From: Kent M Pitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: networking with 3c905B-TX
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:26:19 GMT

"Sean P. Konkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You may actually find that PnP is _off_, and that that is your problem.

No, my problem was that PnP was actually.  (But thanks for highlighting
that this was an issue.)

I did a clean install from CD-ROM once I figured out how to turn PnP
OFF and everything worked fine with one 3c905B-TX board and one Netgear
board... I

The problem for me was compounded by the fact that on my Compaq 2266,
BIOS Setup doesn't offer itself as an option at system startup--you
just have to know it's there.  Experiment suggests that if after you
see the huge Compaq logo you press ESC *immediately* (before the LILO
prompt that happens two seconds later), you end up in a mode where
it tells you how to get into BIOS Setup.  From there it's easy to
disable PnP and both cards (the Netgear 3c905B-TX and the FA310TX)
worked fine at that point with NO special kernel, NO special driver,
NO special boot options, and nothing in conf.modules other than
 alias eth0 3c59x
 alias eth1 tulip
The version of Linux I am using is RedHat 5.2 from MacMillan.

It did not work for me to use two Netgear cards together (I had an
extra Netgear FA310TX card laying around to try this with), but that
may be only the documented fact that two of the same kind of board
doesn't work in a modular configuration.  I thought about trying to
compile the kernel in the other mode, but I was just too tired after
weeks of debugging trying to make this work.  Good luck to anyone
else trying this--I hope the above debugging information helps anyone
searching from DejaNews.

In general, I found DejaNews (http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml)
searching comp.os.linux.* to be much better quality "support" than what
I got from either 3com or Netgear.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralph Wesseling)
Subject: Re: setting MTU and MRU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:28:07 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Gero H. Marten"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "J.M. Paden" wrote:
>
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002]
>
> Hey people, this is a Linux newsgroup!

Yeah so!?!  If you have windows clients and you have network problems
accessing your linux server then this is the obvious newsgroup to ask for
information.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Super C5)
Subject: Re: Telnet serving?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 07:01:18 GMT

I know an easy way to fix it if you have a small number of computers on your
network.  Go into netconf  -> Misc -> Information about other hosts -> Add ->
then add the information.   An example might look something like this after
you've added it:
192.168.0.1  My_PC.SATLINK  MY_PC

I hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Rob Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,comp.unix.solaris,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:17:31 +0000

> I name my machines after rock groups, symphonic for the servers, whatever
> for the workstations. Hence I have genesis, yes, jethro (my own), zeppelin,
> asia, marillion and queen. I've also mixed some solo singers and local
> music artists from Venezuela.

I did something similar, but I had stereolab, slint, heavenly, fridge,
cactopus, girlfrendo, hardvark, prolapse and so on, and no one had heard
of any of them!

Rob

------------------------------

From: "Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Error message with 3c900 NIC
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:12:43 +0100

When I boot my comp the card is detected. No probbs. But just after that
(after some more boot messages like daemon initializations etc). I get this
repeating error message:

eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000

The message NEVER stops.. At the login prompt I could get this for e.g.

"username: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000"

But it doesn't intervene with any of the commands. It is not written IYKWIM.
That last part of the messages looks like a IO address, but my card is at IO
e100 (I think)

One other thing. If I boot to DOS using a boot disk and run the diagnostic
program, the media type can not be detected. (Media type = what kind of
cable I'm using) But there is NO problem with the NIC or cable. I’ve tested
both cable and card on a different computer (I'm using BNC (caox) on my 3com
3c900 combo card)
Could someone give me a hand with this?

Thanx

/Martin

------------------------------

From: Stephen Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller.
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:16:07 +0000

Hi there,

No it did not. I have been just waiting to see if any more replys come in.  I have
go my system going with a DE450 10Mhz card. But due to my sites UTP wiring
standards I have had to create a butched cable wall cable. Its a long story, anyhow
I would real like to get the on board controller to work. This way I will have a
much better chance of converting the other users system here, off NT and Over to
linux.

