On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 01:08, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience getting a ps/2 mouseman functional under
> Dosemu?  Or know where some archives are that I can dig in?  I've tried
> different protocols in dosemu.conf, different baud rates, and no luck.
> I can get a cursor, but all it does is stay in the upper left quadrant
> of the screen and shift around lightning fast.
>
> Suggestions?  Help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LX

I managed to get the Logitech Mouseman working under dosemu; well, at
least partially, anyway.  Two dos diagnostic utilities show the mouse
cursor normally and respond to it; "The Elder Scrolls: Arena" shows a
cursor in the middle of the screen (it had been showing up in the upper
left quadrant under previous attempts) but it does not move.  I've tried
adjusting the mouse parameters via "emumouse.exe"....but no cigar.

What I had to do was abandon the idea that I needed to tell Dosemu the
exact model of my mouse in dosemu.conf.  Instead, experimentation got me
results with the following settings:
____________________________

$_mouse = "ps2" # one of: microsoft, mousesystems, logitech, mmseries
                # mouseman, hitachi, busmouse, ps2
$_mouse_dev = "/dev/misc/psaux"    # one of: com1, com2, com3, com4 or
/dev/mouse

$_mouse_flags = "emulate3buttons"  # list of none or one or more of:

                        # "emulate3buttons cleardtr"
$_mouse_baud = (0)      # baudrate, 0 == don't set
____________________________

I downloaded the latest dosemu (version 1.1.3) and in the README dir
under src I saw the following advice for application-mouse trouble:

****SNIP****

> In practice this isn't quite perfect but it does work reasonably well.

> The tricky part then is to get the application and dosemu to agree on
> the algorithm.  The algorithm we aim at is one mickey one pixel.
> Dosemu does this by default under X but you can force it with.

> emumouse x 8 y 8 a

> To do this in various various applications generally falls under
> the category of disable all mouse accelleration.

I ran emumouse as above, but Elder Scrolls still could not see mouse
movement (kept the cursor in the middle of the screen).  The other dos
utilities still responded to mouse movement normally.

At one time in the distant past and a different version of Dosemu I had
this same problem; what I did was to allow port access to com2, and
disabled the internal driver.  I then loaded dosemu, and loaded the
Logitech mouse driver; which then started talking with the mouse, since
it had raw irq and port access to it.

I don't seem to have the same options here, simply because evidently I
can't target the correct port range for the PS/2 port.  I've tried
allowing the range 0x090,0x097 (a "best guesstimate) in the "ports"
section of dosemu.conf, and also setting IRQ 12 aside for raw access.
But the mouse driver was still unable to find the mouse.

I've got a dos diagnostic util that will "poke" all used hardware ports
and attempt to report on what they are used for.  It couldnt' see what
0x090 was being used for, only that it was in use; I figured that since
it was close to 0x060 (keyboard) that it was the likely candidate for
the auxiliary port address.  Or are PS/2 mouse requests routed thru the
keyboard port address? (0x060)?  Any ideas on this?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the internal driver or maybe how
exactly to allow raw access for the PS/2 port, so a mouse driver under
dosemu can be used?

L8r, LX