Linux-Networking Digest #553, Volume #10         Fri, 19 Mar 99 09:14:35 EST

Contents:
  Re: DNS entry for dynamic IP address ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  pppdialin/#of_rings/voice_calls (Harry Park)
  Re: Configuring Linux as mail server .. (Gert Wollny)
  Re: Cannot connect to shared drives on SAMBA SERVER from WIN98 CLIENT ("liam toh")
  Re: IP Forwarding (Kevin Martin)
  Re: ISDN (DaZZa)
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** (Tim Roberts)
  Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller. (Tiger)
  Re: Routing question... (second try) (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** (Greg
Gershowitz)
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** ("Jeffrey S.
Kline")
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** (Stuart R.
Fuller)
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** (Bill Anderson)
  Re: PCI modems in linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Recommend Fast Ethernet Card (Jon Slater)
  SuSE 6.0 - PCMCIA Xircom CEM33 (Somf)
  Solaris x86 and Alpha Linux: Not Playing nicely ("Shana Tackett")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DNS entry for dynamic IP address
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:37:49 GMT

In article <7csfnd$gu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Terry Mathews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's the scoop. I want to put this Linux box (Red Hat 5.2) on a static IP
> address as an Internet server, e-mail server, yadda yadda yadda. Here's the
> trick. I'd like to be able to have 2 computers log into the machine and have
> them assigned DNS names. Both machines connect to the internet via modems
> and get dynamic ip addresses.

Dynamic IP's don't "work" with DNS.  In a way they do, but not in a way you're
probably going to find useful.. more in a bit.

> They aren't in the same subnet as the server will be.

That doesn't matter.  So long as you have the authoritative name server(s) for
your domain, you can point the IP addresses at anything you like (including
other people's IP addresses, if you had the odd desire to do so).

> [Example with bogus IP addresses deleted]
> Is this possible?

Yes and no.

Here's a quick primer on how DNS works.

1) I type "skunx.reconnoiter.com" into my browser. 2) Netscape contact my
primary DNS and asks it to look up "skunx.reconnoiter.com" 3) My primary DNS
checks to see if it has "skunx.reconnoiter.com" in its cache -- this is what
makes dynamic IP's mostly unusable, because what's in the cache may not be
what IP you're using today. 4) My primary DNS then returns the IP (if it is
in cache) or sends the request further "up" the chain (checking with root
nameservers and whoever runs "reconnoiter.com").

As you can see, the only step in the process that you'll have any control over
is step 4 -- and that assumes no caching is going on, which isn't always true
(in fact, it's almost never true).

You could set the TTL (TimeToLive) for your DNS entries to something very
low, but that's not a very nice thing to do at all, and in any event there
are many many DNS machines out there that ignore the TTL anyway (mostly
because of jerks that set it too low).

If you happen to know what the *range* of IP addresses will be, you can
assign a unique name to each of them.  When you're assigned an IP address,
you'll also end up being "assigned" a DNS name.  This may or may not work for
what you want to do (probably not), but it's about the closest solution you
can get.

Really, the best thing to do is to ask your ISP for more static IP's.

-Bill Clark

> Please respond via e-mail. Thank you.

If dejanews had a feature to do so, I might consider it.

Then again, asking for email replies in usenet is generally considered rude,
so maybe I wouldn't. :)

From: Harry Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppdialin/#of_rings/voice_calls
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:03:32 -0500

==============BC946B225D250BA3FAB92108

I am using uu_getty(2.07j-3) for dialin connectivity to my Linux 5.1
machine.
I have 2 questions:

Can I make uugetty ignore voice phone calls on the  line? As it is now
when
someone calls the house the modem trys to talk. Useful for telepromoters

but
not for family members.

How do I set the number of rings to 5 rings?

Included is my /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS2 file

INITLINE=cua2
ALTLOCK=cua2
TIMEOUT=60
INIT="" AT\r OK\r\n
WAITFOR=RING
CONNECT="" ATA\r CONNECT\s\A
DELAY=1
DEBUG=010

TIA

--
Harold Park---System administrator
remove nospam from return address for

==============BC946B225D250BA3FAB92108

<HTML>
I am using uu_getty(2.07j-3) for dialin connectivity to my Linux 5.1
<BR>machine.
<BR>I have 2 questions:
<P>Can I make uugetty ignore voice phone calls on the&nbsp; line? As it
is now
<BR>when
<BR>someone calls the house the modem trys to talk. Useful for telepromoters
<BR>but
<BR>not for family members.
<P>How do I set the number of rings to 5 rings?
<P>Included is my /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS2 file
<BR>&nbsp;
<P>INITLINE=cua2
<BR>ALTLOCK=cua2
<BR>TIMEOUT=60
<BR>INIT="" AT\r OK\r\n
<BR>WAITFOR=RING
<BR>CONNECT="" ATA\r CONNECT\s\A
<BR>DELAY=1
<BR>DEBUG=010
<P>TIA
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Harold Park---System administrator
remove nospam from return address for
accurate email addressing</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

==============BC946B225D250BA3FAB92108==

------------------------------

From: Gert Wollny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring Linux as mail server ..
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:22:32 +0000

I assume, it is not your mailserver, which returns the mail, but an
outside smtp server (relay or target-host).
Some of them check, if your given domain exists.
If mydomain.com dos not exist outside your intranet, there are two
workarounds: either you change your hostnames to an existing domain (if
you owne one), or you tell sendmail, to change the FROM adress of all
outgoing mail to a adress which is also valid outside your intranet. If
you use a relay host, you will also have to tell sendmail, not to use
it, if the mail is locally to be delivered.
There are lots of M4 scripts for configuring sendmail. You will have to
costumize one of them. Its not too difficult, but I did it some time
ago, and can not remember the steps I did. Anyway, its documented in the
howtos.

If you have further questions, you may contact me under
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
When reading mail to this adress, I sit at home, in front of a small
Linux-Win95-Intranet, and can have a better look, what I did to solve
the problem.

Hope it helps

Gert

--
There are three sorts  of mathematicians:
The first one is able to count till three, the second one is not.

Max-Planck-Institute of Cognitive NeuroSience
http://www.cns.mpg.de

http://gerti.home.pages.de

------------------------------

From: "liam toh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to shared drives on SAMBA SERVER from WIN98 CLIENT
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:07:10 -0800

>root:0:7E638C38F146E9A6AAD3B435B51404EE:611B779573C5481E8091149DFC6A68EC:ro
>> > ot:/root:/bin/bash

I have a similiar problem, after trying to set up my smbpasswd file with the
command:

cat passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >smbpasswd

as described on Paul Sery's website, I came up with a smbpasswd file that
has password entries like this:
adm:3:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:adm:/va
r/adm:
is this just a default set up? Do the X's indicate no password? How should I
add user passwords?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Martin)
Subject: Re: IP Forwarding
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:33:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, it says Cameron Donaldson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote>

>I finally got my ppp dial up connectiong running properly, and would
>like to set up a web page (just to kind of test things out)...
>Unfortunatly, i have a dynaminc IP :o( ... Is there a way i can have an
>address set up in linux that will forward the user to my current ip ??

There was an organization called Monolith that provided a service that would
do exactly what you're looking for... but they folded their tents last year.

I've seen scripts to allow you to sort of roll your own version of this:
grab your dynamic IP address and post it somewhere external to your site or
even mail it to someone else so they could find you.  A semi-automatic
version of what you're trying to do.  Sorry, I didn't save any URLs but you
should be able to find it with a bit of perseverance on dejanews.  It was
definitely in the linux groups.

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: ISDN
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:51:45 GMT

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Has anyone connect a linux box to a workstation using an ISDN link ? I
> want to get two machines talking to each other using PPP on an ISDN link.
> Ethernet would be the best option I know, but I can't use it. I've had a
> look at the HOWTO's and can't find anything that is of much use.
>
> My main question is how do I setup the link ? How do I get one machine
> to "dial" the other ? They will be connect directly to each other in a LAN
> config.

You use PPP. :-)

The ISDN line card should just be another device to Linux, which can be
accessed the same way as /dev/ttyS0 or /ttyS1 would be for a dial out
modem.

There's a pretty good how-to provided with most distributions - have a
look for it.

DaZZa

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Roberts)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info**
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:34:38 GMT

John Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Kano wrote:
>>
>> Oh come on. Many other standard devices (ethernet cards, for example)
>> have their
>> own unique serial numbers that software can use at will. Get over it.
>>

>Yes - but ethernet mac cards are only broadcast over the lan, not over
>the net (except by Office98, of course).

The POINT here is that it is exactly as easy to embed my unique MAC address
in an Internet transaction as it is to embed my unique Pentium-III CPU ID
in an Internet transaction.  Any software which will go to the trouble to
fetch the unique CPU identifier and send it over the network to identify me
could just as easily be written TODAY to use a MAC address for exactly the
same purpose.  The CPU identifier is not significantly different in concept
from the MAC address, and yet there has not been a hue and cry to boycott
NIC manufacturers.

>And what do you mean get over it???  This kind of personal information
>is valuable.  Business are willing to pay for it.  This kind of
>behavior IS DOWNRIGHT THEFT!!!

But whatever they could do with a CPU ID, they are probably already doing
with a MAC address.  It is just as good as a unique identifier.  "Get over
it" is exactly the right attitude.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tiger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:35 GMT

 the latest tulip driver solved your problem or not?

--

                                      ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
                          \           `9_ 9  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Routing question... (second try)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:35:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chetan Ahuja) writes:

[...]

>a) the routing of traffic is ALWAYS asymmetric.. ie. outgoing packets are
>   ALWAYS using a different route than the incoming packets.
>b)  The first hop out of my cable modem IS definitely the bottleneck.
>    And incoming packets always have a much faster path in general than
>    outgoing packets.

[...]

This is actually the default. The technical details of using a cable modem
are not allowing a different and equally balanced up/download ratio at all.
It is a limitation of the cable technology .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Gershowitz)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:35:56 GMT

Someone tell my why this is such a big deal?  Every unix box in
existance has a unique ID.  It's the hostid.  What's it for?
Licensing, mostly.  Of course unix licensing is far more mature than
for windows.  Heck, even a 486 can be made to cough up a hostid.  Of
course, I don't know of any cases where that hostid get transmitted to
a vendor, but what's to stop it from happening?

-Greg G

--
-Greg "TORCHA" Gershowitz
-DG3X's own Extreme Icon

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:38:23 GMT

I just have to step on this one a moment...

Where did you learn computers??? Do you know what "hostid" is really, and
its use and implications??? Do you know about demons, zones, and domains????
I have one of probably 1628904823e4 host ID's on my server only because I
use the same IP as the ones stated in 3 different RFC's about internal
private networks...

Is this over your head yet???

You cannot identify my boxes, any of them, from any of the rest of them out
there in the world. Then there's the story about "Dynamic" IP's which opens
the doors and windows some more on this.... Wanna keep going with this??!!!

The Intel thing is a whole different bag of worms entirely.

Jeff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:38:25 GMT

Greg Gershowitz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: Someone tell my why this is such a big deal?  Every unix box in
: existance has a unique ID.  It's the hostid.

Well, there's a command called "hostid", and it makes a function call to
"sethostid" and/or "gethostid".  However, it is not required that they return
unique values.  For example, my Linux box (Cyrix processor) returns a number
that converts back to my IP address.  That IP address may vary from time to
time.  Some Digital UNIX boxes I just tried all return 0 for hostid.  Some Sun
boxes return unique (at least unique between the few I looked at) values, and
they are not related to the IP address.  However, the Sun boxes do not
constitute "every unix box in existance[sic]".

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:37:34 GMT

Tim Roberts wrote:

> John Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Kano wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh come on. Many other standard devices (ethernet cards, for example)
> >> have their
> >> own unique serial numbers that software can use at will. Get over it.
> >>

> >Yes - but ethernet mac cards are only broadcast over the lan, not over
> >the net (except by Office98, of course).
>
> The POINT here is that it is exactly as easy to embed my unique MAC address
> in an Internet transaction as it is to embed my unique Pentium-III CPU ID
> in an Internet transaction.  Any software which will go to the trouble to
> fetch the unique CPU identifier and send it over the network to identify me
> could just as easily be written TODAY to use a MAC address for exactly the
> same purpose.  The CPU identifier is not significantly different in concept
> from the MAC address, and yet there has not been a hue and cry to boycott
> NIC manufacturers.

