Linux-Networking Digest #545, Volume #10         Thu, 18 Mar 99 23:13:42 EST

Contents:
  Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Routing question... (second try) ("MokeKahuna")
  Help: Network card problems ("O'Loughlin")
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2 with redhat 5.2??? (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: unknown interface ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: MAC and Linux (Ronald Ng)
  ISP<->Wingate(WIN NT)<->Linux (Jorge Nagasaki)
  Re: hacked login (telnet) (Colin)
  IP Masquerading with Red Hat 5.2 ("Darrell")
  Samba Problem!!!!! ("Jean-Réginald Louis")
  Modem Hang up after connection ("mung")
  Re: cable modem (Stuart R. Fuller)
  multicast address (Geunhyung Kim)
  Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?! (Andrew Comech)
  Computer Park - Linux TCP/IP socket programmer (Mark Worsdall)
  IP Forwarding (Cameron Donaldson)
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ("George Csahanin")
  Re: Virtual IP's on a 2.2.2 kernel. ("George Csahanin")
  Even innocent people need privacy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  telnetting machine, delay _after_ login (Matthias Pigulla)
  Re: Looking for NAT for Linux (Benjohn007)
  How to activate network card (razoon)
  Re: Multiple PPP connections (Edward Lee)
  Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 (Andy Johnstone)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:00:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:  I am building a system of Linux machines for a local school to run on donated
: 486's and interface with a card catalog stored on a VAX system running VMS.
: Basically I need to interface with the VAX across the network using telnet or
: something similar, which in itself is easy, but I'm having difficulty getting
: VT320 terminal emulation. Does anyone know of a VT320 terminal emulator for
: Linux or a good method of emulating VT320? Setting TERM=vt320 does not work,
: BTW.

Are you sure that you need a VT320 emulator?  Most software of this ilk is
happy with a VT200 emulator, or even a VT100 emulator.  The VT320 is a
superset of the VT100/200, but most software on VMS is geared toward the 100
or 200.  Actually, most software on VMS is geared toward ANSI compilant
terminals, which the 100/200/300 are.

If you're using the X Window System, then "xterm" is probably sufficient for
your needs.  Just start up an xterm, and telnet from there.  I believe that
the Linux console is also sufficient.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "MokeKahuna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Routing question... (second try)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:58:42 GMT

This very true.  Specifically I have RoadRunner service and they advertised
the speed difference: 192Kbps upstream and 1.5 MBps downstream.  In general
for basic to average users (a very large population on the internet now
days), this is the case (ca. 10:1).

For folks who want to do more uploads, you're on the wrong side of the
street (stream).

<7cs807$o4p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "O'Loughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Network card problems
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:18:36 -0000

I have a Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ (PnP) network card running on a RH 5.1
system. I can't get any of the intel modules to load. The card isn't
recognized in the install ether, How do I get the bloody thing to work? or
even what module do you use? I'm new to this linux OS and the HOWTO's
haven't helped me.

Help!

Mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Diarmaid O'Loughlin

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2 with redhat 5.2???
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:42:12 -0500

I've also had this.  it said, loading linux and reboot immediatly.  If you DO
have a clean source rerun your configuration, and turn off all hardware
'bugfixes.'  Chances are you won't have the bugs they fix anyway.  Once i did
that, it booted fine.  Hope it helps

Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: unknown interface
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:38:24 GMT

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:09:15 +1300, "Keith Clethero"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please help!
>
>I'm trying to set Red Hat 5.1 to work with two network cards.  One is a
>NE1000 and the other is a NE2000.  Both cards work when installed
>separately, I have compiled a kernel with IP forwarding enabled and pass the
>following to the kernel with lilo.conf
>append="ether=5,0x320,eth0 ether=10,0x300,eth1"
>At boot the first NIC is found followed by delaying eth1 initialisation.
>ifconfig shows lo and eth0.  When I type ifconfig eth1 it returns a message
>saying unknown interface.
>What do I do to have the NIC recognised by the system?
>Any help would be very welcome, thank you.
>
>Cheers
>
>Keith

Thanks to Phil, Stefano Del Cont and everyone else.
Seems the problem, at least with using the same module for both NIC's,
is to do with the base address and irq.  I set up my /etc/conf.modules
as follows

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x320,0x300 irq=5,10
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300,0x320 irq=10,5

The above may be belt and braces but at least it works and I can see
both network cards!  Yahoo!  A good end to the week.
Thanks again everybody.

