Linux-Networking Digest #606, Volume #10         Tue, 23 Mar 99 18:13:36 EST

Contents:
  Linux IPsec and Check Point VPN-1: interconnect? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  netatalk and localtalk wierdness (Mike Hagedorn)
  Re: Difference Between NAT and IPMasquerade ("Ramon Leon")
  Re: Enough!! What is the best Linux to install? ("Bud Z")
  IPX WOES ("D. Cooper Stevenson")
  stripping tcp headers (Phil Thomas)
  ipchains configuration help...plz:-) ("Scott MacDonald")
  Re: Problems moving from diald to cable ("Jon Etkins")
  Re: WYSE terminal connection to linux box ("Chi K. Chan")
  SO_BSDCOMPAT setsockopt/getsockopt ("Thomas J. Feller")
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (jik-)
  Re: bizarre SIOCGIFADDR problem (Brian McCauley)
  Re: YEHAA!!! ("Mark Swope")
  2.2.3 PCMCIA Ethernet DHCP Woes ("Aaron Mulder")
  Re: NTP ...? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Running MSDOS programs over PPP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Net::Daemon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux into 98 (Lew Pitcher)
  Upgraded to SAMBA 2.0 lp doesn't work (Robert van Loghem)
  Re: Nameserver discovery after pppd starts; How to? (Brian McCauley)
  Sendmail Question ("R. Brooks")
  Re: Delay logging in to telnet, ftp (Brian McCauley)
  Re: SOHOware Auto 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter? (Greg Fruth)
  IP Alias, IPFWADM and IPPORTFW Help Needed!! ("Ken McCord")
  Linux as a firewall!! ("Chad Osgood")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Linux IPsec and Check Point VPN-1: interconnect?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:06:10 GMT

Does anybody know if a Check Point's VPN-1 firewall on one side of a WAN can
talk to a Linux IPsec PC on the other side? Using SWAN or Pluto?

Did anybody ever try or has a running setup for this?

Any hints / suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.

From: Mike Hagedorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netatalk and localtalk wierdness
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:45:11 -0600

Hello:

I have set up a network with a mac (0s8.51) and a linux machine running
RH5.2 and netatalk.  I can mount volumes on the linux side just fine,so
it appears that I have set up the system right, but when I try to ping
the IP of the linux box, it doestnt work.

I originally configured the network using ethertalk,  then switched over
to a hardware ethertalk/localtalk bridge.  I can still mount linux
volumes on the Mac via localtalk, but pinging doesnt work.  It works
when I used ethertalk straight out of the mac though.

Can anyone shed some light on why using localtalk doesnt allow pinging?

mike hagedorn

------------------------------

From: "Ramon Leon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difference Between NAT and IPMasquerade
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:52:17 -0700

wrong, they are both the same thing, just the name is different.  besides
what good would NAT be if you still had to have a gazillion valid external
addresses.  NAT is what the non unix community call it.  Masq is what the
Unix community call it.  That's the only difference!

From: "Bud Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Enough!! What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:36:46 -0800

Thanks Lee ;-)

Bud Z

------------------------------

From: "D. Cooper Stevenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPX WOES
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:27:29 -0800

I said to heck with it and just re-compiled the IPX protocol directly to
the kernal. My IPX problem is still daunting, however. This time with a
simpler (I hope) error message when I try the ipx_configure
--auto_interface=on --autoprimary=on command:

ipx configure: socket: Invalid argument.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Thomas)
Subject: stripping tcp headers
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:03:23 GMT

Howdy all,

Can anyone suggest an existing tool to remove the tcp headers from a
file of raw network data?  (Or, alternatively, extract only the packet
data...?)

thanks,
Phil T

------------------------------

From: "Scott MacDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipchains configuration help...plz:-)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:39:44 -0600

Hi,

I'm reading the ipchains howto right now and am trying to design a
configuration for our linux redhat servers to use as gateways to the net on
a LAN. Basically I have a subnet of live ip addresses to give workstations
that I want to be able to get back to from anywhere on the net, and I also
have the rest of the workstations on the 192.168's. Can someone tell me what
the configuration would be to to allow everyone to get out(both sets of
ip's). Also allow for masquerading. Would it be something like this:

ipchains -A -m forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
ipchains -A -m forward -s  x.x.x.x/x -d 0.0.0.0/0 -b

Is this right? Do I need anything else? Thanks in advance!

