Linux-Networking Digest #521, Volume #10         Tue, 16 Mar 99 21:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Samba and NT user groups ("Thomas Horan")
  Setting up NE 2000 compliant card ("Dunn One")
  Re: PPP on Compaq Presario notebook internal modem. ("Tony J Schwartz")
  Smbmount problem ("dooogh!")
  Re: How can I stop my eth1 network card (Kai MacTane)
  Re: Kernel HOWTO accuracy? (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Telnet serving? (mist)
  Fetchmail timeouts (Dr Nik Jewell)
  Re: Version of gcc? (Andy Jaworski)
  Re: Redhat 5.1 upgrade to kernel 2.2.1 ("Prutser")
  Re: Kernel HOWTO accuracy? (brian moore)
  Re: test (Kevin Martin)
  installation of linux with win98 ("dxtr")
  Re: What is a "winmodem"? ("The Lone Scribe")
  Re: Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs (Stephen Kwan)
  Re: Kernel HOWTO accuracy? (Bob Martin)
  Re: Version of gcc? (NF Stevens)
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** (Stuart R.
Fuller)
  Re: Is anyone usin ISDN modems? (Clifford Kite)
  Ip_masquerade and Diablo 's Battle.net (Denis Dallaire)
  Re: What is a "winmodem"? (Edward Lee)
  NFS w/2.2.x, won't allow mounting of shares (Matthew Vanecek)

From: "Thomas Horan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba and NT user groups
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:09:34 -0000

Hello,
I have read through many of the Samba FAQ's and readme but their is so much
I have failed to find exactly what I am looking for.

I have an NT domain with over 400 users, split into many user groups.
I also have a linux box which I hope will be my new file server. I have
shares that are public, but I am having difficulty giving access at user
level. All the clients are NT Workstations 4.0 (with SP4 if it make a
difference).
I have security set to server and the appropriate bdc in the password server
parameter.

However, how can I set permissions on a share to an NT group of users ?

Thank You for any response.

------------------------------

From: "Dunn One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up NE 2000 compliant card
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:42:06 -0500

I have an SMC Ezcard 10(PCI). How do I get this to work? I heard that I can
use the NE 2000 module. Is there any program in Linux that I can use to do
this? Please help. Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Tony J Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP on Compaq Presario notebook internal modem.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:48:18 -0700

Are you absolutely sure that the 'integrated' modem isn't a Winmodem? (if it
is, you're out of luck- you'll have to go and buy a new one)

------------------------------

From: "dooogh!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Smbmount problem
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:43:38 -0500

Hello all,

 Just installed a fresh 2.2.3  kernel. It all went really good. The only
problem is that smbmount won't work anymore. Its the same config I used with
2.0.36 kernel. Keeps saying invalid argument. I used the same command line
argument ...

smbmount  //server/cdrive  /mnt/win98  -c linuxbox  -n

 Yes i have the /mnt/win98 dir in structure. Did the new kernel change
permissions, or do I need to upgrade samba or something? Please help!!!

                                                Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai MacTane)
Subject: Re: How can I stop my eth1 network card
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:48:34 GMT

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 18:23:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (dave)
wrote:

>I have two network cards. One eth0 is for my Intranet and eth1 is for my
>Internet connection.  I want to disable my Internet eth1 connection when I am
>not using my computer.  I can do this in X with the network configuration tool
>but I want to disable/enable from the command line.  I am using kerneld.

The following should do it:

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
./ifdown ifcfg-eth1

To restart it, cd to the same place and use

./ifup ifcfg-eth1

------------------------------

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Kernel HOWTO accuracy?
Date: 16 Mar 1999 20:35:31 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:20:10 -0700, Walter L. Williams wrote:

 >I thinking of trying out the new kernel.
 >(2.2.3)
 >
 >How accurate is the current kernel
 >howto? The one I found on the Metalab
 >(sunsite) site is dated late May 1997.

Check out

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.html

and be sure to read Documentation/Changes

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet serving?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:18:24 +0000

Byron Hobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>I have a linux server set up on one computer which is being used as a
>games server. I have set it up so that you can telnet into the computer
>and change the game being played in a menu system which i have set up.
>Only problem is, is that when I telnet into the linux server from a Win98
>machine it takes about 1 minute for the login to come up on the screen. I
>have tried many different things but nothing seems to work

This really should be in a FAQ somewhere, it's asked so often.  8-)

Anyway, put the IP address of *both* the windoze and the Linux box into
/etc/hosts on the Linux machine. E.G.

192.168.0.1    windozebox.my.net    windozebox
192.168.0.2    linuxbox.my.net      linuxbox
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Dr Nik Jewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fetchmail timeouts
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:09:23 +0000

Hi,

I'm having some problems with fetchmail on a dial-up (ppp) connection.

I haven't used it since I upgraded to kernel 2.2.x, and now it has
stopped working.

It connects to my pop server and authenticates OK, but times out when it
starts downloading messages.

