Linux-Networking Digest #494, Volume #12          Tue, 7 Sep 99 05:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Samba and Sharing a connection between linux and windows 98 ("W.A. Scheer")
  Re: NFS problems under linux yet again (Norman Elliott)
  Re: SOHOWare Fast Auto 10/100 PCI -- Tulip ? ("Y. T. Chow")
  Re: Masquerading and Hub ("D. Wade")
  help!! connection reset by peer (SAMBA) ("Frank Bauer")
  Re: HELP: NFS across Router? ("M.C. van den Bovenkamp")
  Re: Modem Sharing ("Quiney, Philip (EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)")
  Re: dhcp and multiple interfaces (BLANCHER Cedric)
  SOHOware NIC Compatibility With Red Hat Linux 6.0 ("Y. T. Chow")
  IP MASQ works - How secure is it? (Roger)
  HOWTOs   <- newbie ("Jason Martin")
  Re: IP Address (BLANCHER Cedric)
  Re: Linux & Cisco Lab (".")
  Networking and 2.2.x problems (Matthew Vernon)
  Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs) (Henry Vermeulen)
  lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. (Wingkuen Chung)
  IP Address (Maurice Reid)
  Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs) (Henry Vermeulen)
  Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs) (Alexander Ackermann)
  Re: Maintaining 2 Networks (Tony Green)

From: "W.A. Scheer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba and Sharing a connection between linux and windows 98
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:18:19 -0700

Go to The Linux CookBook Project at http://members.xoom.com/dansgold

------------------------------

From: Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.nfs,linux.debian.user,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: NFS problems under linux yet again
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 07:54:56 +0000

Monte Phillips wrote:

> Pat,  You might want to try this question on comp.protocols.smb
> Jeremy Allison of the samba team monitors this and might just have an
> answer, maybe not.   BTW  are you running samba .5a  if not, upgrade
> all of the 2.0's are buggy.
>
>  Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm afraid I'm back and still having problems with NFS.
> >machine 1 is Redhat 6 running linux 2.2.10-ac12, knfs 1.4.6
> >machine 2 is Debian 2.1 running linux 2.2.10, knfs 1.4.6
> >machine 3 is Redhat 5.2 running linux 2.2.6
> >
> >both machines 1 and 2 can mount drives on 3
> >but  nothing can mount a drive on machines 1 or 2, I get
> >"mount:  failed, reason given by server: Permission denied" on the
> >client machine
> >and
> >"mountd[520]: authenticated mount request from machine "
> >"mountd[520]: getfh failed: Operation not permitted" on the server
> >As far as I can tell from hunting dejanews, this isn't a message that
> >seems to be appearing for anyone else. Does anyone have any suggestions
> >about where to look next?

Samba is only for Microsoft products.
best wishes,
norm

------------------------------

From: "Y. T. Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOHOWare Fast Auto 10/100 PCI -- Tulip ?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 06:19:59 GMT

Correction:  The Web site for NDC is www.ndclan.com.  The fix is posted at
www.ndclan.com/technic/100fe002.txt.

------------------------------

From: "D. Wade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Masquerading and Hub
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 06:40:43 GMT

Rod Smith wrote:

> [...]
> > modem.
> >
> > My Masquerading box has two ethernet cards, but both NIC's are connected
> > to the same common hub. On the masquerading box, running 'tcpdump', I
> > see arp's happening and windoze box responding to both NIC's.
> >
> > On the windoze box running netscape, I see the HTTP get going out, but
> > masquerading box does not pass the reply from the world, to the private
> > network. Is the linux masquerading confused by seeing the windoze box
> > on both NIC's
> >
> > Do I need two seperate hubs?
>
> The cleanest way to do it would be to use two hubs, with a setup like this
> (you'll need a monospaced font to see this correctly):
>
>                           cable
>                 ----------hub 1----------
>                 |           |           |
>               comp1     masq-comp     comp2
>                 ----------hub 2----------
>                 |           |           |
>               comp3       comp4       comp5
>
> The way you've got it configured, it should also work, AFAIK, but I've
> never done it that way myself.  Just to be clear, here's a diagram of how
> I understand your network is configured (please correct me if I'm wrong):
>
>                   cable
>         ----------hub 1-------------------------------------
>         |          | |           |        |        |       |
>       comp1     masq-comp     comp2     comp3    comp4   comp5
>
> You're using two NICs on "masq-comp," one to access the cable modem,
> comp1, and comp2 using IP addresses assigned by the cable company, the
> other to access comps 3-5 (or however many you've got) using private IP
> addresses.
>
> I've two immediate ideas about why it might not be working:
>
> 1) Incorrect gateway -- What's the gateway machine for the masqueraded
>    computers (comps 3-5)?  It should be set to the Linux box that's doing
>    the masquerading ("masq-comp" in the above diagram).  What's more, the
>    address should be the INTERNAL network address of that machine
>    (probably something in the 192.168.x.x range, though there are a couple
>    of other ranges you can "legally" use).
>
> 2) Incorrect masquerading configuration -- Try posting the ipchains
>    commands you're giving to do the masquerading.  It's possible you've
>    simply set that up incorrectly.
>
> I've heard of people doing what you want using a single NIC on the
> masquerading computer, but configuring that NIC with multiple virtual
> interfaces (it's the IP: aliasing support option in the kernel
> configuration, and results in Ethernet device names like eth0:1). It's
> conceivable that configuring your system in this way would simplify
> matters, though I don't know of a reason offhand that your multi-NIC setup
> would cause extra problems.
>
> --
> Rod Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

