From: "Charles Stack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Chat - not with my modem it won't!
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:06:18 -0500

What port are you righting to?  Are you using RedHat or some other system?
What options do you have set in /etc/ppp/options?

My guess is that you haven't specified the port to use with your ppp script.

Charles

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diald and routing!
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 05:17:15 -0600

Nickolai Sergienko wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've recently upgraded my diald (from 0.14 to 0.16). The setup is as
> follows: Linux box provides Internet access (via modem) to the Windows
> 95/98 workstations, which are on the Ethernet. And I strongly need
> Dial-on-demand service, such as diald. After upgrading I have a problem
> with the routing: I can't ping the internal network from the Linux
> machine, and I also can't ping Linux from Windows machines when diald is
> running. And it's ok, when diald is not running. Seems like these packets
> are going to 'sl0' interface and get filtered.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I would greatly appreciate if someone who uses
> similar setup sends me his/her diald.conf file.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nickolai

=======[ /etc/diald.conf ]==========================
mode ppp
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript"
device /dev/modem
speed 115200
modem
lock
crtscts
local 127.0.0.2
remote 127.0.0.3
dynamic
defaultroute
accounting-log /var/log/diald_log
-f /usr/lib/diald/standard.filter
=======[ /etc/diald.conf ]==========================

--
Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the

------------------------------

From: Ilkka Karasalo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remote printing problem, Rh 5.1
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:15:37 +0100

==============E52935B2CADD09BE8765D255

Recently I installed a remote lpd printer queue on my RedHat 5.1
system, with the target remote printer attached to a HP-UX 10.20
workstation.

Using the printer fails, however, with the following error message
written to /var/adm/lp/log on the HP-UX host:

/usr/sbin/lpsched: Unable to open and lock
"request/u1_1tr_hp4m/cfA003enviro2"

where 'u1_1tr_hp4m' is the name of the printer queue on the HP-UX
host, and 'enviro2' is the hostname of the RH5.1 host.

The print request does create and leave a small text file

/var/spool/lp/request/u1_1tr_hp4m/cfA003Aa01182

on the HP-UX host,  containing some info on the file that was to
be printed.

Installing and using the printer as a remote lpd printer from HP-UX
workstations works without problems.

Any help with this is very welcome.

Ilkka Karasalo

FOA 64                          KTH, MWL
Enkopingsvagen 126              Teknikringen 8
S-172 90 Stockholm              S-100 44 Stockholm
Phone: +46-8-7063627            Phone: +46-8-7908017
Fax:   +46-8-7063869            Fax:   +46-8-7906122
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============E52935B2CADD09BE8765D255

<HTML>
&nbsp;
<BR>Recently I installed a remote lpd printer queue on my RedHat 5.1
<BR>system, with the target remote printer attached to a HP-UX 10.20
<BR>workstation.
<P>Using the printer fails, however, with the following error message
<BR>written to /var/adm/lp/log on the HP-UX host:
<P>/usr/sbin/lpsched: Unable to open and lock
<BR>"request/u1_1tr_hp4m/cfA003enviro2"
<P>where 'u1_1tr_hp4m' is the name of the printer queue on the HP-UX
<BR>host, and 'enviro2' is the hostname of the RH5.1 host.
<P>The print request does create and leave a small text file
<P>/var/spool/lp/request/u1_1tr_hp4m/cfA003Aa01182
<P>on the HP-UX host,&nbsp; containing some info on the file that was to
<BR>be printed.
<P>Installing and using the printer as a remote lpd printer from HP-UX
<BR>workstations works without problems.
<P>Any help with this is very welcome.
<PRE>Ilkka Karasalo

FOA
64&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 KTH, MWL
Enkopingsvagen
126&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Teknikringen 8
S-172 90
Stockholm&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 S-100 44 Stockholm
Phone: +46-8-7063627&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone: +46-8-7908017
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;
+46-8-7063869&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp; +46-8-7906122
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: "Tazman37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 06:27:09 -0500

Dude!
            Install it NOW, play with it, read, read, read, you'll screw it
up and get frustrated a bunch, then re-install from scratch and you'll be
amazed at what you've learned. Linux Unleashed is a great book, but
certainly not the only one. Get system commander deluxe if you want to dual
boot between win95 and linux. Don't be afraid to use MS stuff for leaning
the competition even though you'll get comments like "windoze lamer" etc.

