  [Q] Brief Exp. for networking. (jongarmpark)

From: Timothy Buckelew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: PPP in RH 5.2
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 20:38:32 -0500

==============17BF315344E0322FE2AD4E77

> Here is a set of settings and stuff that work for RH5.1.   Hope it helps.

==============17BF315344E0322FE2AD4E77

It took me a long time to get ppp to work.  In the end,
I was making one small error in sensing the strings being
sent out by my internet service provider.  The tipoff was
an "alarm" message from chat, the dialing program.

Included below are tips and one set of files with settings that work
with RedHat5.1.  Note this is just one way to go about it.
There may be setup programs that work better for you,
like netcfg and wvdial.  Advice often comes in the form,
"Just do this...", and beginners are stuck not knowing what happened
if it doesn't work.  The examples below may give some
depth of understanding.

You can modify files with an editor.  I like "joe", because it is
simple and self-explanatory; and you can move around with the
arrow keys.  Real programmers use vi.

First use a simple communications program to see how your
modem is responding and how your ISP performs:

minicom is helpful in ISP setup. I use this string to
start it, so that ALT commands will work: minicom -M

Initialize your modem with a simple command like AT&D2.
Your modem should respond with "OK".
Then call your ISP, with a command like, ATDT5551212

Using minicom I could see that this is what my modem says:

CONNECT 57600

After about 3 seconds my ISP outputs the following two lines:

** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **

login:

Then of course after I enter my name, it comes back with this:

Password:

Then I enter my password, exit Minicom with ALT-Z, Q, Yes
(just ALT-Q works, too.)

Next launch pppd with the script,

"pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 57600 &"

I have named it "pup" for "ppp up". In other works, put the
script in a file called "pup" in /usr/bin.  Give pup executable
permissions with the command, "chmod +x /usr/bin/pup")
/dev/modem should be a link to your proper ttySn.  It should look
like this in the directory, /dev:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     tty            10 Nov  7 23:29 modem -> /dev/ttyS1

You create it like this:
ln -s  /dev/ttyS1 modem

You can watch the results  of your attempts to connect,
on another xterm that is running

"tail -f /var/log//messages".
Then I launch netscape, telnet, ping, or whatever, and it works fine.
The connect speed, 57600, seems to be OK. I get consistent
40000+ (sometimes 50000) bps transfer rates with a ThunderLink
(a WHAT?) v.90 modem.   Nice.

This is the output from
tail -f /var/log/messages     upon SUCCESSFUL minicom login:

Nov 28 11:40:18 localhost pppd[744]: pppd 2.3.3 started by root, uid 0
Nov 28 11:40:18 localhost pppd[744]: Using interface ppp0
Nov 28 11:40:18 localhost pppd[744]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Nov 28 11:40:21 localhost pppd[744]: local  IP address 209.6.64.43
Nov 28 11:40:21 localhost pppd[744]: remote IP address 10.220.10.116

Now for the automatic way.
Here are the successful ppp files:

Here is my ppp-on. Put it in /usr/sbin  so that it can be executed
from any directory.  Give it permissions as follows:
chmod 755 /usr/sbin/ppp-on

#!/bin/sh
#

TELEPHONE=555-1212      #fake
ACCOUNT=aqua            #Use your own
PASSWORD=xxxxxxxx       #fake; put your real password here
LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0        #
REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0       #
NETMASK=255.255.255.0   #
#
export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD
#
DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
#
exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 57600 \
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT &

Here is MY ppp-on-dialer.  Leave it in /etc/ppp and give it the
same executable permissions  (i.e., chmod 755 /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer)
The ISP strings you will be sensing will be different from mine.

#!/bin/sh
exec chat -v                                            \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              \rAT                            \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \
        "CONNECT 57600"   ''                            \
        "ver **"        ''                              \
        ogin:--ogin:    $ACCOUNT                        \
        assword:        $PASSWORD

Note that "ver **".  That is to sense the last few characters
of the line sent by the ISP, that reads
"** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **"   If your ISP is sending
lines other than "Login:" and "Password:", you may have
to deal with them similarly.
Here is the output from tail -f /var/log/messages for
the SUCCESSFUL ppp-on login:

Nov 28 13:02:19 localhost chat[1093]: expect (CONNECT 57600)
Nov 28 13:02:19 localhost chat[1093]: ^M
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]: ATDT555-1212^M^M     [fake again]
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]: CONNECT 57600
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]:  -- got it
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]: send (^M)
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]: expect (ver **)
Nov 28 13:02:53 localhost chat[1093]: ^M
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: ^M
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]:
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost last message repeated 23 times
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: ** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]:  -- got it
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: send (^M)
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: expect (ogin:)
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: ^M
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost last message repeated 2 times
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: login:
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]:  -- got it
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: send (aqua^M)
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: expect (assword:)
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]:  aqua^M
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: Password:
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]:  -- got it
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost chat[1093]: send (########^M)    [fake again]
Nov 28 13:02:57 localhost pppd[1092]: Serial connection established.
Nov 28 13:02:58 localhost pppd[1092]: Using interface ppp0
Nov 28 13:02:58 localhost pppd[1092]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Nov 28 13:03:02 localhost pppd[1092]: local  IP address 209.6.67.152
Nov 28 13:03:02 localhost pppd[1092]: remote IP address 10.220.10.119

