From: Victor Sturgeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 pppd 2.3.5 server problem
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:42:36 -0600

Recently I've been attempting to setup a ppp linux server
so I can dial
into a tcpip and ipx network. Originally I was using
Redhat 5.1 and the
tcpip ppp connections where working fine, and only IPX
was causing a
problem.

So I thought I'd upgrade to RedHat 5.2, It uses pppd
2.3.5. I configured
everything as it was on the 5.1 box. I use mgetty for the
modem which is
a USR robotics 14400 external fax modem.

When I dial into the server from a win98 client, I seem
to connect and
then send the id and password. then the negotiation does
nothing for
about a minute and disconnects.

Heres the output from my system message log.
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv mgetty[791]: data dev=ttyS0,
pid=791,
caller='none', conn='14400/ARQ/V32/LAPM/V42BIS', name='',
cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv pppd[791]: pppd 2.3.5 started by
a_ppp, uid 0
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to 70000
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to 70000
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set
xasyncmap
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit
asyncmap
ffffffff
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to 70000
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to
5dc
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv
asyncmap ffffffff

Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to 70000
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv pppd[791]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 20 23:14:54 pppserv pppd[791]: Connect: ppp0 <-->
/dev/ttyS0
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
25 bytes, flags
= f070000
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
22 bytes, flags
= f070000
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
20 bytes, flags
= f070000
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit
asyncmap a0000
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to f070003
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to
5dc
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv
asyncmap ffffffff

Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags
to f070003
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
23 bytes, flags
= f070003
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv PAM_pwdb[791]: (ppp) session
opened for user
vsturgeo by (uid=0)
Jan 20 23:14:57 pppserv pppd[791]: user vsturgeo logged
in
Jan 20 23:15:00 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
23 bytes, flags
= f070003
Jan 20 23:15:24 pppserv last message repeated 8 times
Jan 20 23:15:27 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
6 bytes, flags
= f070003
Jan 20 23:15:30 pppserv kernel: ppp: successfully queued
6 bytes, flags
= f070003
Jan 20 23:15:37 pppserv kernel: ppp: channel ppp0
closing.
Jan 20 23:15:37 pppserv pppd[791]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jan 20 23:15:46 pppserv pppd[791]: write: warning:
Input/output error(5)

Jan 20 23:15:46 pppserv pppd[791]: write: warning:
Input/output error(5)

Jan 20 23:15:46 pppserv pppd[791]:
ioctl(PPPIOCSASYNCMAP): Input/output
error(5)
Jan 20 23:15:47 pppserv pppd[791]: Exit.

It seems to go bad after the login apprently works.

I'm at a loss.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this pppd
program running on
redhat 5.2 so I can set up a dialin ppp server?

Please don't tell me to read the readmes, been there,
done that. I need
some real help from someone with experience at this kind
of thing.

--
Victor Sturgeon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:39:22 -0500
From: David Ison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba setup

smb:    /etc/smb.conf    It's somewhat self-documenting.

nfs:    I use linuxconf for nfs-admin.

Sounds like you will also need to use smbmount.

--

David Ison
Sysadmin, PCCI

Remove .unspam for replies

------------------------------

From: Jon Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Does Linux Networking Suck So Badly ? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:13:16 -0600

I take serious issue with this message for it's lack of merit.  *ANY* OS
is going to have its fair share of problems and issues.  He makes it
sound like Win95/98/NT are completely free of issues, that configuring
them for anything that he might want them to do is painless, and that
they never do anything unexpected or fail in the slightest.  This cannot
be any further from the truth.  Win95/98/NT have their issues.  One of
them is stability.  Another is the lack of decent administrative tools.
Now it sounds like this guy does not like command-line configuration.
Might I introduce him to a wonderful company callled Red Hat Softtware?
What a concept!  Graphical configuration tools for Linux that will do
most everything that a novice user/admin would need to do!  These tools
fall far short of what their command line equivalants can do, but they're
there and they work.  Once you actually get networking working, you can
install a wonderful utility called Webmin, which allows you to administer
the machine from any machine connected to the network.  Now if this
machine is connected to the Internet, the possibilities are endless.  Say
a user forgets his password.  With NT, you have to buy expensive software
such as pcAnywhere, Carbon Copy, or something of the like to take remote
control of the local keyboard and mouse.  With Linux with Webmin, you
have two options:  you can either telnet to the machine, su to root and
change the password, OR you can change the password with Webmin (assuming
that you can't type "passwd <user>", Webmin might be the better route).
The former is a text-based way, and the quickest way to do that.  With
the latter, you have to fire up a browser, point to the remote host and
port, type in the username and password, wait for all the pretty pictures
to load, click on the appropiate option, click on the appropiate user,
then change the radio button to "Plain Text", then type the password and
press OK.  Which one of these sounds easier (not to mention more secure,
you could use ssh for the remote shell connection)?

