Bart and list,

I have started to catch the problem that leads to a failing SRPM build.

Apparently, under some conditions,

tar --no-same-owner -xzpf dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz

or even:

tar -xzf dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz

produces a zero-length zero-permission file instead of every symlink.
And it also produces a number of lines line this:

tar: dosemu/freedos/bin/command.com: Cannot unlink: Permission denied

I found that this happens in some directories and not in others, while I
have full (rwx) access to any of them; running as normal user in both
cases.

I am now trying to pinpoint the exact situations in which this happens.
In fact, this may even be a bug in tar. (I am using GNU tar 1.13.25 from
ASP Linux, probably same as RH9; I could not find a later version, and
gnu.org just has 1.13).

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik