On Thursday 07 November 2002 07:21, Siim Vahtre wrote:
> > There is a fundamental problem in that DOS locking is incompatible with
> > UNIX locking. Now if you use smbfs and samba you add two extra layers
> > where things can go wrong. This makes it complex. If the file server is
> > not running Windows then it's probably better to use NFS instead.
>
> The file server is Linux. However, there are also some Windows machines
> who want to say a word. And they all(Dosemu and Windows clients) must work
> together well.

I don't now if this could be a workable solution for you, but I suggest that
you forget about smbfs and samba. If your app runs fine under dosemu, simply
telnet (or ssh if security is a concern) from the windows and linux clients
to the linux server and run the app there under dosemu. Most likely you'll
gain speed too, because the app's data doesn't need to be transferred over
the network. I use this setup at a number of sites. The telnet client I use
on the windows machines is Console Telnet v2.0
(http://consoletelnet.sourceforge.net/). Development of it seems to be
standing still, but it works fine after you define some more key
combinations.

I hope that I've been clear and that this will help you.

Best wishes,

Marcel