Hope this helps,

Art

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Cooperstein)
Subject: Re: AutoDial
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:36:20 GMT

http://www.nic.com/~cannon/Linux/index.htm is a good place to start.  It will
get you up and running quickly providing:

o  You have a reasonably current kernel source (2.0.33 has been the "latest
stable kernel" for quite a while now);

o  You have or can get a current pppd distribution (2.3.4 was the latest at
Sunsite as of May 1998, though I'm now seeing people asking about 2.3.5).

o  You have a LAN installed (I'm using thin-wire Ethernet with the machines
simply daisy-chained; that works fine for me).

o  You know how to use the "locate" command to find setup files if they aren't
in the same place on your system that they are on mine -- I'm using RedHat 5.0
myself, so a lot of my files are under /etc/rc.d

o  Your provider assigns you a dynamic IP address.

Mark

In article <778ctb$n22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kris Jordan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Has there been any good How-to's for setting up linux for autodial, all I
>have seen is just a bunch of setup files bunched together that did not help
>much.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kris Jordan

**  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Cooperstein)
Subject: Re: connecting two networks by PPP
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:54:37 GMT

I assume the error unknown cua1 must have something to do with /dev/modem
pointing to /dev/cua1 and it not being valid?  First of all, don't use cua1
as your modem device, use ttyS1.  Do a:
# ls -lsap /dev/modem
and see what the symbolic link points to.  If it does point to cua1, change it
using:
# ln -fs /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem
Secondly, are you sure that the modem devices on both machines are even
working?  Before you mess with ppp, you need to shutdown ppp (ppp-down or
ifdown, or whatever on your system) and use minicom.  Make sure minicom's
modem device is specified as /dev/modem, then send it a couple of AT commands.
You should get back an OK response.  If you don't, you need to figure out why
your modem's arent configured.
Lastly, and I'm not an expert here, but it seems that you have some funkyness
going on in the way way your IP addressing is done below.  First of all,
machine 1 has what IP address? It looks like 192.168.1.10, but your /etc/hosts
file shows two machines, 192.168.1.11 and .12.  What goes on? Also, it shows
that your gatewaydevice is eth0, your ethernet NIC. Is this right? Should not
it be ppp0?  I'm sorry but I'm a bit fuzzy on routing, so I may be way off
base here. You should check all messages in /var/log/messages and see what is
going on when you start up pppd.  Also, you may find a log file called ppp-log
in /var/log as well.  It will be very useful in debugging the ppp session.  If
you dont have a ppp-log file, I believe you need to put in an entry into:
/etc/syslog.conf with the following:
"daemon  *"
(no quotes) Which should tell syslogd to log ppp.  Now, this last jewel I read
somewhere and has been tremendously helpful for me, but this information is
from memory (I'm not at my Linux box right now), and I may have the wrong file
as well as the wrong command.  I'll check it next time I reboot, and if it's
not correct I'll try to email you with the correct command to get ppp logging.

Mark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sechylmanos)
Subject: Re: Commands
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:23:45 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Arthur Chiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> In Linux/Unix, storage device has to be mounted before it can be accessed.
>>
>> Learn to use the command 'mount' first.

You should definitely learn how to use the mount command, but what you
need to do for accessing your CD-Rom or your Floppy disk is like this.
(could be slightly different on your machine, I am using RedHat Linux...)

to access the cd-rom:
type "mount /mnt/cdrom" and then you will be able to go into the
directories on the CD-ROM.  The floppy drive is the same, only use "mount
/mnt/fd0".

Both of these assume that the devices have been set up in /etc/fstab.
(which they should be automatically if you are using RedHat linux 5.X)

Hope this helps...