It reports:

reading message 1 of 21 (2931 bytes) .fetcmail: timeout after 134675440
seconds
 waiting for server to respond.
fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from
pop.swinternet.net
fetchmail: Query status=7

The timeout figure is bogus, as it is set at 300 seconds.  I download
messages fine and immediately with a pop client such as Kppp or
Netscape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Jaworski)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Version of gcc?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:28:53 -0600

Jason,

This one is so simple, that I am afraid people may ignore it.

Ufortunately, I am at work and my Linux box is at home, so I am quoting from
memory, but just try typing
                    gcc --version
or
                    gcc -v
and you should get an answer.  You can also check the gcc man page by typing
                    man gcc
in your, say, xterm window (if you are running X) or on the console and
check the options to the gcc command.  One of them should display the
current version.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy Jaworski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Prutser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.1 upgrade to kernel 2.2.1
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:54:42 +0100

sounds to me you upgraded OK, apart from the following:

I think you need to run depmod -a manually. On my system it did not run
automatically from rc.d
ipportfw is replaced by ipchains so you need that package to get
masquerading to work again.

I had to modify some settings also in my /etc/conf.modules to get stuff
working again, although I had no probems with my network card

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Date: 17 Mar 1999 00:09:18 GMT

On 16 Mar 1999 20:35:31 GMT,
 Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:20:10 -0700, Walter L. Williams wrote:
>
>  >I thinking of trying out the new kernel.
>  >(2.2.3)
>  >
>  >How accurate is the current kernel
>  >howto? The one I found on the Metalab
>  >(sunsite) site is dated late May 1997.
>  >
> Check out
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.html
>
> and be sure to read Documentation/Changes

Or for non-redhat users, http://www.linuxhq.com/ has a very good list of
things (as always) that you'll need to get.  (With a new kernel comes a
pile of new and replacement toys -- many of the old ones won't work.)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Martin)
Subject: Re: test
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:03:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, it says Mark Rounds
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just testing My news server

You flunked.  The correct question is "what is alt.test?"

That's why it's there.

------------------------------

From: "dxtr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation of linux with win98
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:30:55 GMT

Could someone please advice me whether i can install linux (SUSE)on win
98 running in fat32 filesystem.
if possible kindly reply at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks Guys
Lookin forward for an early reply.
dxtr
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.

------------------------------

From: "The Lone Scribe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is a "winmodem"?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:19:46 -0800

HAL wrote in message <7cmqs6$b3c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>    I often see a term "winmodem", whether all internal modem is
"winmodem",
>how to tell it?

Winmodems slough off a lot what used to be handled in hardware onto
software, making it a lot cheaper to manufacture but also makes them
incompatible with anything but Windows, another part of Micro$haft's master
plan to dominate the known world. You can tell if an internal modem is one
of these purposely crippled ones if it says 'winmodem' anywhere on the box
or in the manual. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the the card itself
and see if it is far less 'populated' than most other internal modems, and
if you cannot set the IRQ or COM port by hand. Or, if it just won't work
with Linux no matter what you do. External modems don't suffer from this
disease, so I'd stick with an external modem if I were you.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Kwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:31:14 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Matthew W Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First, if these questions have been asked already, i apologize in advance.
>

> i am running RH 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36 on a large ethernet (static IP)
> with an Ne 2000 card.
>
> My problems are these:
>
> at boot up, the card is not detected.
> (on the rh faq, it said to try insmod and set the irq and io with insmod.
> after this, the card is detected, however, all those settings are lost
> after a reboot)

First thing first, is your ethernet card PNP?  If so, go to the
vendor's web site an see if they have an utility that'll allow you to
permanently set the IRQ and I/O of the ethernet card.  That'll fix your
detection problem.

If that's not the problem, are you using LILO?  If so, I believe you
can pass the IRQ and I/O parameters of the ethernet card with a line in
/etc/lilo.config.  Try reading the LILO HOWTO.

> after logging in, i cannot make any internet connections.
> (aside from the ethernet detection, the problem seems to be connected with
> my routing tables and settings associated with the ethernet card)
>
> the routing table (/sbin/route) only shows my loopback, but not my
> gateway; how do i set up my tables so eth0 knows to use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as
> its main router?
>
> and how do i make these fixes permanent so i don't have to do them each
> time i reboot or boot up. (i run three operating systems on this machine;
> hence the reboot).

You need to set the gateway and DNS server.  DNS info should be entered
in /etc/resolve.conf.  As to setting the gateway, I don't know where
that is located with RH 5.2, but with Slackware, it's set in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

> i know there were a lot of questions there, but i will be extremely
> appreciative of any help that i may get
>
> Thanx in advance
> ~ Miller

Note that I use Slackware so location of these files may not be the
same as RH.

I think your problem is the PnP ethernet card, see if you can set the
IRQ and I/O permanently and RH should be able to autodetect and most of
your problems would simply go away :-).

