Linux-Networking Digest #564, Volume #10         Fri, 19 Mar 99 21:15:20 EST

Contents:
  Redhat 5.2 on a CTX EX700 laptop ("Milind")
  Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller. (Stephen Ashley)
  Intel EtherExress 16 ("R. Brooks")
  Cable modem problem.... (Al Roeder)
  Re: Realtek 8029 Ethernet Card PCI ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: DNS entry for dynamic IP address ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem... ("Frank Dziuba")
  ypmake or ypinit for NIS setup ? ("Dominique Vorbrodt")
  Re: PPP PROBLEMS!! NEED HELP URGENTLY! (Al Roeder)
  Multiple NICs ("Stephen Osborn")
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** ("Michael
Barnes")
  No networking (Edwin Hart)
  PPP PROBLEMS!! NEED HELP URGENTLY! ("andylow")
  Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info** ("Brent
Cornwell, Pediatrics Computer Administrator")
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card (Rod Smith)
  Re: Win98 >< Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Milind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on a CTX EX700 laptop
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:47:22 -0500

Im running Redhat 5.2 on a CTX EX700 laptop. The cdrom does not get probed
during installation. So i managed to install redhat by creating a dos
partition and copying the cd into it. Everything works fine except the cdrom
and a few other things.

1. I have a ESS audio card and i dont know if its compatible. If it is, is
there any drivers for it.
2. There are 3 partitions in the hard drive
      hda1 has the suspend software for the laptop (150M)
      hda2 has the /  partition (1.25G)
      hda3 swap (150M)
      hda3 dos partition (500M)
  The problem is that I am not able to boot of the hard drive. It does not
allow me to install the boot loader on hda2. I had to make a boot disk. Is
there a way to boot off the hard drive.

Thanks in advance..
Milind

------------------------------

From: Stephen Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Tulip driver, with buildin 21143 controller.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:17 GMT

Hi there,

No it did not. I have been just waiting to see if any more replys come in.  I have
go my system going with a DE450 10Mhz card. But due to my sites UTP wiring
standards I have had to create a butched cable wall cable. Its a long story, anyhow
I would real like to get the on board controller to work. This way I will have a
much better chance of converting the other users system here, off NT and Over to
linux.

I was planning to send a mail message to [Donald Becker] and/or other on the tulip
development site to see if I can get some assistance, and what I need to feed back
to them.

Do you mind if I ask what your interest is in this, can you suggest other coursers
of action?

Cheers,
Stephen Ashley.

=========

------------------------------

From: "R. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel EtherExress 16
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:57:36 -0500

I am using 2 networks cards.
One NE2000 and a 16 bit Intel EtherExpress 16.
linux detects them both fine, but the Intel card
says it is using the AUI connector.
How can I change this?
There is no jumpers.
I was hoping it would autodetect but it doesn't.
Also, when the card is plugged in I can't connect
to anyone with the eth0 (the NE2000 that usually works.)

thanks,

Randall

Randall Brooks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.glendinningprods.com
Senior Engineer
GMP (843) 399-6146 FAX (843) 399-5005

------------------------------

From: Al Roeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cable modem problem....
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:54:35 GMT

I know there are many postings with this subject, and I've tried the
suggestions in them, but the thing still won't work....
(technical definition of still won't work:  DHCP fails, if I try putting
in the static information, I can not ping the gateway, but I can ping my
IP number, and I have worked with the routes and default gateway).

I'm using Red Hat 5.2.
I've tried setting it up for DHCP through the X-Windows setup and by
editing the configuration files by hand.  I've tried DHCP and manual IP
configuration.

My Wintendo box connects to the Internet fine.  It is the machine that
was originally hooked up (it is using manual configuration).  I then
remove the 10base-T cable that goes to the Wintendo box from the hub and
plug in my linux box cable (The cable to the cable modem stays plugged
in).  I can not ping the gateway with linux.

I know that the linux interface card is good because I accidentally
plugged both the Wintendo box and the Linux box into the hub at the same
time and got a conflicting IP error (the IP that is on the cable modem
install sheet).

One thought:  could the fact that the Wintendo box and the linux box
have different ethernet cards matter?