As for the argument that you can't just install Linux and make it work in
twenty miniutes:  Windows was designed for no-brainer idiots to install
and configure.  A Linux distribution can be made much the same - example
Caldera OpenLinux, Red Hat, etc.  Generally, if a business wants to use
Linux, they will hire or already have a competent administrator for the
system.  I *do not* advocate Linux as an end-user computing platform,
outside of the technical community.  This is because of the amount of
training/trial and error, whatever, required for someone that I can hire
off the street to get working correctly and maintain.  However, for the
aforementioned reasons and many more, Linux makes an excellent server
platform.   It is reliable, robust, and can do just about anything.

From: "Kyle Bowerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c509
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:25:40 -0700

Try umounting your CDROM and floppy
it sounds like you installation is looking for a kernal on the floppy or
CDROM

Kyle

------------------------------

From: Shawn Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:08:56 GMT

Howdy Chris,

I'm sending one more e-mail to make sure our stuff is getting through now.  You
cna just ignore this.

Cheers,
Shawn

------------------------------

From: Thing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,redhat.general,nz.comp
Subject: Re: linux newbie question
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:09:43 +1300

run a port scan and kill all the services you do not need like telnet, ftp,
sendmail etc. if you visit www.kascha.ml.org and read notes on red hat that
will hopefully help you.

Thing

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: DOES LINUX SUCK
Date: 20 Jan 1999 23:09:14 -0600

In article <785ppc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>you dont get even a simple point.
>
>the point is not that there are 20 tools to do what I want. The point
>is that these tools are not integrated into one complete system where
>the user does not need to know which particular tool to use at any one
>time. but tell the system what they need, and the system can go figure
>which tools to use.

In other words you want someone to take your choices away.  I guess
there is no accounting for taste.  The point of the unix tools approach
is that all of the tools automatically include all the others.  You
just sometime have to type their names in an order that no one but
you might ever anticipate.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Masilamany Raguparan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DEC Tulip / NS8390
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:41:55 +0800

Hello,

Like to know some 10/100 NICs (make+model) that are based on either Tulip
or NS 8390 chips. Appreciate your reply.

Regards
Ragu
======================================
Masilamany Raguparan
Kent Ridge Digital Labs [Ubiquity Lab]
21 Heng Mui Keng Terrace
Singapore 119613
Tel. (65) 874 4302
Fax. (65) 774 4990

------------------------------

From: "p.wojcieszak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Botting diskless SPARCstation off redhat5.2 unsuccessfull...please help
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:39:19 +1100

PROBLEM:
A diskless SPARCstation ELC will not boot of redhat 5.2.....

PRECISE DEFINITETION:
The tftp protocol works ok and sparc station downloads the bootimage of
linux bootparamd
without any problems...ARP, domainame calls etc are all successfull....
Eventually the Sparc Station mounts the directory off the linux server !

It then attempts to download a kernel file(486kb large)......
NFS READ TIMEOUT ERROR occurs...

Upon checking out the network traffic.....It seems that the linux box
sends the packets too
quickly for the poor sparc station...and the overrun
occurs.............Upon linux sending 5  packets
the sparc requests a retransmission of the entire block.

My feeling is that Linux NFS BLOCK_SIZE is by default set to 8192
bytes....BUT for some reason
upon sending that block to the client,  the NFS_SERVER chops the block
size into 1024 b blocks!
.....Thus when the NFS server sends the 1024 byte blocks  , it expects
each in turn to be acknowledged......It seems that the sparc diskless
client is not expecting 1024b blocks....It expects
the whole 8192 block....!!!! And thus does not reconstruct the block
correctly and requests a timeout.

HELP:
Am I on the right track?
What can I do....how can I force linux NFS to produce 8K block
sizes....?
btw...please remember that this problem is specifically related to
diskless sparc stations....

If you can help , it would be most appreciated....I am sick to death of
hacking and recompiling
the NFS code!   This is a really bad problem!

HARDWARE INFO:
server:Linux Dell 3500 series , redhat 5.2 server, 256M ram , single
P2-350,Ami megaraid (raid 5 conf)3-scsii 9.5 gig drives.... PCI ETHERNET
intel express pro 100mbits
client: ELC sparc station, 10 Mbit connection

client-server path:   100/10 bay networks  hub/switch.

thanks
paul.     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (shin, dong shik)
Subject: PORT 110 Connection refused !!
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:04:27 GMT

Hi,

When I telnet to localhost at 110 pop3 port, my linux box return this:

trying 127.0.0.1

I dont know why and how to fix it. Really I have no ideas where to
check from the first..!!
please help me...

---
/etc/hosts.deny:
  ALL: ALL

/etc/hosts.allow:
  ALL: LOCAL @my.domain.name

/etc/inetd:
  pop2 ... ... ... /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop2d
  pop3 ... ... ... /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d
  imap   ... ... ... /usr/sbin/tcpd imapd

I think those setting will be ok, but...

