Linux-Networking Digest #427, Volume #10          Mon, 8 Mar 99 21:13:50 EST

Contents:
  Re: init script for sshd? (RedHat 5.2 Linux) (Howard Owen)
  Re: Which SMP Motherboard? (BL)
  Re: IP Masqurading problem (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: Help with external IDSN pls (childsplay)
  Re: Disk Mirroring ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  help setting up network (ben)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (childsplay)
  redhat 5.2 + samba (Tomasz Lukasiak)
  Re: portforwarding installation problem (JamesLay)
  Asus P2B-DS all the way... (Todd Schrubb)
  How to telnet .... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Should I try Linux? (bklimas)
  Re: Largest File on the System (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Icon in Network Neighbourhood ("Jaze")
  Re: Win95 not working with IP masquerading? (Rick Onanian)
  Re: Delay during ppp connection with provider (Andrzej Filip)
  Re: ethernet dec21143 problems ("Peck R. Wood")
  Monitoring network traffic (Ralf Wiegand)
  DHCP and resolv.conf ("Erik-Jan Sinke")
  Compex RL100ATX (Arturas)
  [Q] ssh through firewall errors? (Darren Evers)
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2??? (Colin)
  Re: SAMBA in NT domain ("Thomas Horan")
  IP Masquerade speed ("Sylvain Côté")

From: Howard Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: init script for sshd? (RedHat 5.2 Linux)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:06:53 GMT

==============1A57E2FC5F39AE1D98625C9B

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Has anybody written a "System V style" startup script (for init.d) for
> sshd? (I'm using RedHat 5.2 Linux) I've copied and modified RedHat's
> rwhod script, but I'm not sure whether stopping will always work
> correctly (because unlike rwhod, there can be several sshd processes
> running if people are currently logged in that host with ssh).
>
> --
> Georg Schwarz     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
> Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Here's a chkconfig compatible startup script I hacked together. As rot, save it in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd, chmod it 750 and then do a chkconfig --add sshd and
chkconfig sshd on.

===========================Cut Here=====================================

#!/bin/sh
#
# chkconfig: 345 91 35
#              used to provide encrypted network access

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

# Check that sshd_config exists.
[ -f /etc/sshd_config ] || exit 0

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting SSH daemon: "
        daemon sshd
        echo
        touch /var/lock/subsys/sshd
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Shutting down SSH daemon: "
        killproc sshd
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/shd
        echo ""
        ;;
  status)
        status sshd
        ;;
  restart)
        echo -n "Restarting SSH daemon: "
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        echo "done."
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: sshd {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
esac
==============1A57E2FC5F39AE1D98625C9B

begin:vcard
n:Owen;Howard
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CliniComp, Intl.;Software Management Group
adr:version:2.1;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Engineer
fn:Howard Owen
end:vcard

==============1A57E2FC5F39AE1D98625C9B==

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Which SMP Motherboard?
Date: 8 Mar 1999 20:10:13 GMT

the only one worth running: the asus p2b series.

solid as a rock.

(also running modified dual celerons, o/c @ 450 apiece) ;-)

kernel 2.2.2 make -j2 time: under 2 minutes.  mmmm - nice ;-)

In comp.os.linux.networking Hefin James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Hi all,

: I'm currently specifying a machine for a major Linux based server
: project.
: Has anybody using the Intel L440GX+ motherboard?
: It has a Adaptec AIC7896 U2W and UW channels, and a graphics card on
: board, which is supported by Linux.

: It also has Intel EtherExpress PRO 100+ chip onboard but it uses the
: Intel 82559 chip which is not mentioned in the eepro100.c driver. Has
: anybody else got this card? and more importantly does it work?

: What SMP motherboard you running?