Here are the contents of my /etc/resolv.conf:

domain ultranet.com
nameserver 146.115.8.20
nameserver 146.115.8.19
And here are the contents of my /etc/ppp/options:

0.0.0.0:
/dev/modem
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
mtu 576
mru 576

To end the session, enter "ps ax" on an xterm, look for the
PID of the pppd, and kill it with "kill nnnn", where nnnn
is the PID.

(Alternatively, you can enter "killall pppd", or use the
furnished script, ppp-off.)

Hope this helps somebody.  I know I have been helped many times
by newsgroup contributions.

Sincerely yours,

Timothy Buckelew

==============17BF315344E0322FE2AD4E77==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Standleitung (Analog mit Modems)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:16:34 GMT

Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi there

>On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, XtamorZ wrote:

>> anyone who knows a litlle more German then me ?

>I think it something about a leased line.

Right. The short form is: "I don't have a clue, but I need to setup
a network with an analogue leased line, including Firewall etc. .
Please tell me everything I need to know about networking, Linux
and TCP/IP ."

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: 10 Jan 1999 01:25:24 GMT

On 08 Jan 1999 22:13:08 -0800,
Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    William> provides users with two email IDs.  One for general email
>    William> use, the second for use with USENET messages as a valid
>    William> reply address.  The client software is somehow smart
>    William> enough to know that one of the email address is
>    William> exclusively for replies from USENET.
>
>You already can do this with `plus' addressing.  See my address above?
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- if I have a need, I can sort on that
>plus.  Plus addressing is legal and effective, providing you're
>willing to do the work necessary to sort.

Hmmm, this is convenient, didn't know it existed.  Might use that instead. ;)

It is not immediately clear to me how to sort out spam this way with no
extra software (procmail is a given here -- I could just put all the mail
with the plus addressing in a special folder for perusal of subject lines
from memory).  Any further hints?

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: use CDE remotely
Date: 10 Jan 1999 03:48:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>At the office I've got a Sun workstation running Solaris 2.5 and CDE gui.
>At home I'm running Suse 5.3.  There's no problem dialing in to the
>office network from home with PPP, telneting to my workstation and
>getting a shell prompt.
>
>My question is:  Is it possible to make the CDE desktop appear on
>my home box and what additional software would it take?

No additional software, but unless you've got a really fast connection
from home (like 10Mbps!), you will probably be very disappointed.

Start ppp on you home box without X windows running. No need to telnet or
anything to your work box. From a shell prompt at home, do:
   Xwrapper -query work.box.hostname -once
(Assuming X at home is configured. Type Xwrapper -help for more info.)
You may need to set up a font server too. CDE on HP-UX needs lots of
odd fonts. Don't know about Sun's version.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Weeks)
Subject: Re: Recomend NewsReader
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:54:56 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        cglur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Please recomend a newsreader which can:-
>  * collect headers
>  * read headers OFF-LINE and select/mark randomly desired bodies
>  * delete randomly (uninteresting) headers.
>  * download  bodies of 'marked' headers
>  * delete/save megs. randomly.
>
> I'm writing this with Netscape 4.05 (absurd BLOATWARE !).
>
> I spent some hours trying to run trn, but I can't see
> how to 'mate' it with my pppd.  How can trn know the
> NewsServer's URL ??

It looks like you're looking for Agent. As far as I know there's
nothing quite like it on Linux. I've heard rumors that Agent can be
ran under Wine. I personally use knews for the reader and leafnode to
manage the downloading. Leafnode gets the entire group if I'm
interested in it rather than just the messages I'm interested
in. There is some way to split the header/body download with leafnode,
but I've never been interested in figuring out how. There's also the
slrn package that's supposed to be able to do something similar.

By the way, the standard way for Unix news readers to find the news
server is either with the /etc/nntpserver file or with an environment
variable. They rarely require individual configuration.

knews is at http://www.matematik.su.se/~kjj/
leafnode is at http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~krasel/leafnode.html
You will have to find the others yourself.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: PPP problems
Date: 9 Jan 1999 21:01:27 -0600

Frank Hale ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: When I upgrade my PPP package to the latest 2.3.5 and connect to
: Bellatlantic.net I get the following error when connecting

: pppd[9528]: No response to PAP authenticate-requests

: But if I downgrade my package to PPP 2.2.0f-5 it will connect and work
: perfectly. Does anyone know what the difference is in the way the two
: versions authenticate PAP? Can anyone connect using the newest version
: of PPP 2.3.5?

One possiblity is the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets needs a fourth field, a `*' :

username        *       password        *

Not an absolute as I believed until recently, but something that should
be tried.