Thanks for the reply.
Here is my masquerading script:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

# MASQ timeouts
# 2 hrs timeout for TCP session timeouts
# 10 sec timeout for traffic after the TCP/IP "FIN" packet is received
# 60 sec timeout for UDP traffic (MASQ'ed ICQ users must enable a 30sec
firewall timeout in ICQ itself)
#
ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60

# Enable simple IP forwarding and Masquerading
#
# NOTE: The following is an example for an internal LAN address in the
192.168.0.x
# network with a 255.255.255.0 or a "24" bit subnet mask.
#
# Please change this network number and subnet mask to match your
internal LAN setup
#
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.20/24 -j MASQ

I'm confused. By running 'tcpdump' on each NIC (internal and external),
I could see
masquerading box ask for 'robin', and the windoze box would arp back to
each.

Thanks,
Donovan Wade

--
Please remove the 'LY' to respond.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Bauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.protocols.smb,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: help!! connection reset by peer (SAMBA)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:20:24 +0200

since update from Kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.10 (Distr. SuSE) we've got big
problems with getting disconnections from our samba server.

the most important entry in smb.log: (I think so)

[1999/09/06 09:30:59, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(507)
    read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
[1999/09/06 09:30:59, 1] smbd/server.c:exit_server(406)
    Closing connections

does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks
Frank

Our Samba Version 2.0.5b (current release according to samba.org)

our smb.conf

[global]
 workgroup = BB3
 server string = Samba Server
 guest account = nobody
 keep alive = 30
 os level = 2
# war vorher security = user und Zeile mit password server ist neu
 security = server
 password server = 192.168.21.1
 printing = bsd
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 load printers = yes
 encrypt passwords = yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
# oplocks = yes
# fake oplocks = no
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 dead time = 30
 read prediction = yes
 read raw = yes
 write raw = yes
 getwd cache = yes
 debug level = 2
 max log size = 1000
 create mode = 755
 directory mode = 755
 dos filetimes = yes
 dos filetime resolution = yes
 case sensitive = no
 short preserve case = yes
 preserve case = yes
 interfaces = 192.168.21.2/255.255.255.0
 wins support = no
 wins server = 192.168.21.1
 local master = no

[homes]
 create mode = 0750
 writable = yes
 comment = Heimatverzeichnis
 browseable = no
 locking = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

[FUER_ALLE]
 writable = yes
 comment = Installierte Programme
 path = /FOR_ALL
 browseable = yes
 locking = no
 write list = @nogroup,@users
 user = @users,@nogroup
 public = yes

[DATEN]
 delete readonly = yes
 writable = yes
 comment = Daten
 path = /DATEN
 public = yes
 create mask = 0766
 directory mask = 0777
[Data]
 delete readonly = yes
 writable = yes
 path = /DATEN/daten
 public = yes
 create mask = 0766
 directory mask = 0777

our hardware:
AMD K6-2-350, 256 MB RAM, IPC Vortex Raid-Controller, Intel EtherExpress
Pro100+, Asus P5AB, S3 VGA

------------------------------

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: NFS across Router?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:50:22 +0200

Herbert Haas wrote:

> the following figure illuszrates this simple problem: the client cannot mount
> the exported directories of the NFS server. But systems on the subnet of the
> Server _CAN_ access these directories.
>
> NFS-Server ------------------ Router --------------------Client
>
> The client tells me: "rpc timeout"

There is no magic to running NFS across a router (unless the router does
some funky filtering), so I'd start looking at the config of the NFS
server, such as: default route pointing at router? Correct netmask?

Can you reach the server *at all*, as in 'does 'ping <server>' work?

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BGK 25
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724
        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip (EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,tw.bbs.comp.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Sharing
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:26:10 +0100

Norman Elliott wrote:
> I believe that since version 2.3.5 pppd has its own dial on demand
> so it doesn't need diald which sometimes has problems dropping
> the modem.
>
> Try man pppd
>
> best wishes,
> norm
pppd has the '-demand' option but it dosen't do dynamic IP addressing at
the same time so it is only of any use if your ISP statically allocates
you an IP address. I think (guessing here) it needs the IP address to
know to bring up the link - diald sets up a bogus SLIP connection to
achieve this.