    -Al

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Realtek 8029 Ethernet Card PCI
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:42:58 GMT

In article <7cp30n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Henry) wrote:

> I had to replace my ISA ne2000 ethernet card due to failure. So I bought
> a Realtek 8029 PCI ethernet card. The problem is how to I get linux to
> find it and use it. It did not work with the ne module so I tried  ne2k-pci
> . When it boots It detects the card but complains the IRQ of 0 will not
> work(of course). My PCI BIOS is neptune and I went in to the PCI setup and
> set the IRQ to 12 but linux does not see this. I boot to 95 it does not show
> the IRQ that it is using  but just the I/O address and of course networking
> works there so I know the card functions. The howto says it should work
> but I think my neptune BIOS does not report the IRQ to linux. Is there a
> step I am missing or something else I can do (like force the IRQ like you
> can for ISA cards) ? Thanks
>
> --

Hi,

If you are using Redhat, set your card to Ne2000 PCI, the realtec card will be
automatically detected correctly.

good luck,

Niels

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DNS entry for dynamic IP address
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:48:40 GMT

In article <7ctmv5$tfk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was under the impression that a DNS name is read backwards.

Well, actually it can be read either way, but in the way you want to use it I
guess you could say it reads "backwards".

> For example: if I registered "enon.oh.us" with a static ip of 198.6.245.100
> and made it a DNS server, computerst that went to lookup "cheetah.enon.oh.us"
> at a dynamic I{ of something like 207.90.118.70 it would go to enon.oh.us at
> 198.6.245.100 to see where cheetah is in that domain.

If the local DNS for the client has never heard of "cheetah.enon.oh.us", then
what you describe is indeed what would happen.  Once the local DNS has done
this once, it will cache the information, so whatever it received the first
time will be what it keeps until the TTL expires (if the server is configured
to pay attention to such things, which -- like I said -- many, many aren't).

> Since the caching would be controlled on that machine and I control both, why
> would TTL and caching be a problem?

You answer your own question right here:

> Or,do individual DNS servers cache everything, including subnets in DNS
> names?

That's right.
Caching wouldn't be very useful, otherwise :)

Look, DNS was simply _not_ _designed_ to work with dynamic IP addresses.  If
you try to make it work, you're going to piss off a lot of people (low TTLs
are only supposed to be used when a renumbering occurs -- which isn't
supposed to be every time you connect to the internet!).  You'll probably
just end up getting your domain blocked by most big DNS admins, which
probably isn't what you want, right?

If you're going to set up DNS for your own domain, you _must_ have static IP
addresses if you're going to do it right.

-Bill Clark

From: "Frank Dziuba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:20:13 GMT

No good. Neither device lets you set the IRQ because they are both PNP PCI
cards

------------------------------

From: "Dominique Vorbrodt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ypmake or ypinit for NIS setup ?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:41:54 +0100

Hello out there
A hopefully simple question.
According to standards I understand
/usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m
is the command to set-up a NIS database in /var/yp

However on my Suse Linux Server 6.0 I can't find the command ypinit but only
a command ypmake.
Is this to be used ?
Thanks for a hint.

Dominique.

------------------------------

From: Al Roeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP PROBLEMS!! NEED HELP URGENTLY!
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:05:04 GMT

Looks to me like the speed doesn't match up or you have the wrong settings for
stop bits, parity, etc.  This generally will shoot out garbage like that.
    -Al

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple NICs
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:08:54 -0700

I have an internal private network and have just recently received ADSL with
a NIC. I cannot seem to get the Linux box to communicate over the second
NIC( eth1).

tcpdump indicates that there is traffic on eth1, proving that the NIC
drivers, ifconfig, and connection are good.

But, I get "Operation not permitted" messages when I try to ping anything
that is supposed to be on that network.

Can anyone help?

------------------------------

From: "Michael Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.python,comp.lang.tcl,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The truth about the Pentium III chip and ID --- **boycott info**
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:04:52 GMT

Every MODEM has a MAC address also...so your friends pc is nicless, but not
macless
As far as I know you cannot network anywhere without a mac address since
IP's map directly to machine addresses at lower levels to identify your
particular machine on any network.  So, if your connected to any network via
any hardware device (router, switch, modem, nic) those devices must have mac
addresses.

and modems are easy to replace compared to CPU's also...