I was planning to send a mail message to [Donald Becker] and/or other on the tulip
development site to see if I can get some assistance, and what I need to feed back
to them.

Do you mind if I ask what your interest is in this, can you suggest other coursers
of action?

Cheers,
Stephen Ashley.

=========

------------------------------

From: "The Dude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with ping
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:41:52 -0800

The Linux box is connected to the internet with ppp and is the one I'm
trying to ping from. What other details do you need?

TIA
Steve B.

------------------------------

From: "The Dude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sniffing for Linux on the wire
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:00:34 -0800

I'm in a situation where they are sniffing for Linux workstations and
booting them. Is it possible to identify Linux boxes from sniffing the wire,
If so how?.

Steve B.

------------------------------

From: "Kim Örkenrud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SNMP manager for linux
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:18:49 +0100

Hi
Is there any SNMP manager for linux.
I'd like to graphically se my servers and routers and the status of them.
Any suggestion?
/Regards
Kim

------------------------------

From: "Kevin D. Snodgrass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Sextuple Boot
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:32:10 -0600

DaZZa wrote:
> HORSE HOCKEY!

So, why don't you tell us what you really think about
NT-boy's stupid blather.

(duck)

:-)

--
Kevin D. Snodgrass              | Money in Washington (D.C.)
                                | is like honey to bears,
Spam-proofed email address,     | they can't keep their paws
intelligent beings will adjust. | off of it. - Steve Forbes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 2.2.3 over RH 5.2: DHCPCD problem with Cable Modem
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:34:13 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:50:23 -0500, "Jeff Volckaert"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello Everybody,
>
>I have several Redhat 5.2 systems with the 2.2 updates and kernel 2.2.3.
>DHCPCD works fine on all of them, but my system connected to my cable modem.
>If just fails after timing out.  I've tried backleveling DHCPCD to the
>version on RedHat 5.0 and 5.1 and still no address.
>
>Any help?

Hello,
Have you made all the updates mentionned in the Changes file when you
upgrade to 2.2.3 ?

Manu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tri Tram)
Subject: Re: cable modem
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:25:45 GMT

I am using Redhat 5.0 distribution.  I am not using any dhcp client
since I have have a static IP address.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John R. Campbell)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,comp.unix.solaris,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:19:02 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:17:31 +0000, Rob Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I name my machines after rock groups, symphonic for the servers, whatever
>> for the workstations. Hence I have genesis, yes, jethro (my own), zeppelin,
>> asia, marillion and queen. I've also mixed some solo singers and local
>> music artists from Venezuela.
>
>I did something similar, but I had stereolab, slint, heavenly, fridge,
>cactopus, girlfrendo, hardvark, prolapse and so on, and no one had heard
>of any of them!

        At our server lab we've got an interesting mix:

                Biblical names (adam, eve, cain, moses, sampson...)
                Mythical names (hercules...)
                Character names (tom, jerry, moe, larry...)
                Names from StarTrek (atoz...)
                Oddball Names (eithernet, stpeter...)
                Bird names (pelican...)
                Linux related (tuxedo because penguin was taken)

        and, in this room full of Unix/AIX boxes, our two NT servers
        have the monikers:

                ratbert
                rodney

        'cuz there ain't NO way these puppies will get ANY respect.

        I'm planning on deploying names from Hitch-Hiker's guide to
        the Galaxy, Dr Who and Red Dwarf (we already have an M20
        named kryten, after all).

--
 John R. Campbell           Speaker to Machines                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - As a SysAdmin, yes, I CAN read your e-mail, but I DON'T get that bored!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Advice on Linux as internet gateway
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:47:30 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.networking, Dale Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I will be switching to ADSL service here at the end of the month when it
>becomes available in my area.  I have several computers at home and I
>would like to network them and use a dedicated machine to provide
>internet access.  I will be networking four pentiums (running win95/98)
>and I would like to use a 486dx2-66 I have as the dedicated machine.
>
>Is it possible to configure Linux to act satisfactorily as an internet
>gateway on a 486?  (Or am I shooting myself in the foot?)

