On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:31:30 +1100
Clarence Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:57 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > However, dosemu will not work if $_hdimage is set to the
> > truncated image.  So I need a way to specify the file
> > starting at offset 0x2280, while leaving it intact...  But I
> > do not know how to specify a file starting at a byte
> > offset...
>
> According to "man losetup", maybe "losetup -o" but I've never
> tried it myself.
>
> Cheers,
> Clarence

Great discovery.  It did work!

losetup -d /dev/loop3                   <detach and clear loop3>
losetup -o 8832 /dev/loop3 /hdimage-32MB.mdos   <attach to loop3 @off=8832>
mount /dev/loop3 /dosc -t msdos         <voila!, done deal!>

Then export the drive's /dosc with smb.conf and MS-Access can
read/write to a file that dosemu is using inside of a partition
inside a Linux file in a networked embedded linux appliance.

Great capability for dosemu, since starting with Windows 2K/sp4
and also to a lesser extent XP/sp1 Dos mapped drives are no
longer allowed in the Windows network.  Samba2 and 3 still work
fine!

Gracias,
TonyB

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org
/ __|\\// __||  \  __   __          /         [EMAIL PROTECTED]