Sechylmanos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sechylmanos)
Subject: Re: database suggestions, please?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:47:08 -0800

Sounds like you pretty much need a standard SQL Database...

You could try using Postgresql, which comes with linux (redhat flavor
anyhow) or I would also recommend you look at MySQL.  If you send the
people at MySQL an email and ask them about your requirements...

Their web site is http://www.mysql.com

>From what I have heard, they are supposed to have one of the most fast and
stable SQL databases available.

Hope this helps...

------------------------------

From: "Alan D. Wilcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RJ-45 network needs hub ?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 07:55:04 -0500

No, you do _not_ need a hub if all you want to do is interconnect
two NICs with RJ-45s. (If you want to do 3 or more, then you need a hub.)

HOWEVER, you do need a "cross-over" cable; a plain LAN cable won't do.
Any competent PC shop can build you one if you can't find one in store.

Alan

------------------------------

From: Ryan Stapleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Error with Intel EtherExpress 16
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 06:54:18 +0000

Hello,
  I pulled a stupid b4, about a few errors I was getting
but now I get a new one,.

i82586 startup timed out, status 0100, resetting.

and this goes on for ever, I have rebooted a lot and once in
a while it seems to work, go figure.

anyone have any ideas on this one?  I am installing the new
net tools later tonight, is this part of that problem?

Thanks
-Ryan

- Ryan Stapleton               |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]              -
- Amateur Radio Call: KA3WUT   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]      -
- http://users.penn.com/~raal  |   [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Barnett)
Subject: Re: named.boot & hosts files - are these correct use of
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:05:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Worsdall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have made sure there are NO hosts & lmhosts files on win98
>
>So know I just need to configure jilldando

>The confusion is what to edit for my purposes.

>So the setup is?:-
>/etc/HOSTNAME
>jilldando.linux

>Now this is the hostname of the linux box and I am OK here.

>/etc/host.conf
>order hosts, bind
>multi on

>This means when you get a name request, first look in the hosts file, if
>linux box cannot resolve the name to an IP address then use the DNS
>service named, is this correct?

Yes, but the hosts file is only looked up by the linux system.  If a request
to resolve a name comes from an external system, the linux system will only
present entries it finds in the named database.

So to present the full picture, the hosts file is only ever used by the
machine upon which the file is stored.

Your choices are:
1) Put entries in your dns for these names.
2) Put entries in a hosts file on the Win98 system

One other thing: 127.0.0.1 is the internal loopback interface for each system
on the network.  Also, you should have the 127.0.0.1 reverse lookup definition
(just to ensure no surprises).  More on reverse lookups later.

>/etc/hosts
>127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
>10.0.1.252      jilldando       jilldando.linux
>10.0.1.250      win98           worsdall.demon.co.uk
>
>So the linux box gets a request to resolve "jilldando" from win98, is
>looks in the hosts file and see's 10.0.1.252 is jilldando and pass's
>this IP address back to the win98 machine.
>
>If the linux box gets a request to resolve "www.hinwick.home" from
>win98, is looks in the hosts file and cannot find an IP address that
>matches the request, so the linux machine (jilldando) will know pass the
>request onto the dns service.

>Now I am lost:-( what files do we need to sort out?

What a mess. ;)  I would really recommend getting a hold of the Network
Administrator's Guide by Olaf Kirch.  You can get it from the 'net at
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/ldp.html (the Linux Documentation Project).  I also
suggest getting the book, "DNS and Bind" by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu.  It
is published by O'Reilly.  Not great bedtime reading, but real useful.

Ok. The first thing to review is the named.boot, which provides information
for named.  It should contain something like this:

; where to find databases
;
directory       /etc/named_db
; name lookup databases
;
primary         mynet.co.uk                     mynet.co.uk.db
;
; reverse lookup databases
;
primary         1.0.10.in-addr.arpa             1.0.10.db
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa            0.0.127.db
;
; load the cache data last
;
cache           .                               root.cache
;
; Forwarders - Other DNS's if this one can't resolve the query
;
forwarders 24.192.3.18

The first entry tells named which directory to search for its databases
(/etc/named_db).

