Linux-Networking Digest #539, Volume #10         Thu, 18 Mar 99 13:13:39 EST

Contents:
  Compaq DeskPro XL & AMD Lance Network Card (Simon Powell)
  Re: Version of gcc? ("Peck R. Wood")
  how do you install NIC driver in RH5.2? ("Dunn One")
  driver of the SN2000 ether card (Chouki Aktouf)
  Re: Linux 2.2.3 and Ultrix 4.3: incompatible NFS? (Georg Schwarz)
  HELP Linux Diskless TFTP problem? (françois mercier)
  Re: Frontpage and ASP under linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Where to get TCP/IP network programming info?? (John Edwards)
  Re: Encrypted Passwords on a Linux Samba box?! (sn0brdr)
  Re: SSH 2.0 client? ("Peck R. Wood")
  Re: NIS netgroup and mountd problems on RedHat 5.2 (Georg Schwarz)
  Re: how do you install NIC driver in RH5.2? ("Dylan")
  Re: Slow networking ! (Edward Lee)
  Re: MS Exchange server vs Intranet:  What's the difference? (Dick A. Miller)
  Linux server and multipile POP3 accounts (Iztok Polanic)
  Re: Replacing NT Server 4 w/ Red Hat 5.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: does linux support sever-client features (Edward Lee)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (doole)
  TCP buffer size error: (mlarsen)
  How well do you know your market? ("Steve Holmes")
  Re: pppd died unexpectedly ??? (Marc Ledauphin)
  Re: Strange script problems in rc.firewall (Chris Wolfe)
  Re: Difference Between NAT and IPMasquerade ("John Nelson")
  Looking for NAT for Linux (Robert Young)
  Looking for NAT for Linux (Robert Young)
  Re: Machine name themes - what do you use? ("John Nelson")

From: Simon Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq DeskPro XL & AMD Lance Network Card
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:01:12 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a network card on a Compaq DeskPro XL with Red Hat 5.2.
The XL has a built in AMD Lance chip. The Ethernet-HOWTO says:

>The problem with this Compaq machine however is that the PCI directory is
>loaded in high memory, at a spot where the Linux kernel can't (won't) reach.
>Result: the card is never detected nor is it usable (sideline: the mouse won't
>work either)

Well, my mouse does work, but I can't get the card to be detected. Rather that
muck about and get that card working I thought I would try another card.

The question is, will another PCI card (Like a 3Com 3c905) have the same
problem? Do I need to go to a ISA card?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Simon

From: "Peck R. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Version of gcc?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:05:07 GMT

==============168F5ECB5E62A11C8D736BAA

postmaster wrote:

> sorry for the typo, it should be 3c905b
>
> postmaster wrote:
>
> > you did not mention which kernel you're using, but if it is 2.0.36,
> > which comes with redhat 5.2, 3c590b is not supported.  go to
> > http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-12.html
> > for the network cards supported.

What version kernel does work with the 3c905b?  I run slackware and
kernel 2.0.35.  It seemed to work but would come up in 100baseT instead
of 10baseT.  I couldn't get it to switch back.

> > for your question, gcc -v or gcc --version
> >
> > Jason White wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having trouble compiling my kernel for the network card I want to
> > > use (cCom 3c905b).  I suspect part of the problem might be the version
> > > of the gcc I'm using.  I can't remember what version it is from when I
> > > installed it.  How can I find out and how can I  upgrade it if need be?
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason
==============168F5ECB5E62A11C8D736BAA

begin:vcard
n:R. Wood;Peck R. Wood
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Peck R. Wood R. Wood
end:vcard

==============168F5ECB5E62A11C8D736BAA==

------------------------------

From: "Dunn One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: how do you install NIC driver in RH5.2?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:24:31 -0500

I finished the installation of Linux. I skipped the part about installing
the NIC. How do I go back and install the module for the card without
reinstalling? I have an SMC ezcard 10 (PCI) and I've been informed to use
the NE 2000 module. How do I do this? Please help. Thanks....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chouki Aktouf)
Subject: driver of the SN2000 ether card
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:36:01 +0200

  I am looking for the driver for the 10 Mbits/s Ethercard : SN2000.

Thank you for any help

C.A

--
Chouki Aktouf
Tel : 04 75 75 94 31

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.3 and Ultrix 4.3: incompatible NFS?
Date: 18 Mar 1999 15:33:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz) writes:

>I've just upgraded a PC with RedHat Linux 5.2 installed from kernel 2.0.36
>to 2.2.3. I've noticed the following problem:

I now found out that the problems go away when I explicitely set
rsize=8192,wsize=8192 in /etc/amd.conf. Judging from this month's messages
in the am-utils developers' mailing list I assume it's an NFS related bug
in Linux 2.2.X.

