On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, pesarif wrote:

> Has anyone tried this before:?
>
> 1. Go to a virtual console (CTRL+ALT+F1)
> 2. Run DOSEmu
> 3. Run any program
> 4. Switch back to X (CTRL+ALT+F7)
>
> The program appears to pause in the background.
> While this may be desirable, why does it occur?

This only happens with suid-root dosemu when $_graphics=(1) and/or
$_console=(1). It is there because the DOS program might try to access
video hardware while it's in the background. Even though this access is
blocked, the DOS program would still get confused, expect video ports to
respond where they don't, and might make the console unusable when you
come back.

When the freeze wasn't implemented yet I tried to play pacman on the
console, switch to X, come back, and see that pacman had not eaten the
dots it was supposed to eat ;-)

So if you have a graphical DOS program running on the console trying to
talk to networks in the background, you're out of luck. The solution is to
run a text-based program in a DOSEMU session that is in terminal mode
(i.e. $_graphics=(0) and $_console=(0) and not (suid)root if possible).
The freeze does not apply to this situation.

Bart