That's exactly what I do here.  A pair of PPros (soon to be three) on
the inside of the firewall, and a 486DX4/100 using IP Masquerading as
the guardian against the Evil Forces Without.  :-)

>Also, is a particular flavor of Linux better suited to this task than
>another?

Probably not.  Although some mini distributions (Trinux is one example)
are sort of specialized for such use.  I just use Red Hat here.

>Although I'm pretty competent working with tcp/ip networks on windows
>machines, I'm pretty inexperienced with Linux and Unix systems in
>general so the most user-friendly recommendations would be appreciated.
>:)

If you don't really need a service running on the firewall box, make
sure you turn it off.  :-)

>As far as hardware is concerned, is there anything I should avoid or be
>leary of?  I have been planning on setting up a 100mb UTP ethernet with
>generic NE2000 NICs and a simple hub.

I have a 3Com 10BaseT hub here, the PPros all have Intel EtherExpress
Pro/100B cards, and the firewall has a pair of el-cheapo NE2000 clone
cards.  They work fine.

>If there are any links or other sources of information you can point
>me to, I'd appreciate it.

DejaNews.  :-)

  http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml

Perhaps also here:

  http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/ADSL.html
  http://www.tor.shaw.wave.ca/~ambrose/

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: After kernel 2.2.3 recompile: DHCP client problem
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Mar 1999 06:32:49 -0500

"Wadels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thanks, I upgraded to dhcpcd-1.3.16-0.i386.rpm as instructed. That didn't
> solve it, but thanks for trying. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated!

the new dhcpcd works differently.  you will need to hack the
/sbin/ifup script to accomodate it.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bilge)
Subject: Re: Purpose of -s flag for command 'du' ?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 11:34:27 GMT

Iskandar D [EMAIL PROTECTED] blared:
 >Hi there,
 >
 >I ran these command under /etc/ directory
 >
 >$du
 >and
 >$du -s
 >
 >What I need to know is that what this -s means?  It only gives me the
 >setting for the bottom of the list from 'du'.

        Yes, it does. Try doing du -s */ where there are lots of
        subdirectories. Then it will be obvious.

------------------------------

From: Brent Warkentin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba Printer Problem
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:53:30 GMT

==============199E417EA8DD99D2AF61FDFF

I am trying to set up a Samba printer with no luck.  I can create a
drive share and access it from the Win 98 machine.  I have followed the
printer set up and can see the printer share in  Win 98.  I set up the
printer in Win 98 using the correct printer driver but when I print I
get nothing happening.  I have tried setting up a different spool area
etc. with no luck.  Any suggestions as to where I should look?

Thanks,

Brent Warkentin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============199E417EA8DD99D2AF61FDFF

begin:          vcard
fn:             Brent  Warkentin
n:              Warkentin;Brent
org:            Durham Instruments
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Applications Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: Andrzej Filip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fetchmail timeouts
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:56:03 +0100

Dr Nik Jewell wrote:

> I'm having some problems with fetchmail on a dial-up (ppp) connection.
>
> I haven't used it since I upgraded to kernel 2.2.x, and now it has
> stopped working.
>
> It connects to my pop server and authenticates OK, but times out when it
> starts downloading messages.
>
> It reports:
>
> reading message 1 of 21 (2931 bytes) .fetcmail: timeout after 134675440
> seconds
>  waiting for server to respond.
> fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from
> pop.swinternet.net
> fetchmail: Query status=7
>
> The timeout figure is bogus, as it is set at 300 seconds.  I download
> messages fine and immediately with a pop client such as Kppp or
> Netscape.
>
> Any suggestions?

Run fetchmail in verbose mode (-v) to see at which moment of
POP conversation the problem occurs.

--
"Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://homestead.dejanews.com/user.anfi

From: Frank Lenaerts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a sniffer
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:00:24 +0100

You can find sniffit at :
ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/powertools/5.2/i386/