Linux-Networking Digest #937, Volume #9          Tue, 19 Jan 99 09:14:00 EST

Contents:
  Re: What is pppd doing to my poor modem? (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Slower ppp connect time with Linux than with  Windows95? (Allan Olesen)
  Re: Pentium with CD -> 486 without (Peter Flinkfelt)
  DCHP transfer through Linux (Hans Somers)
  PPP disconnect ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: forwarding, masquerading, firewalling?????? (Luca Filipozzi)
  Re: HELP: virtual hosting, mail, pop3 (Erich Titl)
  Re: Importing NT user database (Peter W)
  Re: Changing passwords in Samba (Josh Rusko)
  Re: Mount WIN9x drive across LAN (Frank Hahn)
  Re: inetd (Loren Brookes)
  Re: DOES LINUX SUCK (Frank Sweetser)
  2.2.0-pre7, ppp, telnet ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help: sendmail hanging-up boot-up ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Why hangs the modem ? (Francesc Guasch)
  DNS Again.. (Jordy Leduc)
  COM1 PCMCIA Card (Andreas Reuter)
  Re: Sending a file to a remote machine's port (Elchonon Edelson)
  PPP and Diald ("Bruce Taber")
  Debian and netbase start/stop problems (Ruud van den Brink)
  tar to remote ftape (Charles E Cook)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: What is pppd doing to my poor modem?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 13:50:04 -0600

Stu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >Did you just plug the new modem and and things worked without any Linux
: >configuration changes?  If so then check such things as

: Yea, My modem init string is AT&F1 I like to keep it simple. I'm sure
: there's an AT command for it, and I was hoping if I knew what Linux was
: doing at time of error, I could figure out what the appropriate AT command
: string would be. Is it flow control? is it timing? I have no idea.

Try adding &K3 to the modem initialization string unless you are sure that
it's in the factory profile for the modem with fcs errors.  This enables
RTS/CTS flow control.  AT&V in minicom will show the profiles.

: >Modem AT command set profile not configured for hardware flow control
: >
: >Mismatched UART for modem speed capability
: How do I check this/ what does that mean?

It means that the UART your modem uses needs to be at capabable of keeping
up with the modem speed.  For a 28.8+ modem you need a 16550A UART and
an older 16450 with just a 1 byte internal buffer likely won't cut it.
In turn the 16550A is really not fast enough for a 128k ISDN connection.

: >Bad cable/connector/connection
: That I had checked.
: Thanks for your information and ideas, I'll keep looking, but if you have
: any more tips, I'd appreciate.

The other things I know about that might contribute to fcs error are the
absence of the pppd crtscts option, the absence of the asycnmap option
in certain cases, and (maybe) the presence of the "escape xx" option
in others.  These don't seem to fit your circumstances, where a plug-in
replacement modem cures the problem.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allan Olesen)
Subject: Re: Slower ppp connect time with Linux than with  Windows95?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:34:35 GMT

Ville Nummela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I don't think so.. It's much more likely that it's all due the way ppp is
>configured. Linux is probably configured to enter account names and
>passwords and stuff, and W95 just starts ppp as soons as it gets
>connected. With slow-as-hell -servers like the ISPs in Finland use the
>difference can be over 10 seconds. Quick test with one of them showed that
>if I configure my pppd to start right after "CONNECT" it has a working ppp
>connection in about 2 seconds, and if I have chat entering my account name
>and password and commands to start ppp on the server side it takes 5-20
>seconds. So the magic "trick" is to use the ua-option of pppd..

I use PAP under Linux as well as under Windows, so that should not
give any differences. It seems that most of the time is used for
preparing the modem for dialing, which comes prior to "CONNECT".

BTW:
I did a test with IpRoute under dos - 0.9 seconds. That feels fast.

--
Allan Olesen

"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."

------------------------------

From: Peter Flinkfelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium with CD -> 486 without
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:22:33 GMT

I have researched this myself for a Laptop, but the floppy drive
recently shit the bed. I did find that FreeBSD has a how-to type
document specically on this type of install. Check it out.

peter

------------------------------

From: Hans Somers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DCHP transfer through Linux
Date: 18 Jan 1999 20:38:58 GMT

Hello there,

I've setup a Linux box with 2 network cards (3Com ethernet and IBM
Tokenring).
Working through these cards works ok (i've setup the appropiate routes),
but here is my problem:

My DHCP-server is running on the Ethernet-segment.
I'd like to have the TokenRing machines getting their IP-addresses from
DHCP as well, without installing a DHCP-server on the TokenRing segment.

