From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why can PPP configure the DNS server address dynamically?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:42:18 +0100

==============42AD3A0CC2D959AD445D98C0

The pppd doesn't retreive DNS information from the LCP. (LCP is the piece of
protocoll before you've got the IP address). M$ does do this but it is
abnormal. Besides you only need 1 DNS entry for every dialup session (when
it comes to internet DNS's)

Raymond

George wrote:

> Is there a technical reason why PPP can't configure the ISP's DNS server
> address
> dynamically? How does one handle multiple ISPs each with different
> DNSes?

==============42AD3A0CC2D959AD445D98C0

begin:          vcard
fn:             Raymond Doetjes
n:              Doetjes;Raymond
org:            SYNAPSES IT
adr:            Overijsselhaven 47;;;Nieuwegein;Utrecht;3433 PH;The Netherlands
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          programmeur VAB
tel;work:       030 6066411
tel;fax:        030 6067871
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

==============42AD3A0CC2D959AD445D98C0==

------------------------------

From: Rod Brick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: eth0: Tx FIFO error! Status 02ea.
Date: 15 Jan 1999 04:28:47 GMT

Can someone explain these messages to me:

eth0: Tx FIFO error! Status 02ea.
eth0: Tx FIFO error! Status 02e2.

The vast majority of messages are the 02ea variety.  The server machine
prints this while a client is downloading a file via ftp.  The client
also shows packet errors.  Both machines are running 2.0.36.  The server
machine has an AMD PCnet card using the lance v1.14 2/3/98 driver
running on non-standard port 0x240.  The client machine has a DC21041
Tulip driver.

These errors only occur while 'getting' a file from the server, and the
transfer rate shows between 60 and 90 Kbytes/sec.  When I 'put' a file
to the server I receive no error messages or packet errors, and the
transfer rate is much faster at 5e+02Kbytes/sec.

Can someone help me out here?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tcpd refuses to accept my telnet connections!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:02:22 GMT

Hi,
I used to be able to telnet into a machine (on the internet) which used
tcpd to verify incoming connections, but all of a sudden the machine
decides to refuse my and only my connection.
Could anyone suggest a possible reason why SUDDENDLY the gethostbyname
function would fail  for my address?

The logs for the machine say:

Jan 14 13:15:03  in.telnetd[17304]: warning: can't verify
hostname: gethostbyname(24.66.30.195.mtag1.on.wave.home.com) failed

Jan 14 13:15:03  in.telnetd[17304]: refused connect from
24.66.30.195

Thanks for your help and advice!
Nebu
Please also CC: to my address in case I miss the ng post, thanks

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ip-masquerading and network games (starcraft)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:02:25 +0100

==============0B80BB02B1F8CCF26D56345B

It depends on wich protocolls the game people have made.
The reason that you have masq_* modules is that these games make use of several
sockets and have special protocolls on how to connect and disconnect. These
action should be known to the masq. server to mimic them.

So the bottleneck in your case is the lack of enaough masq_ modules. But this
same problem arises with Proxy 2.0 also and all the other NAT simulations.

Raymond

From: Tony Cuevas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Do You Setup Two NICS
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:11:45 -0800

The important thing is to get at least one card working first.
Actually, what I did is that I tested both cards individually before
placing them together simultaneously.
So after both cards are in, autoprobe will not detect the second
card so you have to pass to kernel some boot parameters. In my
case passed in
ether=0,0,eth1

The first number is the base address and the second number is the irq
(interrupt), and the
third parameter is the interface name (remember that eth0 should be
detected automagically).
Using zeros above automatically assigns values to these fields. I am not
sure but I believe this only
applies to PCI cards, which I have. The system automatically assigns
base addr and irq for
pci cards.
How do you pass these parameters to the kernel?
In my case, Alpha Workstation (boot is different than PCs), these are
the boot commands that
I give to MILO, which I believe is the equivalent to LILO on PCs.

Also, check out the HOW-TO on Ethernet. Very helpful.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