I have been using diald for some months and it has never dropped the
line unexpectedly ;-) My only problems with it were to do with
firewalling out all that net bios stuff and getting the diald filter
timeouts to my liking. Diald actually bringing the link up/down was
never a problem for me.

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             Digital PowerLine,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: BLANCHER Cedric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dhcp and multiple interfaces
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:03:27 +0200

Brian Evans wrote:

> Has anyone tried to run a dhcp server(dhcp2.0b1p16) on a machine with
> multiple interfaces and have it respond only to requests from one of the
> interfaces?  I'd like to have it only respond to requests from eth1.  Any
> ideas?

You can specify which interface dhcpd will monitor in /etc/dhcp
configuration file.
man dhcpd

------------------------------

From: "Y. T. Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SOHOware NIC Compatibility With Red Hat Linux 6.0
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 06:04:10 GMT

=======_NextPart_000_0008_01BEF8C4.8780DB80

I've been trying to get Red Hat Linux 6.0 to recognize my SOHOware NICs. =
 The manufacturer -- NDC -- posted a fix that included their version of =
the tulip.c driver that needs to be compiled into the Linux kernel.  =
Haven't been able to compile their tulip.c file to create a tulip.o file =
(getting lots of error messages when I run the gcc command).

Does anyone out there have these NICs and have you been able to get them =
to run under Red Hat Linux 6.0?  If so, how?  Thanks.

=======_NextPart_000_0008_01BEF8C4.8780DB80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080>I've been trying to get Red Hat Linux 6.0 to =
recognize=20
my SOHOware NICs.&nbsp; The manufacturer -- NDC -- posted a fix that =
included=20
their version of the tulip.c driver that needs to be compiled into the =
Linux=20
kernel.&nbsp; Haven't been able to compile their tulip.c file to create =
a=20
tulip.o file (getting lots of error messages when I run the gcc=20
command).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080>Does anyone out there have these NICs and =
have you been=20
able to get them to run under Red Hat Linux 6.0?&nbsp; If so, how?&nbsp; =

Thanks.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: IP MASQ works - How secure is it?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 02:18:08 -0500

Hi...  I have just got IP MASQ setup on my small home lan.  Now my 3
machines can share a single phone connection.

I was wondering though..  How secure is IP MASQ???

On the linux machine that acts as a gateway I have the following in my
hosts.deny

ALL:ALL
ALL:PARANOID

so I feel that the gateway machine is at least semi-secure, portmap and
other unnessary daemons not running.  However in order to get IP masq to
work I have these lines in my rc.local that seem to worry me...

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

These ipchain rules kinda worry me..

Is there any place where I can read up and familirizae<<sp>> myself with
IP Masq security hazards?

Thanks!!!!

------------------------------

From: "Jason Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HOWTOs   <- newbie
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:26:10 -0400

OK, I'm very new to the Linux thing, but I've read up in the groups on it.
I have a great deal of stupid questions I'd like to ask, but first I need to
know: are the HOWTOs available on the web somewhere?  Where?

--
-Jason Martin
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: BLANCHER Cedric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Address
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:50:34 +0200

Maurice Reid wrote:

> What are the files I need to change to alter my IP address of my Linux
> box?

You have to change the file that raises your interface up. On my Debian
GNU/Linux distribution, it is /etc/init.d/network.
You also have to change the way your box identifies itself by changing
/etc/hosts.
I think changing these two files will be enough.

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Cisco Lab
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:12:10 -0400

That's it!!!  Worked with minimal config changes...Thanks a 1,000,000.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Vernon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Networking and 2.2.x problems
Date: 06 Sep 1999 18:13:20 +0100

Hi,

        I've been having problems with the networkin to
dam.sel.cam.ac.uk for a long time now, and I'm no nearere to
enlightenment as to wahat the problem is.

System:486 w 100MB Hdd running Linux 2.2.10 (though I had this problem
when running 2.2.1), with a sensible network card (I don't recall the
make ATM).

Symptoms: try and ping dam.sel.cam.ac.uk from a a non-selwyn machine
(or indeed, access by any other protocol) - no response.

Workaround: log onto another selwyn machine, and ping
dam.sel.cam.ac.uk - now anywhere can get hold of dam (for a limited
period of time - overnight, we go back to the original problem).

Any ideas?

Certainly.