Cheers

Keith

------------------------------

From: Ronald Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAC and Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 02:44:09 GMT

True, Appletalk is chatty, but Netatalk with SMB will work smoothly together.
This shouldn't be an issue.

--
Ronald Ng
Systems Engineer, NetScreen Technologies

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:36:25 -0300
From: Jorge Nagasaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISP<->Wingate(WIN NT)<->Linux

Anyone have successfully make wingate work with Linux?
I m trying to access a internet ISP from LINUX machine connected
to a Windows NT machine (with Wingate) and this windows NT
connected to ISP via dial up , and it fails.
from windows NT everything is fine.  Looks like I could not
get the wingate proxy server working.
Also wingate support gives me configuration information for Windows NT
in both machines, looks like they don't klnow about linux.
I appreciate any suggestion.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hacked login (telnet)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:49:36 -0500

hosts.deny

ALL:ALL

hosts.allow

in.telnetd: 192.168.1.  (replace with your subnet IP)

You will have to enable the telnet daemon.

HTH

Colin

--
Why gain the world but lose your soul?
Wisdom is much better than silver and gold.

}I'd try hosts.allow to be only the protected side machines, and make
}hosts.deny hide for a while.
}
}As I recall, you can't have stuff in hosts.allow and hosts.deny, just one or
}the other. But if I'm wrong, someone will point that out.
}
}Are you using the right syntax for the hosts.allow file?
}
}-gc
}
}[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <7c9vk8$9o2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
}>I want to allow telnet access to a Internet connected server;
}>but *only* form the local LAN connected machines.
}>Is this possible or not. I do not wish telnet access available
}>via the Net at all.
}>I have disabled most unnecessary services via the inetd.conf including
}>the telnet deamon. I would re-enable it if I could limit it's authority
}>via hosts.allow or hosts.deny - but how? Nothing I've tried does the trick.
}>
}>-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
}>http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
}
}
}
}

------------------------------

From: "Darrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Masquerading with Red Hat 5.2
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:45:06 -0500

Can anyone give me some sort of direction on setting up IP Masquerading on
Red Hat 5.2? I am new to Linux and this is my first attempt at doing
anything with it and so far it has resulted in an endless search of HTML
documents that all point to another document.

I need to take my machine that has two ethernet cards, connect one card to
the wireless 256K internet connection we have (I have done this and accessed
the web with no problem) then I need to connect the other network card to an
internal network of the 192.168.1.xxx variety. I have setup the second
network card as 192.168.1.1 and connected it to a hub, then I connected a a
windows98 machine numbered 192.168.100 to the hub but I can not ping the
192.168.1.1 machine from this machine. If I reconfigure the Windows98
machine to our other network and connect it to the internet, I can ping the
Linux machine from the internet on its adapter marked 209.198.17.41. I am at
somewhat of a loss on how to trouble shoot this. I have the HOWTO dated
February 7, 1999, but I don't really see a troubleshooting guide with it. I
have enabled IPV4 routing in Red Hat. Is there any routing information that
needs to be added in the Network Configurator to make this work? I didn't
see anything about routing tables in the HOWTO, only the ipfwadm and I used
the most liberal setting available there just to try and get it working.

Any help would be appreciated. I was hoping to not have to go to the NT
Proxy Server package, but since I set that up in an hour at another location
and I have little time as it is it is looking more likely.

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Réginald Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba Problem!!!!!
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:47:21 -0500

I have some problem setting up samba to acces my linux machine from a Win98
machine. All my network device work and I can use smbclient to access win
share drives, but I can't do the opposite.

------------------------------

From: "mung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Hang up after connection
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:54:57 -0000

I try to connect Isp with my Slackware linux. My modem is automatically hang
up after starting "Established Serial Connection......".
My modem is Rockwell compatible V90.

Thank you very much.
bandu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: cable modem
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:00:03 GMT

Tri Tram ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: Ok.  So far, I got the network card working, the linux working, and the
: cable modem working.  I can telnet out, ftp out, browse out of the linux
: box.  However, after a few minutes, my connection is suddenly lost.
: They just cut my connection for no apparent reason.  I have @home cable
: as the service provider.  Any ideas why my connection just stops for
: no apparent reason?  Thanks for any response.

What do you mean "my connection is suddenly lost"?  Do you mean that Netscape
is unable to reach remote hosts?  Do the lights go out on the cable modem?

