Linux-Networking Digest #481, Volume #10         Sat, 13 Mar 99 13:13:44 EST

Contents:
  dial up/ignore voice calls/# of rings (Harry Park)
  NFS copy to dos drive (altuttle)
  Re: 2.2.X and NE2000 (nguyen_a)
  PPP Beginner - Please Help ("David Bossert")
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? ("Nexus 6")
  Linux=>internet via NTproxy (Roeland Marco Drupsteen)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: dial up/ignore voice calls/# of rings (Clifford Kite)
  Re: ADSL ?? (Greg Weeks)
  trn (eran)
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux programming jobs? ("John Burton")
  Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install.... ("Greg Chagnon")
  Re: Samba problem need help (Brad Kusy)
  Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Setting up Netware autologin... ("Shawn Pursley")
  Network problem ?? (Bernd Kohlstedt)
  Re: PPP problem, please read ("Eriksson")
  Re: how can I print to linux from windows nt use lpd ("Carl R. Friend")
  Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install.... (Martin Gelfand)
  what's this (Joe Ringer)
  Running MSDOS programs over PPP ("K.A. Steensma")
  Re: PPP problem, please read (sean)
  trn (support)
  ADSL ?? (Derek Schaible)

From: Harry Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dial up/ignore voice calls/# of rings
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:10:16 -0500

I am using uu_getty(2.07j-3) for dialin connectivity to my Linux 5.1
machine.
I have 2 questions:

Can I make uugetty ignore voice phone calls on the  line? As it is now
when
someone calls the house the modem trys to talk. Useful for telepromoters
but
not for family members.

How do I set the number of rings to 5 rings?

Included is my /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS2 file

INITLINE=cua2
ALTLOCK=cua2
TIMEOUT=60
INIT="" AT\r OK\r\n
WAITFOR=RING
CONNECT="" ATA\r CONNECT\s\A
DELAY=1
DEBUG=010

TIA

------------------------------

From: altuttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: NFS copy to dos drive
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:26:45 -0800

Forgive if this is a newbiew question, but I can't find the answer to this elsewhere.

Small home network with 3 linux boxes, 2 of which dual boot to Windoze so I have some
dos partions.

NFS runs ok, but when copying files to a dos partition on the NFS server I get error
message.

"Can't create file....". When done, I see a 0 byte file created on the destination
drive.  If I then retry (using MC) it writes the file fine.

If I copy to an ext2 drive on the NFS server it works without a hitch.

Any ideas?

---- The Key is knowing how to use your neurosis. ----
                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  Linux - The GNU Deal

------------------------------

From: nguyen_a <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.X and NE2000
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:53:57 +0100

root wrote:

> Does anyone successfully have an NE2000 working with 2.2.X?  I have tried
> all 2.2.X kernels/patches.  /proc/kmsg reports
>
> eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x2, t=1000.
>
> when I try to ping.
>
> Using tcpdump on a remote machines shows the machine with 2.2.X arps then
> the destination machine responds.  Using tcpdump on the 2.2.X machine
> shows the arp, but no response.  Which correlates well with what the
> kernel is saying.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

I almost had the same buzz: the kernel did not detect my NE2000 ISA card
because I did not used
one of the standard address,IRQ that are autoprobed at boot.

I arranged this by adding a line

append "ether  io=your_address, irq=your_interrupt, eth0"

in lilo.conf and then reinstall it.
Make sure to check the exact syntax with man , (I am not writing this on my
machine at home  :-) )

Have fun
Anhtuan

------------------------------

From: "David Bossert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Beginner - Please Help
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:06:47 GMT

I'm trying to connect to my ISP (dynamic IP). I've read every newsgroup I
can find, but something's not working right. Dummy Interface seems to be
working fine(I can ping myself) but when I try using chat + pppd it says
"Bad local host: 127.0.0.1." And when I try it manually through minicom and
quit w/out resetting, pppd just sits there. Anyone know any online docs
other than the PPP and ISP Hookup HOWTOS? Anyone know how to connect
through X tools? Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Nexus 6" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:10:11 -0800

redhat-fully automated
slackware-for do it yourselfers
suse-havent used, but good cde i hear
caldera-aol of linux i hear
linux.org has a list of them

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roeland Marco Drupsteen)
Subject: Linux=>internet via NTproxy
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:10:05 GMT

Hello all,

A friend of mine is trying to access the internet on her Linux
workstation via the NT-proxy on her network. This doesn't
seem to be possible because the Linux station doesn't logon
to the PDC. Is there a possebility to make the NT server grant
the Linux station access to the proxy?