--
Georg Schwarz ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP 2.6ui)
Institut für Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi

------------------------------

From: françois mercier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP Linux Diskless TFTP problem?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:38:45 +0100

Please help!!!

i'm trying to connect an old 486 to my linux server
i boot the 486 with a bootrom on floppy
the 486 send the request to server;get an IP adr
prompt the path to the kernel (all seems to be good :-))
so bootpd seems well working
but na it doesnt load any kernel and prompt:

"TFTP: ARP TIMEOUT" :-(((( what does that mean
what to do?????

i've read so many nfs diskless ... howto and no answer
so here is the last chance! once again PLEASE HELP ME

any answer welcome

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
François Mercier

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Frontpage and ASP under linux?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:41:27 GMT

> PHP's a scripting
>language; really cute for how-cute-my-cat-is home pages, but for hard-core
>e-commerce, ASP's where it's at.

Is ASP for Windows based computers only?

What would one use for other platforms?

------------------------------

From: John Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where to get TCP/IP network programming info??
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:30:51 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I was just wondering where can I get information on TCP/IP
> programming? I mean something like how do i use the command
> GetHostByName( .......), etc. I remember seeing manuals for those when I
> was back in university doing network programming. I was searching
> through some RFCs, but I dont see any docs that show that.
>
>   Anyone knows where to get those? Any info is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> p/s: Please cc a reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] . T.Q.
>
> Rgds,
>   CH

Get the Stevens manual.  All you ever wanted to know about TCP/IP
programming and then some!

-- john edwards
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   301.470.4805

------------------------------

From: sn0brdr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Encrypted Passwords on a Linux Samba box?!
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:56:33 -0500

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO

try the link above......

------------------------------

From: "Peck R. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH 2.0 client?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:54:02 GMT

==============B2D62EF06D1892B3AA768DE0

Try Tera Term.  http://www.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

It's freeware and has a ssh 1.5 extension.  I think they are working on
a ssh 2.0 extension.  You may have to hunt for the extension.  I
couldn't find a web page for it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Subject: Re: NIS netgroup and mountd problems on RedHat 5.2
Date: 18 Mar 1999 15:40:04 GMT

solved it: in /etc/nsswitch.conf, netgroup was only nisplus, not nis.

From: "Dylan" <dylanb-remove [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: how do you install NIC driver in RH5.2?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:32:12 +0100

Linuxconf !

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow networking !
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:13:14 -0800

Check your DNS (just a guess).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick A. Miller)
Subject: Re: MS Exchange server vs Intranet:  What's the difference?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:08:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi all...
>
>I work in the maint. dept of a manufacturing
>facility.  I do the Autocad drawings that the
>maint. men use to fix and build things.  I also
>take care of the work orders that the operators of
>the machinery hand in to use when a piece of equip
>needs fixed.

An easy and cheap solution would be to create a multi-user, file
server based Access application that the maintenance and shop workers
can access from any terminal.  They would fill out 'forms', print work
orders, fill out the results section of completed work.  You could
then just pull reports or check to see if they completed data entry.
If they don't want to do the data entry stuff, have them print out the
work order and fill in the blanks by hand.  You would then have to
enter this data into your database before generating reports.

------------------------------

From: Iztok Polanic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux server and multipile POP3 accounts
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:48:59 GMT

We are running a local Linux server. We want also to be Linux our POP3
server and would download all our emails (7 accounts). How should we do this?
_

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Replacing NT Server 4 w/ Red Hat 5.2
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:39:37 GMT

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:45:41 -0500, "Jeff Letendre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Ok, here's what my present goals are for this Linux machine:
>1)    Validate user names and passwords
>2)    Successfully implement the Samba daemon to:
>    2.a)    Create general shares for valid user accounts
>    2.b)    Create shares for private accounting type stuff (a group share)
>3)    Set-up Apache - I "should" be able to figure out this one...
>4)    Perform IP masguerading (basically use the machine as a gateway to my
>ISP)
>5)    DNS (both forward & reverse PTR entries)
>
>I am currently trying to log into the machine using "Client for Microsoft
>Networks"
>I am using both TCP/IP and NetBEUI.  My machine will log me into itself
>because of the *.pwl file, but it will not log me into the Linux machine.

start:settings:control panel:network:client for microsoft
networks:properties:

put a check in the log on to NT domain

specify the domain. and apply your changes.  restart your computer.
Now it will try to verify your password with the "nt" (linux + samba)
server.