------------------------------

From: Edwin Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No networking
Date: 19 Mar 1999 21:32:15 GMT

Hello u wise wise linux usr's.  I've got a Lan at home and i have a compaq
4860 with redhat 5.1.  and a 3com 905b TX Nic.  I can't even ping other
computers on my LAN and on boot up i get a whole bunch of errors

eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered.  Irq blocked by another device.
eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register ffff

I booted into win 95 and change some irq settings, mainly my scsi card (a
whole nother issue altogether) which was on the irq 11 w/ my nic card.
Changed that and still got the same error

Thanks in Advance
Edwin

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: In need of VT320 terminal emulation on Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:40:35 GMT

In article <jijrc7.77n.ln@localhost>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Are you sure that you need a VT320 emulator?  Most software of this ilk is
> happy with a VT200 emulator, or even a VT100 emulator.  The VT320 is a
> superset of the VT100/200, but most software on VMS is geared toward the 100
> or 200.  Actually, most software on VMS is geared toward ANSI compilant
> terminals, which the 100/200/300 are.
>
> If you're using the X Window System, then "xterm" is probably sufficient for
> your needs.  Just start up an xterm, and telnet from there.  I believe that
> the Linux console is also sufficient.

 The VAX I'm connecting to specific states it runs VT320 emulation. I
believed that simple VT100/200/200/etc would work as well, but the
maintenance software for the card catalog system involves the use of the
"PF1" key to navigate menus as well as the keyboard keys. Using VT220 and
pressing the plain F1 key on the PC keyboard it reacts as if you pressed
"PF1" in the telnet session. After using, the menuing interface for a while,
however, the emulation stops working and the PF1 and arrow keys stop working.
It's a very old VAX system run by the government (surprise) to manage
school's library, grading, etc. systems. Perhaps there is a way to emulate
the keyboard or load another key map? I have found surprisingly few
commercial VT320 emulation packages too, though that would work if one
existed.

Thanks for your time,
Jesse

From: "Brent Cornwell, Pediatrics Computer Administrator"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:06:01 GMT

Greg Gershowitz wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Someone tell my why this is such a big deal?  Every unix box in
> existance has a unique ID.  It's the hostid.  What's it for?
> Licensing, mostly.  Of course unix licensing is far more mature than
> for windows.  Heck, even a 486 can be made to cough up a hostid.  Of
> course, I don't know of any cases where that hostid get transmitted to
> a vendor, but what's to stop it from happening?

the problem with Intel's PSN is not the fact that it actually HAS a serial
number, but their REASONING behind putting it in the chip. They said it
would improve e-commerce. HOW exactly would it improve it, other than verify
the identification of the computer (and possibly, but not always, the
user)... The problem comes in when (and i've already heard people wanting to
do this) web admins start to incorporate the processor identification into
their servers, so as to associate a specific serial number (the PSN of the
user's computer), with any and all accounts that user may have at that
website... That alone doesn't garuntee that the person using the computer is
the owner of the account... and also, making scripts with such an
association makes a mess and several arguments between user and webmaster,
when the user tries to access his/her accounts from another computer.

...and who's to say that the original owner of the processor isn't going to
sell it to someone else? and then they'd have "authorization" to access
his/her accounts?????!!!!

...and i'm sure crackers have already designed a worm to go around the web,
extracting serial numbers when it comes across P3 systems....

just a little to think about...

Brent Cornwell, Computer Support Administrator
Pediatrics Dept., LSU Medical

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:41:16 -0600

Jason Rotunno wrote in message <7cs67n$sns$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|when i read "what ditro" threads a lot of the benefits and drawbacks
|discussed have dealt with setup/configuration and x.  not taking into
|consideration x, WM's, x apps, etc is there any real difference between
|the major distros aside from setup?

   Red Hat and it's derivatives have linuxconf and that is damn handy.  The
purists like running down scripts, but it is nice to have most of the config
options in one place.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 03:27:51 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Jon Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can anyone recommend a fast PCI Ethernet card for Linux?

