  Re: Linux fax server on linux/Win network (Hoi Ka Kit)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doole)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:27:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Tremblay) apparently said this:

>If you think that you had privacy before this, boy you live in a
>bubble. Look at cell phones, ISPs, Credit card companies, Banks.
>
>Cell phone companies can tell what block you are standing on and what
>you are saying. This info is accessible by police.

Unless you're committing a crime, so what? And if you are, the game is
your own, so live with it...

I've never quite understood in concrete terms what all the concern is
about this issue.

------------------------------

From: Roope Anttinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux programming jobs?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 18:55:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Keith Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At some point I must have snipped too much of the original post. The
> gentleman who started the thread has no experience, no education.
> Moving to UNIX development and finding employment is not as difficult when
> you have experience.

Yes, you're right. I had education but no experience and it works other way
around too. In another location of my employer the departments UNIX admin
has no education, but lots of experience.

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sendmail & Masquerading Guru required
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:07:35 +0000

OK, here's the problem.  I have two machines.  One (snowwhite.boss.and.lad)
is connected to our internal network through which it has access to DNS
servers, a web proxy and a NNTP server.  The second (ewrcsdra.demon.co.uk)
has a modem which is used purely for email (there is a good reason why I am
not doing email through our internal network).  The machines are connect via
another ethernet cable.  Snowwhite is running ip-masquerading which seems to
work fine (both machines can be used for web browsing without any problems).
I have one shared /var/spool/mail directory mounted on snowwhite.

I have configured sendmail as instructed in the redhat install guide (I'm
running 5.2) section 11.7.  The relevant entries in snowwhite's sendmail.cf
are:
DRewrcsdra
DHewrcsdra
DMewrcsdra.demon.co.uk

grumpy's sendmail.cw file reads

snowwhite.boss.and.lad
snowwhite

External email works fine.  Mail can be send from either machine and always
appears to come from ewrcsdra.  Mail sent to ewrcsdra can be read from
either machine.

Unfortunately, local mail seems to have some problems.  mailq on snowwhite
gives:

NAB00628    24484 Mon Mar  8 13:17 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (Deferred: Network is unreachable)
                                   rsimpson
MAA00602    22214 Mon Mar  8 12:17 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (Deferred: Network is unreachable)
                                   rsimpson
LAA00570    24022 Mon Mar  8 11:17 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (Deferred: Network is unreachable)
                                   rsimpson
KAA00412    23773 Mon Mar  8 10:17 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (Deferred: Network is unreachable)
                                   rsimpson

The messages are being sent from crontab to root on snowwhite and then
forwarded via aliases to myself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am not aware of any views shared by myself and my employers.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How to patch a Kernel?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:13:18 GMT

Ray wrote in message ...
>Hi, i downloaded the RAID-Tools and the patch for the kernel, but, how do i
>patch the kernel?
>
>There file to patch is a file which seems very crypted to me.
>
>Hope on help
>
>Regards
>The Ray
>
>Where i work http://www.ultrasonic.at

if your kernel source is in /usr/src, put the patch in /usr/src, and run:

zcat patch-xx.gz | patch -p0

If the patch is not gzipped, do:

cat patch-xx | patch -p0

------------------------------

From: "Mark Peoples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba 2.0.3 install woes
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:43:43 -0700

Hello,
 I'm about at the point of shooting myself in the foot.

 I have IP Masquerading installed, so my 3 other computers can access the
internet through my linux server.

 However, I can't get 2.0.3 to install properly.  Whenever I run smbstatus,
it comes back with the version that installed with RH 5.1...1.9.18p5.

 I need access to the linux machine to update web pages and what not (and
I'd also like to just have it available <g>).

 If anyone can point me in the right direction to get it to install
properly, I'd appreciate it.  I run ./configure --with_smbmount (or
with-smbmount...whatever the syntax is for smbmount) and it goes fine.
However, make, and make install give errors at the end...

 Thank you,
 Mark Peoples [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Hess)
Subject: Re: Tuning the network in Linux
Date: 12 Mar 1999 11:14:57 -0800

Look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation.  There's lotsa tips in there about
how to do this.