>I have set-up Samba but I don't think it's correct.  I can't see it in my
>network neighborhood from the 95/98 machines.

question: Is or was there an NT machine on the network when you set up
samba?.  The reason I'm asking is, I have linux running samba as the
domain controler verivying passwords and acting as a file server.  The
linux machine did show up in my network neighborhood.  I hooked up an
NT machine and linux decapeared from network neighborhood fo good.  I
have since got rid of the NT machine but linux never re-appeared AND
all workstations weather signed on or not appear in network
neighborhood make it difficult to use.  Linux still validates
passwords and acts as the file server, you just need to know the name
of the machine and shares to access them.

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does linux support sever-client features
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:58:41 -0800

Oh yes, this news group only work in theory.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doole)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:17:04 GMT

Ok, then...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morely Dotes) apparently said this:

>Let me try this one, then:  Are you screwing your 10-year-old cousin?
>
>Don't want to answer that, and the very fact that anyone would even ask pisses
>you off?

Of COURSE I want to answer it! No I'm certainly not! Furthermore, I
want the world to know that!

It doesn't piss me off at all. It just makes me wonder about the
interogator. <g>

My own attitude is that if you really want to look into my underwear
drawer, go ahead, it's your own tough luck. Personally, I can't see
how 'privacy' has improved my life in any way. I try not to do things
in private that I would be ashamed to do in public. (Except for the
obvious stuff, like sex and other biological functions, which OUGHTN'T
to be done in public. But I would hope enough common sense will
prevail to exclude those things from the discussion.)

If you need YOUR privacy, then go ahead and fight for it. That's fine,
I'm just curious about folk's thoughts on it.

My fault, I know, but I still don't quite get the jist.

------------------------------

From: mlarsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comps.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: TCP buffer size error:
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:14:52 +0000

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated:

   In /usr/src/linux/net/core/sock.c, if the TCP send or receive buffer
size is
changed using a SO_SNDBUF or SO_RCVBUF parameter in setsockopt(), the
buffer
size is set to twice the value that is requested.  The comment included
makes
no sense to me, but clearly the application should get the buffer size
that
it requests, and not twice that size.  Taking the '*2' out of the max()
function should easily fix this.  If there is some obscure reason why
this
is left in, please explain it to me.

                    Dave Turner  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

      case SO_SNDBUF:
         /* Don't error on this BSD doesn't and if you think
            about it this is right. Otherwise apps have to
            play 'guess the biggest size' games. RCVBUF/SNDBUF
            are treated in BSD as hints */

         if (val > sysctl_wmem_max)
            val = sysctl_wmem_max;

         sk->sndbuf = max(val*2,2048);

         /*
          * Wake up sending tasks if we
          * upped the value.
          */
         sk->write_space(sk);
         break;

      case SO_RCVBUF:
         /* Don't error on this BSD doesn't and if you think
            about it this is right. Otherwise apps have to
            play 'guess the biggest size' games. RCVBUF/SNDBUF
            are treated in BSD as hints */

         if (val > sysctl_rmem_max)
            val = sysctl_rmem_max;

         /* FIXME: is this lower bound the right one? */
         sk->rcvbuf = max(val*2,256);
         break;

*   Dr Dave Turner               Asst Scientist - Ames Lab - ISU  *
*   524 Physics                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]               *
*   Iowa State University        Phone:(515)-294-8872             *
*   Ames, IA  50011              Fax:  (515)-294-0689             *

From: "Steve Holmes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.dcom.lans.token-ring,comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.admin,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc,comp.mail.imap,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.
Subject: How well do you know your market?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:20:07 -0000

Dear All,

STRIKE International Ltd is a niche recruitment agency specialising within
the PC Support, Networking and Infrastructure markets.

We are currently in contact with a large number of highly qualified and
experienced candidates who are seeking their next job; these range from
Helpdesk Analysts through to Desktop Project Managers. As such, we are
always keen to hear about managers who are currently looking to strengthen
their support teams.

If you are aware of vacancies either within the Company that you currently
work for or any other Company, we would be very pleased to hear from you.
Remember, we may be trying to help you out in the future! We do appreciate
your time and do offer a "thank you" of £500 for any vacancy that we manage
to fill. (We would need the name of the Company and manager who is
recruiting, along with a brief overview of what is needed). Any conversation
will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence unless you would like your
name mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I do look
forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards
Steve Holmes
STRIKE International Ltd
0181 408 3950

------------------------------

From: Marc Ledauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd died unexpectedly ???
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:14:57 +0000

hallo wrote:

> I use SuSe 6.0 with KDE 1.0 and I got a lot of trouble with kppp.
> After I get a connection to my provider (terminal authofication), kppp
> interrupts with the
> mesage "pppd died unexpectedly".
> - pppd is installed to the kernel 2.0.36
> -suseppp is installed and configured with yast
>
> Can anybody help me ??
> Thanks , Thomas

Hi!