/tc

p.s. i tried to email you directly also and it bounced.check your return addr.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Anyone doing Dial-On-Demand?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:02:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Choon-Cheng Chee (remove "removethis" in my
e-mail)) writes:
> On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 20:53:27 -0500, Jim Kempe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>>I'd really like to get the modem connection to start up on demand,
>>rather than teach the family to telnet to the linux box to start it up.
>>
>>Anyone doing this?  My copy of the Dial-On-Demand howto refers to the
>>ability of kerneld to run scripts, referring to the kernel howto.  But
>>that document (at least my copy) doesn't seem to discuss it.
>>
>>Replies to the newsgroup or email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I am "trying" to do it. Have not done it yet. Hope both of us can work
> it out together. 8)
>
> I have looked at this page (http://www.nic.com/~cannon/Linux/) and
> tried the config on a new RH 5.2 system I have just installed.
> Unfortunately it didn't work. It says my kernel does not support
> demand dialing. It seems that kernel support for demand dialing has
> been removed, and "diald" is the recommended way of doing it. See the
> following excerpt from kerne Mini-HOWTO:
>
> ========
>   What about dial-on-demand networking?
>    kerneld originally had some support for establishing dial-up
> network
>    connections on demand; trying to send packets to a network without
>    being connected would cause kerneld to run the
> _/sbin/request_route_
>    script to setup a PPP or SLIP connection.
>    This turned out to be a bad idea. Alan Cox of Linux networking fame
>    wrote on the linux-kernel mailing list, that
> The request-route stuff is obsolete, broken and not required [...]
> Its also removed from 2.1.x trees.
>    Instead of using the request-route script and kerneld, I whole
>    heartedly advise that you install Eric Schenk's diald package,
>    available from http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics/diald.html
> =========
>
> I will continue my experiment on "diald". You can check out the Mini
> HOWTO on diald too.
>
> Just in case you are interested, there is a dial-up GUI frontend that
> can be used by clients in the network to initiate a dial-up on the
> gateway. Can't remember the exact name. Just look it up in
> www.freshmeat.net.
>
> Good luck!
>

> Choon-Cheng Chee

Hi,

I set up demand ppp the other day with the newest ppp 2.3.5 and kernel 2.0.36.
It took a little bit of tweaking.  Basically what you need to do is:

1) make sure you have a ppp kernel module thats 2.3.5 and supports
   the 'demand' option.  It seems that some of the newer distributions
   somehow have the 2.3.5 deamon but the 2.2.0 module (I did).
2) also, the 'make kernel' of the 2.3.5 pppd source incorrectly chooses not
   to replace ppp.c because of file dates of kernel 2.0.36.
   So I did that by hand.
3) Now ppp.c brings you to the free(skb) declaration error. To compile, it
   must be changed to the two-parameter version of the macro.

(Unfortunately I don't have any sources or the configuration I made
right now but memory serves me)

Once everything is compiled and the correct module is loaded

4) get your pppd working like you normally would and then add the options

   'demand idle 600 holdoff 5 ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote \
    192.168.1.20:192.168.1.40'

Notice the bogus ip address provided and the ipcp-accept's.
I recall this is desired for the below fix to work.

So, in order to prevent (alleviate) the problem of
the first packet getting lost when it triggers pppd to dial...

'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr'

in an rc.script or something seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps,
Dave

------------------------------

From: jerry seinfelding<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.2600,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: buffer overflow
Date: 15 Jan 1999 09:34:47 GMT

http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/bufero.html
--
================
"a squid eating dough in a polyethelene bag is fast and boulbous, got me?"

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wins Problem??
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:05:24 +0100

==============3AC12497A48547385473F587

You also should set your NetBios from the samba name in the etc host file
with its ip address.
That problem with Win9x that WINS loses its setings is a Win9x problem I
have the same problems with WIn9x and NT situation

Raymond

From: "Jonas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: ip-up problem
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:29:52 +0100

I'm using LRP 2.9.4pre with the ppp.lrp package.
I'm just interested in setting up a secure firewall between my home lan and
the internet using one NIC and a modem.
I want LRP to handle ppp dial on demand connection using pppd and the option
demand.

TIA /Jonas

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does this mean? Please?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:02:10 +0100

Nazeeh Amin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hi..

> and my routing : using route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> eth0

                As the others mentioned the netmask is wrong.
                But first of all, why don't you tell us what kind of distribution you
are
using ?

                I find it very common that people forget to use the mechanism offered
by the various distributions, in order to setup the network and resort to improper
(and ineffective) use of commands such as route, ifconfig etc.

                For example in Redhat one has to go to /etc/sysconfig and modify the
file
network as well as the file ifcfg-eth0 in the directory /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

                If you do those two things right there will be absolutely no need to do
anything else (such as stray route commands).

                One last thing :
                Make sure that your ethercard IS using the right port. That is to say,
if you are using 10BaseT make sure (using the dos disk supplied with the NIC for
example) that the ethercard is defaulting to UTP, instead of say 10Base2.

It would also help if made sure that there are no hardware conflicts cause by pnp.
(especially in io and irq)

=================
p94003@rainbow.**NOSPAM**.cs.unipi.gr
remove **NOSPAM** to reply !

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Routing setup with 2 NICs
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:37:42 +0100

Tony Cuevas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have some basic routing questions. I'm new to Linux but I have used
> some
> UNIX before.  My ISP has provided me with 8 ips (5 of which are
> useable).
>
> netmask 255.255.255.248

                So, your ISP, has made 32 subnetworks of the a.b.c domain. You appear
be in the 5th subdomain.