Thank you!

R.M. Drupsteen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Netherlands

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:48:13 +0000

  For under the hood probably any version would do for a workstation so
kernel consideration is any.
  Other big points would be user interface.  Each comes with different
window managers installed and extra support scripts to fire up and
manage them.  For example RH has some nice scripts for 4 window managers
and excells in setting up fvwm but NO kde.  So depending on what you
want to make available to your people would be a factor.  Then again it
may not make much of a difference as you will probably be making a cd or
a master disk and in that case a specific release is not important.  You
would cook up what you want taking the better features from each release
and make a CD/disk for download machines.
  If you really are going to do this out of the box on individual
machines then RH is the only choice.  Install is clean, support
available and most important is there are of users getting those errors
and weak spots found out so trip points are discovered/known and you can
find out about them in news.  You will probably not have a problem that
not been mentioned in new several times before it happens to you.  I
would bet that you could get most any support question answered by
searching the news days faster than you will get through RH support but
the others do not have "support".
  From personal experience I would eliminate KDE and Gnome from a list
of options to install.  KDE has too many problems and with a 100 users
you'd be 100% devoted to complaints about X freezes or cpu usage high
with only a few process running or memory problems etc.  I use it here
as my main WM but I live with its shortcommings but average users will
be screaming with complaints.  You'll probably have to experiment and
see what you user population wants to live with for a WM which will
dictate a bit of what your setup will require.  But thats only a portion
and about all  I can add other than some comments on the admin tools.
You preferences here will make a difference.  There are several text
tools for admin'ing and semi-gui's and GUI's.  You'll probably have to
seek them out and use them to see what you like etc et include it in a
build list if your burning a CD or see which releases encorporate the
most if the things you find desireable.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: dial up/ignore voice calls/# of rings
Date: 13 Mar 1999 09:53:13 -0600

Harry Park ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I am using uu_getty(2.07j-3) for dialin connectivity to my Linux 5.1
: machine.  I have 2 questions:

: Can I make uugetty ignore voice phone calls on the  line? As it is now

Yes, at least when you use ringback which is available in 2.07h ps_getty.
There was some blurb about doing away with ringback but it may not have
come to pass yet.

: How do I set the number of rings to 5 rings?

Ringback should be better.  It's described in "man getty", look under
the section "RINGBACK=value".

This works for me:

# Ringback enable.  One or two rings, then hangup and call back within
# 7 and 60 seconds.

RINGBACK=YES
MINRBTIME = 7
MAXRBTIME = 60
INTERRING = 6
MINRINGS = 1
MAXRINGS = 2

: Included is my /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS2 file

: INITLINE=cua2
: ALTLOCK=cua2
: TIMEOUT=60
: INIT="" AT\r OK\r\n
: WAITFOR=RING
: CONNECT="" ATA\r CONNECT\s\A
: DELAY=1
: DEBUG=010

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* A salute to Inspector Baynes, of the Surry Constabulary, the only

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Weeks)
Subject: Re: ADSL ??
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:05:47 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Derek Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Anyone know if you can use adsl modems??

Yes.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:29:19 +0200
From: eran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: trn

how to use it in the first time ?
login to a server etc...

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
Subject: Re: hacked login (telnet)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:25:04 GMT

All hints are appreciated, and sufficient.
Mostly I already have what I needed but
for some reason now - telnet access
to the gateway machine is *NOT* refusing
r_oot_ login via the local network. (whereas
previously it had) ???

Kosta.