The second entry tells named where to find information on names for the domain
mynet.co.uk.  It can find information in the file mynet.co.uk.db (in directory
/etc/named_db).

The third and forth entries provide the reverse lookup information for finding
the name based on an IP address (respectively these are 1.0.10.db and
0.0.127.db).

The names used for filenames are arbitrary, but having sensible names makes it
easier when you need to modify your dns data later (in this example you can
glance at the filenames and guess at what information is going to be in the
files).

The cache entry tells named where to find the name servers for the root
domains.

The final entry provides an IP address of another name server, in case your
dns can't resolve the name.  You should put your ISP's dns in here, if your
dns has access to the ISP's dns.

Now you need to create the other files.  In order - you assemble something
like the following:

;
; /etc/named_db/mynet.co.uk.db
;
; Data file of hostnames in this zone (mynet.co.uk)
;
@          IN      SOA     jilldando.mynet.co.uk. root.jilldando.mynet.co.uk (
                                1                  ; serial
                                86400           ; refresh
                                3600             ; retry: one hour
                                3600000        ; expire: 42 days
                                604800 )        ; minimum: 1 week
              IN      A       10.0.1.252
              IN      NS      jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
;
; Addresses for canonical names
;
localhost IN      A        127.0.0.1
win98      IN      A        10.0.1.250
jilldando  IN      A         10.0.1.252
;
; Aliases
;
www.shadow.home. IN CNAME jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
www.worsdall.home. IN CNAME jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
www.hinwick.home. IN CNAME jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
www.shadow.win98. IN CNAME win98.mynet.co.uk.
www.worsdall.win98. IN CNAME win98.mynet.co.uk.
www.hinwick.win98. IN CNAME win98.mynet.co.uk.
linux                       IN CNAME jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
jilldando.linux          IN CNAME jilldando.mynet.co.uk.

Next,

;
; /etc/named_db/1.0.10.db
;
; Data file of reverse lookups for this domain (mynet.co.uk)
;
@         IN      SOA     jilldando.mynet.co.uk. root.jilldando.mynet.co.uk. (
                                1              ; serial
                                86400       ; refresh
                                3600         ; retry: one hour
                                3600000    ; expire: 42 days
                                604800 )    ; minimum: 1 week
                IN      NS      jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
;
250            IN      PTR     win98.mynet.co.uk.
252            IN      PTR     jilldando.mynet.co.uk.

Lastly,

;
; /etc/named_db/0.0.127.db
;
; Data file of reverse lookups for this domain (mynet.co.uk)
;
@         IN      SOA     jilldando.mynet.co.uk. root.jilldando.mynet.co.uk. (
                                1              ; serial
                                86400       ; refresh
                                3600         ; retry: one hour
                                3600000    ; expire: 42 days
                                604800 )    ; minimum: 1 week
                IN      NS      jilldando.mynet.co.uk.
;
1            IN      PTR     localhost.

Note:  All the periods (.) used in the examples here are important: ending a
name with a period indicates that it is a full name, and the local domain does
not need to be appended to the definition.

That completes the definitions you need to type in.

The root.cache file is the last thing to complete.  Luckily, you don't need to
create it.  Just download it from internic.  The location is
ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain.  The file is named.root.  Just go here to
grab the file, rename it to root.cache and put it into the directory (in this
example, /etc/named_db).

You should now be able to start named.  (If it is already started, just 'kill
-HUP' the process to get named to reload the databases).

To get your linux system to use the dns, you need to configure
/etc/resolv.conf.

# Define dns used for resolving names
domain mynet.co.uk
search mynet.co.uk
nameserver 10.0.1.252

You should now have a working dns and resolver.

This covers one approach to the whole problem.  Of course, you can modify and
play with this after you have understood what is going on here.  As always,
use the reference books as the higher authority when in doubt concerning my
walk through.

Good luck.

JonB.