I've fumbled with ifadm but with no luck.
Here is (part) of my network:

ETHERNET     SYSTEM    TOKENRING
10.0.2.1     DHCP      none
10.0.2.1     SERVER1   none
10.0.2.51    CLIENT1   none
10.0.2.52    LINUX     10.0.3.52
none         CLIENT3   10.0.3.53

Connection from CLIENT3 to SERVER1 goes OK, but only if i
setup a fixed IP-addres.

TANX for any advice/help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PPP disconnect
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:00:26 GMT

I have PPP talking to my ISP under RedHat Linux. Everything seems to work
except....

If I don't use the connection fast enough (21/2-3 minutes), it disconnects.
However, if I use it for anything (ping, traceroute, ftp, telnet,...) it
seems to work as long as I am using it. Is there a timeout parameter
somewhere that I missed?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luca Filipozzi)
Subject: Re: forwarding, masquerading, firewalling??????
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:05:06 -0800

says...
> Thanks a lot.  So far in one day I have not been assigned a new ip address.  I
> will use the subnet method instead of having the dhcpc server calling the
> script.
>
> Two new problems:
> 1.  Last night, my LAN hosts were able to get on the net and web browse even
> though I could not ping to an internet host by name (I had to use the ip
> address).  Today, for some stupid reason, I can't even browse.  I can load up a
> web page by typing in the ip of the site, but that's it.  Something to do with
> nameservers I'm sure.  I didn't change anything on the windows-host (LAN) end,
> I'm sure.  I used tcpdump and saw that when netscape loaded up on a host on the
> LAN, NOTHING came through to either network card.  I just used tcpdump in
> default mode so it was supposed to see everything coming.  So for some reason
> netscape isn't even asking the linux machine to go look for things.  When I ping
> from a LAN host to something, like scf.usc.edu, tcpdump reports this:
> mindwalker.netbios-ns > 10.10.10.255.netbios-ns: udp 50
> and the overall ping doesn't work.  I don't know if these two issues pinging and
> web browsing) are related.
Are you running a nameserver? If so, this will turn into a whole other
discussion.

Or are you using your ISP's? Which will make life easier.

Step 1: Tell your Linux box and your LAN hosts to use your ISP's
nameserver. (You're paying the ISP for the right to use it!) On the linux
box, this is done with the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Step 2: Try to ping www.yahoo.com (or whatever) from the firewall. If it
resolves the name to an ip address, then the firewall's in business.

Step 3: Try to ping www.yahoo.com (or whatever) from one of the LAN
hosts. If it resolves the name to an ip address, then it's in business.
If it doesn't, use tcpdump on the firewall to see if the domain (name
resolution) packets are making it into and out of the firewall and back
again. If they aren't, then it isn't a name resolution problem but a
firewall problem. If they are, but ping doesn't work, do the same tcpdump
trick to see what's going on with the echo packets. Once you have all of
that working, trying surfing.

> 2.  Last night, when browsing was working, ICQ didn't work from the LAN hosts
> either.  I'm not sure if that's because of the nameserving problem or because of
> more involved proxy/firewall issues having to do with icq.
OK. Now you're onto the advanced stuff ;). ICQ uses a whole mess of ports
and stuff and doesn't like to be masqueraded. This is where masquerade
"helper" modules come in. For example, ip_masq_ftp helps ftp sessions
through a masquerading firewall and ip_masq_radio helps RealAudio(tm)
sessions through a masquerading firewall. The reason these "helper"
modules are required are a result of how a masquerading firewall tracks
currently active outbound connections and how it rewrites the packets as
they go out or come back in. (I won't go into detail.)
Suffice it to say that you need a module for icq. I don't know if one
exists and suggest you do a search. If one doesn't exist and you know the
port numbers that icq uses and you only want to have icq run from LAN
host, then you can use port forwarding.

Let me know and I'll try to help out.

--
Luca Filipozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Erich Titl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP: virtual hosting, mail, pop3
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:28:57 +0100

David Farber wrote:

> i am running RedHat 5.1 on a Pentium machine. i want to use the machine
> to do virtual hosting. i am primarily concerned with virtual web
> hosting, but i also need to provied email acounts for the domains i
> host. i need to know:
>
> 1) how to set up accounts on each of the virtual domains.

those are just local accounts on your linux box.