From: "John Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux programming jobs?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:49:32 -0000

Jonathan A. Buzzard wrote in message ...
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Keith Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>[SNIP]
>>>
>>>This has to be the bigest problem with the computer industry. The primary
>>>concern about any programmer should be how *maintable* the code they
>>>write is. I see all the time programmers with years of experience that
>>>produce such dire code that I would never hire them in a month of
Sundays.
>>>Yet they find no problem getting jobs as they have plenty of
*experience*.

Unfortunatly most employers in my experience have little interest in their
programmers writting maintainable, testable, or even correct code.
What they are more interesting in is programmers being able to produce
*something* in the time that has been scheduled.

Needless to say this is not a good thing, but most people soon learn
how to keep their employer happy even when they know that what
they are doing is not really in their best interests.

------------------------------

From: "Greg Chagnon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install....
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:00:29 GMT

Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
GBwG2.22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Hi,
>I have purchased from my local OfficeMax a RedHat 5.2 Linux software box...
>which I'm about to unseal...however before unsealing... I have a few
>questions about it... and would appreciate some constructive comments to
>assist me in making sure Linux is right for me....
>
>First, the computer I would like to install on is a dual processor PII
>system... is that a problem for RedHat... I don't see it discussed on the
>box, and was wondering if the shipping product handled dual processors
well?

Linux will use the 2nd processor fine...

>Second, I communicate with Internet via a router which talks to all my PC's
>via a NIC... in this case a KNE110TX from Kingston... I noted the vanilla
>"Tulip" drivers don't seem to support this varient as yet... but did find a
>driver over at a Nasa website which seems to support it... my question is,
>how difficult is it to compile, and link in a new network driver?

There's usually very good documentation with anything you download for
linux.

>Third, I noted a new version of the Linux kernal was announced somewhat
>recently, does 5.2 include it, is it in any way relevent or an issue with
my
>install? Should I wait for the new Kernal? Does 5.2 include the newest
>version, or would I download it, what all would be involved with my using
it
>if at all?

Most CDs you buy don't contain the latest kernel.  Go to ftp.kernel.org and
get the latest stable kernel.  There's a kernel HOWTO at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

>Please pretend I am somewhat computer literate, but a Linux newbie. Replies
>about writing my own driver are definately NOT being solicited,
constructive
>replies certainly are all welcome.
>--
>Gary

Good luck...

Greg Chagnon

------------------------------

From: Brad Kusy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Samba problem need help
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:05:33 GMT

I've run into this problem to.  The following URL should be helpful.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/samba_ntdom_faq.html

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:09:01 -0500

Hi,

I've been trying to get Linux working, some of it is some isn't, but one
thing i was hoping to get working, esp. since i have a winmodem (bluck)
is my Ethernet card (which also would get me onto a lan w/cable modem).
However, i have no /dev/eth0, or ethx at all.  Linux knows its there,
here is select output from less /proc/pci

  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel 82596 (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee101000 [0xee101000].
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee100000 [0xee100000].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee000000 [0xee000000].

I know the chipset for it is supported, and i think everything is ok, i
just need to get the device to show up in the /dev directory.  I know i
could probably use mknod, but i don't know if its block or character, or
the major or minor revision numbers.  Any ideas?  Please email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Remove the nospam. or it won't get through.
Thanks for any help.

Andy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:05:29 GMT

My apologies,
It appears there actually is
a man (5) hosts_access page

I need glasses -

In article <7cb7r9$b3s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The hosts_access man page makes no sense at all.
>
> Thanks forever, (and to Colin) :)
> Kosta.
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury) wrote:
> > Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> shaped electrons to say:
> > >
> > >Contents of hosts.deny
> > >ALL:ALL
> > >
> > >Contents of hosts.allow
> > >in.telnetd: allowableip, allowableip, allowableip
> > >
> > >or you can just put your entire subnet in the allow file
> > >instead of individual ip addresses.
> >
> >   Also, be sure that the inetd.conf line looks like:
> >
> > telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
> >
> >   The "/usr/sbin/tcpd" is the most important, it lets the tcp-wrappers
> > security tools read and honor the hosts.deny/hosts.allow files.
> >
> >   The man page for the hosts.allow and deny files is hosts_access(5),
> > which is read by the command "man 5 hosts_access"
> >
> > [Now really Colin, there is no need to say a "luser drooled".
> >  Its really disrespecful and insulting.  LART yourself        ]
> > --
> > Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
> > ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U      Errant co-moderator of:

soc.religion.unitarian-univ

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:08:29 GMT

My mistake, there actually is
a man (5) hosts_access page

I need glasses -

Kosta.