Thanks in advance...
shin, dong shik

---
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wee Moose)
Subject: Total Beginners Internet Connection Question
Date: 22 Jan 1999 06:49:14 GMT

Ok, I am a total beginner, but I am going to set up a trial Linux network and
may expand it to the rest of my lab.  I am used to a token ring Novell network.

I have the following to set up as the trial server:

1 IBM Netfinity 3500 server-brand new, has built in network, sound, cd, only
one PII at this time.
2. 5 IBM and compatibles running W/95 all w10/100bt cards
3. 1 33k ISA internal modem

I Currently have no hubs, this is because I am somewhat confused.

Is there a way to put the modem on the server and have the server dial up the
ISP at hourly intervals to exchange E-mail?

Can I set the server to dial out only when someone wants to surf the web?  How
many users can use the dialup at a time?

I have to share the line w/a fax machine, so that needs to be accessable at odd
times during the day.

Thanks for helping,

Carl Bogardus, Technology Instructor/Coordinator
Teachers' Page at http://members.aol.com/index.html
Chaparral Middle School
http://www.homeworkheaven.com/schools/chaparral
Remove junkbloc from address to e-mail me.

------------------------------

From: Jason Hurder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:19:36 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> More to the point, there's Hundreds of folks with similar problems ( Go to
> www.dejanews.com - Do a search
> for "LINUX tcgetattr" )
>
> With this kind of problems, on a stable release of the O/S, with a supported
> product, it makes me really wonder
> "Does LINUX SUCK ?"

I only installed it cause I like the screensavers. J/K. I am in my Junior year
of computer science, which equates to basically really understanding how
recursion works. This year we have to use UNIX as opposed to Win9x. If you are a
programmer, and are accustomed to a Win Visual product, such as the Visual
Studio 6, and haven't used UNIX before, UNIX looks very intimidating, i.e - gcc,
g++, and gdb + others. However, in my experience, after using these products,
and having total control of the operating environment, I really can't see ever
using Windows programming environment again. Read as much as possible is my
suggestion, it will make sense in the end. BEst book IMHO: UNIX for the
Impatient, I live by it.

Peace,
    Jason

------------------------------

From: "Andrew C. Ohnstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP help
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:19:28 -0500

Ziae wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I am a new user and am trying to connect Win95 and Linux PC's to connect
>via Ethernet using TCP/IP. Can someone point me in the right direction
>for getting some documentation? I can't even ping either machines!

I was stumped for like 12 hours over a messed up subnetwork mask.  Quadrupe
check all your settings...

What are the linux and win boxes ip's and subnets set to?

------------------------------

From: "Benny K.Y. Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Info for Mac-printing using Netatalk needed
Date: 22 Jan 1999 06:16:23 GMT

hi,

    Can somebody provide me with sites that contain information about
Macintosh printing on Linux machines using Netatalk? And generally
printer setup information for Linux is also needed.

thanks!
Benny

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux-Linux networking problem
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:07:31 +0100

Jesse Hughes wrote:

> This really looks like hardware problems to me, but remember that all
> of this works fine when machine 2 is running Win95.

I've seen hardware problems behaving differently depending upon the
operating system installed.

The machine behaved differently, depending upon if win95, win311, or
linux was running.

So the fact that it runs under win95 doesn't really say anything.

I would definitly check especially the cables.

Have you tried swapping NIC's, cables, hub port, etc. etc. etc?

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: "rbrewer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with Internet Connection.
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:07:15 -0500

Start your X window.
Click on the modem icon in the control panel and set it to the correct
serial port (/dev/cua0, /dev/cua1, /dev/cua2 or /dev/cua3) for your modem.
Open the networking icon in the control box, click on devices, click add,
select PPP. Fill in the information required (ISP phone number, login name,
password). Save and return to the listing of devices. Where you see the new
device (ppp), highlight it and click on "activate". It should dial your ISP
and connect. You will then have to open your browser (Netscape or Mosaic) to
browse the internet. There is a box in the ppp setup where you can modify
the script for connecting if this doesn't work the first time.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buck)
Subject: Re: Dial-in to Linux PC.
Date: 22 Jan 1999 06:40:42 GMT

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:46:47 -0000, mcv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,
: I would like to be able to dial-in to my Linux PC.  Using something like
: HyperTerminal or a PPP connection so I can run stuff on it like I was using
: it through telnet.
: Anyone gotta idea on how to do this?

Mgetty works the best for this. It receives faxes or provides a login
prompt to a dial-in. Start it from /etc/inittab per instructions. You
can also transfer files easily using the lrzsz package. This uses the
zmodem or xmodem protocols. Definitely use zmodem.

I use this setup regularly. Never a problem as long as you use the lock
option in /etc/ppp/options when sharing the modem with pppd. Also,
specify the same devicename for all modem programs, e.g. /dev/ttyS1.

--
Suggestion Box:
 To make Usenet more efficient and easier to read,