> ifconfig -a
$ /sbin/ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          Collisions:0

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
          unspec addr:[NONE SET]  Mask:[NONE SET]
          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          Collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:75:CC:61
          inet addr:131.111.129.234  Bcast:131.111.129.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:50
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

> netstat -rn
$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window irtt Iface
131.111.129.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0  0 eth0
0.0.0.0         131.111.129.62  0.0.0.0         UG        0 0  0 eth0

(apologies for the mangling and long line)

> arp -a

$ /usr/sbin/arp -a
rrw1000.sel.cam.ac.uk (131.111.129.173) at 52:54:00:DD:05:48 [ether] on eth0
rrw1000.sel.cam.ac.uk (131.111.129.173) at 52:54:00:DD:05:48 [ether] on eth0
$ uname -a
Certainly.

> ifconfig -a
$ /sbin/ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          Collisions:0

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
          unspec addr:[NONE SET]  Mask:[NONE SET]
          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          Collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:75:CC:61
          inet addr:131.111.129.234  Bcast:131.111.129.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:50
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

> netstat -rn
$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window irtt Iface
131.111.129.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0  0 eth0
0.0.0.0         131.111.129.62  0.0.0.0         UG        0 0  0 eth0

(apologies for the mangling and long line)

> arp -a

$ /usr/sbin/arp -a
rrw1000.sel.cam.ac.uk (131.111.129.173) at 52:54:00:DD:05:48 [ether] on eth0
rrw1000.sel.cam.ac.uk (131.111.129.173) at 52:54:00:DD:05:48 [ether] on eth0
$ uname -a

Thanks,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry Vermeulen)
Subject: Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:24:25 GMT

On 6 Sep 1999 20:58:10 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe) wrote:

>Have you checked /etc/ftpaccess.  Maybe you have
>only anonymous in there.  Do
>        man ftpaccess
>
>I use red hat 6.0. Yours maybe different.

I use RH6.0 either.
In inetd.conf i removed the -a switch. When i am right the ftpaccess
file then will not be used.

Henry

------------------------------

From: Wingkuen Chung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lance.c: Module autoprobing not allowed.
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 06:54:19 GMT

Hello There,

I used to run RH-5.0 Linux version 2.0.32 with my AMD PCnet/ISA
AM79C960KC ATONE/10BT APP2119 Rev-A.  When I did dmesg, I got
the following:

eth0: PCnet/ISA 79C960 at 0x300, 00 00 1a 18 08 84, probed IRQ 3, DMA 5.
lance.c:v1.09 Aug 20 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Now that I just installed RH-6.0 Linux version 2.2.5-15, the driver
fails at lance.c:init_module() with the message as said in the subject
line.  Though I feel tempting to just copy the older version of the
lance.c file and re-compile the kernel and module to see if it works
at all, I'd like to hear what people have to suggest in this community.

Please mail your reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you very much in advanced

Wingkuen Chung.

------------------------------

From: Maurice Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Address
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:29:20 +0100

What are the files I need to change to alter my IP address of my Linux
box?

Thanks.

--
Maurice Reid
Cygnus Automotive Limited

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry Vermeulen)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:22:10 GMT

On 7 Sep 1999 01:13:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt) wrote:

>1. You cannot login remotely as root.  If you need to do something as
>root, telnet in as a normal user then 'su -'.
i know

>2. Do you have names for connecting IP's in /etc/hosts or DNS?
No. What has DNS todo with FTP?
>3. Have you added anything to /etc/hosts.allow or hosts.deny?
No.
>4. What client are you using?
Win NT 4.0 workstation and Win95.
I have several Linux boxes for hosting.
2x RH6.0 and 1 RH5.1
A 6.0 gives all the trouble.
I installed the distribution with no network cart installed.
The ftp session is the last thing i need to get working

Henry

------------------------------

From: Alexander Ackermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:24:00 +0200

Henry Vermeulen wrote:

> On 6 Sep 1999 20:58:10 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe) wrote:
>
> >Have you checked /etc/ftpaccess.  Maybe you have
> >only anonymous in there.  Do
> >        man ftpaccess
> >
> >I use red hat 6.0. Yours maybe different.
> >
> I use RH6.0 either.
> In inetd.conf i removed the -a switch. When i am right the ftpaccess
> file then will not be used.
>
> Henry

look in the file /etc/ftpusers . This file contains usernames, that are
NOT allowed to FTP. Normaly, root should be in there. You just have to
comment this out if You want...

Best regards

--
Mainmetall GmbH
i.A. Alexander Ackermann

Postfach 1620
D 63886 Miltenberg

http://www.mainmetall.de

Email : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Maintaining 2 Networks
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:24:47 +0100

I am confused as to what problems you are having.  I am using my machine as a IP
masq'ing
gateway - a common use for a linux machine.  For this to work you have to have both
ppp and
eth connectivity - otherwise the IP masq'ing is useless.

This is not a new thing - I have been doing it since Slakware 2......