Linux-Networking Digest #432, Volume #12         Tue, 31 Aug 99 22:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Can an ISP detect masquerading? ("Christophe POIRIER")
  Re: News Proxy (Jimmy Lio)
  Re: possible to kill pppd w/o disconnect modem? (Mario Moder)
  IPX Router (Dan)
  Re: while routing - casual paket loss (bill davidsen)
  Re: IPChains, MASQ and FTP help (Allen Wong)
  Re: DHCP troubles (David Crooke)
  Connecting to a WAN (Evan Panagiotopoulos)
  Re: Is Linux Better than FreeBSD as Router ? (bill davidsen)
  Re: pppd 2.3.9 won't compile (Kevin Phillips)
  Re: Problems with setting up a EZ2000(NE2000 compatiable ) network card on Linux
("Tony")
  Help Installing Xircom Realport REM56G-100 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Swap over NFS on kernel 2.2 (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
  IP Masq Changes in Kernel 2.2.12 (Allen Wong)
  Re: NFS caching (David Crooke)
  boot disk problems... (Mark Charland)
  samba-2.0.5a ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  TLAN and DHCP ("gigabit")
  Hostname for PPP connection? (Edward S Meadows)
  Re: Compiling kernel (Jimmy)
  Re: CGI displays raw HTML code? (David Crooke)

From: "Christophe POIRIER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can an ISP detect masquerading?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:52:50 GMT

Hi,

> a tech-guy of my ISP claims that they are able to detect a host running
> Linux IP masquerading (and, of course, that it is forbidden by their
> policy to use this.) Is this true? Are there network expert here who can
> comment on this?

A network expert is able to do whatever he wants on your machine when you
are directly connected to his computer... The only problem is to convince
the lawyers using legal methods. I don't think it is legal to forbid
masquerading, and your computer only acts as a gateway. For a non expert,
the sole thing which can help to find whether or not you are masquerading is
the heavy traffic on the network connexion, coming from many sites at once.

Bye, Christophe POIRIER

------------------------------

From: Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: News Proxy
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:51:52 +0800

Jerry Craker wrote:

> leafnode does not "cache" newsgroups per-se.  However, it does server as
> both server/client.  You set it up to download from the up-line
> newsserver, and connect to it through your news client.

I don't quite get it... Can you elaborate more?

Jimmy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mario Moder)
Subject: Re: possible to kill pppd w/o disconnect modem?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:51:17 GMT

On 29 Aug 1999 08:09:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am wondering if it is possible to kill pppd without disconnecting
>the modem?

It is the normal way to kill pppd (often by scripts) for
disconnecting.

Greetings,

        Mario

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general,redhat.general
Subject: IPX Router
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:31:07 GMT

I am setting up a linux router for the high school in my school district.
It it is connected to the WAN via tokenring. It connect two diffrent
ethernet segments together to the tokenring and does pass tcp/ip very
well. I am having a problems getting ipx to work on the token ring as a
tokenring ipx router. the two ethernet segments work with each other and
is passing ipx. I have added the folowing to my inittab file to deal with
ipx.

ipx1:3:once:ipx_interface add -p tr0 802.2 a0200
ipx2:3:once:ipx_interface add eth0 802.2 4326634
1px3:3:once:ipx_interface add eth1 802.2 4343675
ipx4:3:once:ipx_internal_net add a0400 43643264
ipx5:3:once:/usr/sbin/ipxd -d

The techies have told me that the tokenrings address ipx node is a0400.
I have no clue what the proglem is...
Thanks Dan

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: while routing - casual paket loss
Date: 31 Aug 1999 21:45:16 GMT

In article <7qesbi$bh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| we have a network of three segments seperated from the internet by a
| firewall. the three segments are routed by a server running three
| networkcards, kernel 2.0.37, samba, apache and dns. on low traffic
| everything works fine/perfect.
|
| on high traffic times the router just drops pakets of a station for a
| few minutes (, while all the other workstations are routed normal).
| this can happen to any computer on any segment (looks like
| the failure is random). after a while everything works normal again.

  If the router, fileserver, web server, nameserver is in any way a
small machine, I suspect you are running out of cycles. You have the
symptoms of "sure it will run everything, it's Linux!" disease.

  You *may* get some relief by compiling the kernel with the option
"optimize as a router, not a server," assuming I've guessed your
problem. There's another option, something like "CPU is too slow to do
useful work," or something like that. Read the description, but my
opinion is that if you really are running out of cycles, get more. Move
the servers off to another machine, or use an old PC as the router.

  If the problem is something else, do share it!

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
"So let it be written, so let it be dumb." Pharaoh Dufus the last...