Ho wmany home users ar LAN connected to the internet?
oh, yeah, that's right, they dial up with a modem; no getting a MAC
address from a machine that does not have one.

> >And what do you mean get over it???  This kind of personal information
> >is valuable.  Business are willing to pay for it.  This kind of
> >behavior IS DOWNRIGHT THEFT!!!
>
> But whatever they could do with a CPU ID, they are probably already doing
> with a MAC address.  It is just as good as a unique identifier.  "Get over
> it" is exactly the right attitude.

Can you explain how they would be getting a MAC address from my friends'
NIC-less pc?

A MAC address is not as good, in any event. NICs get changed mor often
than cpus (in most cases). IIRC MAC addresses can be changed, and there
have been cases of MAC addresses beinf reused?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCI modems in linux?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:02:29 GMT

Which model # is this  PCI non-winmodem ?  Where is it sold ? I couldn't find
it based on the descriptions on the Actiontec website or using shooper.com.

Thanks

--snip--

  Richard Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, that is incorrect
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Richard Nelson, and I am a Technical support engineer for
> Actiontec Electronics, INC
>
> We do have a PCI modem that is NOT a "Win" modem, it is controller based,
> and uses the Lucent Venus chipset.

---snip---

From: Jon Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:08 GMT

Can anyone recommend a fast PCI Ethernet card for Linux?

Thanks!
--
Jon D. Slater                   QualComm Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     6150 Lookout Road

------------------------------

From: Somf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: SuSE 6.0 - PCMCIA Xircom CEM33
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:36 GMT

Can anyone help. I know there are others with the same problem:

The System see's the card just fine. Got Link, Got traffic light
blinking, but can't get system to talk to the network. I can ping the
localhost, but nothing on the network, not even the default router. Network
configs look okay to me!

Using: SuSE 6.0
System: Toshiba Tecra 8000
Ethernet Card: PCMCIA - Xircom CEM33

Per SuSE Documentation, I have:
  Disabled the Network configs for the Ethernet in YAST,
  Created a Scheme and used lilo to setup the network (it appears to be fine).
  in rc.config set: PCMCIA_PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0 irq_mask=0xefff"

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED IN ADVANCED!

Here are my current configurations. Maybe someone see's something I don't:

# cardctl ident
cardctl.txt
Socket 0:
  product info: "Xircom", "CreditCard Ethernet+Modem 33.6", "CEM33", "1.00"
  manfid: 0x0105, 0x110d
  function: 2 (serial)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C7:57:F8:4C
          inet addr:139.103.100.188  Bcast:139.103.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x2d0

# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
139.103.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         139.103.100.254 0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0          0 eth0

FROM dmesg:
  xirc2ps_cs.c 1.31 1998/12/09 19:32:55 (dd9jn+kvh)
  eth0: Xircom: port 0x2d0, irq 3, hwaddr 00:80:C7:57:F8:4C
  ttyS03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
  eth0: media 10BaseT, silicon revision 1

From: "Shana Tackett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Solaris x86 and Alpha Linux: Not Playing nicely
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:05:44 GMT

Hello,

I have setup the NFS server on RedHat 5.1 Linux on an AlphaStation 200. I
installed
the RPM from the CD. All the RC scripts where already in place so I left
them alone.
When I enter the command rpcinfo -p it shows that the portmapper has an
entry for
nfsd for tcp and udp as well as mountd. When I export a directory from
Solaris
and import to Linux, everything is great, but not vice versa. When I mount
the nfs file
system on Solaris, I get a warning about the NFS server not supporting
locking.
Everything seems ok at  first but as time goes by I get NFS server not
responding
errors and can essentially do nothing in the NFS mounted directories. I have
read
the HOWTO and essentially followed it. Am I missing something here?

Thank you in advance.

http://home.att.net/~sltackett