> 2) how to allow ftp access to these accounts

see above....

> 3) how to configure sendmail to route mail to these accounts

This is more tricky. to really handle all that you got to dig into
sendmail. The bat book gives you all the details and more, but essentially
you have to extend the range of domains your box accepts by using the
sendmail.cw file. Of course mail should be routed to your box first.

> 4) how to set up a pop3 server to access these accounts.

I used qpopper by Qualcomm. It is pretty easy to set up.

> i have been through the HOWTO archive, several books and several FAQs
> and could not find this information. any help or pointers to info would
> be greatly appreciated.

> david
>
> --
> david farber//change ronemun to numenor in my email address to reply

Good luck

Erich

--
THINK
Puentenstrasse 39

------------------------------

From: Peter W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Importing NT user database
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:44:26 -0500

Cherokee Health Systems wrote:

> Is there a way to import the NT user database from our PDC to our Linux box
> so we don't have to re-invent the wheel?  I am hoping to get an SMTP and POP
> server going in the building before my Net admin gets an Exchange server
> going.

Why not take a look at the various Samba/NT PAM modules?
          http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/modules.html

PAM is a layer of abstraction for user authentication; with the proper PAM
module, your POP3 daemon should be able to authenticate against the NT Primary
Domain Controller.

Good luck,

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Josh Rusko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing passwords in Samba
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:55:17 -0500

I don't know about through the windows gui, but you could run a http server
on the linux box and set up some kind of user-friendly form with a CGI
script on an intranet web page to change passwords...the http server's
pretty easy to set up if you don't already have it...as for the CGI, it
shouldn't be all that tough...I know my ISP uses a CGI password change page,
even if you're in a shell account and type "passwd" it uses lynx to go to
the page, so it would appear that this kind of system works well
someone probably knows an easier way so in that case just ignore me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: Mount WIN9x drive across LAN
Date: 19 Jan 1999 03:16:04 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:15:47 GMT, Dave Roznar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 20:54:43 -0500, "Eugene"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>My question is...can I mount the remote drives of the systems on my
>>>LAN without running NFS/Samba, etc. Can I just use the Win peer to
>>>peer setup ?  (I didn't think so)  :-)
>>

>>uhhm, that's what NFS and samba are for!!! (duh!)
>>

>As I had said, that is what I thought. Do I just install Samba on my
>Linux machine...or do I need it on Win 98 as well. I said before, I
>already have a working LAN.

I don't know who wrote what so I just left it all. :)

Samba is installed on only the Unix side.  This can either be Solaris,
Linux, or something else.  Samba makes the Unix machine appear to your
Windows machine as just another Windows machine.

After getting it set up, you can see your Linux files and directories
and you can share your Windows files and directories with the Linux
side.  You can also share drives, printers, etc.

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: Loren Brookes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: inetd
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:38:09 +1300

Peter W wrote:

> Loren Brookes wrote:
>
> > I have RedHat 5.2, everything works, but I get an error message in
> > /var/log/messages when connecting to ppp.
> >
> > localhost inetd[1208]: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > I don't have in.identd on my system, it is not part of the netkit-base
> > rpm, that has inetd, so what is this file, and do I need it ?
>
> identd does user-authentication, mainly for sendmail and IRC (authentication as
> in the other server asks your machine what user is trying to send them mail or
> connect to IRC). It's not a show-stopper, except maybe for IRC. Either install
> the "pidentd" package or comment out that line in inetd.conf and restart inetd.
>
> -Peter

 Thankyou

Loren

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOES LINUX SUCK
Date: 18 Jan 1999 23:10:13 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JamesLay) writes:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:05:37 -0500, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I don't think it sucks.....but it does have some quarky things to
> think of.  One off the top of my head is, for example, Samba.  It took
> a few to get it going...but look at the placement of the critical
> smb.conf file....../etc???  It seems like critical configuration files
> are just slapped anywhere.  Sure you can link them....but
> still....shouldn't the folks at Redhat have a ...shoot...a /config
> directory at least?

uh, /etc/ is the configuration directory.  in older unices, /etc/ was
indeed a dumping ground (random config files, binaries, shell scripts, etc
all stuck into there), but it's since been cleaned up considerably.  /etc/
holds config files, and usually the startup scripts as well (though some
systems (debian's only one i know of) put then in /sbin/).

