Linux-Networking Digest #619, Volume #10         Wed, 24 Mar 99 18:13:56 EST

Contents:
  Diald question (star225)
  Re: PPP - Geesh (Bill Unruh)
  Re: How to find out about router gateway address?? (Jos de Zwaan)
  Re: Cable modem Howto (EricM)
  NoteBook, Linux and Ethernet Setup Q.? (Homi Najafi)
  Re: Address masquerading (Greg Weeks)
  Re: Setting up a special proxy/router ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  4-Port Server Card ("marc murczak")
  Re: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument (Jussi Torhonen)
  Re: Linux into 98 (David Nillesen)
  Start a PPP-link 'a la' remote (Fam Staal)
  Re: DHCP and name resolving ("Mikael Ostensson")
  Re: e-mail sending problems (not a newbie) ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: YEHAA!!! (Job Eisses)
  Re: Machine name themes - what do you use? (Tom Neilson)
  Re: Problem with DHCPCD 1.3 (Eric Plante)
  Re: "Industrial" Ethernet (James Youngman)
  Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem... ("Mike Kompar")
  Re: A fix for dhcpcd-1.3.17-pl5 (Eric Plante)
  [*nix humour] MS Advertising Campaign? (Morely Dotes)
  Re: Linuxconf and passwd rules (Kevin Dempster)
  Re: Cable Modems & Linux ("Stephen Davis, P.Eng")
  Re: help w/ppp dial out ("kari")
  AOL and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (star225)
Subject: Diald question
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:17:16 GMT

Hello,

I am desperately looking for help for installing the Diald program.
I am not quit new to Linux, but I didnt succeed in installing Diald.
Also.. when i try to unzip the source and install i get all sorts
of "redefine" warnings and errors.. when i do make depend,
make and make install thereby forfeiting the software all together

The faq's and Howto's and manpages I read did not brought a solution
for me.
They all had a different solution, so now Im totally confused.

I have 2 Windoze machines and 1 Linux server (2.2.1), configures in a
LAN.
I can ping the Linux box and viceversa. It seems to work well.
Now I want those Win-boxes to dialup to my ISP using the Linuxbox as a
dialup server.
I can make a internet-connection on the Linuxbox with chat and pppd
and a script.

Now I want to use Diald to do the job.

Please, can someone explain what config files etc I have to build,
and what the contents is, and where I should place them?
Examples of config file would be great.

I want to use the standard Diald program. No extensions on it or so. I
want to
use the basic program.

I am quit hooked on Linux and desperately want to use diald.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP - Geesh
Date: 24 Mar 1999 20:20:06 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Manish Laad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> PS.  You may have noticed that there are a lot of problems with   LInux
>> PPP...   someone could make a lot of money by solving that problem

Well, in the Linux tradition there are actually free solutions.
Read
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

------------------------------

From: Jos de Zwaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to find out about router gateway address??
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:18:09 +0100

Hi!

HLEE PRSN wrote:

> I'm slowly learning the ins and outs of it, and one thing that has
> me stumbling is where I can find out about the router gateway address
> assigned on the linux box.  I looked for a file called /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
> but it doesn't exist.  Where else could I look for this file?  Or, where can
> I find out which file it resides in?

If you're using RedHat, `/etc/sysconfig/network' might be the file you are
looking for.

Greetings,
        Jos de Zwaan

------------------------------

From: EricM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable modem Howto
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:46:30 -0500

Try looking at http://www.cablemodeminfo.com

We recently added a nice section of links on Linux and Cable modems, and this
may help you find what you are looking for.

-Eric
TZO.COM

--
Eric McIntyre
TZO Internet Naming System

Your Source for CableModem and xDSL Information

From: Homi Najafi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,de.comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: NoteBook, Linux and Ethernet Setup Q.?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:46:00 -0500

I installed Linux (RedHat 5.2) on my Toshiba Tecra750DVD notebook and I
have a PCMCIA 3C589C ethernet card.