From: "Shawn Pursley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up Netware autologin...
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:24:44 GMT

Help!

I can manually login to my NW 4.10 server from a linux client, but I want to
automate the process.

I have put the commands into rc.local in the rc.d directory and it's not
working...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

------------------------------

From: Bernd Kohlstedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network problem ??
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:25:25 GMT

Hi !!

At home i´m using a Linux Box as file server. (Linux 2.036 with Samba
2.0.2)
If i copy a file to the Linux box i got the following error:

Mar 13 18:11:12 bekocenter kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.
Mar 13 18:11:28 bekocenter kernel: last message repeated 3 times
Mar 13 18:12:01 bekocenter kernel: last message repeated 6 times

What´s wrong ?? Cable problem ? Or NIC problem ??

Thanks,
Bernd

------------------------------

From: "Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP problem, please read
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:36:05 +0100

THANK YOU GOD!

My PPP connection is working.. but I still get the compressed-21 thing error

/Martin

------------------------------

From: "Carl R. Friend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: how can I print to linux from windows nt use lpd
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:13:46 -0500

Huang Kai wrote:

> BTW, the following message confused me when I want to telnet the
> lpd port:
> [ftjn000@tjwsmmis04 ftjn000]$ telnet localhost 515
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> lpd: amrclj: Malformed from address
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [ftjn000@tjwsmmis04 ftjn000]$
>
> How to do with this error or misconfig?

   Telnetting to the lpd port won't tell you too much. The "acid test"
for that is to do a "lpq -Pprinter -Slinux_box" on the "N"T box.

   Probably you don't have the /etc/hosts.lpd file set up to include
the "N"T system. If that's the case, you'll get a "you don't have
permission" (or somesuch) message when you do the lpq.

|                                                |                     |
| mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |                     |
| http://www.ultranet.com/~crfriend/museum       | ICBM: N42:22 W71:47 |
|________________________________________________|_____________________|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gelfand)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Date: 13 Mar 1999 10:31:15 -0700

In article <GBwG2.22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Gary"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Hi,
>I have purchased from my local OfficeMax a RedHat 5.2 Linux software box...
>which I'm about to unseal...however before unsealing... I have a few
>questions about it... and would appreciate some constructive comments to
>assist me in making sure Linux is right for me....
>
>First, the computer I would like to install on is a dual processor PII
>system... is that a problem for RedHat... I don't see it discussed on the
>box, and was wondering if the shipping product handled dual processors well?
  None of the standard distributions supply an SMP-enabled kernel
out-of-the-box.  You will need to install the kernel source RPMs,
and playing usual the usual kernel configuration game, uncomment the
line SMP=1 in the top-level Makefile.  Compile kernel and modules,
install kernel and modules. If the modules are installed into
a different directory than your existing modules
you may need to do a few more things (take a look at /etc/rc/rc.sysinit
and see how it sets a symlink from /lib/modules/preferred to the
directory associated with the kernel you've actually booted).
Edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo.  None of this is _too_ difficult,
but if you screw up it can waste a lot of your time.

>Second, I communicate with Internet via a router which talks to all my PC's
>via a NIC... in this case a KNE110TX from Kingston... I noted the vanilla
>"Tulip" drivers don't seem to support this varient as yet... but did find a
>driver over at a Nasa website which seems to support it... my question is,
>how difficult is it to compile, and link in a new network driver?
  Shouldn't be hard at all, since you're going to want to build a
new kernel anyway.  Just replace the source code in
/usr/etc/linux-<whatever>/drivers/net with the new tulip.c.
(I've not done this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.)