> Lastly...is the Xwindows Kernel Deamon.  Redhat 5.1 says it can't fine
> the file and dumps out....I renemed the file and wham! got it.  I'm
> sure it's just a installation bug, but didn't anyone even try this
> out?  Gimme a break!

huh?  well, which are you refering to, X, the kernel, or a daemon?  they're
all seperate things.  exactly which file did you rename?  if it's X (the X
server binary) then you simply didn't have it configured properly.  the
config *should* have been run during install (it always is for me), but you
can run it afterwards yourself via Xconfigurator or xf86config.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 2.2.0-pre7, ppp, telnet
Date: 18 Jan 1999 17:29:09 -0500

Hi all,

I am almost completely successfully using the 2.2.0-pre7 kernel.  The
one problem left is one that seems more like a networking issue than a
kernel issue, though.  Before I describe it, let me say that I am
using Debian 2.0.2, with a few later packages.  All software versions
specified by the kernel upgrade notes are in place.

I make a successful ppp connection with slirp over a telnet connection
from an intermediate machine (local call).  This connection works
perfectly well for ftp.  It also works perfectly well for telnet _when
I specify port 23_ -- otherwise I get nowhere at one site, or as far
as a login prompt at another.  I can also telnet successfully to port
25.  Lynx and netscape get as far as waiting for data from a remote
site.  Ping doesn't get any packets through, but works fine to
localhost.  The output of route and ifconfig look fine to me.

FWIW, everything still works fine when I boot my 2.0.34 kernel.  I
know that slirp might not be happy running over a telnet connection.
It strikes me that something in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 might need
changing.

Any ideas?  Many thanks in advance,

Ben

remove fish disease to send email

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help: sendmail hanging-up boot-up
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:55:50 GMT

Hi all,

Having managed to configure connection via PPP, sendmail now hangs up, when
started in the boot-up sequence, for about a minute. After logging in, if I
run sendmail, after hanging up for about a minute, gives the message:
root:... Recipient names must be specified.

I went thru the files listed in the man, but could not work out the fault.
(sendmail.cf is horribly complex for me!). I tried erasing re-installing
using rpm but no joy. I guess the fault is in some other file in the system
but could not figure out reading the man pages.

Thanks in advance. Also for the advice on running PPP from the console - it
worked!

Regards

Neoklis Kyriazis   My RiscOS Homepage: http://www.arcsite.de/hp/neoklis
Radio Ham: 5B4AZ

From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why hangs the modem ?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:06:50 +0100

I have ppp-2.3.5. I have a script that launches the ppp
connection.
I have tried to add the idle option like this in the
/usr/sbin/ppp-go file.

My problem is that the modem hangs very soon, in the
very begining of the connection, reading or sending
mail it stops.

How can I know if is my modem that hangs or the one
in the other side ?

Is the idle option safe ?

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie
 ^-^.-----,

------------------------------

From: Jordy Leduc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DNS Again..
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:53:36 -0500

Hello Again.

I can't seem to get DNS working on Linux with named 8.1.2. I have done
it with Named 4.x and on a HP box, anybody willing to let me know what
the heck I am missing here.

I do a Dig and I get this... Should I not get a result to this???
Let me know if anybody wants to take a look at the files..

Thanks

Jordy Leduc

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> linix.bogus.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      linix.bogus.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
linix.bogus.com.        3D IN SOA       linix.bogus.com. root.bogus.com.
(
                                        1997021901      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        30M             ; retry
                                        5w6d16h         ; expiry
                                        3D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 111 msec
;; FROM: linix.bogus.com to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 21 00:49:34 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 83

[root@linix log]#

------------------------------

From: Andreas Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: COM1 PCMCIA Card
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:23:26 +0100

Hi,

I own a sony vaio 505G which runs Linux pretty well. Now I thought about
the COM1 MC220 PCMCIA Card (4in1 Card) to use for Ethernet.

Does anybody run this Card with Ethernet Kit under Linux ??? (The analog
Modem part works great).
--
Cu Andy

 //      E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        \\

------------------------------

From: Elchonon Edelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sending a file to a remote machine's port
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:53:06 GMT

Chris Severn wrote:

<SNIP!>
> OK, so I'm replying to my own post, but I've just fixed my problem.
> If anyone has an answer to why my previous attempt didn't work though,
> I'd still be very interested.
>
> I looked though a sample sockets program, and found that it actually
> is very easy.  I just wrote a "C" program which opens up a socket at
> the desired site and port, and proceeds to read and write whatever
> data I like, without using telnet.
>
> I posted the program to my website http://www.iinet.net.au/~severn
> Just in case anyone's interested.

netcat. Ships with RedHat 5.2 as the package named "nc", but its been
around for a long long time. I think that the source can be found on
the l0pht website.

you'd do something like "cat file | nc -w1 remotehost port".
Its just a shame nobody pointed you to it before.

