Hello.

Robert Komar wrote:
I'm curious as to why mouse events have this effect but keyboard events don't. I'm constantly hitting keys when the slowdown occurs, but it takes a mouse event to break out of it. Is there something special about mouse events?
That's how the hogthreshold code works.
When the program is polling the keyboard
and there are no keypresses, dosemu gives
up the CPU time. When the program is polling
the mouse and the mouse is inactive (you are
not moving it), same thing happens. dosemu
is not aware that you are targeting at a
monster so it is not an appropriate time to
release the CPU. Just disable the hogthreshold
for that.
Well, it happens that such a heuristic works
remarkably perfect with keyboard, but not with
the mouse. The solution I can think of, is to
make hogthreshold configurable separately for
keyboard, mouse and all other things and make
it disabled by default for mouse but not for
keyboard. There was someone wolunteering to do
that change but this didnt happen yet.

I saw that the dosemu SB emulator had a sampling rate of 11000 Hz, while I had Duke3D setup to use 44000 Hz.
You might be too lucky - my Duke's setup doesn't
allow me to set the rate above 22KHz even if
I choose AWE32 (setup version is 1.3D). I guess
you are either cheating your setup somehow
(probably with an incorrect settings of a
BLASTER var?) or maybe your setup program is newer?

If this sounds like the sort of problem that many others might have
Probably you are alone with that as normally
Duke's setup doesn't permit such a rate (for me
at least).