Scott

------------------------------

From: "Jon Etkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems moving from diald to cable
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:55:12 GMT

Replying to my own post, because the solution may help somebody else down the
track.

It turns out that there was nothing wrong with my linux setup.  The problem
was with the cable modem and/or Road Runner service.  I initially setup and
tested the cable modem connection using a different machine running Wintendo,
and it appears that road Runner had somehow linked the NIC ID of that machine
with the ID of the cable modem, and while it would allow another NIC to get a
DHCP connection, it would simply not pass anything outside of its own subnet
after that!

When I reconnected the original machine again, it all worked beautifully from
Windoze, OS/2 or Linux.

So the solution appears to be simply to reset the cable modem when switching
from one machine to another.  Now that I have done so, my gateway box is
working beautifully, but the original box won't work unless I reset the
modem.  Not that I need it to anymore - the linux box will remain connected
from now on.

Cheers,
  Jon.

------------------------------

From: "Chi K. Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WYSE terminal connection to linux box
Date: 23 Mar 1999 22:20:20 GMT

rastus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I salvaged a WYSE dumb terminal from our local dump today :)

: I have a null cable (25pin and 9 pin connectors @ both ends), and have
: connected the 25pin to the terminal, and the 9 pin to a comm port. (tty1) of
: the linux box.

:     I tried following the how-to serial doc., but i still get no login
: prompt on the terminal...

: Am I being naive in connecting different connectors with the null cable (ie.
: 9 pin --> 25 pin)  or should this work just fine ?

:     Regards,
:     Mike / Rastus
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   send me no junk (mail) and I'll send you no e-mail
: dictionaries :)

Could there be a setting on the terminal to set up as a DCE or DTE
device ?  Forgot which requires NULL modem cable, the other doesn't.

Good Luck,
Chi

------------------------------

From: "Thomas J. Feller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SO_BSDCOMPAT setsockopt/getsockopt
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:16:11 -0600

The SO_BSDCOMPAT setsockopt option is not described in the
getsockopt 2 man pages on RedHat 5.2.
Is there another place I should be looking for this information?
Where do I report these sorts of problems?

--
Thomas J. Feller
Development Manager

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:59:17 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?

calc best

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bizarre SIOCGIFADDR problem
Date: 23 Mar 1999 20:03:38 +0000

Simon Kilvington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>       in the program below, on Red Hat Linux 5.2 with a 2.0.36 kernel
> if you don't set the sin_family in struct ifreq to a non-zero value
> SIOCGIFADDR returns the HW address (same as you get with SIOCGIFHWADDR).
>
>       is this supposed to happen?

Well it's definitely intentional

                case SIOCGIFADDR:       /* Get interface address (and family) */
                        if(ifr.ifr_addr.sa_family==AF_UNSPEC)
                        {
                                memcpy(ifr.ifr_hwaddr.sa_data,dev->dev_addr,
MAX_ADDR_LEN);
                                ifr.ifr_hwaddr.sa_family=dev->type;

                                goto rarok;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                                (*(struct sockaddr_in *)
                                          &ifr.ifr_addr).sin_addr.s_addr =
dev->pa_addr;
                                (*(struct sockaddr_in *)
                                          &ifr.ifr_addr).sin_family = dev->family;
                                (*(struct sockaddr_in *)
                                          &ifr.ifr_addr).sin_port = 0;
                        }
                        goto rarok;

But, no, it is not right and it's fixed in 2.2.2

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: YEHAA!!!
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:15:08 -0600

Good.  Now you get to answer some
questions here, too!
Congrats, guru!
mas

------------------------------

From: "Aaron Mulder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: 2.2.3 PCMCIA Ethernet DHCP Woes
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:04:36 GMT

    I've installed a 2.2.3 kernel on my Red Hat 5.2 laptop (ThinkPad 765D).
I downloaded all the necessary RPM updates, and the kernel appears to be
working.  I also got and compiled the PCMCIA 3.0.9 package, and that seems
to be working well in addition.  I'm trying to simultaneously configure 2
ethernet cards so I can use this as an "internet proxy" with IP
Masquerading.
    However, it seems that DHCP paralyzes the card manager.  If my eth0
device is set to use DHCP in the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts script, then
everything looks OK at boot.  However, it never creates eth1.  /var/run/stab
claims that the second PCMCIA slot is empty, even though cardctl reports
(some) information for the card there.  But all networking via eth0 works
correctly.
    Here's the weirder part: when I shutdown or halt, I get a message with a
DHCP address for eth0, followed by cardmgr initializing eth1 and a DHCP
address for eth1.  What the heck?  It's like cardmgr got suspended until
shutdown?!?