                        Patrick

------------------------------

From: Sean McEwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for an X client for Windows 95
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:56:05 -0600

That is what I am looking for. I downloaded X-Win32 from StarNet, but
have not yet suceeded with it. I can run X programs remotely between two
Linux boxes. Has anyone had any sucess with X-Win32 or any other X
client for Windows 95? If so, please mail me at:===>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
. Thanks

Sean

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipfwadm???
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:23:54 -0800

arutha wrote in message <7ca9tc$i35$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have a linux system acting as a firewall/masq.  I do not have valid IPs
on
>my internal network hence masq.  What I want to do is allow a connection
on
>a specific port to be routed to an internal computer from the internet.  i
>don't know if I need additional software or if ipfwadm can do this.  I am
>using redhat 5.2 kernel 2.0.36-0.7.  Example:  have smtp routed from the
>internet to linux box w/ valid IP to system without valid IP 192.168.x.x.
>smtp port only.
>Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

The tool to do this is called "ipportfw".

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chip)
Subject: Re: Basic Samba configuration problem
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:32:56 GMT

I may be off here as you may already have this program, but have you
tried using WebAdmin?  It's available off the Simba main page.  Not only
does it manage Simba, but also many other system functions.  It's
something to look into, anyway.

Jonathan

TS Stahl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Two out of three is pretty good, your on your own with this one  <BSG>

: Andy Jaworski wrote:

: > Hi there,
: >
: > I have the smallest network of two machines: Win 95 OSR2 and Linux RH 5.2
: > with 2.2.2 kernel running together with all required updates (including
: > Samba 2.0.3).  I have them connected using a crossover twisted-pair cable.
: > The machines see one another.  I can ping from both machines.
: >

: > I have a feeling that I am missing something very basic, but I cannot put my
: > finger on it.  Any insight/help will be appreciated
: >
: > Andy
: >
: > -----------------------------------------
: > Andy Jaworski
: > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: --
: Scott Stahl
: MIS Asst.
: Illinois Housing Development Authority

------------------------------

From: "Randy McLin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with "Network Card" !!!
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:22:22 -0500

Don't know if this helps, but maybe you can try the Linux hardware
compatibility guide

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

to see if you're card is supported.  I run a 3COM 3C905 on about 7 machines
and have had no problems.

There may be other howtos to help you configure your specific card.

I've got other links at http://www.emuse.net that might help to.  That's a
portal site I compiled to help me in my day-to-day Linux work.

Good luck,

Randy

------------------------------

From: Fabrizio Granero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: ISDN CONNECTION
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:41:41 +0100

Got my brand new isdn connection... and robotics external TA

Tried to dial up...
in intereactive mode just to watch out ...
it dials ...
tells me
CONNECT 64000

which is finebut than it stails ...
nothing more...
It should ask me for login
(I have the same number for modem)
Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "比卡超" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c509 & ne2000 conflict
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:43:36 +0800

I have similar experience !

mike upham 撰寫於文章 <7cbmfr$2ml$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Allan Holtzmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: ISDN CONNECTION
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:09:55 -0600

Fabrizio Granero wrote:

> Got my brand new isdn connection... and robotics external TA
>
> Tried to dial up...
> in intereactive mode just to watch out ...
> it dials ...
> tells me
> CONNECT 64000
>
> which is finebut than it stails ...
> nothing more...
> It should ask me for login
> (I have the same number for modem)
> Any ideas?

    Check to see if the modem is configured for v.120 protocol.
Otherwise you probably won't see a terminal.

Allan Holtzmann
Technical Administrator
Metropolitan Network Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Paul Godward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for Netware
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:22:25 -0800

First of all, Thank you everyone for the help.  I was able to get a bindery
connection to my Netware Servers.  Now what I would like to do is get an
NDS connection, and possibly make Linux look like a netware server

The Netware for Linux package from Caldera is supposed to be NDS aware, as
well as having the NDS admin tools available and NWClient software,
unfortunately it was compiled for 2.0.35. They don't offer source code for
this product, so I can't recompile on a different Kernel.  Any
suggestions???