>Third, I noted a new version of the Linux kernal was announced somewhat
>recently, does 5.2 include it, is it in any way relevent or an issue with my
>install? Should I wait for the new Kernal? Does 5.2 include the newest
>version, or would I download it, what all would be involved with my using it
>if at all?
  It is somewhat relevant to your install, since many of the big differences
between 2.0 and 2.2 kernels are associated with SMP.  RH5.2 does not
ship with the 2.2 kernel, and I can't recall if that distribution is
"2.2 ready" (you need recent versions of certain libraries for your
system to function with a 2.2 kernel).  You should be able to find
out what updates, if any, are necessary (from the RH site, probably).
I have heard that SMP is a configuration option just like any other
in the 2.2 kernels, no need to separately edit the Makefile.
  I have been running dual-processor systems under the 2.0 series kernels
and it works just fine for our applications (large CPU-intensive jobs),
and it may be good enough for you too; it may be more convenient to wait for
RH6.0 (or 6.2!) and do an upgrade to get the 2.2 kernels.

Good luck!
Martin Gelfand
Dept of Physics, Colorado State

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Ringer)
Subject: what's this
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:26:32 GMT

I was broswing through my logs and came across this:

Mar  4 09:14:00 peabody pppd[201]: pppd 2.3.5 started by jring, uid 501
Mar  4 09:14:38 peabody pppd[201]: Serial connection established.
Mar  4 09:14:39 peabody pppd[201]: Using interface ppp0
Mar  4 09:14:39 peabody pppd[201]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
Mar  4 09:14:39 peabody pppd[201]: Remote message:
Mar  4 09:14:40 peabody pppd[201]: local  IP address 207.172.132.91
Mar  4 09:14:40 peabody pppd[201]: remote IP address 10.65.33.15
Mar  4 10:08:00 peabody in.telnetd[258]: connect from dgt045.cpunet.com.br
Mar  4 10:08:00 peabody telnetd[258]: ttloop:  peer died: Success
Mar  4 11:58:56 peabody pppd[201]: Terminating on signal 2.
Mar  4 11:58:57 peabody pppd[201]: Connection terminated.
Mar  4 11:58:57 peabody pppd[201]: Exit.

Did someone try and break in while I was on the net?

--
clear skies,                |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                         |
                            |It all boils down to freedom. A shrink-wrap
                            |agreement is, at best, a mild form of bribery
                            |and at its worst, nothing short of slavery.
                            |--Walter Dunz

------------------------------

From: "K.A. Steensma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Running MSDOS programs over PPP
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:27:50 GMT

I have a working dial-in ppp service (using mgetty / mgetty+sendfax) that allows
me to telnet, ftp, etc into a Linux Server machine.  I  (also) have a working
SAMBA Server that appears in the 'neighborhood networking' of any/all Win9X
machines that are networked to the server (via eth0).

I have modified the '/etc/smb.conf' file so that SAMBA provides 'wins support'.
On the Win9X machine (that will be dialing into the Linux Server), I have
modified the TSP/IP (for the dial-up adapter) to show that the Linux Server (at
192.168.0.1) is going to provide WINS Resolution.

What I need to do is to dial into the server and see the SAMBA shares (so that I
can map a SAMBA share over to a drive letter) and run a MSDOS program (that is
stored on the Linux machine).  Right now, it doesn't work.

When I dial into the Linux server, the Windows9X IP configuration program shows
that it knows that there is a Primary WINS Server, but shows that Wins Proxy is
disabled.

Where do I go (go a HOWTO or URL) to find that answers for what I need to do to
finish this project?  TIA  KAS

------------------------------

From: sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:49:49 GMT

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:36:05 +0100 Eriksson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
mentioned something about ...
:) THANK YOU GOD!
:)
:) My PPP connection is working.. but I still get the compressed-21 thing error

add the following to your /etc/conf.modules

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

sean

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:28:46 +0200
From: support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Derek Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADSL ??
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:45:26 -0500

Anyone know if you can use adsl modems??