    If instead I manually assign networking configuration info, everything
works fine.  However, I cannot do that "for real" since the internet
connection doesn't (necessarily)use a static IP address.  One of the Red Hat
updates for a 2.2 kernel was a new DHCP RPM, so I wonder there's a problem
with that, or whether I'm just missing some key configuration steps.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NTP ...?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 21:01:55 GMT

Peter Greenwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Desmond Coughlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>I have a feeling I'm going to have to install Kernel 2.2 as few
>>programmes install now ... does anyone know where I can get a copy of
>>an NTP daemon *known* to work with Slackware 3.5 (kernel 2.0.34)?
slackware-current comes with in.timed now.. That should help...

--
It's nice having Multiple Personalities!        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.infinex.com/~gman                    Keeper of       Bay Area

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Running MSDOS programs over PPP
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:07:43 +0000 (GMT)

> Where do I go (go a HOWTO or URL) to find that answers for what I need
> to do to finish this project?  TIA  KAS

When you have done it, you can provide us with the HowTo. I have
heard people talk about this, but I have never seen it done.

You need to get you two machines to agree on each others IP numbers.

Do services such as telnet, ftp and HTTP work?

You need to be sure that the smbd and nmbd ports are accessible
over the PPP link.

Once you have got started, you can follow the procedures in
DIAGNOSIS.txt .

Ben.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Net::Daemon
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:07:25 GMT

Hi Jochen,

I tried to install Net-Daemon-0_17_tar.gz  and I received  several
errors. I have successfully installed this module on two other Linux
boxes running Perl 5.004_04; The failed install is from a third Linux
box running Perl 5.004_03

Which forum focuses on Net-Daemon?

manowar:/usr/src/Net-Daemon-0.17# make test PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1
/usr/local/bin/perl -I./blib/arch -I./blib/lib
-I/usr/lib/perl5/i486-linux/5.00403 -I/usr/lib/perl5 -e 'use Test::Harness
qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
t/base..............ok t/config............IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine
protocol at t/config.t line 27 IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine protocol at
t/config.t line 27 IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine protocol at t/config.t
line 27 FAILED tests 1-2  Failed 2/5 tests, 60.00% okay
t/fork..............IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine protocol at t/fork.t
line 22 Can't call method "close" without a package or object reference at
t/fork.t line 25. FAILED tests 1-5  Failed 5/5 tests, 0.00% okay
t/forkm.............IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine protocol at t/forkm.t
line 61 Client: Error Cannot connect: No such file or directory at t/forkm.t
line 64.

IO::Socket::INET: Cannot determine protocol at t/forkm.t line 61
Client: Error Cannot connect: No such file or directory at t/forkm.t line 64.

Perl -V on the failed install yields:

manowar:/usr/src/Net-Daemon-0.17# perl -V Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel
4 subversion 3) configuration:  Platform:  osname=linux, osvers=2.0.30,
archname=i486-linux  uname='linux darkstar 2.0.30 #3 tue jun 24 04:08:26 cdt
1997 i486 unknown '  hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
bincompat3=y useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef  Compiler:  cc='cc',
optimize='-O2', gccversion=2.7.2.3  cppflags='-Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL
-I/usr/local/include'  ccflags ='-Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include'
 stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false  voidflags=15,
castflags=0, d_casti32=define, d_castneg=define  intsize=4, alignbytes=4,
usemymalloc=n, randbits=31  Linker and Libraries:  ld='cc', ldflags ='
-L/usr/local/lib'  libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib  libs=-lndbm -lgdbm
-ldbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lc  libc=/lib/libc.so.5.4.33, so=so  useshrplib=false,
libperl=libperl.a  Dynamic Linking:  dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so,
d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-rdynamic'  cccdlflags='-fpic',
lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

  Built under linux
  Compiled at Sep 14 1997 23:03:57
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/i486-linux/5.00403
    /usr/lib/perl5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i486-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

Gil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Linux into 98
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:29:27 GMT

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:44:57 -0500, "Matt Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was trying to telnet into windows, and I figured out that windows won't
>accept telnet connections.  Does NT have any sort of telnet daemon
>available?  Really what I'm trying to do is access my hard drive on the
>other machine (depending which one I am on).  I'm reading all the Samba
>stuff right now, and I think I have it figured out.  Thanks for the info

You either use Microsoft's telnet server (from one of their Resource Kits, IIRC),
or buy a telnet server. We have used the Ataman telnet server successfully.
I've been told that the Microsoft telnet server has large stability problems, but
I cannot speak for or against it myself.