Thaks in advance.
Paul

Chad Eddings wrote:

> Are there and NDS (Novell Directory Services) aware clients for Linux?
>
> I am currently using the ncp tools that come with RH5.2, but this is a
> bindery based login.
>
> Paul Godward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >I am running RedHat 5.2 and would like to get access to my Netware
> >servers.  I know that Caldera makes a Linux for Netware product that
> >will work with RedHat 5.1.  I haven't had much luck getting it working
> >and was wondering if there were any "tricks" to it.  Any help would be
> >greatly appreciated.
> >Paul

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hacked login (telnet)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:51:15 -0500

True, it's the news reader I use for another newsgroup(1)
and I usually edit it out. Missed it this time.

My repologies.

--
Why gain the world but lose your soul?
Wisdom is much better than silver and gold.

(1)ITYKWGIM

}
}[Now really Colin, there is no need to say a "luser drooled".
} Its really disrespecful and insulting.  LART yourself        ]
}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux and Apache die under load
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:05:56 GMT

My system is set to the maximum allowable file handles (without a kernel
hack). I seriously doubt that that is the problem.  One of those three
programs (Postgres, PHP, or Apache) is not closing it's files properly.  What
I need is a way to tell which of those three have the files open.  My system
doesn't get hit enough to have truely run out of file handles.

Matthew

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > For a long time now my website has received less that 2000 hits per day.
Due

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Tremblay)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:04:43 GMT

If you think that you had privacy before this, boy you live in a
bubble. Look at cell phones, ISPs, Credit card companies, Banks.

Cell phone companies can tell what block you are standing on and what
you are saying. This info is accessible by police.

ISP companies can log every email that you send out and where you
visit on the net.

Credit card companies have logs of what you buy and where you buy it.
They can sell this to other companies

Banks are in  the same situation as credit card companies, especially
if you have debit card access.
Privacy is a nonissue. It is more of can you accept that this is
there.

------------------------------

From: GSM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Any  Masquerading Guru's out there?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:34:40 GMT

Background:
    I am running Suse kernel 2.2.3 and have the requisite  config files
in the kernel for ipchains:
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_CHAINS=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y

I see two NICs with boot (from dmesg :  eth0: VIA VT3043 Rhine at
0xd000, 00:80:c8:e6:52:59, IRQ 3. eth0: MII PHY found at address 8,
status 0x782d advertising 05e1 Link 0000. PCI latency timer (CFLT) is
unreasonably low at 32.  Setting to 64 clocks. eth1: VIA VT3043 Rhine at
0xb800, 00:80:c8:e6:38:70, IRQ 10. eth1: MII PHY found at address 8,
status 0x7809 advertising 05e1 Link 0000.

Problem:  How does one setup IPchains to allow filtering and setting up
of class C reserved names with IPchains ie I want to masquarade the
clients on the internal lan ? I have a static IP for linux box/hub and a
couple of clients on a small baseT LAN.

Therefore can any network gurus out there answer:

1.How to setup private network that is assigned 192.168.1.* addresses,
with my host being 192.168.1.0, and the firewall's Ethernet interface
being assigned 192.168.1.1.

2. How does one setup the  firewall  to masquerade any packets coming
from the private network and going to port 80 on an Internet host.

3.Configure Netscape  to be connect directly.

4.Setup DNS  correctly on the private network.

5. Set the  firewall as the default route (aka gateway) for the private
network.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hoi Ka Kit)
Subject: Re: Linux fax server on linux/Win network
Date: 12 Mar 1999 20:20:54 GMT

Try visit the Link page of the HylaFax Homepage.

Alger Hoi

Bruno Prior ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Can I set up a fax server on a Linux server to act as a server for Windows
: machines as well as linux machines. I can't find any information on the
: HylaFAX web site to tell me one way or the other. Seems like it ought to be
: possible in principle, but might be fun setting up a friendly Windows
: front-end.

: Cheers,

: Bruno Prior                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
   E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]          /  ) //    *       ' )  /     *
 | Hoi Ka Kit           Alger Hoi              |/  I love programming if you
 | Computer Science MPhil Year 1                  |      give me enough time.
 | Hong Kong University of Science & Technology.  |