Good luck,

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:21:08 -0600
From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The kernel HOWTO provides some general guidlines for updating the
kernel. When you unpack the kernel source there is a README file in the
linux directory, check that for how to build the kernel. also in the
linux/documentation directory read the Changes files, this describes
kernel changes and other dependent packages that will need to be
upgraded, compiler, linker, libraries etc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:25:59 GMT

Jason White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm having trouble compiling my kernel for the network card I want to
>use (cCom 3c905b).  I suspect part of the problem might be the version
>of the gcc I'm using.  I can't remember what version it is from when I
>installed it.  How can I find out and how can I  upgrade it if need be?
>Thanks,

gcc -v

will tell you the version and where it is installed. 2.7.2.3 is the
lowest acceptable version (according to my kernel 2.2.1 documentation).
Many, many ftp sites will have various versions of gcc. If you
want .rpm files then the home site for your distribution is the best
place to look. Otherwise check for a mirror site near you on www.gnu.org.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info**
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:00:03 GMT

Greg Gershowitz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: Someone tell my why this is such a big deal?  Every unix box in
: existance has a unique ID.  It's the hostid.

Well, there's a command called "hostid", and it makes a function call to
"sethostid" and/or "gethostid".  However, it is not required that they return
unique values.  For example, my Linux box (Cyrix processor) returns a number
that converts back to my IP address.  That IP address may vary from time to
time.  Some Digital UNIX boxes I just tried all return 0 for hostid.  Some Sun
boxes return unique (at least unique between the few I looked at) values, and
they are not related to the IP address.  However, the Sun boxes do not
constitute "every unix box in existance[sic]".

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Is anyone usin ISDN modems?
Date: 16 Mar 1999 15:54:52 -0600

Björn Ekström ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a zyxel omni.net plus ISDN modem. Has anyone used that modem with
: linux? I have no problem to connect with a analog US robotics modem but with
: the zyxel it seems to be difficult to make a connection.

I don't use a Zyxel but happen to know of a problem that occurs when
switching from ppp-2.2.0 to ppp-2.3.5 .  Try adding the pppd option
"asyncmap 0".

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: Denis Dallaire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ip_masquerade and Diablo 's Battle.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:30:24 -0500

Hi , i wonder if someone is able to play diablo on the battle.net with a
machine behind  a linux server with ip_masquerade.

I cannot, i always get an error telling me that i cannot process UDP
packets.

Here are my rule :

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0 -P all

Can someone give me a hint ?

The blizzard site tell to open UDP port 6117 but I thnik that he is
already open
but it still don't work

All the help will be apreciated, respond by e-mail

Denis Dallaire
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:59:57 -0800

Winmodem is not a bad idea by itself.  Lack of driver is the problem.
Same goes for USB devices.  I wouldn't touch either one until drivers
are available for DOS, Win31, Win95 and Linux.

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: NFS w/2.2.x, won't allow mounting of shares
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:09:27 +0000

I've upgraded to 2.2.x kernel (currently 2.2.3), and installed the knfsd
utilities, as well as compiling in the NFS and NFSD options in the
kernel.  I'm running RH 5.1, somewhat upgraded to 5.2, with a mix or
more recent utilities to accomodate the new kernel.  Pretty much
anything that needed to be upgraded for the new kernel has been.

As far as I can tell, the format for the exports file hasn't changed,
but the docs for knfsd are idiotically sparse.

So, my kernel (2.2.3), is compiled with the following network file
systems options:

#
# Network File Systems
#
# CONFIG_CODA_FS is not set
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_SUN=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
# CONFIG_SMB_WIN95 is not set
CONFIG_NCP_FS=m
# CONFIG_NCPFS_PACKET_SIGNING is not set
# CONFIG_NCPFS_IOCTL_LOCKING is not set
# CONFIG_NCPFS_STRONG is not set
CONFIG_NCPFS_NFS_NS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_OS2_NS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_MOUNT_SUBDIR=y

I have knfsd installed and running:

root:reliant linux$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs status
rpc.statd (pid 1159) is running...
rpc.mountd (pid 1177) is running...
rpc.nfsd is stopped
nfsd (pid 1373) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 1168) is running.

AFAIK, /etc/exports is correct (I don't *think* the format changed for
2.2.3, did it?):

/usr/src        ds9(rw,no_root_squash)
/usr/IBMdb2/V5.0/doc/en_US/html ds9(rw,no_root_squash)
/home/db2inst1/sqllib/java ds9(rw,no_root_squash)
/home/me2v/projects ds9(rw,no_root_squash)
/usr/local/netscape  *.voyager.home(ro,no_root_squash)

When I try to mount (any) one of the shares on my other machine, I get
the following results:

root:local $ uname -nr
ds9.voyager.home 2.0.36
root:local $ mount reliant:/usr/local/netscape netscape/ -t nfs
mount: reliant:/usr/local/netscape failed, reason given by server:
Permission denied

/var/log/messages on reliant tell me:
Mar 16 18:02:37 reliant mountd[1177]: authenticated mount request from
ds9.voyager.home:762
Mar 16 18:02:37 reliant mountd[1177]: getfh failed: Operation not
permitted

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  All the docs said to
switch to knfsd instead of the (not maintained-)nfs-server, and I did,
but now I'm having all sorts of problems.  What gives? Wasn't the
"complete rewrite" supposed to be faster and more efficient? This has
been fairly frustrating, and as far as I can tell, everything is
configured properly.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas