From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CPU 0.1% idle after X login by root ?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:49:46 GMT

In article <79oddu$7hs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Holub) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Y W Wong  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> )
> )Why the control-panel take 98% of the CPU resources even I have already
> )logout
> )from a remote X-Term ? ( Resource cannot release )
> )Is it a bug of Linux xdm ?
>
> It's a bug in control-panel; if you log in as root and get the default
> xdm setup (which includes control-panel) and then log out, control-panel
> doesn't handle the exit signal correctly and sometimes goes into
> an infinite loop.
>
> Workarounds include not using control-panel, killing control-panel
> when it gets stuck, exiting control-panel before you log out, or
> fixing control-panel.
>  -Tom

Yep, Tom is right, it's all control-panel's fault.
There are lots of ways you can deal with this - after all, you can always kill
just the process :)
Here is what I did about it, maybe you'll also find it helpful:
1. In my xdm-config file (/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config) I changed
   DisplayManager._0.reset: to
       DisplayManager._0.reset:       /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset
   Now when I shut down my window manager, xdm executes
   /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset
2. Next I created /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset and put 'killall control-panel' in it.
Here is the whole file:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Xreset
#
# This program is run as root after the session ends
#
/usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/TakeConsole
#kill the crazy control-panel
killall control-panel
exit 0
That's it! Now I don't have to remember to kill the process every time I log
out.

Alex

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: @Home cable modem problem
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:36:29 GMT

I am using Redhat too.  Here is my set up.
TV_Cable------>Cable_Modem------>eth0-----+

                                  |========| HUB
                                      | | +--------------------+
                                      | +----------+           |
                                      |            |           |
                                Windows 95 Box    NT_Box   Win_98_Box

eth0 = [dhcpcd] please don't put any value like ip or netmask.
eth1 = [192.168.2.2] here you put everything netmask 255.255.255.0
now I am also using Dhcpd to assing all my local IP address automaticaly
95_box = 192.168.2.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 so on...

In my Microsoft Box I never put any values everthing auto, you got it ?
now goto your Linux box and do this "route -n"

you must see something like this if not Read Net-3-HowTo. or letme know

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth1
192.168.2.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth1
127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 lo
192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
24.66.4.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.254.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         24.66.4.1       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Joseph Christopher Pasika)
Subject: Q: 3 ethent cards, bridging, masquerading
Date: 10 Mar 1999 01:41:45 GMT

I am having difficulty setting up a network with the following criteria.

1) eth0 - cable modem DCHP
   eth1 - ne2000 subnet
   eth2 - wavelan subnet

2) machines (Win98) on eth1 and eth2 must be able to see each other in
   network neighbourhood

3) have to be able to log into the linux box from any machine
   to run latex, etc. (does bridging not allow this?)

4) run IP Masquerading run the cable modem

I can get the cards configured and have read the HOWTOs and
mini-HOWTOs on subnetting, bridging etc but am having difficulty
making sense of it all. I though I could get away with creating the
subnets 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.128 for eth1 and eth2 (haven't tried
it yet but the IP Masq and DCHP stuff looks pretty simple) and route
them through the appropriate interface but the Win98 machines don't
see each other very well. Is there someone out there with a similar
sort of setup?

Hugh Pasika    http://soma.mcmaster.ca/~pasika   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Communication Research Laboratory Rm 102         fax (905) 521 2922
McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada L8S 4K1 ph  (905) 525 9140 x. 27282

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: newbie: to hub or not to hub?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:58:39 GMT

Hi, I intend to make a small home network with two of my comps.  I intend to
use the linux machine as a netserver and the win98 machine as a client.
Considering I have no intention of connecting any more machines to the
network in the future, should I still go for a hub or just NICs and crossover
cables would be enough for the job? Thanks.

Regards,
Anthony.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GenaBlu)
Subject: How do I install SSH?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 07:16:06 GMT

Howdy!

I just downloaded SSH 2.0.12.  I have the file ssh-2.0.12.tar.gz and the
signature file.

This sounds kind of stoopid but, can someone please tell me what the parameters
for tar or gunzip should be so I can decompress and install SSH?

Also...  Is there a good, comprehensive HOW-TO for SSH anywhere?  I tried
checking out the companies marketing SSH but they have almost no information on
how to install SSH (obviously they want us to buy the real SSH).  Help?

Thanks!