What should I do now to connect to the network? Should I install driver
for my card?
Would you please tell me what should I do step by step to be able to
connect to the network.
I seems Linux didn't recognize me network card at all.

I'll be appretiated if you can answer to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

Thank you,

Homi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Weeks)
Subject: Re: Address masquerading
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:46:05 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi!
>
> When I send messages with pine, they are sent as
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]?
>
> where umberto is my login name.
>
> I tried writing this line of the /etc/sendmail.cf
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> where tin.it is my provider machine, but now the sender is
> umberto@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Any fix? Thanks,

You can tell pine to use anything you want for the from: line. I
remember it was mildly painful to figure out and I can't find my old
mail message describing how. The from address is normally not shown
and is protected. There were two entries in the .pinerc that I had to
change.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Setting up a special proxy/router
Date: 24 Mar 1999 20:39:19 GMT

In linux.redhat.misc Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
# I want all the clients to be able to connect through the server.  The only
# way I know to do this is in NT in which case we'd use a product like
# WinGate.  Please tell me there is a way to do this in Linux, I'd rather go
# with it for security and stability reasons.  Thanks for any help.

are you talking full network connectivity (ie: masquerading), or do you just
want a web/ftp/etc proxy server?

I don't know what WinGate is, so I'm not sure which you want to do.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

------------------------------

From: "marc murczak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,linux.dev.net
Subject: 4-Port Server Card
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:57:15 +0100

Hello all,

i got a 4-Port-Server Card, which is based on a DEC Chip. So far it works
very well, this one card give the abbility to have 4 seperate cards with 4
ips.
The problem is, under windows nt i can bundle all the ports to 1 pipe, so
that i can use 800Mbps fd. But there has to be an special driver installed.

So is there anybody out there who can program this card that it runs the
same way under linux?

Please reply also to my e-mail, because i have no newsgroup account, thanks

Regards
Marc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jussi Torhonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:16:48 +0200

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, M. Brian Akins wrote:

> I get that on both of my NIC's but everything works fine.  I think in
> RedHat some stuff from a config file is read that shouldn't be or
> something.  I tried to trace it down, but finally figured that it wasn't
> worth it bcs Everything is running great.

I think netconf or linuxconf puts some extra quote marks into files
/etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

None of the parameters seemsto require the quotes around it.

Jussi

Jussi Torhonen   # E-mail:              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tietosavo Oyj    # Corporate website:       http://www.tietosavo.fi
P.O.Box 1582     # Personal homepage:          http://www.iki.fi/jt
FIN-70461 KUOPIO # Tel: +358-17-193231          GSM +358-50-5946209
FINLAND          # Fax: +358-17-193355                73's de OH7DC

------------------------------

From: David Nillesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux into 98
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:14:26 +1100

Matt Anderson wrote:

> Ok, I guess I will have to tone down my earlier enthusiasm a little bit.
> After playing around a little bit, I discovered that windows will not accept
> a connection from linux, even though I can ping it just fine.  I know this
> should be simple, but again I need just a little bit of assistance, even
> point me to a HOWTO or a man page.  Thanks a lot
>
> Matt Anderson
> BTW--I want to ultimately winproxy my internet connection into linux (i'm a
> poor college student and for some GOD-AWFUL reason I'm stuck with a
> winmodem) .

Do a search for a program called "wingate". i think www.tucows.comm may have a
copy of it.
Its bastardized ip masquerading for windows.

------------------------------

From: Fam Staal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Start a PPP-link 'a la' remote
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:54:57 +0100

Hi, i've a little question about starting up a PPP link. I have a linux
box with a ISDN card, and I want to start up the link from another pc,
running Windows 95. I don't want to use telnet or something, my parents
don't understand how computers work, so it must be done with a single
click or something.