> a.b.c.32 - network addr (not useable)
> a.b.c.33 - gateway (not useable - this appears to be on their end. need
> to ask
> if i can have this one?)
> a.b.c.34 - host
> a.b.c.35 - host
> a.c.b.36 - host
> a.b.c.37 - host
> a.b.c.38 - host
> a.b.c.39 - broadcast (not useable)

                Correct. If the 33 (the network addr+1 usually is the gateway address)
is the gateway the you can't use it as a free ip. You, as you have correctly
said, have 5 free ip's.

> I have finally gotten to the point where my Linux box recognizes my 2
> ethernet
> cards but I'm not quite
> sure how to set up the routing? The following is my intended setup.
>
> INET ISP(gateway a.b.c.33) --- (eth0-a.b.c.34)/(eth1-a.b.c.35)--- rest
> of my
> internal netwk.
>
> How do I setup my routing tables?

                What distribution are you using ? RH / SuSe / ... ?

                What do you intend to do with those ethercards on your box ? I can't
understand why you have 5 ip's (static obviously ?) using one machine.
Having two or more NIC's on the same box which all are given true ip addresses
and thus having various eth0, eth1 interfaces which all can access the internet,
doesn't give you much. Please elaborate on the purpose of this machine.

> Is there any conflict since eth0 and eth1 share the same network
> address?

                Of course not. Each card has a different ip address. That's the way
routers/
gateways work.

> I eventually plan on setting up a DNS server once I register my domain
> name? Is there anything I need to plan in advance for all of this to work?

                Nothing really. On one of your ip addresses, you will ran named. This
IP which will be your nameserver address.

==============================

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ping works but nothing else!?!
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:18:30 +0100

==============D809F5F1F89F4661F79AA044

Add on both machines there name and ip address in /etc/hosts
If you can ping you can connect to webservers etc. (If they run in the
background ofcourse)
Perhaps you don't have inetd enabled so that you don't have telnet and www
servers running.

Raymond

From: "Stefano Pasquale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Man TFTPD
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:39:56 +0100

Is there the manual page of "tftpd". Inetd should have an explanation of it,
but it is not enough. Could someone send me a tip on how to find it?
Thanks

Please answer me by e-mail also.

--
Stefano Pasquale
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(* remove NOSPAM_ to answer me *)

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with LAN + PPP
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:58:42 +0100

==============0048DE2E84A448A77D22B2FD

I think you've got some IP addresses wrong, because 127.x.x.x ar all
loopback addresses.
So it is logical that you can reach services by pinggen on that local
machine.

Try using 192.168.x.x as ip addres ranges for internal use.
Ans 172.214.1.99 can't be a DNS server from a ISP since that is also a
loop back addres.

Raymond

Raymond

From: Martin Dworak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Cannot login to samba server
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:22:24 +0100

Mark Cooperstein schrieb:

> The problem most likely is due to the fact that Win98/WinNT and later releases
> of Win95 started using encrypted passwords.  Newer versions of SAMBA can
> accomodate this (don't know exactly which version off hand).  Look in
> /etc/smb.conf and look for "encrypt".  Also, there is a file in the Windows
> machines called network.txt found in c:\windows.  Look for "SAMBA" and it will
> tell you how to disable encrypted passwords in Windows.
>
> Mark
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, S
> P Arif Sahari Wibowo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I just begin to use samba, I setup samba using linuxconf, and I get to the
> >point where I can see the samba server icon in Windows' Network
> >Neighborhood. However, when I try to open the icon (with double-click it
> >or from Start->Run), I got a dialog box asking password (from Win95), or
> >login name & password (from NT).
> >
> >If I enter a login name which exist in the linux machine (whether it uniq
> >to the linux machine or not), Windows give this error:
> >
> >\\<server-name> is not accessible
> >The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.
> >
> >If I enter a login name uniq for the NT Domain, the samba server just
> >won't accept the password, wether it is true or not.
> >
> >Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> >Some info:
> >Linux Redhat 5.1: 2.0.34 #1 Fri May 8 16:05:57 EDT 1998 i586 unknown
> >linuxconf-1.13r1-1
> >samba-1.9.18p10-5
> >
> >Thank you!
> >
> >                                    S. P. Arif Sahari Wibowo
> >  _____  _____  _____  _____           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > /____  /____/ /____/ /____    http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/arifsaha
> >

> **  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

Just add the following DWORD registry entry(Win95):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Parameters
EnablePlainTextPassword=1

Winnt:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
EnablePlainTextPassword=1