My current configuration

Novell 3.12 server (PIII/500 128MB ram)
Fedora Core 1 (PIII/600 256MB ram) - 9 users with Putty (3 remote via DSL / Putty-ssh through linux firewall)
MS-DOS V6.22
lsl v2.14
vlm v1.02

dosemu.conf  network settings:
$_pktdriver = (on)
$_ipxsupport = (on)

config.sys:
dos=high
device=c:\dosemu\ems.sys (I put all the dosemu commands in c:\dosemu)
dos=umb
LASTDRIVE=Z (Change this to LASTDRIVE=E if you want to use netx
( I didn't see any perceptible performance differences

autoexec.bat:
c:\dos\smartdrv.exe (I don't expect this actually helps but haven't had a chance to test its removal
@echo off
prompt $p$g
path = c:\windows;c:\dos;c:\dosemu (Haven't been able to use Windows for much and don't really care
set temp = c:\dos
cd\nwclient
vlm.bat

vlm.bat:
lredir d: LINUX\FS\${home}
lh lsl
lh vlm   (much of vlm will go high anyway but this puts the whole thing high
f:
login

net.cfg:
Link Support
         BUFFERS 4 1514
         PB BUFFERS = 0

Netware DOS Requester
I did not make any changes in this section

inittab:
ip:345:wait:/sbin/ipx_interface add -p eth0 etherii
ir:345:once:/usr/bin/ipx_route add 00000001 00000002 00E02950ABB4 Note the ir: line does not work and if someone can tell me where to put it so it will I would appreciate it
Also, the MAC address in the ir: line may be different in your situation. Right now I can either execute the ir: line as root or simply start dosemu as root once before any other users. If you start dosemu nonroot the MAC address you need to use is included in the error message telling you that you need to add a route.

Note: I "do not" use pdipx or pdether
If you unload vlm (i.e. vlm -u) you will have to quit (X) dosemu and start again - dosemu locks up) takes about 3 seconds.

Procedure (roughly):
1- I setup a small harddisk in the same box I was going to use for linux and installed MS-DOS6.22 with appropriate replacements of dos equivalents in above config.sys and bat files and got it attaching to the novell server. In vlm.bat you would also have to load ipxodi and netcard driver while in dos mode.

2 - Attached linux harddisk as primary master and dos harddisk as secondary master and edited dosemu.conf for parttion access to dos harddisk

3 - Created a /dos directory and a /dos/dosemu directory. Setup dos group for /dos and dosemu group for /dos/dosemu and made all users who would be accesing dosemu members of both groups. Really the /dos and dos group are unnecessary and I did this for reasons not germane to the topic at hand. I then copied all files from the dos harddisk into /dos/dosemu.

4 - when launching dosemu for the first time for each user i used /dos/dosemu as the location of the dos files instead of the default which pointed to the freedos location.

Performance is approx 40% of connecting a dos box directly to the Novell server which you can do for local users if they need more performance. This setup is used for a live point-of-sale system.