: Cheers,
: Hefin

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masqurading problem
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:27:39 +0000

What is your setup?  Are you ppp'ing to ISP?  If so is
resolv.conf setup?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com (no Spam)>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help with external IDSN pls
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:24:32 -0600

Thnk you very much

--
Charles "childsplay" VanDyke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Disk Mirroring
Date: 9 Mar 1999 00:42:40 GMT

You can always dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb if you don't want to bother
with a hot mirror.. Just run it once a night.. or twice ..
Works for me, hell it even works when I use dd and make a copy of the HD
on a remote computer:

dd if=/dev/sda | rsh remotehost cat > /dev/sdb
--
It's nice having Multiple Personalities!        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.infinex.com/~gman                    Keeper of       Bay Area

------------------------------

From: ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help setting up network
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:42:02 -0600

Hi,

I've been using Linux for awhile now, but never on a LAN.  I'm currently
trying to configure a linux box on my network, but I haven't the
slightest clue as to how to setup this up.

I'm using a Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter with Slackware Linux
with kernel 2.0.36

Thanks,
Ben

------------------------------

From: childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com (no Spam)>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:13:58 -0600

Thank you :)

From: Tomasz Lukasiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat 5.2 + samba
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:45:14 -0500

hello,

    i've been trying to use the smbclient that came with the rpm
installation of redhat 5.2.  the first time i ran it, smbclient
complained about not finding /etc/lmhosts, so i created one with the
following format:

ip    name    name.domain

however, i don't want to map the ip to each computer i want to connect
to manually, because many of these are dynamically asigned from a
DHCP server.  what is the correct way to set up samba so that it
automatically "knows" the ip of the computer i want to connect to?
should i just get the source code and compile everything according to
the programmer's instructions or is there a way to do this with my rpm
package?

thanks for any help,
tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JamesLay)
Subject: Re: portforwarding installation problem
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:06:31 GMT

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 05:53:27 +0200, "Ovidiu Dressler"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A bit off topic maybe, but I searched and searched for portforwarding
and couldn't find it anywhere.  Any chance you could point me in the
right direction?  Thanks!

JamesLay

------------------------------

From: Todd Schrubb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Asus P2B-DS all the way...
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:05:52 -0500

I must second the motion.... I've got two overclocked celerons in there
too- but one is a piece 'O crap so I'm only up to 375MHz.  The AIC7xxx
works like a charm under v2.2.1, not to mention SMP.

Good luck with the choice...

Todd Schrubb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to telnet ....
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:20:52 GMT

Hi,.

Dear the only possibilty I see to telneting as root on remote machine
is by assigning an user id of 131072 to root ( which is deemed by
kernel as uid 0 ) and by PAM authentication protocol as normal user
trying to telnet from outside ..

ciao
¯ sandy

--
 Sandeep K. Srivastava
 Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.

------------------------------

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should I try Linux?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:54:18 GMT

"H.A" wrote:

> Hi:
>     In my house there are 4 computers. One is a P166/32MB and the other 3
> are all PII266. I would like to set up internet access for the entire house
> using the P166 as the server.
>
>     I can do this now with win95/98 and an add on Network Address Translator
> program called Winroute. The program is great but only 2 problems. It is
> shareware and limited to only 4 users. (of course another problem is that it
> runs on the windows platform, hehe)
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Does linux have all I need within the operating system to be able to do
> without buying add-ons?
> 2. Would it be worth it to learn how to do this on Linux?
> 3. Can anyone point me to a good concise source of info on how to set up
> such a network?
>
> Hearty thank yous all around!
> Hisham

Hi. I don't know if it is worth learning Linux for you, it definitely
was worth the trouble for me.

Once you have some basic understanding of Linux it is easy to do what you
want.

Check our family homepage to see how we have done it:

http://www.magma.ca/~bklimas/FAQ.htm#masquerading

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Stan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Largest File on the System
Date: 8 Mar 1999 18:44:35 -0600

James Cook ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a rampant log file or temp file consuming all of my disk space. Being a
: novice, I desperately looked for a command that would search subdirectories for
: files larger than 1MB. I found "find" that has a -size switch that is
: particularly useless (at least for this task). It only returns files that are
: equivalent to the size you pass in, not greater than (or less than).

Try -size +1000k - this should show files greater than 1 mbyte.  This is
explained in the find man pages under the section titled TESTS.

You can also look for log files in /var/log .