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPChains, MASQ and FTP help
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:20:49 -0700

Joe,

    Try "/sbin/modprobe/ip_masq_ftp".  HTH

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP troubles
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:08:25 GMT

Have you tried pump instead of dhcpcd? I have found it works better with
certain DHCP servers.
--
David Crooke, Austin TX, USA. +1 (512) 656 6102
"Open source software - with no walls and fences, who needs Windows

------------------------------

From: Evan Panagiotopoulos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Connecting to a WAN
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:47:07 -0400

Hello,
in the the school's lab several machines are connected to a WAN. I'm in
the process of installing, with dual boot, Linux 5.2. I don't want to be
able to either telnet or ftp to the Linux boxes. I need Linux to act as
an Internet browser and word processing terminal. Currently the Windows
clients have Novell software. Can I figure out from Novell IP addresses,
DNS servers etc?

Thanks,
--
Evan Panagiotopoulos
Valley Central High School

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Is Linux Better than FreeBSD as Router ?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 21:59:34 GMT

In article <7qghl3$6p6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kalle Wisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| WHAT ???
|
| A Cisco router is ok (we have one too), but paying over 1k$ is for s.th.
| like a router is far too much !!!
| We have a firewall (it is routing too of course) with RH 6.0 on a 486DX2-66
| Box (32MB), which is oversized.

He didn't say firewall, he said router. Unless you have a source of ISA
cards with multiple NICs which I've missed, you don't build a router on
any 486.

Actually, it's fairly hard to do with any PC, the multi-NIC cards are
pricy, and I don't know driver status for Linux. You really want to be
able to get at least eight connections to call it a router.

Someone will probably post the source for a 10 port ISA card for $200,
of course ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Phillips)
Subject: Re: pppd 2.3.9 won't compile
Date: 31 Aug 1999 23:26:37 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:49:57 -0400, dps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello all ...
>
>Can't get pppd 2.3.9 to compile on my slackware (kernel 2.2.12) box. I've
>followed the readme directions but it still bombs out with the following:

>sys-linux.c: In function `ppp_available':
>sys-linux.c:1640: warning: implicit declaration of function `makedev'
>cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -I../include -
>DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -DHAS_SHADOW   -c ipxcp.c -o ipxcp.o
>cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -I../include -
>DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -DHAS_SHADOW   -c md4.c -o md4.o
>cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -I../include -
>DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -DHAS_SHADOW   -c chap_ms.c -o chap_ms.o
>cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -I../include -
>DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -DHAS_SHADOW -o pppd main.o magic.o fsm.o lcp.o
>ipcp.o upap.o chap.o md5.o ccp.o auth.o options.o demand.o utils.o
>sys-linux.o ipxcp.o md4.o chap_ms.o
>sys-linux.o: In function `ppp_available':
>/usr/include/sys/stat.h:169: undefined reference to `makedev'
>make[1]: *** [pppd] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ppp-2.3.9/pppd'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>I've just upgraded to gcc ver 2.7.2.3, enabled PPP in my new kernel rebuild,
>and I am at a standstill here.
>
>Can anyone help?

Hi!

I here's a fix that worked for me:  (WARNING: THIS IS FROM MEMORY,
AND MY NEURAL MEMORY IS DEFINITELY NOT NON-VOLATILE :-) )

Add the following line somewhere in the beginning of sys-linux.c
(in the pppd directory of the source code for pppd):

#include <sys/sysmacros.h>

makedev() is a macro that takes two arguments and is defined in
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h.

Best regards,
Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with setting up a EZ2000(NE2000 compatiable ) network card on
Linux
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:22:22 +1000

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I do not really know how to use the insmod, when i go

cd /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net

and type in

insmod ne.o

I get

ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
ne.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_debug
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
ne.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_close

I get the same when I type

insmod ne2k-pci.o

When I type

cd /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net

modprobe -v *

I get

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/X
                           /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/X: init_module:
Device or resource busy

for each X = 8390.o, 3c509.c,3c515.o,3c59x.o

Thanks for the help

Tony

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help Installing Xircom Realport REM56G-100
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:33:58 GMT

Hello All,

  I just recieved my Xircom Realport REM56G-100BTX but I am clueless on
how to install in under Redhat Linux 6. I have looked at many how to's
but I get more and more confused. I bought the card because most people
reported good success and easy setup with the card. During te Linux
boot i see a message that the IRQ resource can't be allocated so I am
assuming there is an IRQ conflict going on. Could some one point me in
the direction of a good tutorial (for a Linux beginner) on setting up
this Xircom card with RedHat 6? If someone wouldn't mind posting what
they did to get it going I would be grateful. Thanks!

P.S. I installed KDE as the desktop but cannot figure out where the
good old RedHat control panel is located. Any suggestions?

--

David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Swap over NFS on kernel 2.2
Date: 1 Sep 1999 08:55:09 +0800

Where can I get "nfs-swap" for kernel 2.2?  Or is it already built into the
kernel?  Thanks.