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Geunhyung Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: multicast address
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:56:34 +0900

Hello !
I have a question about multicast address.
I would like to know how the multicast address to be assigned in the
Internet.
Is there any reserved address zone for multicast ? if so, how can the
group assign it's own address for multicast communication ?

Could you explain how multicast address should be assigned in the
Internet ?
And is there something  to do in the router for multicast communication
?

I wll appreciate your any response.

Regards

Geunhyung Kim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?!
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:33:53 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am using an AOpen FM56-ITU (isa) modem with RedHat5.2.  This was the
> easiest thing to setup.  All I had to do was set the jumper to com2
Lying, old man! That modem is preconfigured to use COM2, IRQ3!

Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Mark Worsdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Computer Park - Linux TCP/IP socket programmer
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:49:05 +0000

Hi,

The gut in mentioned in the Stack source (Stefan), are you a former
computer park person?
--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(
Home:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WEB site:- http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Cameron Donaldson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Forwarding
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:28:59 -0500

Hi...

I just got linux installed a couple days ago (I've actually had it
installed many times before)...

I finally got my ppp dial up connectiong running properly, and would
like to set up a web page (just to kind of test things out)...
Unfortunatly, i have a dynaminc IP :o( ... Is there a way i can have an
address set up in linux that will forward the user to my current ip ??

so instead of typing out my new ip each time, I want the person to type
something like user.host.com, and have them redirected to my current
IP...

Are there any programs/services like DynIP available for linux ??

I'm running Redhat Linux 5.2...

Thanks for the help.... Cameron D.

------------------------------

From: "George Csahanin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,linux.admin.isp
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:17:56 GMT

From: "George Csahanin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Virtual IP's on a 2.2.2 kernel.
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:13:30 GMT

You sure you have that kernel compiled to do that?

-GC

<7ck151$le7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Even innocent people need privacy
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:13:03 GMT

There's this attitude that if you're not doing anything wrong, then you
shouldn't worry about lack of privacy.  That's wrong; here are examples.

- Do you want potential thieves to know that you're going on vacation?
Do you want them to be able to find what alarm company you subscribe to,
if any?

- Do you want your competitor to know about the product you're developing,
or the employee you're thinking of hiring?   In fact, executives who
fly private planes are now bitching about a public database that lets you
type in the number of a plane and retrieve its current flight path.

- Are you so sure that you're innocent?   Here's what local police often
do to trap men in alleged rape cases.   The woman says it was rape; the man
says it was consensual.  The police are quite sympathetic to the man, and
ask him to describe what actually happened, in great detail.  Then they
charge him with sodomy in addition to rape.   Since he admitted to sodomy,
which is often still illegal but few people know that, he hasn't a chance,
even if the sex was consensual.

From: Matthias Pigulla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: telnetting machine, delay _after_ login
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:19:13 +0100

Hi folks,

I've got some problems telnetting to a host over the network. _After_ I
entered my login name and password, there's a 60 seconds delay before I
get my shell prompt. The same occurs after su'ing root (and entering the
password).

I already found a lot of hints that delays occuring _before_ the login
prompt have to do with DNS timeouts. But, my DNS seems to work fine...

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Matthias
--
   w e b f a c t o r y | matthias pigulla
      www.webfactory.de  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benjohn007)
Subject: Re: Looking for NAT for Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 00:21:11 GMT

I think ipmasquerading does the same thing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (razoon)
Subject: How to activate network card
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:47:08 GMT

How can I activate my network card at boot-time?
I know I can activate it in X-windows ->network configurator.
But I want it to be active at boot-time.

When I run ifconfig I get the following message:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:65 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:18 errors:7740 dropped:65 overruns:0

What do  those errors mean?
I dont see a message about eth0. Why not?

regards

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple PPP connections
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:56:40 -0800

Yes, Yes, load balancing.

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:00:42 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my ethernet card working with linux.  I have to some
extent, I found a semi-supported .c file as a driver written for it.
The driver worked, under kernel 2.0.36.  However, i can't get it to
compile under 2.2.1.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I get errors
like SLOW_DOWN_IO not defined, dev_tint not declared, etc.  Maybe
someone that knows about drivers can fix it?  I tried, but I know too
little about network drivers to understand how I need to fix it.  If
anyone is interested email me.

Thanks!
Andy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  Remove the nospam. to email me