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* 97.3% of all statistics are made up. */

------------------------------

From: "Jaze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Icon in Network Neighbourhood
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:41:30 -0800

M. Buchenrieder wrote in message ...

>>I haven't finished configuring my samba config yet but I do know that ping
>>has nothing to do with whether or not samba is running.
>
>Well, not directly. However, both services are based upon TCP/IP. If
>"ping" fails, Samba will as well.

True.  I was just trying to point out that if ping is not dependent upon
samba, that's all.

>>Ping simply has to
>>do with TCP/IP.  Most servers have a service running which responds to a
>>specific type of TCP/IP packet.  Samba, uses a protocol
>
>NetBIOS over TCP/IP

>>(developed my
>>Microsoft long ago)
>
>No. This has nothing to do with MS crap at all. You're confusing
>NetBIOS and NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a MS-invented protocol for small
>networks. NetBIOS isn't.

I was not aware of what specific protocol samba uses but I had read that
samba mimics things like NT and Lan Manager.  That's why I assumed this.

Thanks for the info though.  Learn something different every day...

-J

------------------------------

From: Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win95 not working with IP masquerading?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:39:00 -0500

Swindbert von und zur Waffel wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a cable modem and three PCs. One of those is my masquerading box.
> It has one NIC and the IP that I've got from my cable provider.
> Everything is connected to just one hub. I've simply put ipfwadm -F -p
> masquerade since I only have one NIC in the masquerading gateway. Now,
> on my working PC I have installed Linux and Win95. For both OSes I made
> the very same network settings (some intranet IP and the masquerading
> box as gateway). Why does Linux work and why does Win95 NOT work with
> the same settings? Where is the difference? What do I need to change?

You need to make sure that the IPs you're using are reserved private
IPs. Then, try a differant set of reserved IPs. Someone else on your
cable subnet may be doing the same thing as you, with the same IP.

Then, make sure you have the windows box set up to use the DNS servers
your cable company provided, as well as any others you choose. Also, in
the windows setup, check the "Domain Suffix Search Order", host, and
domain - sometimes Windows gets picky about those, especially that first
one.

You may also have to add some more ipfwadm rules or play some other way
with ipmasq. I seem to remember there being specific addresses
specified.

Do you have your gateway's card aliased correctly? If so, did you up
the second interface? I would assume so, b/c your linux machine works..

> Be it Linux or Win95 running my main PC the little network consisting of
> those three PCs and the cable modem is working perfectly alright - as
> long as it does not come to the masquerading issue!
>
> The masquerading box is a 386SX, 8MB with the Linux Router Project
> minidistribution (2.0.36). Don't laugh at that poor old SX - it's doing
> a very good job!

That old SX requires no pity - it's happy to have something to do other
than rot! I have the same setup - 386/8mb/lrp no HD, no fan, no moving
parts whatsoever. Yesterday I took it out of the case, mounted the
motherboard, PS, and floppy drive to a plastic rack, and now it's
wall-mounted and takes up no space.. :)

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
===============

------------------------------

From: Andrzej Filip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Delay during ppp connection with provider
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:53:45 +0100

Wilco Jansen wrote:

> I use an Teles 16.3 ISDN adapter for making an ppp network connection to my
> provider. I've configured sendmail and fetchmail to retrieve my mail from my
> provider automaticaly at specified intervals. There's a litte problem when i
> start for example sendmail with te command "sendmail -q". My system makes an
> connection to my provider, but the command failes the first time. When i
> execute the command during an existing connection, everything works fine.
> This problem exists for all services i use (http, nntp etc.) when no
> connection is made.
>
> Can someone help me?

Try to use "demand" option in your ppp configuration.
It will make ppp interface stay on all the time but
ISDN connection will be on demand.

AFAIK it requires the same remote IP every time.

sendmail fix:
Turn on DialDelay in /etc/sendmail.cf
O DialDelay=15s

--
"Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://homestead.dejanews.com/user.anfi/files/sm_index.htm

From: "Peck R. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ethernet dec21143 problems
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:20:22 GMT

==============E4EC1CB2CEC13A08F9D5FC50

I had trouble loading the tulip driver as a module.  I made a kernel
with it though and it worked after that. I'm using slackware3.6 which
uses the 2.0.35 kernel.  The box is a DEC Celebris GL 6200.  I had it
running on the 2.0.30 kernel too.  Get the latest drivers and build a
kernel with it.  I got them at:

ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers

I also had an odd problem with 2 network cards installed.  The tulip
wouldn't work until I put the other card on the same network with it.
After that I could change the other card to any IP and the tulip would
continue to work.

asdf wrote:

> I'm having problems in getting my network card to work.  Red Hat 5.0 detects
> it as a "tulip," though I never actually tried to get to work on RH. In
> Slackware, I can't insert the tulip module, and the de4x5 will insert but I
> get an "uninitialized" message with "lsmod."  How can I get my card
> initialized.  It's a built-in card, it's supposed to be DEC21143 based.
==============E4EC1CB2CEC13A08F9D5FC50

begin:vcard
n:R. Wood;Peck R. Wood
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Peck R. Wood R. Wood
end:vcard

From: Ralf Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Monitoring network traffic
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:35:21 -0500

==============746360B0CE19456CF6D2CD54

Hello all -
I have a large network with many different systems,
hp9000,Sun's,linux,NT etc... . We are looking for a USED Fluke
Enterprise LANMeter Model 686.  I'm not sure were I could find any
information in regards to USED Fluke hardware.  Please, if someone can
point me in the right direction, it would really help out.

Thank You
Ralf Wiegand

==============746360B0CE19456CF6D2CD54

begin:          vcard
fn:             Ralf Wiegand
n:              Wiegand;Ralf
org:            Hourglass Systems, Inc
adr:            4 Fritz Blvd;;;Albany;New York;12205;US
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Senior Field Engineer
tel;work:       518.452.9062
tel;fax:        518.452.2824
tel;home:       n/a
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: "Erik-Jan Sinke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCP and resolv.conf
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:25:30 +0100

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how I can prevent the DHCP client from modifying my
/etc/resolv.conf file? I´ve set up my linux box as a DNS server for my
internal network/domain. However, when I connect my PC to my Internet
provider I automatically get the DNS server provided by them. Even worse it
also makes my internet providers domain the standard domain for my Linux box
(instead of my carefully selected own domain name!).
Who can help me fix this annoying DHCP feature?

Thanx in advance,

Erik
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Arturas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compex RL100ATX
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 20:39:44 +0100

Hi,

does anyone have any experiences with that cheap netcard?

Art.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:36:17 -0500
From: Darren Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] ssh through firewall errors?

How do I get rid of the non-priviledged port errors ssh is generating on
hosts out side of our private network?

I have tried a few rules, none seem to work.

What I need to do is allow ssh sessions from 10.0.1.15 to machines
outside our private network.  Right now, all connections generate
priviledge port errors.

Can someone help me with a ipfwadm rules that will pass ssh connections
on the proper ports?

Thanks in advance :)

Darren

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2???
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 23:20:18 -0500

Aaron Saikovski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please Help!!
>I have followed the how-to's to the letter, I have used the Linus
>pocketbook.
>I cannot get the 2.2.2 kernel to work correctly under RedHat 5.2.
>
>I compiled the kernel, removed static links to linux, I have made the
>modules, made the modules_install.
>I have moved the zImage to /boot.
>When I reboot and try to boot the new kernel, it causes a total system
>reboot..

Did you erase the source code that you had there before you installed the
new source code?
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Horan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA in NT domain
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:40:39 -0000

or you can lookout for pam_smb and pam_ntdom on
ftp://us2.samba.org/pub/samba/pam_smb .......

------------------------------

From: "Sylvain Côté" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Masquerade speed
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:28:44 -0500

Hi

I have IP-Masqurade installed on my linux machine and it work well.
However, there is some delay when I use the Internet Explorer on Win95 from
the inner side of the network.  When I use Netscape on the linux machine,
the web pages are loaded very quickly.  May the masquerade compromise the
speed?  If I use a machine with higher performance for the masquerade, will
it perform better?

Sylvain