Napi

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Masq Changes in Kernel 2.2.12
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:30:16 -0700

    I just installed kernel 2.2.12.  Prior to this, I ran 2.2.1, the
stock kernel of Stampede Linux 0.89.  This machine is my internet
gateway and I have set up IP masquerading.  I have had to make a change
in my firewall rules to permit ftp access outside my network.  With
kernel 2.2.1, I used these rules to permit ftp access from my local
network to external ftp sites:

/sbin/ipchains -A input ! -y -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 ftp
/sbin/ipchains -A input ! -y -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 ftp-data

Now, I must use this:

/sbin/ipchains -A input ! -y -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 ftp
/sbin/ipchains-A input -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 ftp-data

If I do not, I am able to ftp into an ftp site, but when I issue the
"ls" command, I get this:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out.

Does anyone know why?  TIA

Allen

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS caching
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:05:04 GMT

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> bill davidsen wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone done anything to reduce network traffic between client and
> > server when the data on the server is known not to change? I'm being
> > very vague because I don't want to scare off any good solutions.

There is a cached implementation of NFS desgined exactly for this
purpose, e.g. for serving /usr/local for a roomful of workstations from
a central point. I believe the product "PC-CacheFS" is a version of this
sort of thing.

Dave

From: Mark Charland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: boot disk problems...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:31:03 GMT

help! I'm trying to upgrade from rh 5.2 - 6.0. I downloaded the bootnet.img
file from 2 different locations and i keep getting the same message when
booting w/ the disk. it loads 2 files, then it says:

uncompressing linux...

crc error

--system halted

i reformatted the floppy each time in dos before using rawrite.

i even tried my original 5.2 install disk and it was the same message.

When I tried it on a non linux box, it worked...

Thanks,
Mark

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: samba-2.0.5a
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:58:07 GMT

Hello all :)
Recently I upgraded my samba suite from 2.0.3-8 to 2.0.5a and ever
since my autoscript for smbmount stopped working.

I've noticed there's a change in the smbmount syntax ...and I don;t
seem to be able to make it mount w/o asking for the password. Before
I'd do:

smbmount \\\\server\\share PASSWORD -I x.x.x.x -U USERNAME -
c 'mount /mountpoint'

now the new smbmount gives me an incorrect  syntax error ...
I just can't figure it out. Has anybody had the same issue ?

Any comments would be truly appreciated!!

Regards,
Petar Karafezov

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "gigabit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TLAN and DHCP
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:41:56 GMT

Help.....I am running Linux Mandrake (2.2.9-19mdk) with a Compaq Netelligent
Ethernet card (tlan drivers).

The issue is:

When I setup for a static IP, everything works fine.  Interface comes up and
works without a hitch.

When I change the config to DHCP, the interface starts to come up, it gets
an IP address and then the interface dies (the link light out on the HUB and
I can not restart it)

Not sure where to go from here.  I don't really know that much about Linux
yet so net really sure how to troubleshoot this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward S Meadows)
Subject: Hostname for PPP connection?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 21:57:54 -0400

I connect my home machine to the world via a PPP connection
at the University of Delaware, where I work.  The domain
there is udel.edu, so I gave my local machine the hostname
tiago.udel.edu.  I find that I can't use mail from home
because my ISP rejects tiago.udel.edu as a valid hostname.

What should my hostname be in this case?  The apparent
hostname that my ppp connection has on the remote machine is
ppp-as10-14.nss.udel.edu.  Is that relevant?

Thanks for any tips.

Edward S. Meadows                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Chemical Engineering    Office: (302) 831-0726
University of Delaware         Home/fax: (302) 369-0777

From: Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.config,linux.dev.newbie
Subject: Re: Compiling kernel
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:16:24 +0800

1. could u describe what's the difference between 'make zImage' and 'make
bzImage'? or just send me the URL for this info.

2. do u know what 's the problem is with the following err msg at the end of
kernel compilation?  i got the err, "System is 525k, System is too big. Try using
bzImage"
Thank u very much!

Johnny Chen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CGI displays raw HTML code?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:12:02 GMT

Jason Vroustouris wrote:

> I had this problem to.
> I was using a redhat 5.2 linux box.
> In my case all the files with .html whould show fine.
> Files with .cgi and .htm would not.
> I whent into the file /etc/mime.types and added lines 1 and 3:
> text/html                       htm
> text/html                       html
> text/html                       cgi
> After restarting the web server the problem was fixed.
> I think that ie will display files not classified as text/html as html if
> it finds tags.  Howerver NS relys on the mime info.  If you are on another
> os I think there may be some keys in the server's registry (nt/95/98) that
> associate file extentions with mime types.

If the CGI is properly written, it should output "Content-Type:
text/html" among its headers. The browser is under no obligation to
assume anything it receives is HTML unless told so explicitly.

Likewise, a web server should set the appropriate content type when
serving static pages.

The use of ".htm" instead of ".html" is of course a Microsoft-ism to
support one or more of their broken OS'es with its silly 8-dot-3
filenames.

Dave