For a better picture of what's happening look in /var/log/debug (usually),
after adding the pppd debug option if it is not already present.  The PPP
negotiation messages should be there if /etc/syslog.conf is set up right.
man syslog.conf for setting it up.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Static IP Address Problem
Date: 9 Jan 1999 21:05:11 -0600

Aubrey Kilpatrick ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I'm a networking newbie.  I have finally received a "Static IP Address" from
: a local ISP Service Provider and I want to convert my dynamic IP assigned
: number to the static address from the local ISP.  The problem is my linux
: box, "server", on my home LAN is set up to use Dynamic IP addresses with my
: current ISP.  I am using IP Masquerade and ipfwadm firewall on the linux
: server.  The win95 machines connect to the WWW through the linux box just
: fine with my current setup BUT, I can't get it to work with the new static
: IP #.  If someone can help me or point me to a specific HOWTO on setting up
: a dialup ppp connection with a static IP address I would appreciate it very
: much.

It should be as simple as adding <YourStaticIP:> as a pppd option.

As always "man pppd" should provide details and insight.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: gethostbyname failure
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:05:43 GMT

Hi all,
Whenever I am trying to start fetchmail in my machine it is exiting
with an error saying gethostbyname failed for darkstar(which is the hostname
by default set at the linux slackware installation time). From behaviour
of some other programs I think that it is failing because there is no
domain name set for my machine. Although I set it by the setdomainname
command still fetchmail gives the same error. Is it need to be set during
the startup procedure at boot time (may be in a proper sequence)? Could
somebody help me out?
Thanks in advance.

Sudip

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 22:16:19 +0000

>From the system control pannel click the network configurator button.  Click
routing, make sure default
gateway is empty, make sure default gateway device is empty.  The ""  as the
mask setting is ok in the ifcfg-ppp0.
make sure after you connect that you have a default route at the botttom of a
route command that has
Destination default,   a gateway of something like dial-e.cmb.ma.ullkj;lkj;
whatever,  A genmask of 0.0.0.0
and flags of UG.   You should be able to bing by addr to the P-t-P address from
ifconfig -a on the PPP0 entry.
then try pinging boston.com or do an nslookup boston.com.  If you can bing an ip
addr but not nslookup
then resolv.conf is not setup. [etc/resolv.conf].

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:14:25 GMT

[Newsgroups: line drastically trimmed , F'Up set]

"Henning Ahlers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Also,

>Ahnung hat hier wohl keiner, oder?

Schau Dir die Kommentare mal genauer an.

[...]

>Da ich Anfänger in Linux bin, benötige ich eine einfache Beschreibung wie
>ich ein Netzwerk einrichte. Ich möchte einen Rechner mit Linux als Firewall
>und zur Ansteuerung der Standleitung benutzen und dann ein Netzwerk mit
>einem Win98-Rechner aufbauen um von dort das Internet zu nutzen.

[X] Du willst die entsprechende Doku lesen ( unter /usr/doc/howto )
    z.B. IP-Masquerading-HOWTO, Firewall-HOWTO , etc.
[X] Du willst den "NAG" lesen
[X] Du willst deine Crossposting-Liste kuerzen

>Übrigens was heißt: 8er Subnet, 6 nutzbare IP-Adressen?

2 IP-Adressen aus jedem Netz sind fuer Hostrechner nicht verwendbar,
da sie fuer die Netzwerk- und Broadcastadresse reserviert sind.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Where from I get the popclient software
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 02:08:33 GMT

Hi all
Could you give me a pointer as to where and how I get the popclient
software so that I can download my emails from my ISP?

Thanks in advance.

Sudip

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Utterly clueless about PPP
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 20:11:33 +0000

If your running RH 5.2 server configuration everything is pretty much setup.
Try editing ppp-on.  Put it,
ppp-on-dialer into a dir with a path to it and it should work provided you have
not edited anything too far
away from their defaults.  Probably pick up a fresh copy of the options file
from the scripts dir and put it
into the same dir as ppp-on.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: jongarmpark                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] Brief Exp. for networking.
Date: 10 Jan 1999 04:14:56 GMT

Hello.
I just installed a NE2000 compatible network card ( ethernet ).
It is PNP and I recompiled the kernel for it. (ISA card )
The Linux recognize the card when it is booting.
But I can't find any network devcie by netstat -i ( eth0.. etc )
So, question 1 is :
        Is the card is properly installed and recognized?

Second is :
        What file should I modify to specify, Gateway, IP address of
        my machine, Name server, Subnet mask, etc?

I'm using the RedHat 5.2 ( not really, partly 5.2, mostly 5.1 and
still 3.03 a little. ), and there is a control panel with which the
network rnformation is managed, but I don't think it works.
( Although I chnaged something, I can't be networked. )

I've used Linux networking with modem, but it's first time for me to
use ethernet card.
Thank you.

JongAm Park  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Computer Vision Lab.