From: Eric Melville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:18:00 GMT

when you configured the kernel, did you turn on the aic7890 scsi
support? it's almost certainly not on by default.

is this one of the asus boards with the on board video? for sis video
chipset support, grab an x server and xf86config script from suse linux.
that's what i've got: slackware, asus board with sis 5597 chipset, and x
server w/ config script from suse linux... works great.

-E

------------------------------

From: Lau Kin Jock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2???
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:04:53 GMT

Brian McKerr wrote:

> I had _similar_ problems - I was able to compile 2.2.2 but could not get it to
> work via lilo as I usually do (I've been using and abusing linux since '93 ! by
> the way), The exact same Kernel that would not boot from lilo was able to boot
> when I copied it to floppy with "cp vmlinuz-2.2.2 /dev/fd0" !!!!
>
> When trying to boot from lilo it stopped after LI, looking at the doco (in
> /usr/doc) it explains what the problem is, but it wasn't detailed enough to
> help me further.

The same thing happened to me, but here's the interesting part.  IfI boot from a
boot floppy that I made for Caldera 1.3 and run Lilo from there, my 2.2.x
kernel works fine.  If I run it from the hd, I only get LI

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ian stevens)
Subject: Trouble setting up PCMCIA modules ...
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:01:56 GMT

I recently installed the 2.2.3 kernel on my Versa 6050MH running RH5.1
and then attempted to install the PCMCIA services v3.0.9.  I get the
following errors:

    - On bootup and continuously after bootup, modprobe complains:

        Mar 10 05:38:23 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5
        Mar 10 05:38:24 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4

    - cardctl can verify that the card is there but the lights aren't on

Installing v3.0.8 with kernel 2.2.1 resulting in boot-up hanging when
trying to find the PCMCIA modules.  I had to delete the modules for
boot-up to progress.

I've compiled PCMCIA under kernel v2.0.35 and it worked fine with little
problems.  I seem to recall that kernel having configure options for
PCMCIA, though.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,
ian.

--
ian stevens                                     "The net has fall'n upon me!
dreams in corduroy                               I shall perish under device

------------------------------

From: Alon Ben Tov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dig script...
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:16:05 +0200

Hi all,

Does anyone knows where can I get good dig script to config
my machine on ppp connection to modems ?

Thanks,
Al

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Trouble setting up PCMCIA modules ...
Date: 10 Mar 1999 07:33:38 GMT

:
:     - On bootup and continuously after bootup, modprobe complains:
:
:         Mar 10 05:38:23 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5
:         Mar 10 05:38:24 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4

Continuously??  Odd.  They are not PCMCIA messages.

:     - cardctl can verify that the card is there but the lights aren't on

System log messages are always nice.  It's also nice to say what
card(s) you're using.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre Dietisheim)
Subject: Linux-Router: pppd dialing on local connect & bootup & route
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:45:38 GMT

Hi!

I have installed a Linux-Machine as a Dial-out-Router for a small LAN:

I use -SuSE 6.0
           - Kernel 2.2.1
           - pppd 2.3.5 (dialing on demand)
           - resolv.conf: order hosts bind
           - hosts defining all machines on the local net

and the problem is that pppd dials out when I connect to the router
(same machine that has the modem attached to) using Telnet, Browser,
Mailer etc.
It does the same whe the pppd-startscript is put in the boot-sequence
and when I have a look at the routing-table.
I guessed it to be a Lookup to the ISP's DNS so I fixed
/etc/resolv.conf (oder hosts bind) & /etc/hosts (all LAN-machines
defined in it) but the problem did not disappear.

Anyone any idea how to fix that??

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:23:23 -0800
From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com Officeconnect LAN Modem / Linux

I am using the very same piece of hardware and it is serving my needs
rather well.

Ok I noticed something in your description that caught my eye but first
I have to ask the rudimentary questions.

Are you using DHCP to assign your IP address to your workstation or a
static IP?  Just a curiosity since it doesn't much matter at this point
from the description of your complaint.  But it may be a factor later.
I see you mentioned that your ISP provides you a dynamic IP but that
does not factor in at this point since you are dealing with your local
network.

Did you add your workstation in to the list of workstations in the web
interface for your lanmodem? You did not mention if you have other hosts
on your lan but I assume you do, or are planning to, or you would have
just bought the 3comImpacIQ ISDN modem.

Can you ping your Linux workstation from another machine on your LAN?
Did you try adding entries into your /etc/hosts file with the host names
and IP's of some other machines on your LAN and then try to ping them by
name and IP. This will help to verify that at least your wire/hub etc is
good.