Search for the word "netcat" on www.l0pht.com turns up
http://www.l0pht.com/~weld/netcat/index.html, announcing
their release of an NT port of the program. Also has links
to the original source in compressed tar format, and an
HTMLized version of the netcat README file, which is quite
a good users manual. The source also includes a bunch of
shell scripts that use nc to implement demo tools, such
as a minimalist web browser written in about 150 lines of
shellcode.

--
Elchonon Edelson        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IntelliSoft Corp.       http://isoft.com/

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Taber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP and Diald
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:15:57 -0500

Anybody have any clues about what the magic incantation is to get diald to
route correctly? The connection is a dynamic one to a standard ISP. I have
pppd calling and connecting to the ISP just fine manually. The route gets
set and all of my lan machines can get out on the internet. When diald is
started the modem dials out, connects, and logs in but the routing is not
correct. It appears that the defaultroute that diald is installing blocks
pppd from putting in the new dynamic route.

Here is the /etc/diald.conf file:

mode ppp
dynamic
local 192.168.0.3
remote 192.168.0.4
reroute
defaultroute
device /dev/ttyS1
connect /etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-on
modem
speed 115200
lock
 crtscts
include /user/lib/diald/standard.filter

Here is the /etc/ppp/options file:

debug
noipdefault

The ppp-on script file has the line:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug \
    asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
    netmask $NETMASK connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

If the following command is used manually without the diald functionality
the system routing works great.

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 115200 \
    asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
    noipdefault netmask $NETMASK connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

Any help or guidance on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruud van den Brink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Debian and netbase start/stop problems
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:42:13 GMT

Hi Folks,

When i boot my system, everything works fine. Then I enter:

/etc/init.d/netbase stop
/etc/init.d/netbase start

Now i can't connect to any TCP port anymore. No telnet. No FTP. No
Samba. Nothing. InetD refuses any connection. My logfile:

Jan 18 23:16:43 stress inetd[24328]: bump_nofile: cannot extend file
limit, max
= 24
Jan 18 23:16:43 stress last message repeated 5 times
Jan 18 23:16:43 stress inetd[24328]: netbios-ns/udp: unknown service
Jan 18 23:16:43 stress inetd[24328]: socks/tcp: unknown service
Jan 18 23:16:43 stress inetd[24328]: swat/tcp: unknown service
Jan 18 23:17:27 stress inetd[24331]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:20:19 stress inetd[24339]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:20:38 stress inetd[24340]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:20:44 stress inetd[24341]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:20:53 stress inetd[24343]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:21:01 stress inetd[24347]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:21:12 stress inetd[24348]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:22:49 stress inetd[24350]: getpwnam: root: No such user
Jan 18 23:22:57 stress init: Switching to runlevel: 6
Jan 18 23:22:58 stress inetd[24353]: getpwnam: root: No such user

So far, there are two problems. netbios-ns, socks and swat are all in
the services file. The user root exists ofcourse. The very strange
thing is, that a system reboot will get everything to work, even
samba, even swat and even socks.

Does somebody have any idea?

Ruud.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Cook)
Subject: tar to remote ftape
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:03:21 GMT

Well I am somewhat stumped and need some direction.
I have two boxes, one running the SuSE 5.3
release and the other Slackware 3.4 or so.
I have them networked together using ethernet.
On the Slackware box I have an Eagle Travan-3 internal floppy tape drive.
All I want to be able to do is to tar some files to the tape drive from the
SuSe box to the tape on the Slackware box.
I have minimized security by putting in .rhosts and  even hosts.equiv files
yet I still get permission denied messages.
I have the latest ftape module up and working and all other
network stuff runs great (NFS, rsh, etc.)

I have tried the commands tar -cvf hostname:/dev/qft0 filename and
tar -cvf user@hostname:/dev/qft0 filename.

Everyone has rw permissions on this device.

A pointer to a faq or how-to would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck C