On 02/04/15 17:00, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> You beat me to it, but that is indeed what I meant.
>>
>> The CMD line needs tuning too, so delaying tuning on every command will
>> cause errors. It is better to hold tuning for the specific command used to
>> wake-up.
>
> Hmm.
>
> This touches the discussion where Neil Brown also was involved, around
> how to handle "idle operations" for SDIO.
>
> How does SDIO func drivers detects "request inactivity", which
> triggers them to send its device to "sleep mode"? That answer should
> be runtime PM.

Using runtime pm for custom sleep states would seem to conflict with its use
by the power domain. For example ACPI will enumerate embedded SDIO function
devices and link them to the ACPI power domain. Then ACPI will choose the
lowest power state for runtime suspend.

It isn't obvious how a driver that doesn't know its power domain should
handle runtime pm, other than assuming it means power off.

> So, from mmc core perspective we should be able to get notifications
> through runtime PM callbacks (from mmc or sdio bus) to understand
> whether we need to hold of re-tune.

That doesn't match the requirement. Re-tuning needs to be held for the
wake-up command, not while asleep.