I'm sure you'll get many conflicting responses to this one.  ;-)

If by "fast" you mean a 10/100 card, then you may be interested in some
history.  Many of the 10/100 PCI cards on the market are based on the DEC
"Tulip" 2114x chips or derivatives/clones thereof.  I don't know the
details, but apparently Intel bought the portion of DEC that was
responsible for this chipset and, according to one rumor I've heard,
discontinued the line.  Fortunately (?), several companies have come out
with clones of the original 21140.  The question mark is because the
clones aren't all quite 100% perfect clones, so there are major or minor
driver compatibility problems with some of them.  Even the most recent of
the DEC designs, the 21142 and 21143, may pose problems.

To illustrate this (and to know why I've learned this), consider my recent
experiences:

1) Two years ago, I recommended that my boss buy several D-Link boards
   based on the 21040 chipset (an ordinary 10Mbps board).  These all
   worked fine.
2) Two months ago, I bought a Kingston KNE100TX, which was based on the
   21140.  It worked fine for a while, but then started to flake out when
   I booted the machine cold (I mean COLD -- after it had been off for
   several hours).  The board was fine if I then rebooted after letting
   the computer warm up for a while, so I suspect it had some heat-related
   problem.  I returned it to Kingston, who promptly sent me a new board.
3) While waiting for a replacement from Kingston, I borrowed a D-Link
   DFE-500TX, another board based on the 21140.  It also worked fine for
   me.  (Note that D-Link also has a DFE-530TX, which isn't based on the
   same chipset.)
4) The replacement KNE100TX had a 21143 chip with an Intel logo on it.  It
   did not initially work, but an upgrade to the 0.90 version of the
   tulip.c kernel file got it running -- mostly.  It still occasionally
   would flake out (the transmit LED would blink rhythmically, and my hub
   isolated it for excessive collisions).  I figure it'll be fine in some
   weeks or months, when drivers catch up to it.
5) So today I went to Micro Center and semi-randomly picked another
   board, a Linksys EtherFast 10/100.  This uses a Lite-On 82c169 PNIC
   chip (labelled "Linksys" on the chip itself), which is one of the
   Tulip clones.  So far it's been working fine for me, though my perusal
   of Deja News suggests it might give problems if I were using DHCP.

Anyhow, apparently both Linksys and Netgear are now using the
Lite-On/PNIC chip.  FWIW, Linksys is listed in the tulip.c file as having
provided a PNIC-based board for Linux kernel development purposes (SMC and
Znyx also donated hardware, according to that file).

So, the 10/100 ethernet market is currently a bit chaotic because of the
disappearance of "genuine" DEC Tulip chipsets.  There ARE entirely
unrelated chipsets out there.  Intel uses its own design in its 10/100
boards, for instance.  They've got a solid reputation, but I've never used
one myself (these boards cost 2-3 times what a Tulip or Tulip clone board
costs).  I'm not positive, but I believe the chipset used by the D-Link
530TX is unrelated to the Tulip.  I recall hearing that Linux support for
it is fairly recent, but I don't recall the details.

Anyhow, the bottom line is this: Unless you go with an Intel board,
whatever you get will be a bit of a crap shoot, since manufacturers are
still changing designs to use the clone chipsets.  I recommend you buy
something locally from a store with a good return policy.  If it gives you
any trouble, swap it for something else.

The Linux tulip.c file specifically mentions the Lite-On (PNIC), Macronix
(MXIC) and ASIX clone chipsets as being supported.  If you get a Tulip or
clone board and have problems, you might want to try recompiling your
kernel or tulip.o module with the latest tulip.c driver file, which is
available from http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html.

Oh, one other thing:  Check whether the card you buy includes cables or
not.  My local Micro Center was selling two versions of the Linksys board,
one with a cable and one without, for the SAME price!  Perhaps the ones
without the cable used a "genuine" Tulip chipset, vs. the Lite-On one I
got, or maybe it was just different packaging and a lame pricing scheme.
Whatever the case, these boards typically go for ~$30, and you might as
well get a cable with that.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Win98 >< Linux
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:25:20 GMT

I am doing the same thing: 2 machines one NT, one linux.  Set up the 3c509b
on Linux, had to use DOS 3Com config program to turn off PNP, but I was still
hooped.  Doing the crossover wire between the two cards worked just great.

Thank God...