Take a look on Tucows for telnet servers for Win32 platforms

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Robert van Loghem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgraded to SAMBA 2.0 lp doesn't work
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:18:56 +0000

When i upgradeded SAMBA to 2.0 on my server i couldn't print anymore
from any of my workstations..........

anyone have this same problem......

these are the settings for the lp entry in the smb.conf file.

[lp]
          comment =
          path = /var/spool/samba
          guest account = nobody
          read only = No
          create mask = 0765
          guest ok = Yes
          hosts allow = 172.16.3.2 172.16.3.3 172.16.3.4 172.16.3.5
          print ok = Yes
          printer name = lp
          oplocks = No
          share modes = No

the 172.16.3.x are my internal network addresses......the printer on the
machine itself works just fine.....i can print.

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nameserver discovery after pppd starts; How to?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 17:57:44 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Window's does it
> >Macintosh does it
> >How do I get Linux/pppd to find the nameserver address when it connects?
> >
> >I have not seen any reference in the manpages or the howto's about this.
> >Most of these docs say I should put my nameserver address in
> >/etc/resolv.conf. Great! but I don't know what that address is. How does
> >a Windows session know this?  It it running DHCP after ppp is
> >established?
>
> Yes, this is one of those things that Linux does "the right way"
> and suffers for it.

Perhaps a little pragmatism is called for.

> See Carlson's PPP Design and Debugging, pg 77 to see why dynamic DNS
> negotiation doesn't belong in PPP's IPCP.

I totoally agree with Carlson in theory.  But if you want to do it
anyhow:

ftp://ftp.wcl.bham.ac.uk/pub/bam/patches/pppd-2.3.5-get-ms-dns.diff

This adds a new PPP option "ms-get-dns" defined thus:

+Implement the client side of RFC1877.  If pppd is acting as a client
+to a server that implements RFC1877 such as one intended to be used
+with Microsoft Windows clients, this option allows pppd to obtain one
+or two DNS (Domain Name Server) addresses from the server.  It does
+not do anything with these addresses except put them in the
+environment that is passed to scripts.  The /etc/ppp/ip-up script
+should use this information to perform whatever adjustment is
+necessary.  Note: RFC1877 is a horrible protocol layering violation,
+the correct approach would be to use DHCP after the IPCP phase.

The purists who maintain pppd not only refuse to incorporate this
patch into pppd but clearly regard the suggestion a so far beneath
contempt that they refuse to even respond to my e-mails.

Personally I'd rather IPCP could operate without even IP address
discovery.  That way ip-up would get called with remote/local IP
addresses 0.0.0.0 and could use a varient DHCP client to do the job
properly.

From: "R. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sendmail Question
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:57:17 -0500

When I first set up a computer with RH 5.1 I was
having problems with the Network card.
It seemed to lock up after sendmail was to start.

so, I disabled sendmail and finally got the Network Card to work.
I have 2 questions.
1. Does anyone think sendmail/smtp will now work?
2. If I turn sendmail on and that is what locks it up, is there a way
    to pass something to lilo to tell it not to load sendmail?

Thanks,

Randall

Randall Brooks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.glendinningprods.com
Senior Engineer
GMP (843) 399-6146 FAX (843) 399-5005

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Delay logging in to telnet, ftp
Date: 23 Mar 1999 19:26:53 +0000

"Anton Botes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I log in to my Linux box from my Winxx machine, there
> is about a 1 minute delay before the login prompt appears.

4th time today.  So far that is.  I've hardly started browsing.
Must be getting close to a record even for this question.

Anyone know the stats on this?

What is the largest number of times the "broken reverse DNS" question
has appeared in a 24-hour period? (I don't recall seeing more than 4).

What is the longest period between instances of this question in the
last few years? (I'd guess not more than 5 days).