Thanks,

Bartjuh (Dutch, so my English could be horrible)

------------------------------

From: "Mikael Ostensson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: DHCP and name resolving
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:14:30 GMT

Marc Teutelink wrote in message <7d50m6$hvn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hello,
>I'm currently running linux 2.2.1 and I want this machine to act as a NT
>server for all mij other machines. I set up DHCP, and all these computers
>retrieve new IP-addresses fromt he server. That works, but now I want these
>IP-addresses to be available for DNS purposes.
>
>How does my nameserver know which IP-address (assigned through DHCP)
belongs
>to which computer. How does DHCP and DNS work together.

they don't.... officially ;)

They are 2 systems developed at very different periods.
What I did was to write a little perlscript that reads and parses the
dhcpd.leases files and put the info in a file that makes sense as part of a
DNS conf file. then I have a standart header that also includes any static
mappings used and appends the dynamic part at the end.

it's ofcource little more complex thant that since the serial number on the
file needs to be incremented and in my case the DNS and the DHCP demons runs
on 2  different servers with a firewall in between.

but there are systems in development now that should incorporate there
things.

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: e-mail sending problems (not a newbie)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:54:04 +0100

Gary S. Mackay wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>sendmail-8.9.3 in "deferred mode"
>fetchmail-4.5.8-2
>ipchains-1.3.8-1

===
>(Yes, I
>temporarily changed my ipchains rules to ACCEPT everything). When I
>changed the "forward" policy to ACCEPT, a few domains started working,
>like hotmail.com. Why does one or two domains work, but most do not?

Seems to me that
1) you are running a caching name server
2) you are blocking DNS port 53

Sendmail needs this to verify domains of outgoing mail.
If e.g. hotmail.com is in the cache (because recently used) no query is
done, so mail will work.
Set up your ipchains to protocol blocked tries.

If I guessed wrong try turning off the whole firewall, just turn on
masquerading and try again.

Hope this helps

leo

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:12:24 +0100
From: Job Eisses <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: YEHAA!!!

Matt Anderson wrote:

> Just thought I'd let EVERYBODY know that I finally got my VERY FIRST network
> up and RUNNING!! Keyword =  RUNNING!!  I am so excited.  I'm very proud of
> myself, because not only did I set up linux (Red Hat, boy was that
> hard--kidding), but my very first network.  All in the same night.   I
> pinged, ftp'd and telnet'd into my linux box from windows.  It may seem
> simple to you, the advanced user, but I'm excited.  Thanks to everyone who
> helped me out

Van harte gefeliciteerd - as we say here. (== from heart congrats).
The next big thing is configuring, compiling, booting and running
your own linux kernel - man, that is flying.               -job

------------------------------

From: Tom Neilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Crossposted-To:
vmsnet.networks.misc,comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.os2.networking.server,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:18:49 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Tony Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: and I would have thought Krakatoa(or Krakatua)was more appropriate for
: an NT pdc? <g>

Hum...
I always though Humus would have been a more apropriate fit. As in "sense of
humus" - which one must acquire to maintain an NT platform <G>.

------------------------------

From: Eric Plante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with DHCPCD 1.3
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:19:42 GMT

There's about a gazillion messages on this group about this, all of them saying
"install the new rpm!". About half a gazillion of those messages are replies to
messages where it is clearly stated that the poster already HAS updated. This guy has
1.3.17pl5, which is actually a LATER revision than the one in the new dhcpcd rpm.

To Olivier, the original poster:
I have made the update that is required for 2.2.1, which includes the v1.3 client. I
seem to have a problem very similar to yours (and I also use the ne2k-pci driver...
Hey I'd bet your provider is either Videotron or Bell Quebec :-) )... I've just
downloaded the source to 1.3.17pl5 and will try that, but since it doesn't work for
you, it doesn't look good for me. I've tried contacting the author of dhcpcd (who I
assume is Sergei Viznyuk), without any luck yet (dns problems it seems). Let's keep
in touch.

