>> Your are right.
>>>
>>> For MMC/SD the mmc block device handles pm_runtime_get|put() in
>>> principle per request basis and makes use of the
>>> pm_runtime_autosuspend feature. While in the SDIO case, it's entirely
>>> up the SDIO func driver to deal with pm_runtime_get|put().
>>>
>>> So it seems like we can use runtime PM for MMC/SD but not for SDIO. At
>>> least not using the SDIO func device.

>>> Hmm, the positive side from such approach would be that the SDIO func
>>> driver can decide when it's convenient to do a re-tune.
>>

>> I would say "appropriate" instead of "convenient".
>>
>>> The negative side is that all SDIO func driver would need to care
>>> about this. I am not sure we want that.
>>

>> The whole retry handling also seems deferred to the SDIO func driver and the
>> same for runtime-pm. As the "retune needed" question would pops up during
>> the retry handling it seems not a bad option.
>
> Okay, your argument seems reasonable, let's got for this approach.

A re-tune is needed when there is a CRC error. That should be a low level
decision because it is needed no matter if it is a SDIO function driver or
eMMC block driver. There is a mechanism to hold-off re-tuning if it would
cause a problem. Otherwise re-tuning should be done immediately. Remember we
are already in an error condition, which must be rare to non-existent for
the device to perform reasonably.

The decision of the upper layers is when to retry.

My thought for the block driver was that it would indicate that it was ok to
transparently re-try if re-tuning was needed. Then the core would do the
re-try. A complication is the need to retry just once not get stuck
error->retry->error->retry->...