Just when did it start appearing frequently?  (I'd say 1996)

Is this really the current number one FAQ[1] in this newsgroup?
(Almost certainly.  It's hard to judge because only other contender
that I can think of is the question to which the answer is "you need
to be using IP masquerading".  The problem is it kinda difficult to
come up with a simple search criterion that'll find the masquerading
question).

Is this really the number on all time FAQ in this newsgroup?
(Probably).

Is this even the number on all time FAQ in the whole comp.os.linux.*
hierachy?  (Possibly not, "how do I remove LILO" had a couple of
year's head start).

> Any ideas?

Yeah, read the newsgroups you are about to post to.

If you don't then you run a very high risk making a yourself look
foolish[2] by asking the _most_ frequently asked question in the
group.

[1] FAQ in the literal sense of being frequently asked.

[2] "foolish" is a very gentle term.  Over the years I've been
criticised for some of the names I've called people who have asked
this question so now I'm sticking to very mild rebukes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Fruth)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: SOHOware Auto 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 21:52:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Taylor Hutt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is this Ethernet card supported at all by Linux?
> The manual that comes with the card isn't very enlightening about what
> hardware
> is actually one the card, so I haven't been successful in getting it to
> work at all.

The "tulip" driver works for this card, though in some situations you may need
to get the newest version of it (v0.90 or so; RedHat 5.2 ships with v0.89 or
somesuch) from:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

The compilation instructions are a little out of date (w.r.t. RedHat 5.2),
but it's pretty easy to install nonetheless.  Basically, just cc it and
copy it into the net drivers directory!  (Read the instructions in the source
code first.)

It's not obvious, but this SOHOware card uses a Macronix (MXIC) chipset which
is compatible with the DEC tulip chipset.  You'd have to (physically) look at
the card pretty closely to figure out that Macronix is the manufacturer.  The
device list from the MS Windows control panel will identify the card and
chipset for you (assuming you got it working under Windows -- see, Windows
isn't totally useless ;-))

But even armed with this knowledge, it's not always obvious which driver
goes with which chipset.  I figured it out by trying a few until I found one
that worked!

A better method (and the one you've chosen :-) is to ask someone if they
know the answer.  An even better method would be to use www.dejanews.com.
I wish I had done that to begin with; it would have saved me a lot of
grief!

Good luck!

--
Gregory Fruth ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

The Aerospace Corporation
Los Angeles, CA

------------------------------

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Alias, IPFWADM and IPPORTFW Help Needed!!
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:29:07 -0500

Trying to set up a firewall with several IP Aliased addresses.  Addresses
are as follows:

eth0      IP address a.b.c.20 for ethernet card connected to Internet.  Used
            as masq'ed interface to internet
eth0:0    IP address a.b.c.21 to be used to redirect to internal web server
            192.168.1.x
eth0:1    IP address a.b.c.22 to be used to redirect to internal mail server
            192.168.1.y
eth0:2    IP address a.b.c.23 to be used to redirect to internal mail server
            192.168.2.z

I've been able to set up the rules for the eth0 interface and firewall.  I'm
running into trouble getting the aliased interfaces to forward packets to
the respective internal IP addresses.  I've tried IPPORTFW, but I'm still
running into trouble.  Can someone help me out???

Thanks,

Ken McCord

------------------------------

From: "Chad Osgood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux as a firewall!!
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:21:34 -0600

I've got a couple of questions, I hope someone has the answers, or ideas at
least :-).

I've got DSL installation in about a month.  I want to have my 4
workstations, behind a firewall, and still have a DMZ (Demilitarized zone).
I know I can setup the Linux box as a multihomed system with 2 network
adapters, but can I put in 3?  1 for access to the Intranet, one for the
DMZ, and one for DSL?  Here's a simple layout of what I'm trying to
accomplish...

[Internet (DSL)]

     [Firewall (Linux)] ---- [DMZ]

    [Intranet]

Make any sense?  I know all about ipfwadm, so I'm really just curious as to
how to implement the network.  Without the DMZ, I can clearly see how a
multihomed system with 2 network adapters would work, but how can I add the
DMZ?  I will only have 2 systems on that segment, but it needs to be
completely free of the policies on the firewall.  If any of this needs
clarification, please let me know.  I greatly greatly appreciate any
response...

TIA,
Chad