OK enough of the generalities I think you can see my point you need to
first verify that your tcpip/wire/hub etc is good and working before
moving to the lanmodem.

Here is what I saw that sticks out like a sore thumb:
"nameserver (I used the address of one of my ISP's DNS)"
You need to set the DNS server address to that of your lanmodem
192.168.1.1, which is also your default route ( gateway )

It looks to me like you may have been confusing/combining the ISP
portion and the workstation portion of the lanmodem setup.

Your lan modem is basically just a four port hub with a modem.  It acts
as a DNS server, can act as a DHCP server, and does provide you with NAT
( IP masking/Firewall though very rudimentary ) for incoming and
outgoing packets. The documentation explicitly says that you need to
make your DNS entry the same as the address of the lanmodem.  This of
coarse does not need to be your only entry but should be your primary
one until you get things working.  You also did not mention if this was
a 24X7 connection where your are running a ftp server/http server from
etc.  I gather it is just for personal ISP use. I am assuming this is
for just a simple use of one ISP account to be shared among the machines
at your LAN via ethernet.

Using the information you gave me here is what I would put for my
network information:

Hostname:       blackbeard
domain:         apk.net ( Though I would use a different one than my ISP ) and
do not enter                            it in the field in the lanmodem
config where it asks for your local                             domain.
leave it blank. )
IP              192.168.1.10
gateway         192.168.1.1
netmask         255.255.255.0 ( However if you have never set your lanmodem up
before you                                    will have to use
255.255.0.0 that is its default but you
can                                  change it. )
nameserver      192.168.1.1

It will be easiest to do the initial setup from a windows machine
otherwise you will need to reconfigure your network setting on your
linux box a couple times, or just once if you choose the default
lanmodem config.

Here is the output from a netstat -rn form one of my linux boxes.

[jeffw@sealion /etc]$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0          0
eth0

here is a /etc/resolv.conf example for you
search apk.net
nameserver 192.192.1.1          #lanmodem
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx      #ns1.apk.net

The search is setup to look apk.net the DNS primary is the lanmodem if
it can't resolve your query it will dial out to your ISp, and in the ISP
configuration page you entered in at least one DNS server in the proper
field so it ( your lanmodem ) will be querying that DNS server.  I would
add the it to your resolv.conf anyway since it will speed things up even
after your dialed in.

Now to connect to your ISP, from the lanmodem ISP configuration page
this is where you would enter in your ISP's DNS entries.

I know I have rambled on if you would like more help let me know and I
will try to slow down a bit.  I am making allot of assumptions since I
don't know all the details of your setup but I know I can get it to work
since I have 7 machines working off mine not counting my laptop.  Two
linux, two NT, two 98, and a NeXT/OPENSTEP_4.2 all connected and
browsing just fine.

I would be glad to send you a cc of my resolv.conf, host files if they
may provide you with assistance just email me.

FYI
netstat -rn is a good tool to look at some network and routing configs.

jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:02:35 +0100
From: "Todd A. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ian stevens wrote:

> I recently installed the 2.2.3 kernel on my Versa 6050MH running RH5.1
> and then attempted to install the PCMCIA services v3.0.9.  I get the
> following errors:
>
>     - On bootup and continuously after bootup, modprobe complains:
>
>         Mar 10 05:38:23 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5
>         Mar 10 05:38:24 corduroy modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4

This part has nothing to do with pcmcia services.

1. Edit /etc/conf.modules and add:

# Added to disable Appletalk and IPX checks by ifconfig
alias net-pf-5 off

2. Upgrade your net-tools package.

--

Not sure what net-pf-4 is but you can also disable it in
/etc/conf.modules.

Sincerely,
Todd A. Wood

------------------------------

From: Jerry Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.2.3 Networking Performance Really Bad!?!
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:25:39 GMT

A couple of days ago I posted an article to this group describing how
I found that FreeBSD's networking performance on local Ethernet was
better than Linux 2.0.36.

The FreeBSD throughput was ~1000 kB/sec while Linux 2.0.36 was
averaging 650 kB/sec.

Several people replied and suggested that the new 2.2 kernels have
better network performance. I downloaded 2.2.3 and installed it on my
machine. Now throughput on the same ethernet (with no load) is down to
52 kB/sec!!! This is a drop in performance of over an order of
magnitude!

What's going on here? Everything looks ok. I'm using the same 3COM
3c905B driver (v0.99H) on 2.0.36 and 2.2.3. Is there some fundemental
option or setting that I'm missing?

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve resolve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."