Try a look in your .kde/share/config/kppprc file

try this:

# KDE Config File
[Account0]
TotalBytes=400090
AutoName=0
ExDNSDisabled=0
ScriptArguments=ogin:,YOURUSERID,assword:,YOUR PASSWORD,
AccountingEnabled=1
Phonenumber=00836061318
TotalCosts=202.36    <------- So much ???
IPAddr=0.0.0.0
Name=provider          <------ It's an example ;-)
Domain=provider.domain    <---- that too
VolumeAccountingEnabled=3
pppdArguments=-detach,
Password=
Command=
ScriptCommands=Expect,Send,Expect,Send,
Authentication=0
SubnetMask=0.0.0.0
DNS=,194.117.200.10,194.117.200.15,
AccountingFile=/France/Local.rst   <---- Yes It is !
DefaultRoute=1    <----------- Look that
Username=
StorePassword=1
Gateway=0.0.0.0
DisconnectCommand=
[Modem]
BusyWait=0
EscapeResponse=OK
AnswerString=ATA
HangUpResponse=OK
NoDialToneResp=NO DIALTONE
ConnectResponse=CONNECT
InitDelay=52
Enter=CR/LF
FlowControl=CRTSCTS
RingResponse=RING
InitString=ATZ0
HangupString=+++ATH
InitResponse=OK
Timeout=30
AnswerResponse=CONNECT
DialString=ATDT
UseCDLine=0
EscapeString=+++
Device=/dev/cua0
NoCarrierResponse=NO CARRIER
BusyResponse=BUSY
Lockfile=/var/lock/LCK..modem    <---- Verify that
EscapeGuardTime=50
Speed=115200
[General]       <------------------Verify this section too
QuitOnDisconnect=0
ShowLogWindow=0
DisconnectOnXServerExit=1
DefaultAccount=club-internet
iconifyOnConnect=1
AutomaticRedial=0
NumberOfAccounts=1
ShowClock=1
DockIntoPanel=0
pppdTimeout=30

That'all

Hope that will help you

Marc Ledauphin

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Strange script problems in rc.firewall
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:32:53 GMT

What script are the variables being declared in?
Have you tried replacing the variable names with the actual values?

Maybe if you post the scripts in which the variables are being declared,
and the rc.firewall script someone will be able to find your problem.
AFAIK intip and extip are not declared by default in any Linix distro,
unless you add them to your startup scripts.

Chris

PS: Please avoid cross-posting. Try one or two newsgroups, and then try
again in others if you can not get an answer after a few days.

------------------------------

From: "John Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difference Between NAT and IPMasquerade
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:35:34 -0800

Nathan Vuong wrote in message <7cq4b5$o96$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi All,
>
>Could someone shed some light into the difference between NAT
>and IPMasquerade.  Functionally, both seem to have same objective
>that is to translate internal IP to external/valid IP.

The name?

------------------------------

From: Robert Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for NAT for Linux
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:34:16 -0500

To Linux Netter,

Currently, I am using Windows NT 4.0 Server with the NAT to attach my local
network to the Internet through a 56K dial-up as follows:

         Internet 56K
   <---+ Local Dial-up
       | To ISP     +---------+
       +------------+NT Server+------+-----------+----. . .------+
                    +---------+      |           |               |
                                +----+----+ +----+----+     +----+----+
                                |Linux Box| |Linux Box| ... |Linux Box|
                                +---------+ +---------+     +---------+

What I would like to do is to replace the NT server with a Linux server.  I
am
wondering if there exists a Network Address Translation (NAT) for Linux?

If you have done such thing through a NAT or other means and would like to
shed some light in helping me to replace my NT server box with a Linux
server,
I certainly would appriciate your help.  Thank you in advance.

--
Robert Young,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:35:53 -0500

To Linux Netter,

       +------------+NT Server+------+-----------+----. . .------+
                    +---------+      |           |               |
                                +----+----+ +----+----+     +----+----+

From: "John Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,comp.unix.solaris,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:07:40 -0800

John R. Campbell wrote in message ...

> and, in this room full of Unix/AIX boxes, our two NT servers
> have the monikers:
>
> ratbert
> rodney

What, no room for Asok?

> I'm planning on deploying names from Hitch-Hiker's guide to
> the Galaxy, Dr Who and Red Dwarf (we already have an M20
> named kryten, after all).

Of course! Deep Thought!