Hello.

Bart Oldeman wrote:
slower than xdos... why ioperm() doesn't allow
0x3ff ports?..
Once upon a time Linus decided that a 128 byte per-process i/o bitmap is ok, but 8192 bytes is excessively large.
Yes, and there was a reason then, which was
that ISA had 10-bit IO space most likely, but
why it wasn't altered since, is still unclear.

see also iopl(2)
I don't think it can be used. Even if I trap
int10, do iopl(3), then trap iret and do iopl(0),
it is still dangerous, because pesky vbios calls
some other ints in a mean time.
iopl() is used in ports.c anyway to access that
ports...
I think there is no way around: VESA in WinXP have
the same speed (which means that they also doesn't
have an ability to manipulate the large IO bitmap? -
strange).