--
+-- Eric Plante ----- www.iro.umontreal.ca/~plante ---------+
|     Laboratoire d'infographie, département d'informatique |

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Industrial" Ethernet
Date: 21 Mar 1999 10:59:25 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Install a backbone consisting of redundant fiber between platforms in a Bus
> configuration. Install a media converter and hub on each platform thus
> converting to a Star configuration.
>
> My limited knowledge of Ethernet tells me that a Bus topology depends on
> being "terminated" at every end and will fail the entire network if a cable
> breaks, and that a Star topology will continue to operate if one segment
> fails as long as the hub continues to operate. My concern is (with this given
> topology) if the backbone is cut between the platforms, does the star network
> on the "stand- alone" platform continue to operate?

Basically, this depends on the media converters themselves.  Many
Ethernet hubs have optical uplinks.

Anyway, my experience of comms in industrial environments makes me
very reluactant to use electrical connections of any kind.  I would
reccomend fiber instead, even *within* each platform.  Things like
welding really disable you, otherwise.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: "Mike Kompar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:27:11 -0500

I've got a slightly similar problem.  I've got a 2 gig Jaz drive using the
Traveller SCSI / parallel adapter.  I'm doing a fresh install of Redhat
5.2 -during the setup it asks me if I have a SCSI adapter - which I answer
yes and I see in the list is Iomega's parallel to SCSI zip driver.  When I
choose it and use autoprobe I get "your hardware was not found".  I've also
tried to custom setup using address 0x3bc with the same result.  I have
gotten it to work in 5.1 before using the command insmod ppa ppa_base=0x3bc
and then mapping it.  But never on startup.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
mike
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric Plante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A fix for dhcpcd-1.3.17-pl5
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:26:04 GMT

Did this fix your connection problem?

Eric.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morely Dotes)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: [*nix humour] MS Advertising Campaign?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:25:01 GMT

The residents of Silicon Valley are more confused than usual after a
billboard campaign by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society of America.

One of the ads uses the slogan "MS: It's not a software company"
exploiting the fame of a certain company to draw attention to an
altogether worthier cause. Requests to comment on the campaign have been
met by a surly silence by Microsoft which doesn't relish the association
of ideas, but is painfully aware that it can't afford to appear
insensitive over such an issue.

Seasoned IT professionals will have no trouble telling the two MS's apart.
One is a debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that renders
the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. The other is a
disease.

--
 "Opt-out is a cop-out."  -  Jerry Bookter
 [ No "courtesy copies" via e-mail, please. ]

------------------------------

From: Kevin Dempster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linuxconf and passwd rules
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 05:40:03 +1100

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Davis, P.Eng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable Modems & Linux
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:49:46 -0500

The other thing to keep in mind is that most cable modems are designed to
record the ethernet address of the nic to which they are connected. The
ethernet address is recorded when the cable modem is reset/powered-up. If
the first ethernet address it sees on the net is not the address from the
machine that you are using to connect to the internet you will be locked
out. This same thing will apply if you ever change nics in your internet
connected computer.

I would agree that a second nic and ip masquerading is the way to go. I have
been running my linux box using two nics, ip masqeurading and a cable modem
for almost a year. I haven't even had to touch it.

--
Stephen Davis, P.Eng
Chrysalis-ITS, NSP Software Project Manager

tel. :     (613) 723-5076 ex. 252          fax:       (613) 723-5069
email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     web:       www.chrysalis-its.com
--

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<http://edge.fireplug.net>
> > PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68
>
> Spend $60 on a decent, fully  supported NIC, such as a 3Com 3c509B (ISA)
or 3c905B

------------------------------

From: "kari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help w/ppp dial out
Date: 24 Mar 1999 18:07:01 GMT

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD GIVE SOME DETAIL AS THE
"HOW TO" OF WHAT YOU SPEAK ABOUT.

THS,

KARI

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AOL and Linux
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:00:32 GMT

Hi folks,

My girlfriend currently uses Internet Explorer to check her AOL mail via
AOLnet. I've read from the documentation, that this can also be done on
Netscape running on Win 95.  Does anyone know if this is possible using
Linux's Netscape?  Is there a different way of checking her AOL mail while
using Linux?

Thanks...

Allan Uy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]